Chapter 4
3k 8 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan watched as Evan helped Anton finish putting on the makeshift mask and air tanks, “Let me know when you want me to start.”

The two air tanks strapped to Anton looked just as sketchy as one would expect from a setup made in only an hour, as the only thing holding the tanks together were straps made from the same material Ryan used for their clothes. 

From the air tanks came a metal tube from each. The tubes connected to the tanks via valves and didn’t have hinges or any way to move. This meant once the one wearing it put on the mask, their range of motion became extremely limited. This also led to another problem as hissing sounds from escaping air came from them as they didn’t have time to experiment making materials for seals.

The mask connected to the tubes looked a little like an oxygen mask used in hospitals, but less bulky. It had several cracks, though nothing major, and had yellowed.

Evan tugged on one last strap, “Now should be good.”

Anton bounced on her feet to test the tightness of the setup. She then double checked the tool belt and pouches Ryan made for her, confirming her welding tool and metal plates were there, “Yeah, gotta get goin’ before all the air leaks from the tank!”

Becky paced by the door, “I still feel uncomfortable sending Anton alone.”

Mayu was watching from the med bay, “Yes, Ms. Becky. I do too.”

Evan nodded, “I agree, but with only one usable mask we have little choice in the matter.”

Anton stepped into the hallway, “I’ll be fine.” She gave Becky a grin, “Even if I die, it won’t be the first time!”

Becky sighed as she watched Anton put on a mask. 

Ryan closed the doors to the med bay and fabrication room, “Alright, switching the air to helium.” 

Anton walked to the end of the hall and went into the bathroom where she braced herself in the corner then turned a valve to start her air supply.

It took over two minutes for Ryan to remove the breathable air and exchange it with helium, “Ready, Anton?”

Anton gave a thumbs up and pushed herself tighter into the corner. 

Ryan gave the command to raise the door leading to the forward hallway, while simultaneously pumping helium into it. 

Air rushed through the gap as helium raced into the airless hallway beyond.

Once the force of the wind died down a few moments later, Anton grabbed a large metal plate they’d placed in the bathroom earlier. It was as big as she, but Ryan turned down the artificial gravity enough that its weight wouldn’t slow her down.

Anton rushed from the bathroom, turned left at the ‘T’ intersection and sprinted down the hallway.

As Anton approached the breach, the wind picked up again, but not enough to cause her trouble.

Anton held up the metal plate like a shield and slowed down at just the last moment before the plate contacted the breach, covering the largest hole easily.

Ryan immediately felt the life support struggle less to keep the hallway pressurized.

Anton quickly looked over the metal plate and adjusted it a little before reaching for her welding tool.

The air pressure helped her hold up the metal plate so she could hold it up with only her left arm while she welded with the right.

Once Anton secured the metal plate enough for it to hold itself up with just the welds, she let go of the plate with her left hand and grabbed a second welding tool with it. Anton’s welds were a little sloppy thanks to this, but she finished a lot faster.

Once Anton put a plate over the second largest hole, Becky gave a sigh of relief, “She did it.”

Evan shook her head, “She only has another minute or so of air left in those tanks.”

Ryan inspected the remaining damage, “I’ll start replacing the air once she covers the next hole.”

Becky leaned in closer to the hologram showing Anton at the breach, “She might have to hold her breath for a little while.”

Ryan heard the hissing of air escaping from Anton’s air tanks stop moments before she finished welding the second plate.

Evan stepped back, “Looks like we overestimated the time the tanks would last.”

Anton finished the weld and used her left arm to knock the mask away from her face, allowing her more freedom of movement.

The moment Anton put the third plate over the hole, Ryan began exchanging the helium for breathable air and started slowly increasing gravity back to normal, “Anton, I’m switching out the air. I’ll let you know when you can stop holding your breath.”

Anton gave a quick nod.

Mayu glanced from the hologram and to the door repeatedly until Ryan gave the signal, “Alright! There should be enough oxygen now.”

Anton exhaled and then took a deep breath, “I did it!”

