Chapter 16
1.3k 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First chapter of the second arc. 

Several flashes of light flew past Luna on every side.

Ryan had focused all his attention on the strange world before them, that he’d failed to notice the hundreds of metallic orbs surrounding it.

These orbs each had two turrets each, and the ones nearest them fired at… something behind them. They also had a purplish glow in their centers.

Mayu jumped at the unexpected lights.

Becky’s brow furrowed with worry, “Was that plasma?”

Chie nodded, “That was exactly my thought.”

Anton looked at the others, “What did you guys do while I was sleeping?”

Ryan started turning Luna, “They’re not aiming at us. Is there something behind us?”

The wormhole became visible in his sensor again.

Becky gasped, “Is that…”

Ryan saw Meatballs pouring through the still collapsing wormhole, “The Meatballs followed us?”

Chie tapped her chin, then nodded to herself, “Perhaps they live in the space between universes?”

Anton leaned in closer to the hologram, “Aren’t those the things that killed me?”

Becky mmhmmed, “Yes.” She gestured to Sashae, “They’re also the reason we found Sashae.”

Anton turned to Sashae, “Oh? How’d ya find her to rescue?”

Ryan brought up an image of the half world they’d come to, “The owner of this place asked us to rescue her. Since… uh… It’s kinda our fault they attacked her home.”

Anton watched the Meatballs get vaporized by the torrent of plasma heading their way and sighed, “Darn! Why’d I have to be the one that got killed? Sounds like I missed out on a lot of fun.”

Becky’s eyes shifted to the side, and she rubbed her arm, “It… We should wait to talk about it until we’re somewhere safe.”

Anton looked a little frustrated, but groaned and scratched the back of his head, “Yeah.”

The wormhole collapsed, and Meatballs stopped appearing.

Becky plopped herself into a chair, “It’s over.”

Anton studied one of the weapon platforms, “Maybe I should build a couple of these.”

Ryan turned Luna back towards the half world, “Well, maybe our host will let you study one?”

Anton grinned, “That would be awesome!”

Becky chuckled and shook her head, “You know, it’s kinda nice to have you back.”

Mayu smiled, “Yes. It was being quiet without you.”

Chie smiled, “I will miss that.”

Anton turned to Chie, “You’re always cooped up in the science lab. You couldn’t hear me, anyway.”

Chie shrugged, “Only after I asked Ryan to block all unnecessary comms.”

Becky nodded to herself in understanding.

Sashae watched the interaction in interest, but her gaze lingered on Anton’s ridged Klingon forehead.

Ryan got a radio signal, “Hey guys, I’m getting a radio signal. Putting it up.”

Everyone turned towards the sensor feed of the half world.

“Welcome to the Museum of Earth’s Mythology! The oldest and most complete museum dedicated to Earth’s ancient myths. Here you can experience the mythologies of Earth's ancient peoples recreated to the best ability of science. Topics of interest include magic, mythological creatures, replicas of mythological cities, and mythological races. Because of the nature of the exhibits caution is advised as many of the creatures and races are by nature hostile and very dangerous. 

Once you finish with your visit to the Museum of Earth’s Mythology, please consider visiting one of our sister museums located throughout this system. Please note that the Museum of Earth’s Final Era is still under construction and not yet open to visitors. Expected opening date is forty-five Earth years.

Please follow the markers and enjoy your visit.”

Holographic markers appeared on either side of Luna and made a path towards the center of the dome on the flat side of the half world.

Ryan wasn’t sure what to make of the message, “Museum of Earth’s Mythology?”

Chie tapped her chin and looked deep in thought.

Becky looked confused, “Uh… anyone else concerned about the last bit about ‘The Museum of Earth’s Final Era?”

Anton nodded, “Nope! Not surprised at all! Not one bit!”

A bemused smile appeared on Chie’s lips and she whispered to herself, “Serves them right.”

Mayu seemed confused so Ryan translated the message for her.

Mayu’s face fell and replied in Japanese, “We need to hurry and rescue our families.”

Anton nodded to himself and laughed, “I bet its nukes!”

Becky scowled, “This isn’t funny! I just saw dozens of people get killed and eaten by Meatballs!” She clenched her fists, “I… I don’t even want to think about how many died I never got to see.” She turned to Sashae, “I’m sorry… it’s our fault they attacked your people.”

Ryan spoke to Sashae in her language, “Sashae. How many… space station?”

Sashae glanced up, then rested her chin in her hand and thought, “Many ... in machines. Less sleeping … bodies. Maybe ten thousand with bodies. Billions in machine.”

Ryan was still amazed at his ability for his machine brain to learn language and that he could understand so much of what she said after just three weeks. Still, she still needed to speak in simple terms so he had a way to go until he was fluent. She also spoke little, so that didn’t help either.

