Chapter 32
467 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan felt Mikan regaining consciousness but felt it would still be a few more minutes before that fairy dust wore off.

He turned his attention back to the Mk. II and finished his inspection of the Builder’s house in the still under construction museum.

The builder still wasn’t inside, so he had to decide what to do next.

It wasn’t until he returned to the main entrance, that he noticed something different.

It was a note that read: I noticed Luna’s repairs are almost finished. I’m sorry I can’t see you, but as an apology I’ve prepared a gift for you. You were trying to scan a defense platform and I realized you were looking for a way to protect yourself from the interdimensional beings you call ‘Meatballs.’ I have left a version of the device that prevents them from becoming insubstantial that is small enough to fit on Luna’s turrets inside. Please do not touch anything but the device. 

Ryan felt a wave of relief pass over him. He’d been at his wit’s end trying to figure out how to get his hands on one of the devices, and here the Builder had noticed and given him one. A bit too easy for his liking, but welcome.

Ryan moved the Mk. II closer to the door and looked for a way to open it.

The door opened as the Mk. II approached.

Ryan didn’t hesitate and moved the Mk. II inside. 

As soon as the Mk. II was inside, a seam in the floor appeared, opened, and a long metallic cylinder floated out of the hole.

Ryan figured this was the device the Builder had left for him.

There was only one problem. The device was longer than the Mk. II was wide, so it was impossible to bring it back, even if the Mk. II had storage capacity.

Ryan pulled a repair drone off the last sensor that needed repairs and started bringing it to the museum. It was slow, so it’d take a few minutes to arrive, but that meant he could turn his attention back to Mikan.

At this point, Mikan was still mostly unresponsive, but he was now starting to hear her surroundings, although the sounds of birds chirping was all he could hear.

Mikan groaned as Ryan’s control improved.

Ryan heard the fluttering of wings, “Sister! Lantana is awake!”

Ryan didn’t recognize the language, but through Mikan he understood it. It reminded him of how his machine brain learned languages before his meat brain did. In this case it was through Mikan’s brain that he understood the language and if he couldn’t hear it through Mikan, he felt he wouldn’t understand it until his machine brain and himself took the time to learn it.

Saki’s voice came in a yell, “Her name is Mikan!”

The first fairy’s voice came back, “Yes, Verbena.”

Saki’s voice was nearer, “My name is Saki!”

“Yes, Verbena.”

Ryan heard the rustling of leaves, and someone hugged Mikan, “Mikan is awake!”

Mikan’s eyes struggled to open, and all Ryan saw was some branches and leaves bundled into a nest along with Saki’s legs, “Saki?”

Saki hugged Mikan even tighter, “Saki rescued you from the big people and long ear! Saki and Mikan are free now!”

Ryan tried raising Mikan’s head to get a better look at Saki, and barely managed, “Saki… Why?”

Saki loosened her hold on Mikan and looked her in the eyes, “Big people keep us from being free. Long ear trying to decieve Mikan! Saki saved Mikan!”

Mikan shook her head, “Saki, why did you attack Étién?”

Saki pulled Mikan into an embrace again, “Long ear was taking Mikan away from Saki. Long ear would come after Mikan if Saki didn’t hurt her. Saki needed to teach long ear not to mess with Saki or Mikan!”

Mikan scowled, “You almost killed Étién!”

Saki’s face became sympathetic, “Saki was doing what was best for Mikan. Mikan will understand.”

Mikan pushed Saki away, “Saki, if you let Mikan go right now, I’ll leave you alone despite what you did. But if I have to find this place…”

Saki laughed, “Mikan will understand. We have many sisters here. This is our home. Places with big people not good. Happier here. Mikan and Saki happier here!”

Mikan’s eyes wandered around and saw she was in some sort of spherical house made of sticks and leaves. There were three small openings that served as windows, and some leaves with stems tied in a way to the ceiling that made them function as a door. There wasn’t any furniture or decorations. 

Mikan stood up. She was still fighting off the effects of the fairy dust and almost fell over, but Saki helped hold her up.

Saki turned to the door, “Sister! Bring food!”

No one replied.

Saki clicked her tongue in annoyance, “Sisters never listen.”

Ryan noticed Mikan wasn’t bound in any way and could easily leave the house, “How many sisters are here?”