Anton’s voice sounded high-pitched thanks to the helium, and she laughed at herself.

Mayu rushed to the door and left the med bay as soon as Ryan opened the door for her, the rush of pressure differences between the hallway and med bay barely slowing her down.

Evan moved away from the hologram she watched, “It looks like Ms. Richards succeeded without issue.”

Becky glanced at Evan before turning to the door, “It was close ...but she did it!”

Evan smiled, “Yes, yes she did.”

Mayu stopped next to Anton as she patched her fifth hole, her voice a higher pitch thanks to the helium still in the air,  “Ms. Anton, how are you feeling?”

Mayu covered her mouth in embarrassment when she heard her voice.

Anton glanced at Mayu and chuckled, “A little light-headed. Reminds me of all the times I’ve huffed on helium balloons.”

Mayu began checking Anton’s vitals, “I think you are okay, Ms. Anton, but I would like to check still.”

Anton smiled, “Sure thing, Mayu.” Her voice became more serious, “Hey Ryan, can ya get Blondie to come here. I want to show her something before I patch everything up.”

Ryan wondered what was up, “Uh, sure.” He focused on Evan, “Hey, Evan. Anton says she wants you to come look at something before she finishes.”

Evan looked backed to the feed for a moment, “I see. Tell her I will arrive shortly.”

Evan jogged to the door.

The pressure in the hallway was now about the same as the fabrication room, so there was only a slight breeze as the door opened.

Becky looked at the hologram, a curious expression on her face, and turned to follow Evan, “I’m coming too!”

Mayu finished checking Anton, “I think you are healthy.”

Anton nodded, “Thanks, Mayu.”

Mayu glanced at the damage briefly before turning to look down the new hallway, “Mr. Ryan, may I look at the bedrooms?”

Ryan opened the door to the closest room, “I guess this can be your bedroom.”

Mayu nodded, “Thank you, Mr. Ryan.”

Anton tsked, “Dang… I wanted to pick my room first.” She stopped welding and glanced back at the rooms, “I’ll take… uh… the next one over.”

Anton shook her head and went back to welding.

Mayu entered the bedroom. 

The room had nothing in it other than a tipped over chair, panels controlling the toilet and shower on the left wall, and a single switch on the right wall.

Ryan only had control of the single switch, “Not much, but the bed stores in the wall when you’re not using it.” He activated the switch, and a bed lowered, “Better cover your mouth. It sprays a lot of dust out.”

Mayu covered her mouth and stepped back into the hallway.

The bed lowered and a cloud of dust puffed from inside, accompanied by more dust pouring out the bottom.

Mayu looked like she wanted to go back in, but stopped when Evan and Becky came into sight, and went over to join them.

Evan stopped next to Anton, “You wanted to see me, Ms. Richards?”

Becky greeted Mayu, “Hi, Mayu.”

Mayu bowed her head, “Ms. Becky.”

Anton stopped welding, “Can ya call me Anton, and not ‘Ms. Richards’?”

Evan nodded, “If you promise to refrain from calling me ‘blondie’ I will.”

Anton shrugged, “Sure thing… uh…”

Evan snorted, “Hmm. I recall you said you had difficulty remembering names.”

Becky leaned towards Anton and smirked, “What’s my name?”

Anton answered immediately, “Becky!” She turned to Mayu, “Mayu!”

Evan shifted her weight back and sighed, “I have a feeling I am being toyed with.”

Becky laughed, “I was thinking the same thing!”

Anton rolled her eyes, “Yeah, yeah.”

Evan thought for a moment, “Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to change my name?” She gestured to her body, “I am no longer a man, so a more feminine name would be more suitable.”

Anton shrugged, “Up to you.”

Becky looked Anton over, “Why don’t you change your name too, Antoinette?”

Anton glanced at Becky, “Nah. I’m fine with my name.” She turned to Evan, “Evangeline?”

Evan shook her head, “I was thinking something that wouldn’t tie me to my old body.” She looked at Mayu,  “Perhaps something Japanese would be interesting, even if I will not look the part.”

Mayu took a moment to think, “Eto…” she nodded her head, “I would like to.”