Ryan relayed what she said, “She thinks about ten thousand with bodies and billions in machines. Whatever that means.”

Anton caught on first, “Maybe the machine is a computer?”

Becky’s eyes went wide in understanding, “They uploaded their minds into a computer!?”

Anton crossed her arms and grinned, “Man! I’m so jealous. Having a body sucks! I bet they can change their appearances whenever they want!”

Chie looked conflicted and stared towards the ceiling.

Ryan thought that sounded cool, “So it’d pretty much be like living in a game or something?”

Anton nodded enthusiastically, “Yep! Don’t have to worry about pain, gettin’ hungry, havin’ to take a dump, or dyin’.”

Chie scowled and stood up, “And yet it's all fake. You can go live in a computer but I’ll stay out here in the real world where things actually matter.”

Anton shrugged, “I’ll never get old people.”

Becky shook her head, “I’m with Chie, although I’d like to try it if I can keep my body.”

Mayu nodded, though Ryan could tell she didn’t understand the conversation.

Ryan understood Chie and Becky’s reservations, “I haven’t had my body for a month and a half and I already miss it.”

Anton started chewing on his lip, “Yeah, I guess it’s not for everyone.”

They neared the end of the path to the half world’s dome.

The size of the world wasn’t nearly as awe-inspiring as dipping into the atmosphere of a gas giant, but Ryan marveled at the dome and the delicate-looking supports leading to their destination.

Their destination was a circle at the apex of the dome, and Ryan could see a transparent door opening in it.

Ryan flashed the hologram to get everyone’s attention, “Looks like they’re opening the door for us.”

Anton’s eyes lit with excitement and he leaned as close to the hologram as he could without his head going through it, “I wonder if they’ll let me get a look at the dome.”

Becky rolled her eyes, “Go right ahead and ask.”

Anton turned to Becky, “Cool! How are we doing that?”

Ryan brought up a hologram of the metal boxes they kept finding, “Remember those boxes?”

Anton deflated, “Oh, that guy… We gonna meet him here?”

Becky shrugged, “Maybe?”

Everyone turned their attention back to the video feed as Luna passed through the doors.

Ryan noticed another door, this one closed, just ahead of them, “Looks like this is an airlock.”

Becky turned back to the others, “So, where should we head first?”

Anton studied the continent, “Your friend didn’t tell ya where he was?”

Becky shook her head, “Not that I can recall.”

The airlock door ahead of them started opening and air filled the airlock. 

Ryan pointed the sensor towards the floating island after confirming the door behind them closed, “If I had a base somewhere it would be a floating island.”

Chie nodded, “That was my thought as well. If the message we heard can be trusted, this world is dangerous if you go to the wrong areas. A floating island would be an excellent place to observe such dangers from while minimizing the risks.”

Becky nodded in agreement, “Yeah, that makes sense. I imagine the island can move to observe different areas too.”

Mayu smiled, “I want to be living on a flying island.”

Ryan’s pressure sensors in the decompressed areas of Luna started showing pressure, “There’s air in the decompressed areas if anyone cares.”

Anton headed for the door, “I’m gonna look out the Usual Breach. I want to see this place with my own eyes.”

Becky let out a snicker, “With the way you made your eyes constantly bug out, I bet you’ll see a lot.”

Anton turned to Becky and scowled, “Hey! They’re intimidating!”

Becky raised her hands in surrender, “Okay.”

Mayu followed Anton out of the mess hall after picking up the plasma pistol she’d started taking everywhere, “I want to be looking too.”

Ryan sighed, “At least you guys have eyes.”

Becky patted the wall, “Hey, your sensors are far superior. I’m kind of jealous.”

Becky was right, he could see every spectrum of light from radio to gamma.

The inner airlock door opened and Ryan went through, “Alright! Let’s go look at that floating island!”

They were a few kilometers above the ground, but it only took Luna a moment to cover the distance.

Ryan had a much better view of the island now and saw it mostly covered in trees, with a few lakes and fields of grass and flowers dotting it. The foliage was thick in the forested areas, so it was extremely hard to see what was underneath, but he could see heat signatures from various animals occasionally through gaps in it.

A thick fog obscured the base of the island, but from what Ryan could tell, roots of various sizes hung underneath.

Anton leaned out from the Usual Breach and looked around, “This island is so cool!”

Mayu stood next to the hole and closed her eyes while taking a deep breath before speaking in Japanese, “Nostalgic! This sea breeze.”

The island floated just above the coast on the westernmost part of the single continent. The area to their east and south was a mix of grassland and woodland. Just to the north was a medium-sized river, with a city at the river’s mouth. He could also see several fishing boats dotting the coastline.

