Chapter 1: Welcome to Ivujni
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Congratulations, you have been sentenced to ten years as an adventurer. A merciful decision for me... Anyway, an instructor is here to take you, so, stand up and get out!"

I have remained in this prison for one week after my arrival in this world called Naohaya. They arrested me because of my threats back in my world... I took two days to accept the situation: I was not anymore on Earth. After that, I thought they would kill me but the introduction of my lawyer surprised me. Perhaps it was not over for me. He explained to me the situation and reassured me.

According to him, the city of Ivujni is sending regularly recruiters into my world to hire young people. Due to its small size and the number of battles, the city always lacks fighters. The earthlings, as they called us, allow them to keep the other countries at bay. They use us as adventurers. Because of the small area around the city, they need to collect resources on other worlds known as Scattered Worlds. The city attributes to adventurers the role to clean up these worlds from threats they are containing.

To solve the cultural differences between our two worlds, they developed an ensemble of tools to overcome them. One of them was the language tool which allows us to communicate. Without it, I would hear the gibberish language that the two hooded figures used on Earth.

After this short introduction, he affirmed his confidence that he could obtain a small punishment for me. After all, I was a foreigner that the recruiters scared nothing to worry about. Of course, I did not correct him about the reality of my situation. I met him regularly until today when my jailer announced my sentence. The news disrupts me:

"What to do you mean?"

"Are you deaf? I said you must leave! The instructor is waiting for you and if I was you, I would not let him stand around more!"

I pick myself up. The dirty clothes that I did not take off for one week stuck on the wooden bench where I lay. Disgusting... I hope this instructor has a strong nose... I follow the sentinel without looking back. At least, the worst is behind me, right?

I arrive in a small room where a giant is waiting. Perhaps no finally... He looks at me:

"Is this little runt?"

"Yes, I need your signature here and he will be all yours."

"Welcome brat, I am Stohin, your persecutor!"

A red alert rings in my head. That's sad to finish so nearly to my goal. The giant laughs:

"Haha, I was joking! If you see your face! Do not worry, we are colleagues now even if I am more experimented than you. I will bring you to the training grounds which will be your new house for a few months."

"I am relieved, to hear that..."

"All the formalities are done, you can go now," interrupts the guard.

"Alright, let's go!" said Stohin.

I follow him outside of the jail. A shiny sun welcomes my new freedom. I crease my eyes after one week without natural light. My vision backs, the scenery impress me. We stand on a huge bridge which isolates the prison from the city. Under it, a peaceful river flows. On the other side, a crowd attends to its business.

Even if my advocate and my jailer gave me a preview, this vision confirms that I left Earth. The clothes, varying from the simple tunic to the sophisticated coat, the timbered house on three floors, the paved street, all of these elements remind me of this fact. When they escorted me to prison, the blindfold prevented me to watch my surroundings. Stohin smiles:

"Every time, your reaction of earthling warms my heart! That's why I love my job. Come on, we have to traverse half of the city, you will have all the time to enjoy it!"

We cross the bridge. The guardroom at the opposite side let us past when they recognize Stohin. We blend in the crowd. My neck hurts, I do not know where to look, everything is... so different. I note some different people with excentric clothes. Their looks differentiate them from other people. I can help to ask Stohin:

"Who are they?"

"Them? They are zealot, religious people who consecrate all their time to study holy magic."

"Wait, there are magic?"

"Of course, how do you think you arrived there?"

"It makes sense... So, can I learn it?"

"Yes and no, as an adventurer you can but not now. You are still a novice after all."

"What does it mean?"

"All adventurers start as novice which is the lowest profession as an adventurer."

"I don't understand, my profession is adventurer, isn't it?"

"No, it is your corporation. Inside it, there are different professions. Novice is the first one. After the first part of your formation, you will choose between two possibilities but we will explain all in good time."

"If you said so..."

We continue our way for one hour. The crowd is thinning while we approach an immense rampart. Its size exceeds easily thirty meters! Integrally in stone. What an exploit with their technology level... We pursue until we arrived at a fortified gate where another guardroom stops us. Stohin gives them documents. While they are asserting them, he smiles in my direction:

"Welcome to your house for the next ten years: the Bastion! I am sorry we didn't take the Great Gate as usual but it is shorter here."

"It is incredible..."

"As you said. The Bastion is the home of earthlings while they are serving as adventurers. It is forbidden for them to go out without authorization. But you will see, you won't lack anything, inside, it is like a small city!"

"What? You mean I am a prisoner in this Bastion..."

"I know it looks like this but it is for security measure. And you often have the opportunity to leave it. If my opinion matter, I think it is the best place in Ivujni to reside!"

"Nice, a gilded cage... Do you have other news like this for me?"

"It is the most important rule I think... Do not leave without authorization the Bastion. Of course, you need to respect the usual rules of civilized societies, no murder, no robbing, this kind of thing... The other rules will depend on your conduct, so behave well!"

"Thank you for your consideration..."

After the inspection of documents finished, we engage ourselves inside the said Bastion. Stohin, delighted by our discussion, continues it:

"Now, we must go to the dormitories where you will rejoin your earthling comrade. You look a bit older than them but I am sure you will get along with them!"

"I hope. Are all earthlings adventurers?"

"No, Ivujnishes enlist too as adventurers even if our unit trains only earthlings. It is good social mobility if you survive long enough!"

"Glad to hear that..."

"We will teach you the basics so it is up to you to apply them!"

"I count on you... Earlier you said I was older, why?"

"Generally we recruit teenagers who are the sturdiest and the easiest to persuade. The older ones are our people who change their minds to become adventurers. It is the first time I have to train an earthling in his twenties."

"So, you never recruit or abduct adults?"

"Be careful with your words, I am sympathetic but not everybody is like me. We only recruit teenagers, so no, not in my knowledge at least."

"Because I had my parents who disappeared and I thought you could be the cause..."

"No."

He drops this word. The conversation stops on that. What a strange man this Stohin... He was speaking joyfully until I mention adults. I have quite interrogated people to know he is hiding me something but what? Is it about my parents or abductions of adults? Plus, their strange rule about not leaving the Bastion can only add fuel to my suspicion...

For now, I will concentrate on my survival but I will not stop my investigation. I will obey but deep down, I will remember my true objective.

The Bastion displays a similar architecture and disposition to its outside. The only noticeable difference is the population who changes drastically. They all possess work clothes or armor! Some are bearing weapons in their back or at their hip. The denomination adventurer crosses my mind. This scenery welcomes me into my new life.

 

Hello and thank you for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. I will try to update on Monday, Wednesday/Thursday(according to my progress), and Saturday. If you have any remark or question do not hesitate to comment on it.

0