Becky nodded, “Yeah, that’s a wonderful idea!”

Anton glanced back at Mayu, the look on her face seeming to consider joining in with Evan.

Mayu studied Evan, “Eto… eto…” She nodded, “Chie. Chie means ‘wisdom’. I think that is a good name for Ms. Evan.”

Evan rubbed her chin as she considered the name and finally nodded, “That is a fine name, Ms. Iwata. I think I will accept.”

Mayu smiled and bowed, “I am happy you like my choice.”

Becky turned to Chie, “Chie… Chie… I like it.” She turned to Mayu, “Good job!”

Chie nodded, “Yes, thank you, Ms. Iwata.”

Mayu looked uncomfortable with all the attention on her, “Eto... Please call me Mayu.”

Chie nodded, “Very well, Mayu.”

Anton looked back again and cleared her throat, “Last chance to see what I called you here for.”

Chie straightened her posture and turned to Anton, “Ah, yes. Forgive me. I got distracted.”

Anton rolled her eyes, “I get it.” She pointed to a hole slightly smaller than her thumb, “See anything interestin’ about this?”

Chie leaned forward and inspected the hole.

A moment passed and Chie shook her head, “I am afraid this sort of thing is not my specialty.”

Anton put her pinky finger partially through the hole, “See how the metal warps outwards?”

Chie nodded.

Anton put a metal plate over the hole and started welding, “Ryan, can ya show ‘em this hallway and where all the damage is while I patch this?”

Ryan brought up a diagram zoomed in on the hallway, “Okay.”

Chie turned to the hologram, “I see you aren’t going to tell us right away, Ms. Richards.”

Anton waved her hand dismissively, “Anton. Ms. Richards sounds too stuffy.”

Chie let out a barely audible sigh, “Very well.”

Becky pointed to herself, “Becky.”

Chie turned to Becky, “I suppose dropping formalities makes sense considering our predicament.”

Mayu seemed distracted again.

Becky noticed and turned to her, “What’s up?”

Mayu shook her head, “It is nothing. I am thinking about other things.”

Becky nodded in understanding, “Yeah, we’ve got lots to think about.” She looked like she wanted to add more, but instead she smiled, “Okay, let me know if you want to talk.”

Mayu turned to the still open bedroom door, “I think I will prepare my room.” She turned back to Becky, “Thank you for concerning me.”

Becky turned to the bedrooms, “Right! Bedrooms!”

Anton looked behind her to Becky, “I called dibs on the second one!”

Becky looked at the still open door to the nearest bedroom, “Is that one yours, Mayu?”

Mayu nodded, “Ah, yes. I think.”

Chie glanced at the bedrooms, “I have no preference.”

Becky shrugged, “Me neither. Guess I’ll take the next one over, then.”

Mayu turned to the hallway leading back to the fabrication room, “Mr. Ryan, can you make some things to sleep with?”

Ryan had already given some thought to this, “Best I can do are blankets and maybe bed springs.”

Mayu nodded, “A blanket is welcome.”

Ryan started making a blanket using the usual fabric with the fabricator.

Becky nodded, “Make me one too!”

Ryan decided two for each person was good, for eight total, “Okay, might as well make some for everyone. Two each sound good?”

Chie nodded.

Anton gave a thumbs up.

Mayu started walking.

Becky looked back at Evan and Anton, “I’ll bring yours too.”

Chie gave Becky a nod, “I appreciate it.”

Anton yelled, “Thanks!”

Chie turned back to Anton, “So, Anton. Now that the distraction is over, what was it you wanted to show me.”

Anton turned to the hologram of the hallway, “Notice anything interestin’ about the damage in this hallway?”

Chie studied the hologram, and after a moment nodded in understanding, “Yes, I see. The damage on the other end of the hallway is much worse. Also, considering the metal on this side is facing outwards means whatever caused the damage exited on this side after entering from the other.”

Anton grinned, “Nice job, Blon… uh, Chie. That’s what I think too. Whoever shot the ship got it in just the right spot to go right down the hallway and out the other side. Blast door must’ve closed after, ‘cause it looks fine.”