Becky squealed with excitement, “People! There are people down there!”

Chie smiled, “Indeed. Perhaps we can visit the city after we finish inspecting this island.”

Sashae seemed disinterested with the city and only glanced at it, “People. Don’t like.”

Ryan had expected as much, “We’ll see. Maybe they’re better than the rest.”

Becky shrugged, “Are they even human? Sashae’s people were human, despite not being from Earth.”

This had puzzled Ryan too, but before he could reply he noticed several dozen figures rise from the trees. Human figures flying like it was completely natural.

It was hard to make out the details of the approaching figures, but all wore some sort of brown armor and helmets that obscured their faces.

Ryan instinctively deployed the turret, “Hey guys! Some people are heading for us!”

Just as the others turned to look, the people started shooting things at them ranging from bolts of fire, ice, to lightning.

Several of the bolts hit Luna, judging from the sounds of impact heard, but he didn’t get any warning of damage so they probably had done little.

Ryan decided leaving was the best option and moved Luna a few kilometers to the East, “Looks like we’re not welcome there.”

Becky slapped her forehead and groaned for several seconds, “Why does everyone attack us on sight?”

Chie scanned the area around the now distant island, “I would imagine a strange metal object appearing next to your home would frighten most individuals.”

Becky gave a reluctant nod that looked more like a head bob, “Yeah, I guess.”

Ryan thought about all the UFO stories he’d heard about, “The military would definitely try to capture us.”

The flying people stopped, but didn’t go back to the island. It was probably only a matter of time until they were spotted if they stayed where they were now.

Ryan started lowering Luna towards a clearing not far away, “I’m gonna land before anyone else spots us.”

Becky seemed conflicted, “Sounds good, but we don’t know what is in those forests down there.”

Anton left the Usual Breach, “I’ll cook up some recon drones!”

Chie headed for the door, “Perhaps we should attach some cameras to Luna’s hull until we can repair her sensors.”

Mayu jumped from the Usual Breach just before Luna touched down, “I am seeing something!”

Mayu rolled as she landed, easily transitioned to a run, then pulled out her plasma pistol.

Mayu didn’t have her spacesuit’s helmet on, so he couldn’t see what she had spotted, so he turned the turret towards where she was heading and looked through its sensor.

Mayu fired a shot at a rabbit that had just jumped through the bushes.

Once Mayu passed into the trees Ryan could only occasionally get glimpses of her, but the flashes of light given off whenever she fired her pistol were hard to miss.

Ryan chuckled over Luna’s speakers, “Looks like Mayu is having fun. She found some poor rabbit and is trying to shoot it.”

Chie had a smile on her face, “I hope she is able to acquire some meat.”

Until that point, Becky seemed bemused, but then her eyes widened and practically sparkled, “Meat… It’s been so long.”

Chie nodded, “Indeed it has. Perhaps we should also join her outside and look for vegetables and fru…”

A loud bark sounded in the direction Mayu had gone.

Becky jumped, and the blood drained from her face, “What was that?”

Chie looked spooked, “It sounded like a large dog.”

Ryan didn’t like the sound of it, “I can’t talk to Mayu without her helmet. I hope she’s okay.”

Anton looked around him from where he worked on the airlock door, and looked spooked as well, “What was that?”

A second bark. This time closer. The others looked scared now.

Ryan became even more worried, “Maybe everyone should grab a gun just in case we’ve got company.”

Anton shook his head, “A Klingon knows no fear!“ He ran towards the nearest weapon locker, “Airlock is still a little jammed, but it’ll be easier for us to get in and out here than the Usual Breach.”

Ryan commanded the airlock to open.

Mayu burst through the foliage at the edge of the clearing at a full sprint. She looked nervous and kept glancing over her shoulder.

The airlock doors opened all the way, and a ramp deployed.

Mayu turned towards the airlock and made it halfway from the edge of the forest when a third bark came. Moments later, a large dog the size of a small cow with a shaggy green coat burst through the foliage.

Mayu fired behind herself blindly, missing the dog. Ryan aimed the turret at it and fired a shot of plasma.

The plasma easily covered the distance to the dog before it had time to react and struck its face and left shoulder.

The dog shuddered at the hit but continued charging after Mayu.

It looked hurt, but mostly burnt fur and minor burns.

Anton stepped onto the extending ramp and readied a plasma cannon.

Anton easily found the dog and his eyes opened in surprise and fear, “What!?”

Anton fired and grazed the dog.

Ryan saw his plasma had done little to the dog so switched to particle beam mode.

The ramp screeched to a halt and shuddered roughly a third the way out.

Anton jumped and landed as hard as he could, “Come on!”

