Chapter 24
758 5 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This chapter's almost 7k words long. I don't think I've written a chapter this long since I wrote "Salis." Maybe...

Just before dawn the next morning, Étién contacted him.

She had a huge grin on her face, “Mother says you can land Luna outside Ildathach.” She held up a vial with a thick metallic liquid inside, “She also told me to give this medicine to you and Mikan.”

Ryan was happy at the news, and opened ship wide comms, “Hey guys! We got permission to land outside the city!” He then focused back on Étién, “Everyone except Mayu is sleeping, so it might be awhile, but I’m sure they’ll be happy.”

Mayu rubbed her eyes as she looked over the still sleeping Aoi and Saki, “That is good!”

Étién nodded at Ryan’s response, “Mother gave me instructions to give the medicine first or it can spoil,” she frowned, “but Mikan needs to stay with your true self or it will not work.”

Ryan guessed Étién wasn’t happy Mikan couldn’t go on a tour with them, “How long will it take?”

Étién answered immediately, “Less than an hour.”

Ryan didn’t think that was bad at all, he’d expected a couple of hours or even a day, “That is… not bad at all.”

Étién looked a little less unhappy, “Yes, that is true.” She showed Ryan the Gateway, “I should leave. I will wait for you outside the gate. It will only take me a minute to arrive.”

“Okay. Thank you.”

Étién smiled, “You are welcome.”

Ryan turned his attention to the crew. His announcement woke Aoi and Saki up, and he guessed it was a good time to ‘wake’ Mikan up, too. 

Anton had stayed up late finishing the new repair drone and didn’t even react. 

Becky groaned, but didn’t open her eyes.

Chie sat up, “That is excellent news.”

Sashae didn’t look happy, but got out of bed without so much as a grumble.

Ryan opened comms back up to Becky and Anton, “Wakey wakey!”

Becky woke up this time, “Huh? What?”

Ryan could only hear Becky because she kept the camera off in her room, but heard her sit up, “Niamh got us permission to land Luna outside the city.”

A noise of Becky slipping out of bed, “That is wonderful news! How soon?”

“Right now.”

“Oh, I better hurry.”

Mikan flitted into the air and watched Mayu getting ready and the fairies waking up. He still felt uncomfortable being around Mayu changing, but she didn’t care, even when he brought it up and it wasn’t like he hadn’t seen her naked. He also didn’t have hormones to react to such stimulation, so it was mostly remnant mental conditioning, or so he guessed.

Mikan turned to Saki and Aoi, “Want to go wake Anton up?”

Aoi rubbed her eyes, “No.”

Mikan smiled slyly, “Play joke on Anton to wake up?”

Aoi yawned, “No like Anton’s room. Smelly.”

Ryan recalled the smell of body odor the last time Mikan had gone by Anton’s room when he’d left his door open, “Yeah, I thought the ventilation would prevent that kinda thing…”

Ryan opened ship wide comms again, “Gonna head over now. We’re not in a hurry, so take your time getting ready.”

It sounded like Becky started getting dressed faster, “I’m not waiting! I’ve been wanting to visit the city ever since we first came here.”

Ryan warped Luna to the forest outside the city, “I’m not jumping us over the city, so it’ll be another minute until we get there. Don’t want to see what the guards think about a ship appearing out of nowhere.”

Becky laughed, “Yeah! That wouldn’t be good.”

As the others got ready for the day, Ryan moved Luna towards Ildathach at a quick pace, but not alarmingly so.

He spotted Étién not much later, waiting in a barren field near the main road leading into the city.

Today she wore a white lace up top with those sleeves that had slits down the side, blue trousers, and open-toed leather shoes. Her hair still had the same braids, but this time without a hair accessory in the back.

As Luna finished the approach to the field, Ryan watched in amusement as the few merchants and farmers out this early stopped and stared as the ship flew overhead.

Mikan headed for the airlock, followed by Saki and Aoi, and arrived just in time for Luna to land.

Ryan opened the airlock doors, which jammed in the usual spot, and Étién jumped inside.

Saki growled at the sight of Étién and gripped Mikan’s arm tightly.

Aoi’s attention zeroed in on the building visible on the opposite side of the main road from where they’d landed, “What’s that?”

Mikan looked at the somewhat rundown building, “Those are buildings.”

Aoi passed Étién and stopped just shy of exiting Luna, “What buildings for?”

Étién stopped and smiled as she watched Aoi’s obvious fascination with the buildings, “I wish Saki was like this too.”

She didn’t look at Saki.

Mikan shrugged, “Saki’s just cautious.”

