CHAPTER 119 – Future project
1.4k 20 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday came, and as everyone waited for classes to start, Yi Yeonghan walked towards the podium at the front and called everybody’s attention to give the morning announcement.

“As you all know, Class Competitions will start this Friday. I’m taking volunteers to participate in the events, so each person will have to participate in at least one event.”

He said as he looked around the classroom. Immediately, every cadet started to talk among themselves, some of them even turning on their smartwatches to see the available events.

“Oh right.” Hajin muttered as his eyes went wide open.

Class Competitions were a special event that would take time before the midterms, and it was like the sports events of schools back on Earth.

There were multiple events where cadets were able to participate, from superhuman-like events like duels, dungeon time attacks, magic battles to more normal ones like gaming, singing, and even soccer and other more normal sports.

All in all, it was more close to a festival than a competition.

Hajin quickly turned to Cristopher.

“Hey, man. In which one are you going to participate?” Hajin quickly asked.

“Mm?” Cristopher glanced at him from the drawing he was making. He smirked, before going back to his drawing. “Magic battle.”

“Mm? Don’t you need to be a magician for that?” He tilted his head.

“Not really. It’s just that nobody would try to fight magicians while only using magic.” Cristopher shrugged.

“And you’re confident in it?”

“He.” He just smirked.

“...”

[Why wouldn’t I? Don’t you know that dragons are masters at magic?]

“!” Hajin opened his eyes wide. “Since when do you know how to do that?”

“Always. I just don’t use it much.” Cristopher said as he shrugged.

“I have some questions regarding your choice… But I’ll ask later...”

“Sure.” Cristopher said with a shrug.

Hajin shook his head and let out a deep sigh, as he turned to look at Rachel, who was sitting beside Cristopher.

“Rachel? Where are you going to participate?” He asked.

“Ah, the quiz event.” She said as she looked at Cristopher’s drawing.

“Oh, maybe I should participate in that one.” Hajin said as he contemplated. But someone interrupted his train of thought.

“Quiz event is already full.” Yi Yeonghan said from the podium, a smile on his face. “And so are soccer and basketball, guys.”

“He.” Cristopher smirked beside him.

“What are you-” Hajin frowned at him, but before he could ask anything, Yi Yeonghan spoke again.

“We need someone for singing and archery.” Yi Yeonghan said again. This time with his eyes locked on Kim Hajin.

Hajin looked back at him, before looking around the class. Everyone, and that included the smirking Cristopher, was looking at him.

“...I can handle archery.” He finally said with a sigh, as he turned to look at Yi Yeonghan.

“Perfect.” Yi Yeonghan said with a smile as he assigned him both to singing and archery.

“Wait, hey!” Hajin quickly called him as he saw that. “What are you doing? Erase that!”

“Alright, thank you, everyone! We’re done!” But Yi Yeonghan already pressed enter and submitted it.

“Why!?” Hajin just fell down on the desk as he let out a deep sigh.

“Pfft… Just resign yourself to your fate.” Cristopher said with a smirk.

“...You know?” Hajin spoke up to him with a glare. “I hate you sometimes.”

“Yeah, sure. How can you hate your best friend, man? Just relax. What could go wrong?” He said with a chuckle, making Kim Hajin let out a deep sigh.

Classes went by without a problem, and soon came the end of Monday’s classes. As they all started going out of the classroom, Cristopher called Rachel.

“Rachel, do you have something to do now?” He asked as he walked beside her.

“Now?” She asked as she tilted her head. “I was thinking about changing clothes and going to do my usual physical training before meeting you at the forest.”

“Mm.” Cristopher nodded as he rubbed his chin. “Anyways, come with me. I need to talk to you about something.”

Rachel tilted her head in confusion but still nodded.

“Yes.”

“Great, let’s go. I want to drink some chocolate while we talk.”

“Hey, can I go with you?” Kim Hajin asked.