Ryan had thought the damage on both ends of the hallway strange, so this made sense, “Nice. I thought there was something strange.”

Chie glanced at the blast door just past the fourth bedroom, “It is possible it was merely a meteor and not weapons fire. This ship appears to have been out here for quite some time.”

Anton shrugged, “Yeah, I guess so, but that’s boring.”

Chie chuckled, “Yes, I suppose so. Perhaps as we see more of the ship, we will find the answer.”

Ryan already felt he knew, “I think it’s both. The biggest holes look like something melted them. The smaller holes look more like something smashed into the ship.”

Ryan brought up more holograms zoomed in on the damaged areas he was thinking about.

Chie held her chin and thought for a moment as she studied the new holograms, “So, the ship was attacked, then abandoned?”

Ryan turned off the holograms, “That’s what I was thinking.”

Anton grinned, “Now I really want to know what happened!”

Chie shrugged, “I do as well. Perhaps there are some records in another part of the ship.”

Ryan thought about the areas he couldn’t see, “Maybe, but all the data I’ve looked at so far is too far gone, so...”

Chie looked to a door no one had paid any attention to past the damaged part of the ‘T’ intersection, “Mr. Camp… Ryan. Is there anything to repair over there?”

Ryan recalled the door led to the mystery area at the fore of the ship, “Not that I can tell.”

Chie turned to the doors leading to the rooms opposite the bedrooms, “Then one of our next objectives is repairing the damage in those rooms.”

Ryan brought up a hologram of the deck below them, “I think we should do that after we fix the back part of this deck. Notice how there aren’t any breaches there?”

Anton turned back to where she was welding, “I should get back to this, but I’ll be listening!”

Chie gave Anton a nod, “Yes. We keep getting distracted.” She turned back to the hologram, “I noticed the lack of damage there before. Is there something else preventing you from pressurizing the area?”

Ryan only had blueprints for what his camera could see, “Yes, I can’t see where it is, but I think it’s the ventilation system in that area. We fix it, we get access to that area.” Ryan zoomed in on the rear most area and something that looked like closets or containers of some sort attached to the walls, “I didn’t say anything earlier because it’s just a guess, but I’m hoping these are lockers with space suits in them.”

Anton looked back at the hologram, “I’m so for fixing this place next!”

Chie looked at a vent near the ceiling, “I agree, but how are we going to get to the damaged area? The vents are much too small and we don’t have access to the deck.”

Anton stared at the vent, unblinking. 

She grinned, “A drone! We make one small enough to fit in a vent and let it loose inside. Put some tools on it and get to work. Maybe we can make bigger ones too, to help with repairs. That way we don’t need space suits!”

Chie sighed and shook her head, “And how do you propose we build it? We only have a few basic tools and a fabricator with no database.”

Anton thought for a while before nodding to herself, “Let’s see… wheels are easy. We can take a power source from a tool. Maybe use one of Ryan’s cameras to see where it’s going... If Ryan can’t control it, I can build a controller easy enough.”

Chie nodded, “I’m still unsure if your idea will work or not, but I see no reason not to make an attempt.”

Ryan liked the idea, “That’s awesome! Can’t wait to see what you make.”

Anton grinned, “Great! I’ll get to it when I’m done here.”

Chie knelt next to Anton, “I will help.”

Anton handed Chie her second welding tool, “Thanks!”

Ryan turned his attention to Becky and Mayu.

Becky had tried making small talk with Mayu, but had gotten little from her, so the two sat in an awkward silence as they watched the fabricator finish the last blankets.

Ryan could see how uncomfortable Becky looked and broke the silence, “Hey.”

Mayu and Becky jumped at the sudden sound of his voice.

Becky groaned, “Ryan, sorry. Gonna take me a while to get used to you doing that.” 

Mayu nodded, “Yes.”

Ryan had noticed Mayu jump at him speaking out of nowhere before and he felt bad about it, “Maybe I’ll make a chime or something go off before I speak.”