Étién nodded, “Yes.” She lifted a bag from her waist, “We should use this medicine before it goes bad.”

Ryan wasn’t sure what to think about the medicine, “Is it safe?”

Étién nodded, “My mother would not give medicine that is harmful. She is the face of my people and making you sick with bad medicine would be bad for our… the way people think about us.”

That made sense to Ryan. If an ambassador got caught poisoning people, it wouldn’t only harm their reputation, but the country they represented.

Mikan nodded, “Okay. What do I need to do?”

Étién pointed to the hatch leading to the main deck, “Your… body and Mikan need to take it inside the container.”

It took Ryan a moment to get what she meant, “Wait… Mikan needs to be inside the brain jar for it to work?”

Étién nodded and started walking towards the hatch, “Yes. That is what Healer Fawinn said when she gave the medicine to me.”

Ryan wasn’t even sure if he could put Mikan in the brain jar without her drowning, “I’m not even sure…” He remembered a medical instrument that oxygenated blood, “I have an idea if Mikan can’t breathe in the brain jar.”

Mikan flitted up through the hatch, Saki in tow.

Étién jumped up and they entered the resurrection room.

Ryan still wasn’t sure he felt comfortable doing this, not because he didn’t trust Étién or her doctor, but because he wasn’t sure how the brain jar would react. The nanites inside might just straight up destroy the medicine before it worked, or cause it to react differently.

Despite his misgivings, he opened up the brain jar’s window and partially drained the fluid, “Here goes…”

The window opened and Mikan flitted inside after she stripped off the simple dress she wore, “Good thing it’s just an hour.”

Étién nodded once, “Yes, we can eat breakfast, then come back for Mikan.”

Mikan smiled, “You already got a place in mind?”

Étién nodded, “Yes, that building Aoi was looking at has food and clothing for sale. It is also the place I wanted to take Mayu. The owner speaks her language, so she would like that, I think. This is why I chose this place for Luna.”

Saki tried flying into the brain jar too, but Mikan pushed her out, “Sorry, Saki. Just Mikan.”

Saki looked irritated after Mikan pushed her out and became even more so when she saw Étién looking at her.

Étién shook her head and looked sad, “She still dislikes me.”

Mikan turned to Saki, “Saki nice to Étién.”

Saki crossed her arms and scowled, “No.”

Étién sighed, shook her head to clear her thoughts, then retrieved the medicine, “Should we wait for the others?”

Mikan shrugged, “Nah. They’ll just fuss about it and it’ll take us longer to start the tour.”

Étién still looked uncertain, “Okay.”

Ryan closed the brain jar’s window and switched to his original voice, “First, let’s see how the jar reacts to Mikan.”

Étién nodded.

Saki moved next to the window and looked alarmed as the fluid in the brain jar started filling it back up, “Mikan okay?”

Ryan was about to speak when several tubes emerged from where the ones connected to his brain originated. Two clear tubes went up Mikan’s nostrils, another went down her throat to her stomach, and two more went into the holes where... the waste comes out of the body. 

Étién winced as the last two tubes inserted themselves, and Ryan put Mikan to sleep once he saw what was happening with the last two tubes.

Ryan popped open a receptacle below the window as air filled Mikan’s lungs through the tubes in her nose, “Looks like everything’s fine. You can pour the medicine in the place that opened.”

Étién stopped just behind Saki, where the fairy watched Mikan floating in the fluid. She then pulled out the medicine, “See you in an hour Mikan.”

Étién poured the viscous metallic liquid into the receptacle.

The receptacle accepted the liquid, and soon the brain jar released it into the fluid after Ryan confirmed it was what he wanted after a generic warning popped up.

The medicine diluted partly into the liquid of the brain jar.

What happened next, Ryan hadn’t expected. The medicine moved towards Mikan and his brain as if it knew exactly where it wanted to go.

Étién didn’t seem surprised.

Ryan wondered if he made a mistake, “What’s it doing? Is that normal?”

Étién nodded, “This medicine is for strengthening bonds between a person and their magic tools. It will go where it needs to.”

Ryan watched the medicine reach Mikan, where it solidified against her skin, then move on to his brain, like tendrils grasping for something, “Huh. So the medicine will strengthen my bond with Mikan, right?”

He wondered if the medicine would do anything to mechanical components already there.

Étién spoke after the medicine reached Ryan’s brain and stopped, “Are you alright? It’s touching your brain.”

Ryan didn’t feel any different, “I feel fine.”

Étién looked relieved, “My mother also gave me an antidote in case it did bad things.”

Ryan felt a little relieved, “You could have told me earlier… I would have felt better about taking it.”