“Sure, why not?” Cristopher said with a look that asked him why he would even ask for permission.

“Yes.” While Rachel just smiled as she nodded.

As they walked out of the classrooms’ building they talked about their weekends, particularly how Hajin and Olivia fought through the dungeon, as Rachel only studied and trained all weekend and Cristopher refused to say what he did. Not that Hajin didn’t know, as they both talked about it once Cristopher came back to the dorms with Evandel and Shina.

After a while they made it to one of the most popular Coffee Shops in the place, which was slightly empty, taking into account that classes just ended.

“Eluveitie? What does that mean?” Hajin asked as he looked around the place that was decorated in an interesting way.

“The Helvetian.” Cristopher said with a shrug.

“The what…?” Hajin tilted his head at the confusing name.

“Helvetian?” Rachel also tilted her head. “As in Swiss?”

“Yup, pretty much.” Cristopher shrugged. “This place has a good-tasting chocolate milkshake. And I also like the decoration.”

“I’m lost, what does Helvetian have to do with Swiss?”

“Long ago, Helvetia was how the western part of modern Switzerland was called.” Rachel explained. “They still use the word on their currency and postal stamps. Eluveitie is a gallic word.”

“And since when do you know gallic?” Hajin asked as he tilted his head.

“At this point, does it really surprise you?” Cristopher asked back as he sat down.

“Not much.”

“Anyways.” Cristopher said. “Let’s order and start talking.”

After that, they called for a waiter and ordered their drinks, which came not that long after.

“Do you have something to say to me, master?” Rachel was the first one to speak as she drank from her tea.

“Yeah, actually I do have something.” Cristopher nodded. “What is the English Royal Court guild’s specialty?”

“Um...” Rachel smiled awkwardly. “I would say that defensive equipment… But we don’t have that much going on. We have strong heroes, but nothing compared to Korea...”

“Right.” Cristopher nodded as he rubbed his chin. “You see. I was thinking that there may be something to do about that.”

“Huh?” This time, it was Hajin’s time to be surprised. “What do you mean?”

Rachel was also surprised, but not that much. In her mind, she was already accustomed to her master bringing up outstanding ideas and solutions. So she just decided to stay quiet and listen, as this was something that would not only benefit her.

“Well, you see, there’s this kid I know who has a compatibility with Natural Energy and elementals just like you.” He said before sipping from his drink. “The thing is, this proves my theory that there are people out there who are like you two but without a Gift that fits said compatibility like yours. Antonio, the kid I’m talking about, it’s probably one of those cases.”

“Whoa...” Hajin looked surprised, just like Rachel.

“But, I don’t get it, master. What does that have to do with England?” She tilted her head as asked.

“Well, I just wanted to know if you were interested in helping him adapt to it, just like I helped you.” He said before sipping from his drink.

“!” Both Hajin and Rachel were surprised at his words.

“Wouldn’t that be dangerous?” Hajin asked with a worried face. “You told me that we could blow up if something wrong happened.”

“Well, it’s not precisely a lie.” He answered with a shrug. “But it’s not like it’s impossible for her to help him. First, because people with affinity like her or Antonio are able to tolerate this energy, second because I’ll teach her how to actually do that.”

“I want to do it!” Rachel spoke, interrupting the small chat between Hajin and Cristopher.

“Mm? Really?”

“Really!?”

Both Cristopher and Hajin asked at the same time.

“Yes.” Rachel nodded eagerly. “I now know why you asked me if the English Royal Court has something they specialize in!”

Cristopher smiled at her.

“I don’t get it.” Hajin tilted his head, before he got a moment of inspiration. “Wait. Do you mean to…?”

“Yep.” Cristopher shrugged. “I thought that maybe Rachel would be able to start increasing the number of elementalists back in England.”

Hajin’s mouth was wide open at this point.

“But...” At this time, Rachel spoke, her expression full of worry. “Is it even possible?”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s just that... taking into account this kid you mentioned… I don’t know anyone else with an affinity for it...”