The ramp was low enough that Mayu could grab onto it with little difficulty, but the dog would easily catch her before she could get to it.

Ryan saw the dog about to pounce at Mayu so he fired the particle beam before it was fully charged and aimed at the dog’s hind legs. If he didn’t stop it now, it would move behind Luna and he wouldn’t be able to hit it anymore.

The shot hit the dog’s rump and sent it tumbling.

Mayu fired blindly behind her again and grazed the dog.

Ryan powered up the FTL so they could get out of there as soon as Mayu was on the ramp.

The dog got up and started running again, though now noticeably slower and with a limp.

Ryan couldn’t believe how tough this dog was. He’d hit it with an anti-ship weapon twice and it was still going.

Mayu jumped and grabbed onto the ramp.

Anton grabbed her by her wrists and started pulling her up.

Ryan lifted Luna off the ground, and in moments Mayu was out of reach of the dog.

Ryan stopped Luna fifty meters from the ground and watched the dog, “Alright, so much for exploring the forest.”

Mayu scrambled onto the ramp and collapsed, panting heavily.

Anton looked over the side, “You don’t think it can jump this high, do ya?”

Becky and Chie jumped down the hatch to the deck with the airlock.

Becky jogged to Mayu and knelt next to her, “You okay?”

Mayu looked up and nodded, “Yes. Thank you.”

Chie walked to the airlock and looked at the dog then walked to Mayu and reached out a hand, “Let us get back inside, there is no telling how sturdy this ramp is.”

Mayu took Chie’s hand and Chie pulled her to her feet, “Thank you.”

The group entered the airlock and Ryan retracted the ramp and closed the door. He then started scanning the area around Luna.

Mayu took one last look at the dog before the door finished closing, “That is big dog.” She turned to the others, “Thank you for helping.”

Anton glanced at the direction the dog was and shivered, then turned back to Mayu and smiled, “I know ya’d revive, but I didn’t want ta see ya eaten by a dog.”

Becky put her hand on Mayu’s shoulder, “I would do anything to protect you.”

Chie patted Mayu’s other shoulder, “I would do the same.”

Ryan made a hologram of himself and made it smile as best he could, “Me too. I’ll do anything I can for all of you. Except maybe Anton.”

Anton turned to Ryan’s hologram and scowled, “Hey!”

Becky started laughing.

Sashae entered the airlock and watched everyone from the door.

Anton noticed Sashae and turned to her, “So… while Ryan finds us a place to land without killer dogs, maybe ya can fill me in on what I missed?”

Becky gave Mayu a quick look over, “Can you do it, Ryan? Mayu’s covered in scratches. I’m going to take her to med bay.”

Mayu inspected herself. Her clothes looked only slightly dirty, but the exposed areas of her skin were covered in scratches, some bleeding, “I am okay, but I am going.”

Anton sat on a bench next to the space suit lockers.

Chie sat nearby and leaned on the wall.

Sashae followed Mayu and Becky.

Ryan started off by filling Anton in on everything that happened after he died until he woke up.

Anton interrupted him several times showing his displeasure at missing out and was pacing around the airlock randomly by the end, “Grrr… why’d I have to die. Why…”

Chie stood up, “At least you have returned. If it wasn’t for these pods, you would currently be in the afterlife or...  or just a memory.”

Anton stopped and looked to the floor.

Ryan watched Sashae retrieve something from her room, “Want to hear Sashae play some music? She brought a couple musical instruments with her even though her place was getting attacked by meatballs.”

Anton looked up and smiled, “Music? That’d be great. It’s been a while since I’ve heard good music. She any good?”

Chie snorted, “She is a master musician compared to that screeching you call singing.”

Anton’s eye twitched, “Yeah, I know. Anton is a bad singer. You guys won’t stop reminding me.”

Ryan saw where Sashae was heading, “Oh, looks like she’s going to practice in the mess hall. She usually does it in her room.”

Chie stood up, “Perhaps this is her way of helping us calm down?”

Anton headed towards the hatch leading towards the floor above with the living area, “I’m hungry too.”

Ryan remembered Anton hadn’t found out about their new food, “Oh yeah! Sashae brought a food bar with her and Chie scanned it…”

Anton broke out into a run, “Finally something new!”

Chie chuckled.

Ryan told the food dispenser to make a couple of the bars, “Guess I’ll find a safer place to land while you guys take a break.”

Ryan turned Luna so he could take one last look at the dog and saw something unexpected. It was dead and two armor clad figures stood near its corpse. They were looking at Luna.

Ryan remembered the flying people from earlier. The armor these two wore looked different from them, but he didn’t want to stay long enough to see if two people strong enough to kill a dog Luna’s weapons barely worked against could fly too.

Ryan chose a random direction and left.

30