Étién looked embarrassed, “I apologize. I was nervous and forgot to tell you.”

Ryan closed the brain jar’s window, “Well… might as well go get the others. Mayu is already looking for you.”

Étién smiled, “Yes! I look forward to teaching everyone about the city.” She pursed her lips as she realized something, “How will you follow us without Mikan? The flying magic tool?”

Ryan wondered if taking the Mk. II into the city was a good idea, “Is that okay?”

Étién nodded, “Yes. Many Adventurers and nobles carry their magic tools inside the city. Yours is large and many will see it as a sign of wealth, but that will only bring attention.”

Ryan opened the resurrection room’s door to the hallway, “Alright. When we wake Anton up, we can go.”

Saki chewed her lip as she stared at the brain jar’s now closed window, but turned when she heard the door open and flew out of the room after giving Étién a dirty look.

Étién looked disappointed, “Do you think Aoi will let me hug her?”

Ryan laughed, “Maybe. She lets Mayu and Becky.”

Étién left the room, “Maybe I will try after I befriend her.”

Mayu, Saki, and Aoi were near the hatch leading to the lower deck.

Mayu was currently speaking to Saki, “Was Saki nice to Étién?”

Aoi nodded, “Saki, mean not good!”

Saki looked over her shoulder and glared at Étién, “Girl make Mikan sleep. Saki not happy.”

Aoi looked unhappy at this, “Why Mikan sleeping?”

Saki glared at Étién.

Aoi cocked her head to the side and looked at Saki and Mikan.

Mayu noticed Étién and bowed politely, “Good morning, Ms. Étién.”

Étién returned the bow and replied in English, “Good morning.”

Ryan could see Mayu glancing at the door to the resurrection room, “Oh, Niamh sent some medicine with Étién and we just used it. Mikan will need to sleep for about an hour, so not long.”

Mayu seemed to debate something in head, but nodded, saying nothing.

Ryan closed the door to the resurrection room, “Let’s go get the others. Becky and Chie are mostly ready to go, but Anton is still sleeping and I can’t get him to wake up over comms.”

Mayu smiled, “I will be waking him.”

Étién, Mayu, Aoi, and Saki, headed for the bedrooms.

Aoi and Saki stopped short of Anton’s door as it opened.

Aoi plugged her nose, “Anton stinky!”

Saki backed off and plugged her nose too, “Saki don’t like stinky Anton’s room.”

Mayu didn’t hesitate and entered the room, “Anton! Time to wake up!”

Étién’s face soured as she stopped just shy of the door.

Anton groaned.

Mayu studied Anton for a moment, then left the room, “Maybe his punishment is to miss the tour?”

Ryan wondered if she had figured out he slept naked and didn’t want to deal with it.

Ryan closed the door behind Mayu, “Yeah. I can always tell him where we are when he wakes up. Étién is taking us to eat breakfast at a place nearby so he can come later.”

Becky’s door opened, “I thought I heard voices out here.”

Mayu turned to Becky, “Good morning.”

Étién bowed politely to Becky, “Good morning.”

Becky grinned, “Good morning, Étién! Good to see you again!” She turned to Anton’s door, “He still not up?”

Mayu shook her head, “No. We are leaving without him.”

Chie’s door opened, and she walked out, “Good morning.”

The three women returned her greeting.

Ryan still saw no sign of Anton waking, “Alright, before we go, Mikan and my brain took some medicine, so no Mikan for about an hour. I’m gonna use the Mk. II instead, so here's hoping no one attacks it.”

Chie nodded and started walking.

Aoi looked bored and followed Chie, “Talk boring like Chie!” She cackled and sped ahead.

Saki looked bored too, and followed Aoi.

Sashae left her room, yawned, then said, “Good morning.”

Everyone but the fairies and Chie returned the greeting.

Mayu looked Étién over, “Maybe we can scan some medicine?”

Ryan thought it was a good idea, “Probably should have done that first…”

Mayu looked disappointed, “You are fine?”

Ryan still felt nothing out of the ordinary, “Yep!”

Mayu started walking, “We scan medicine later, okay?”

“Sounds good.”

Becky’s stomach rumbled, and she blushed, “Is there any place we can go for food?”

Ryan recalled Mikan being hungry before she went back to sleep, “Yeah, there’s a place nearby.  Étién says the owner probably speaks Japanese, so she wants to take Mayu there.”

Becky ran ahead, “What are we waiting for! Let’s go!”

Mayu looked eager and chased after Becky.

Étién smiled at their excitement and took off, easily passing not just Becky and Mayu, but Chie and the fairies. She then easily jumped to the deck below without skipping a beat when she reached the hatch, and only stopped once she touched the waiting Mk. II in the airlock.