“That’s not actually a problem.” Cristopher said with a shrug. “You said so yourself. You were tested to see if you had an affinity with elementals, right?”

“Yes.” She nodded.

“We just need to modify that test a little bit. With you there, it won’t be impossible to detect if someone has an affinity. I will help you to do the initial testing and through this kid, Antonio, I will teach you how to help them develop it.”

The more she heard him talk, the more excitement arose in her heart.

“If everything goes according to my plan. England may as well become the crib for new elementalists.”

“Is it… true?” She asked, barely hiding her excitement and hopefulness.

“Of course. That is if everything goes according to the plan.”

“I’ll make sure that everything goes according to your plan, master!” Rachel said.

*Sigh...* Why is it that you always go and make stuff that surpasses my expectations?” Hajin said as he shook his head.

“Relax, it’s still something for the future.” Cristopher said. “Though, I will have to ask you something.”

“Yes! What is it?” She said.

“This kid I’ve talked about. Antonio. He will become one of the very first elementalists to grow in England.” Cristopher said with a serious tone.

“You don’t have to worry about that, master.” Rachel smiled after a little bit of contemplation. “I’ll make sure that he’s given the best treatment. I swear on my name, Rachel Elizabeth Louise, Princess of England.”

“Great.” Cristopher smiled before finishing his drink. “Well, that was all. As I said before, this weekend we’ll go outside, and try a Dungeon. I’ll take the kid with me so you two can meet, while also showing him what his future could be like.”

“Yes.” Rachel smiled.

“I swear that you’re the only lunatic that would take a kid to a dungeon.” While Hajin just sighed and shook his head.

***

At the same time, in another place inside Cube.

Tomer was currently sitting among some of her classmates. She’s been giving her best effort to accomplish the mission, trying to create a rift between Kim Hajin and Rachel.

At the same time, she had to kill her temper in order to build up rumors around those two, trying to make Rachel separate herself from him.

Thanks to that, she was able to mingle around normal cadets as if she was just another student at Cube, even inviting them out to a café on her own without feeling uncomfortable.

“Wow! Are you sure?” A female cadet asked Tomer with curiosity. “Kim Hajin and Rachel? Really?”

They were talking about one of the recent topics in the Academy, a rumor about a cadet, Kim Hajin, liking one of the most beautiful girls inside Cube, and even the world. Rachel.

“They’ve been closer lately... but isn’t that just because they're on the same team?” Another female cadet asked as she tilted her head.

Rachel was the target of admiration from multiple male cadets, who didn’t dare to approach her because of her background and beauty.

“No, trust me.” Tomer said, intervening. “I’m also in the same team, and the looks he gives her are something else. How do I say this… His eyes turn heart-shaped each time he sees her!”

All these rumors were, of course, created and instigated by Tomer.

“Really?” One of the female cadets asked her with her eyes wide open.

“Yes!” Tomer affirmed.

“But wait, isn’t Rachel always around Cristopher?” The other one asked.

“No, no. Trust me, I also thought about it. But I saw them going around, and Hajin’s always with them.” Tomer said. “It seems as if Cristopher’s his wingman.”

“Wow!” Both girls exclaimed excitedly.

“Wait. Isn’t Kim Hajin singing in the upcoming Class Competitions?”

“He’s not going to confess, is he!?” The other girl asked, both of her voices raising as they spoke.

“Kyaaak! Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps! I’m going to stab him to death if he does!”

“...Eh?” Tomer’s smile froze at her classmate's comment. “Stab him to death…?”

{Just how are these girls that say these kinds of things in plain daylight different from Djinns...?} Tomer thought seriously for a while as she saw both of her classmates talking.

***

Later that night, back at the dorms, Cristopher was currently looking at Evandel, who was trying her best to create a knob-scaled lizard.

{Is this supposed to be because of me giving her my blood?} He thought for a moment as she tried her best to create a lizard for the first time.