Becky shook her head, “It’s fine. I’ll get used to it.”

Mayu nodded, “Yes.”

A grumbling sound came from Becky’s stomach.

Becky blushed with embarrassment and put her hand on her stomach, “Oh. Uh… I guess I’m hungry.”

Mayu seemed a little amused, “Ms. Becky, you can go eat. I will take the blankets to the bedrooms.”

Ryan saw Becky’s face look sad for a moment before smiling again, “Come on! Let’s see what Ryan has for us!”

Becky turned to the door before turning back again and reaching a hand out to Mayu.

Mayu shook her head, “I am not hungry.”

Becky lowered her hand, “Okay. I’m not going to force you.”

Becky watched Mayu for a moment before turning back to the door and leaving. The smile disappeared from her face. 

Ryan waited to speak until Becky entered the mess hall, “You okay, Becky?”

Becky walked to the alcove with the food dispenser, turned around and slid down to the floor, “Just need some time alone. I’ll let you know when I need something.”

Ryan felt he should let her have her alone time. She’d just died and only now had time to stop and think, “Okay.”

Becky looked to the ceiling and closed her eyes.

The last blanket finished, so Ryan focused back on Mayu.

Mayu walked to the stack of blankets, but instead of picking them up, she leaned over and picked up one of Ryan’s experiment cloth scraps and put it in a pocket. She then picked up the blankets. The blankets weren’t thick, so Mayu had no trouble holding them.

Mayu left the room.

She glanced at the door to the mess hall, and a pained look appeared on her face, “Sorry, Ms. Becky.”

Anton noticed Mayu as she walked by, “Hi, Mayu!”

Chie glanced behind her, “Are those our blankets?”

Mayu nodded, “Yes. I will leave them in your rooms.”

Chie turned to face Mayu, “Thank you, Mayu.”

Anton nodded, “Yep! Thanks!”

Mayu bowed her head, “You’re welcome.”

Mayu turned to go to the bedrooms, and Anton and Chie turned back to their welding.

Mayu entered her room first.

She used her foot to stand the chair in her room upright and placed the stack of blankets on it.

Next she went to each of the other rooms and set each chair upright before wiping it with the cloth scrap. The scrap did little more than push the dust around, but it was effective enough as there wasn’t much of it.

Mayu returned to her room and folded six blankets before going back to each room and leaving two blankets on each chair she had cleaned.

Finally, Mayu returned to her room.

She took one look at the scrap she held, then to the bed, and then shook her head, “Muri.” 

Ryan didn’t know what she said, but he felt he had an idea, “Sorry, Mayu. We’ll have to find something to clean with.”

Mayu jumped at Ryan’s voice and made a cute squeak.

Ryan felt like sighing, “Sorry, Mayu.”

Mayu shook her head, “It is okay, Mr. Ryan.” She sat on the chair and blankets, “Eto… Mr. Ryan…”

“Yes, Mayu?”

Mayu clenched her fists and looked at the floor, “Mr. Ryan,” she looked back up, “can you show me my family?”

It took Ryan a moment before he realized what she meant, “Holograms?”

Mayu nodded.

Ryan had thought about doing the same with his family and friends during his three weeks of solitude. How he could remake them as holograms and pretend they were really there. Still, he was pretty sure his family was still alive. Mayu wasn’t. How would it affect her knowing her daughter might be dead too and seeing a copy of her?

If that’s what she wanted, he wouldn’t let doubts stop him and he brought up two human templates, one adult size, the other a small child, “If you’re sure.”

Mayu stood up and walked closer to the child template, “A little lower…”

Ryan spent the next half hour listening to Mayu describe her daughter, even things that had nothing to do with what she looked like.

Ryan felt the happiest he’d been in months seeing Mayu light up as she told him about something cute Aya had done, or how she had caught her trying to do something naughty.

Ryan’s resolve to help Mayu see her family again grew again and again with every story.

It was when Mayu finally stopped talking and fell to her knees that Ryan knew he’d recreated Aya, as there stood a lifelike Japanese child.