Sashae looked lost and Ryan did his best to fill her in, and at the mention of food, she too took off.

Aoi pointed at Étién as she passed and sped ahead of Chie, “Fast!”

Chie and Saki arrived next, but not by much as Mayu slid down the ladder right behind them, leaving Becky in last place. 

Aoi flitted towards the ramp and looked at the houses near the city gate, the gate itself, then the impenetrable foliage that served as the city wall.

Aoi didn’t look happy, “Too many people.”

Ryan didn’t blame her, she’d only been around the crew, “Do you want to stay?”

Aoi shook her head, “I want to go. Mama will keep me good.”

Saki stayed by the hatch, “Saki stay with Mikan.”

Mayu turned to Saki, “Mama will bring you some food.”

Saki smiled at Mayu, “Thanks Mama.”

Everyone joined Saki and looked over at the early morning scene.

Becky breathed in the cool morning air, “I missed civilization so much!”

Chie looked disinterested, “Large gatherings of people only invite trouble.”

Mayu pointed towards the largest building near the road, “I see kanji!”

The building in question only had its size going for it. It was single storied with a thatch roof that had seen better days, crumbling plaster walls, wide windows on the area closest to the city wall that revealed a somewhat modern dining arrangement, and smaller windows set higher on the leftmost side that probably let light into the kitchen or living areas. To the side nearest the city, there was a stall for horses. 

There were two doors visible on this side. The far left door was smaller and led to the area he’d guessed was the living area. The right door leading to the dining area was a set of opened double doors and had a sign with a thread and spool, crossed knife and fork, and some kanji Ryan couldn’t read.

There were currently three people visible inside. Two, a young woman and a child, sat at a window to the left of the door with the kanji over it. The third was hard to make out and was in the area where the kitchen probably was, and he could only see their shadow.

The woman sitting by the window was looking at Luna.

Ryan zoomed in on the woman and child in the dining area, “Are those cat ears?”

Becky strained her eyes and looked at the scant people in the area, “Where?”

Ryan made a hologram of them, “The two in the window next to the open doors.”

Becky nodded, “Think they’re fake?”

Mayu jumped from the ramp, “I will go on ahead.”

Becky jumped off after Mayu.

Aoi hesitated and glanced at the strangers heading out for the day, who more often than not stared at Luna, then followed.

Ryan turned off the hologram and turned the Mk. II to Étién, “Is that the place you are taking us?”

Étién nodded, “Yes.”

Étién hopped to the ground and took off, leaving a plume of dust behind her as she sped through the untended dirt of the field.

Sashae shrugged and jumped off.

Ryan jumped the Mk. II to the building, beating everyone there.

The child shrieked at the Mk. II’s sudden appearance and nearly fell off the young woman’s lap.

The young woman flinched and stood, hefting the startled child into her arms.

Ryan felt bad, “Sorry.”

Ryan studied the young woman. She had a slender face, framed by white shoulder length hair with uncombed bangs that reached to her cheeks and partially covered her eyes. Her cat ears looked real and there was no sign of human ears. She had large, intelligent eyes that were a dark blue with slit irises like that of a cat. Her nose and mouth were small, but cute and showed no emotion as she studied the Mk. II. Three white lines adorned each cheek and looked like whiskers.

She wore a red gothic Lolita dress, complete with black ribbons, frills, and lace gloves. It was hard to tell her figure because her dress framed her in a way that made it hard to tell her physique, but she looked slender and at least somewhat well endowed, was slightly below average in height and what little of her skin was exposed was pale and probably got little sun. A long tail with fluffy white fur waved lazily behind her.

The child had cat ears too and had lavender hair. Her facial features were much the same as the young woman’s, but more childlike. Her eye color was lavender, much like her hair. She looked about six years old, too old to be the young woman’s child. Hopefully. She wore a dress much like the young woman’s but in pastel pinks and blues instead of the black and red.

Étién arrived before the cat-eared woman spoke.

The young woman’s curious expression turned serious when she saw Étién.

Étién put her hand on the Mk. II, “This tool still amazes me.”

Ryan laughed, “Well, it can travel faster than light.”

Étién turned to the woman, “Can you speak with her? English is her native language, so that will simplify things.”

Ryan lowered the Mk. II, “Uh, hi.”

The young woman looked relieved, but curious, and looked at Luna, “Hi. Is that your ship?”

The Mk. II turned to Luna, then back, “I guess you could say the crew owns it together and I’m… uh… I guess you could say I’m its pilot. ”

The young woman smiled, “Nice! I wish I had a ship.”

