Chapter 2 ~ What am I?
572 9 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sirens went off repeatedly to create an eerie chorus of high pitch noise. 

Sighing internally I realized an ambulance must have come just in time. Honestly the idea of being dead was a whole lot less scary than my dad’s inevitable lecturing. Now that I knew him physically harming me wasn’t off the table I didn’t know what to expect. 

Regaining my senses something wasn’t quite right, I was, transparent? My body, it emanated a faint white light having no real form or shape.   

Looking down my stomach dropped further in anxiety. I was floating at least 20 feet off the ground some Tuesday this turned into. At this height I could see the entire scene unfold with police and spectators littered below. Among the crowd I heard a faint voice that I seemed to recognize.

“This is all my fault, this is all my fault, this is all my fault.” 

Somehow managing to lower to ground level I approached the lifeless shell my father had become.  In an attempt to sooth him I reached out only to phase through. Rather, Karen who followed him to the accident did what I couldn’t. 

“It’ll be okay David, you did nothing wrong everything will be okay. You were a great father.” 

Although I had to disagree with her on the ‘great father’ aspect I was still moved. He was a sobbing mess when confronted with my death I guess he did care for me, at least somewhat. 

The pitter patter of rain had begun to trickle onto the pavement. Gawkers soon after left one by one leaving solely my heartbroken father behind the police barrier.

~~~~ 

A few weeks have passed since my death and from that point on, it’s been immensely boring. Not being able to interact with anything means I’m essentially just a spectator. Don’t get me wrong I could still do certain typical activities like watching tv. Expect, I couldn’t choose the damn channel, it’s absolute torture. 

For a while I considered sneaking into places or visiting people’s houses. Even if I had the ability to go through walls being a total creepazoid wasn’t on my agenda. Lounging around my dad’s place was really the only option but it gave me time to think. 

Hovering in what was my room I lied down similarly to how I would when I slept. I couldn’t eat nor sleep but I often pretended to for a sense of normalcy. 

“I can’t believe you, you didn’t come because you’re friends were in town! That’s really the best excuse you have!” 

“Sorry but I have my own life as well, I figured we could just reschedule.” 

Ah, those two are fighting again this has become a routine.  I presume this is over Karen skipping out on my funeral a few days ago. It was quite the surreal experience not many people can say they went to their own funeral. I too was shocked at the sheer number of people in attendance. 

My town was quite small visa vie how word of me dying spread so quickly. It was unexpected when so many people came as well because my life was not very impactful. Occasional hellos to mediocre friends with subpar grades. The broken home which I lived in that was becoming more average in modern day America. Despite this here everybody was half of them I barely remembered. 

A picture from  junior year was placed beside an urn containing my ashes. Thank god I wasn’t trapped in that meat sac anymore was my only thought. I always felt wrong and disgusting having that body but then again I think that’s fairly normal? 

The bickering downstairs had grown even louder pulling me out of my train of thought. I guess I’ll go out for a nice evening stroll while everything blows over. 

My ability to fly used to be shaky at best but now I could with relative ease. Shifting through the roof I began my ascent astoundingly quickly. 

“I wonder how high I actually can go?” 

My answer came sooner than I thought as I broke through the atmosphere drifting into space.

“Um, this is cool and all but I should probably head back, do I even need oxygen?” 

Hold on, I can’t stop moving where are the brakes on this thing! Earth which had once filled my vision became smaller and smaller until disappearing from sight. Nothingness replaced my cozy blue planet, reminiscent of a dream I once had. 

24