As Cristopher contemplated Evandel’s new ghost, a sudden vibration invaded his wrist.

[Kim Hajin: Hey.]

[Kim Hajin: It seems like Tomer will receive some kind of item this Wednesday during the Artifact Scramble. It seems it will be helpful for her mission.]

{Oh right, there was that too.} Cristopher thought with a nod.

[Cristopher: Yeah? And what are you planning to do?]

[Kim Hajin: I’ll steal it from her. I know where she’ll be. So it won’t be a problem at all. Though I need you to cover me in case anything happens.]

[Cristopher: Sure thing. No problem there.]

[Kim Hajin: Also. Are you up to something now? I need to talk about Chameleon Troupe.]

“He should have already received the invitation.” Cristopher muttered.

[Cristopher: Meet you outside, at the usual bench.]

Cristopher stood up as he finished his text and after sending it, he turned to Evandel.

“Hey, Ev. I’ll go out for a bit. Do you want some snacks?” He asked her.

“Mm? Yes~! I want a chocolate cake!” Evandel shouted without looking at him and just kept working on the ghost.

“Got it.” Cristopher said as he walked towards the door. “I’ll bring some back with me.”

“Okay~!”

Moments later, both Hajin and Cristopher met at the usual bench where they talked.

“So.” Cristopher said as he walked towards Hajin, who got here first. “What is it that you want to talk about? Also, do you mind if we walk as we talk?”

“Not really, but why?” Hajin tilted his head.

“Evandel wanted a chocolate cake, and I too want a chocolate cake.” Cristopher said with a shrug.

“Ha… You better don’t give her too many sweets at night.”

“Relax, I don’t.”

As they both started to walk towards, Hajin was the first to break the silence.

“So, I must ask. Why the magic battles?”

“I’m just curious. Haven’t really paid any attention to how magicians fight in this world, I thought it would be a great idea to experience it first-hand.” Cristopher shrugged.

“Even if that means showing off your abilities for all to see?”

Cristopher shrugged at the idea.

“I mean, after what I did to Shin Jonghak last semester, and after my sudden change of rank, what use is there in hiding?” He said. “Also, it’s not like I’ll go out of my way to use magic out of this world. At most, I’ll just creatively use the same spells that any other magician can use.”

“Oh well, if you say so.” Hajin shrugged.

Both of them stayed in silence for a little bit as they walked through Cube.

“I suppose that’s not what you wanted to talk about.” Cristopher spoke after a couple of minutes. ”I don’t see how I and the magic battles would be related to Chameleon Troupe.”

“No, you’re right.” Hajin nodded, his face turning serious. “She scouted me. Boss, I mean.”

“Mm? You mean that they want you to be a part of their gang?” Cristopher said as he tilted his head.

“...It sounds bad when you say it like that.” Hajin smiled awkwardly.

“It’s the truth though? They’re a gang. A criminal gang at that.” Cristopher shrugged. “And what’s your choice?”

“I don’t know.” Hajin said. “If I were by myself I wouldn’t doubt it. But with you here, I’m curious if I really have to be part of them.”

“What the hell does that even mean?” Cristopher frowned.

“I mean that we can form our own organization.” Hajin said. “Don’t you think so?”

Cristopher pondered for a bit as he rubbed his chin.

“It’s not impossible.” He finally said. “But wouldn’t it be better for you to be a part of their group?”

“Yeah… I thought so too.” Hajin nodded. “They were supposed to be one of the influential groups that Kim Suho would meet in the future, even if they were a criminal organization.”

In the original novel, Chameleon Troupe would be an organization that Kim Suho would meet and even fight against.

Though different from the evil organizations that were formed by Djinns, the Chameleon Troupe would be more of a grey organization. A criminal one, but at least one that wouldn’t kill indiscriminately. They would kill when needed, and when profit was available for them.

“But?” Cristopher asked.