Ryan was about to invite her for a tour, but felt he shouldn’t get into the habit of inviting people so easily, “Yeah, it’s pretty cool, just a little beat up.”

She studied Luna, “Just a little?” She looked at the arriving Becky, Mayu, and Chie, “They your crew?”

Ryan bobbed the Mk. II up and down, “Yup!”

She turned back to the Mk. II, “Just girls?”

“Nope, we have two guys including me.”

Mayu arrived and bowed to the young woman, “Good morning. You speak Japanese?”

The young woman glanced towards the sign above the door, “A little, but Shina and Ryo are Japanese.”

Mayu became excited and looked inside the building.

Becky stopped next to Mayu, “She really does have cat ears!”

The young woman’s ears twitched, “Yep! Tail and claws too.”

Everyone except Étién glanced at her hands.

Becky’s eyes went wide, “Oh! You speak English!”

The young woman nodded, “And a little Japanese and the Elven language the humans and elves speak since we get more than adventurers that eat here.”

Becky touched her stomach, “What kind of food do you serve for breakfast?”

The woman flinched, “Right! I’ll show you to your seats.”

Becky turned towards Chie, Sashae, and Aoi, “Three more are coming.”

The woman nodded and looked towards the last three, her eyes eventually focusing on Aoi, “Is that a fairy?”

Becky nodded, “Yes. Aoi is a fairy.” She paused, then held out her hand, “I’m Becky, by the way. Becky Lindhurst.”

The young woman hesitated as if she didn’t enjoy shaking hands, but took it anyway, “Jaren,” she patted the girl she held on her head, “and this is Viennesoire. She’s a little shy so…”

The rest of them introduced themselves.

Jaren led them to their seats, “Okay. I think Galette is making scrambled eggs, sausage, and toast, which is... three copper rings, and grilled fish, vegetables, and rice. Rice has to be imported so that one’s a little more expensive at five copper rings. You’re a little early, so you might have to wait.”

Ryan realized something, and spoke to Étién, “We don’t have any money.”

Étién patted a pouch at her waist, “I brought some.”

Ryan felt bad taking advantage of Étién, “Are you sure?”

Étién smiled and sat at the table.

Ryan wondered how he’d found someone so nice, then relayed the news. 

Everyone except Aoi thanked her, then took their seats

Mayu ordered first, “Aoi and I will have the grilled fish.”

Back on Luna, Anton groaned and started to wake up.

Becky ordered next, “Fish sounds good, I’ll have that too.”

Chie had a slight smile on her face, “I will have the eggs and sausage.”

Sashae pursed her lips as she watched the others.

Ryan told Sashae the choices of meal in her language.

Sashae quickly chose, “Eggs and meat.”

Ryan relayed it to Jaren.

Étién order in English, “Feesh, please.”

Jaren cracked a smile and nodded, “Fish it is.” Jaren turned back to the others and repeated the orders back to make sure she got everything correct. She then turned back to Mayu, “Shina is coming. Seems like she’s excited to meet another Japanese person.”

Étién pulled two silver rings and one copper from her money pouch and placed them on the table.

Mayu stood up and turned towards the door leading deeper into the building, her excitement obvious for everyone to see.

Becky leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table, “I’m so happy for you.”

Mayu glanced at Becky, “Yes. I am happy to see another Japanese person.”

Jaren turned to Mayu, “I hope you like clothes and French desserts. She…”

A young Japanese woman came from the back room.

The woman, Shina, had typical Asian features, with black hair, narrow dark brown eyes, etc… She had high cheekbones, a narrow face, and had her long hair done in a long braid down her back. Her height seemed average, as was her build. An outfit that looked like traditional Japanese work clothes completed her image.

Shina stopped when she saw the group waiting at the table, in Japanese, “There is a Japanese person here?”

Mayu bowed, replying in Japanese, “My name is Iwata Mayu. My appearance is different, but in my heart I am still Japanese.”

Shina returned Mayu’s bow, “My name is Nagano Shina. I am pleased to meet you Ms. Iwata.” She looked Mayu over, “So pretty.” 

Mayu blushed, “My friend Ryan chose it.”

Shina looked around, “Ryan chose?”

Ryan felt he should introduce himself now that he had been name dropped, speaking in Japanese, “Oh, I’m Campbell Ryan. Pleased to meet you, Shina.”

Shina looked at the probe in confusion, “This machine is Mr. Campbell?”

Mayu shook her head, “Ryan must stay with our ship, but can talk and see through the probe.”

Shina still looked confused, “Ship? Probe?”

Mayu pointed to Luna, “Our ship.”