He wondered what Mayu looked like and studied the facsimile of Aya. She had thin typical Asian eyes, a button nose, high cheekbones, a round face, and a bashful smile. She was thin and healthy looking and maybe on the short side for her age.

Ryan wasn’t good at telling Asians apart, but he trusted Mayu had gotten it right. 

Mayu tried to hug the hologram, but her arms went through it. She tried hugging it again before holding her hands around the face, “Aya, mama mou sugu kaeru. Mou sugu kaeru. Matete…”

Ryan considered turning off the camera and audio to give Mayu some privacy, but he felt he should stay, just in case.

Mayu looked like she was about to burst into tears when she stood up, “Mr. Ryan, thank you.”

Ryan felt proud he’d been able to help her, “I’m always here for you.”

Mayu smiled, “Thank you, Mr. Ryan.” Mayu turned to the blank template that would be her husband, “Gomen ne, Kazuya. Ima, Becky-san miru.”

Chie looked up when Mayu’s door opened, and it seemed like she saw something as her face softened. Ryan guessed she had seen Mayu’s red, puffy eyes.

Anton looked up too and looked like she was going to say something, but Chie elbowed her in the ribs, “Not now.”

Anton rubbed her ribs, “Ow! What was that for!”

Chie shook her head and whispered, “Now is not a good time.”

Mayu bowed her head at Anton and Chie as she walked by.

Anton smiled at Mayu then seemed to understand something, “Oh… she looks like… oh… Are you sure? She might need someone to talk to.” She watched Mayu walk away.

Chie watched Mayu too, “I may be a woman now, but I still don’t know how to talk to them when they’re like this.”

Anton nodded, “Yeah, good point.”

Ryan wondered if either of them had even dated a woman before, “She’s going to see Becky, I think.”

Chie nodded, “Yes, I think Becky is the best person for her to talk to.”

Anton turned back to her welding when Mayu turned the corner to the other hall, “Yeah.”

Ryan stopped focusing on the two welding and focused on Mayu again.

Mayu paused in front of the mess hall door and took a deep breath before entering.

Becky was staring at the ceiling and looked down when the door opened, “Mayu?”

Mayu walked in and sat down next to Becky before replying, “Ms. Becky… I am sorry for being cold.”

Becky turned to Mayu, “It’s… I understand. I…”

Mayu hugged Becky, “Ms. Becky, I want to see my family. I think you miss your family too. We both have much pain, but I should not have ignored you.”

Becky seemed surprised at the sudden hug, but returned it, “Mayu. I can’t know your pain. I mean, we just met a few hours ago.” She squeezed her eyes shut, “I miss my family too, but I didn’t have a husband or child…”

Mayu pulled back from the hug, “Ms. Becky… Becky, I think we can see again. See our families.”

A tear formed in the corner of Becky’s eye, “I think so too.”

Mayu nodded and hugged Becky again, “I feel lonely without Kazuya and Aya, but I think I can make a new family. A new family here until we can see ours again. So we are not lonely.”

Becky started crying, “Mayu, I’ve been trying so hard. Trying so hard to hold these feelings in. I just died and I’m in a new body. We’re on a broken ship and could die again anytime we open a new door. I just…”

Mayu started crying, “Becky, I am frightened too, but we have one more time to live. We look different, but I want to see Aya and Kazuya still.”

Becky nodded, “Mayu, I… I thought I wanted to be alone, but I’m glad you came.”

Mayu stopped hugging Becky again and sat back against the wall, “Mr. Ryan, is here too. He can be a family member. Ms. Anton and Ms. Ev… Ms. Chie too.”

Ryan liked the idea, “I’d love to.”

Becky wiped a tear from her cheek, “I’ve still got a lot of thinking to do, but this has helped a lot.”

Mayu wiped her face with her arm then smiled, “You’re welcome.”

Ryan knew everyone still had a lot of healing to do, but for the first time he felt everything was going to be okay.

I hope I didn't mess any of the Japanese up. I'm still just okay with it, but it's not like this story is gonna be popular and is just for practice so whatever.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed it.

72