“But… I was thinking that maybe I could change them from the inside, slowly turning them into an organization that would benefit humanity and fights against Djinns and Devils.”

“That sounds like a good plan.” Cristopher nodded. “Actually, it sounds better than nurturing Suho.”

“Why so?”

“They’re already powerful. That guy? Cheok Jungyeong? The bastard is strong, and his potential is even more impressive. Given time, he can become a great weapon against Devils, and right now, he’s strong enough to be a weapon against Djinns.”

“Now that you say it...” Hajin rubbed his chin for a moment. “Though, it’s not like I can’t do both, right?”

“Of course, I was just saying that it looked like a better plan, not like you can just choose one of the two.” Cristopher shrugged. “Anyways, there’s something else, isn’t there?”

“...Yeah...” Hajin nodded after a slight hesitation. “With their help… It would be possible to kill Chae Jiyoon quietly. Without getting discovered.”

“Mm...” Cristopher nodded with a frown. “Look, I don’t have the moral ground to say this, but killing Jiyoon and pretending that nothing happened it’s not a good idea. You do know that, right?”

“Ha… Yes… I know. Damn it… It’s just that...”

“You’re getting attached to them, huh?”

“Yes...”

“Hey, I don’t think it’s a bad thing… You’re human. You would be a psychopath otherwise.” Cristopher said. “I understand your worries.”

“Thanks...”

“No problem. But getting back on track. I would say that it’s not a bad idea for you to join them.” Cristopher said with a shrug. “Getting powerful partners and an efficient way to kill Chae Jiyoon. It’s not a bad plan.”

“A better plan than creating an organization with you?” Hajin lifted an eyebrow.

“Indeed. A better plan than creating an organization with me.” While Cristopher nodded with a smirk. “Besides, it’s not like we won’t work together from time to time.”

“True.” Hajin smirked.

“Then, that’s settled?”

“Yeah, pretty much. I’ll just have to go slowly with them. If I truly want them to help me, I better play hard to get.”

Cristopher chuckled.

“Right, do as you see fit. By the way...” Cristopher’s face turned pensive. “What are you going to do with the leaves from Mistilteinn?”

“...I don’t know.” Hajin sighed after a little while. “The only thing that crosses my mind is using them to make bullets.”

“God-slaying bullets huh.” Cristopher nodded as he rubbed his chin. “Were you going to give them to Yoo Yeonha for that?”

“Yeah.” Hajin nodded. “Just not now. I don’t think we have enough trust for that. I was planning to build a little bit more trust with her before that.”

“That’s good.” Cristopher nodded.

“But why do you ask? Did you have another use in mind?”

“Mm? Not per se. But I can’t increase its efficiency.”

“How?” Hajin asked with eyes wide open. “Wait… Don’t tell me you’re planning to engrave runes on the leaf...”

“Of course not. That would be stupid, and useless.” Cristopher rolled his eyes. “But I can imbue it with some of my powers.”

“Is that possible?”

“Of course it is. It’s like imbuing a sword with mana or Magic Power. Though in my present condition it is impossible to do it as I normally would. It’s still possible if you give me a few months, no, a few days. I just remember that I have something back at the dorms that I could use to accelerate the process by a lot.”

“Well.” Hajin shrugged. “It’s not like I don’t trust you. So here, have it.”

He took the leaf out of the Stigma and gave it to Cristopher.

“Great.” Cristopher said as he put it inside one of the pockets of his jacket. “By the way, I’ll grind it.”

“Huh? Why?”

“It’s necessary to accelerate the process.” Cristopher shrugged. “No problem with that, right?”

“Mm… No? I mean. Essence of the Strait would probably have to do the same to make the bullets.”

“Great. If everything goes according to what I’m planning, you’ll get yourself more bullets than you would if you just used the leaf.”

“I hope so.” Hajin nodded.

As they finished talking, they finally made it to one of the only places that sold sweets so late at night. Picking up a couple of chocolate cakes, both of them went back to the dorms.

48