Shina’s eyes went wide, “Wow. That is amazing!”

Mayu nodded, “Yes, Luna can do many amazing things.”

Shina looked away from Luna and back to Mayu, “What is your job?”

Mayu turned back to Shina, “I am in charge of medicine.”

Shina put her hands together in a show of respect and amazement, “Amazing! You are a doctor!”

Mayu shook her head, “I still have much to learn.” She looked at the door behind Shina, “You are a chef?”

Shina nodded, grabbed Mayu’s hand and pulled her towards the door, “Yes. I also sew. Let me show you a kimono I just finished.”

Mayu followed Shina, glancing behind to the others and shrugged.

Aoi followed too, “Where are we going? Is it fun?”

Jaren sighed, “Shina has way too much energy… Not as bad as her husband, though, but he’s usually gone hunting so it’s not so bad.”

Becky looked like she wanted to follow, “Can I…”

Jaren shrugged and gestured towards Mayu and Shina, “I don’t see why not. Just… well, let’s say Shina will probably try to dress you up.” She pointed to herself, “She makes me wear this to advertise her sewing, but I’ve always liked Goth Loli fashion so I don’t mind.”

Becky whistled, “She made that dress?”

Jaren nodded, “Yep. She’s really good, and ever since she bought that magic sewing machine from the Dwarves, she’s pretty fast too.”

Becky inspected the dress for a moment longer, then followed Mayu, “Maybe I should look into buying something when we get some money.”

Jaren watched her leave, “I’ll have your breakfast delivered to Shina’s sewing room.”

Becky turned her upper body halfway around as she walked, “Thanks!”

Ryan had no desire for fashion so felt no temptation to follow, “I guess it’s just us.”

Chie looked lost in thought, and didn’t react.

Étién looked lost, “What happened?”

Ryan gave her the gist of it.

Étién looked somewhat interested in going too, “I have heard the clothing made here is different, but,” she looked at Jaren’s and Viennesoire’s outfits, “they are beautiful. I might have to bring my mother here.”

Jaren looked like she was trying to understand Étién, but didn’t comment.

Ryan heard a group of men approaching outside.

Jaren heard it too, “I better get back to work.”

Jaren walked back to the door and waited for the men.

Anton stirred again, so Ryan tried his luck, “Anton. You awake?”

Anton groaned, “Come on. Let me sleep some more.”

Ryan brought up the feed from the Mk. II, “Then I guess you don’t want breakfast?”

Anton bolted upright, “What!? Ya left without me!?”

Ryan recalled their earlier attempts, “We tried waking you up earlier, Mayu even considered pulling your covers off of you, but I think she realized you sleep naked so she didn’t.”

Anton slipped out of his bed, Ryan thankful the video feed wasn’t on, “Don’t eat without me!”

Ryan guessed he could order for him, “Want eggs and sausage or fish?”

Anton paused, “Sausage!”

Étién walked to the door to the back area and peeked inside.

The group of men, Adventurers by the look of their armor and use of English, entered.

Jaren seated them away from Ryan’s group.

Ryan tried eavesdropping, but other than a couple of mentions of Luna, they mostly talked about their hunting plans.

When Étién came back, they quieted and watched her.

“What’s she doing here?” One said.

“I heard she sneaks out and trains every morning,” another said.

“I found her training spot the other day, and she barely scratched the trees,” a third said.

Ryan focused on Étién.

Étién seemed like she didn’t understand what they were saying, but from their looks she could tell they were talking about her.

Jaren noticed Étién’s discomfort and cleared her throat, “You guys want the usual?”

Étién sat back down and stayed quiet.

Ryan wondered what kind of rumors were floating around about her, “You okay?”

Étién didn’t look at the Mk. II and stared at the table, “Yes. Everything is fine.”

Ryan didn’t want to push anything farther at the moment, “Okay, but you can talk to me about anything.”

Étién smiled and looked up, “Thank you.”

Jaren finished taking the other group’s orders and came back to them, “Your orders are almost ready.”

Ryan needed to get Anton’s order, “Oh, our last crew member finally woke up. Can we get eggs and sausage for him?”

Jaren nodded, “Sure.”

A green-haired cat girl came out with three trays.

She looked similar to Jaren and Viennesoire, as if they were sisters. She wore a black French maid costume with white frills.

Her green eyes quickly found them, a hint of recognition appeared on her face when she saw the Mk. II, and she walked up to their table, “Two orders of egg and sausage and one fish?”

Ryan noticed a nametag on her dress, ‘Galette.’

Ryan wondered if she’d seen the Mk. II while he watched the city, “Yeah, that’s us.”

Galette placed the plates on the table, “Enjoy your meal.”

Galette hurried back through the door.

It was about this time that Anton reached the airlock.

He took one look outside when something got his attention, “Hey! Back off!”

Ryan couldn’t see where Anton was looking with the airlock camera, so he turned the Mk. II towards Luna, “What going on?”

Ryan saw two short men next to Luna.

Both men wore worn work clothes, had long beards, and looked well built. One had flaming red hair, the other light brown.

The red head was kneeling and had his hand on Luna’s hull, he was looking at Anton, “This your ship?”

Anton jumped down, “What are ya doin’!?”

Redhead stood up, “Heard a flyin’ trash heap landed outside. Thought I’d come an’ give ‘er a look.”

Anton pushed Redhead away, “Lookin’s fine. It’s the touchin’ I don’t like.”

Redhead backed off, “Cool yer head. I wasn’t plannin’ on doin’ nothin’ to yer ship.”

Anton crossed his arms, “What do ya want, anyway?”

Redhead looked Luna over, “Yer ship’s in needa repairs, and I can help ya with that.”

Anton shook his head, “That’s my job. I don’t need help.”

Redhead looked sceptical, “Sure don’t look like it.”

Anton turned and shouted at the airlock, “Ryan, show ‘em my newest baby.”

The repair drone Anton finished that night was currently finishing the work on the dorsal sensor, “On the way! Want Repairy too?”

Anton shook his head, “Nah.”

Étién noticed the Mk. II focused on Luna and turned to look, “Ah, dwarves.”

The realization dawned on Ryan, “Oh! That makes sense.”

Étién turned back to the table and watched the others eat, “They are harmless. They will leave easily.”

Anton tapped his foot as he waited for the drone.

Redhead whispered something to his colleague.

The repair drone exited the Usual Breach and stopped above Anton.

Anton grinned, and raised his hand towards the drone, “Just finished this baby last night. Give me and my drones a week and ya won’t be callin’ Luna trash no more.”

Redhead looked impressed, “That’s a fine magic tool ya have there. Ya built this yerself?”

Anton put his hands on his hips and grinned, “Designed it and put it together.”

Redhead thought for a moment, “You help us design somethin’ like that and I’ll make it worth your while. Some gold rings or upgrades for yer ship if ya do us a good one.”

Anton crossed his arms, and gave the dwarf’s offer some consideration, “Let me take a look around your place and we’ll see.”

Redhead turned and waved for Anton to follow, “Come on! I think you’ll like what ya see.”

Anton followed the dwarf.

Ryan turned to Jaren, “Looks like we don’t need that extra order.”

Jaren nodded, “It’s almost rush, so we’ll give it to someone else.” She smiled, “Looks like Shina’s finished with your friends.”

Moments later, the door to the back area opened and Mayu, Becky, Aoi, and Shina came out.

Ryan hadn’t seen Jaren speaking to anyone but customers and wondered how she was giving orders to the kitchen or knew when someone was coming from the back.

He turned his attention back to the women. He could ask Jaren later.

Becky and Mayu looked beautiful. Mayu wore a gold and white kimono and Becky wore an outfit of the same style as the farmers, but in higher quality material with some simple embroidery.

Becky twirled in place to show off her outfit, “What do you think?”

Ryan thought it looked good, “Looks great! You look great too, Mayu.”

Mayu smiled and looked happy, “Thank you. It is so nostalgia.”

Étién looked a little jealous, “These clothes are very cute!”

Ryan was about to tell the others what Étién said, but the tendrils connecting his brain to Mikan dissolved and he felt a sort of stretch and jerking to his essence.

He woke Mikan up and immediately noticed a difference. Before, Mikan felt separate, like the other drones and Luna, but now she felt as if she was a part of him now. He felt he didn’t even need to use the communicator implanted in her brain anymore.

Ryan started draining some liquid so Mikan could leave the brain jar, “Looks like the medicine worked. I… well… it’s hard to describe, but I feel a stronger connection to Mikan now, like she’s more a part of me than before.”

He translated what he said to Étién.

Becky seemed relieved, “That’s good, maybe we can try visiting Étién’s place again?”

Étién seemed ecstatic, “We will get Mikan now?”

The window to the brain jar opened and a wet, naked Mikan flew out to a relieved Saki.

Ryan didn’t think so, “Nah, I can bring her here, just need to dry her off and put some clothes on.”

Ryan still didn’t feel comfortable dressing Mikan. She wasn’t well endowed, but seeing a naked woman from a first person perspective was still weird to him, so he dressed her as fast as possible.

Shina walked over to Jaren while the crew talked and handed her a sheet of yellowed parchment, speaking in Japanese, “Can you buy this?” She turned to the crew, “And help them?”

Jaren took the parchment with a bit of hesitation, glanced out the window at the sky, back to Shina, to the crew, sighed, then replied in Japanese, “Yes.”

Shina bowed slightly and walked over to Mayu, “Your friends like the clothes?”

Mayu nodded once, “Yes, thank you again.”

Shina smiled, “That is good.”

Mayu seemed to remember something, still speaking in Japanese, “Ryan, can you print ten meters of nanotube cloth and some thread? Shina said she would trade us these clothes for some.”

Ryan didn’t see a problem with that, “Yeah, shouldn’t take too long. I can deliver it with Anton’s new repair drone too.”

Shina bowed, “Thank you.”

Étién noticed Mikan exit Luna, with Saki close behind, “We should go?”

Ryan felt it was a good time to leave, “Everyone ready?”

Becky, who was showing her clothes to Sashae, nodded, “Yep! I want to show these clothes off.”

Chie stood up and nodded, “I am ready.”

Mayu turned to Shina, “I will come again.”

Jaren grabbed an enormous umbrella made of oiled canvas and also a metal pole from next to the entrance, then walked outside, “Can you wait a second? I have to take care of something before you leave.”

A man from the other group noticed, “She’s going outside!”

Another laughed in excitement, “This never gets old!”

Étién watched Jaren closely, “Do they really come?”

Jaren opened the enormous umbrella and shouted to the sky, “Bring it on you narcissist!”

Ryan watched Jaren, “What will come?”

Becky noticed Jaren, “Who’s she yelling at?”

Ryan heard the calls from several kinds of birds and they sounded angry.

Étién moved to the window and stuck her head outside, “Birds! The birds really come!”

Through Mikan, Ryan saw about a dozen birds of different sizes and species heading towards Jaren.

Becky joined Étién by the window, “What’s up with the birds?”

Mayu turned to Shina, looking for an answer.

Shina watched as Jaren hefted the metal pole, “Every time Jaren goes outside the birds…”

The birds dove at Jaren, pooping on her like a dive bomber going after an aircraft carrier in the Battle of Midway, but she expertly used the umbrella to block each one.

The men howled with laughter.

Jaren swung the pole at any bird that got too close, hitting one.

The attack only lasted seconds, and soon the birds flew away as if nothing had happened.

Jaren looked around, then inspected her dress when she saw there were no more attacking birds. 

When she found her dress clean, she turned to the crew, “Alright, should be safe now.”

Becky, Mayu, and Étién looked stunned, amused too, but stunned.

Jaren closed the poop covered umbrella and wiped it off on some grass.

Chie walked out first, “Well, are we leaving or not?”

Becky jogged out after him, “A woman gets pooped on by dozens of birds and that’s all you have to say!?”

Mayu laughed lightly and went outside.

Aoi looked frightened and looked around, “Birds scary. Stay here?”

Sashae patted Aoi on the head, “I make Aoi good.”

Aoi flitted behind Sashae and rested her arms and chin on Sashae’s shoulder, “Sashae make birds go away?”

Sashae nodded.

Étién noticed Mikan and ran to her at superhuman speeds, scooping her into her arms, “Mikan! I missed you!”

Sometimes Ryan wondered if Étién only liked Mikan and not him as Ryan, “Hey! I was with you the whole time!”

Étién looked a little ashamed, “I prefer Ryan as Mikan, but I still like Ryan as a magic tool.”

Ryan couldn’t blame her. A warm, living body was much more comforting and relatable than a drone or a brain in a jar.

Ryan noticed Saki watching Étién from behind. She looked downright angry. 

Étién was about to say something to Saki, but the fairy looked away in a huff and flew to Mayu.

He would have to figure out how to get her and Étién to get along before something bad happened. He guessed he could think about it as they went on their tour and talk to the others.

For now, he returned the Mk. II to Luna, where he watched the group head towards the city gate. He recalled never having cared either way about cities, and much preferred the mountains, but now he looked forward to being in the crowds after being stuck so long on a ship.

Yes, Jaren is my profile avatar. If you look through my comment history for a certain story here on Scribblehub, you can find Jaren's backstory which led to the creation of my avatar. No need to look for the backstory because I'll give the gist of it in the next chapter or two, and I'll post a link to the first part then.

Might have a second chapter out on Tuesday. If it's not out by then don't expect it out until the usual time. It's 4k words currently so it'll probably be another long chapter, but there's only one more major scene to go.

P.S. catgirls rule. Dogs drool.

24