Saki flitted to the door, stopped, and counted on her fingers, “Eleven!”

Once Saki left through the door, Mikan flitted to the nearest window and looked outside.

There was nothing but forest. 

The house Mikan was in was woven into several branches of a large tree, and he could see three more like it nearby in the same tree.

He looked for fairies next, but saw none and guessed they were either in the other houses, invisible, or off somewhere.

Other than that, it looked like every other part of the forest he’d seen and it was impossible to see the sky or tell where he was.

Mikan moved to a window opposite the door. It was a little small, but Mikan managed to fit through after some fiddling with her wings.

It was impossible to tell where Saki was thanks to her invisibility so Mikan used the tree as cover as she made her way towards the canopy.

Once through the canopy, Mikan looked around and all Ryan saw was a sea of endless trees. This didn’t matter, as he moved the Mk. I above the forest and started looking for her.

A shadow passed over Mikan, and she looked up to see a large bird she didn’t recognize.

The bird had seen her too, and was turning back towards her.

Hands grabbed Mikan’s legs and pulled her back into the tree. It was Saki.

Saki looked furious, “Mikan stupid! Many things eat us. Mikan can’t be unseen. Don’t go until learning to be unseen!”

Ryan noticed an animal watching Mikan as they descended and he remembered how the shrews had easily killed a group of fairies.

Mikan followed Saki, “Sorry. Can you teach me to turn invisible?”

Saki shrugged, “No teach.” She pointed to her heart, “Feel inside how.”

Ryan guessed it was something fairies knew how to do instinctively, but even Aoi hadn’t mastered invisibility yet, so he guessed it came to some fairies faster than others, “Okay. I’ll stay inside until I can turn invisible.”

Saki nodded and smiled, “Yes!” She looked to the fairy house Mikan had woken up in, “Mikan hungry? Saki brought food!”

Mikan’s stomach rumbled at the thought of food, “Okay.”

Ryan didn’t want to stay with Saki, but it seemed the safe thing to do. At least until he could make Mikan turn invisible too. After that, he was out.”

***

Étién lay on her bed with her eyes closed.

She had much to think about. How she had been an idiot and almost got herself killed. Ryan confessing his feelings to her, and surprising herself by realising she felt the same.

Ryan interested her. He had command of so many things. Had so much power at his hands. Yet he didn’t let it go to his head. He had easily befriended her, and had told her many things she felt he should keep secret. Had shown her his vulnerabilities. He trusted her. He had done all he could to save her. 

He was someone even her mother seemed to hold some respect for.

But despite all these thoughts, something kept distracting her.

When she was waking up in Ryan’s most vulnerable place, she’d felt worry that wasn’t hers. When she opened her eyes, she’d felt joy and happiness. When Ryan confronted her about her mistake, she’d felt frustration, anger, and sadness.

She was feeling his emotions, she’d realized. 

She had noticed how the emotions came and went with what she saw on Ryan’s face.

She knew it should make her feel concerned to have such an intimate connection to someone she respected and liked so much, but she found it comforting. She’d been lonely for so long, that she’d yearned for someone to be close too. Her mother, the guards, various tutors, and Healer Fawinn had made it so she was almost never alone for long, but they had never provided any friendship, let alone romance.

Étién focused on Ryan’s emotions. He had gone from excited, to confused, to angry, to scared, and finally to hungry in the space of only a few minutes. 

What was going on? Until then, she’d felt almost nothing.

Étién picked up the communicator Ryan had given her and pushed the button that turned it on after she made sure she was alone, “Ryan?”

Étién felt her chest tighten and her heart speed up from the anticipation.

Ryan replied immediately, “Oh! Étién! How are you?”

Étién glanced at her ribs, “It hurts to breathe, but I am doing well.”

Ryan paused before answering, “That’s good! Oh! Good timing! Mikan just woke up!”

Étién immediately understood Ryan’s wave of emotions and felt his excitement, “Oh! Is she safe?”

“Yes. She’s in a small fairy community somewhere in the forest.”

Étién tried to recall if she’d heard about any place fairies lived nearby, “I do not know where fairies may live, but there may be Adventurers that know.”

“Oh, good idea! I will see if Becky will look for some to ask.”

Étién pictured Ryan trying to ask around using drones, and probably sent Ryan feelings of amusement, “Yes. I think Becky will do well.”

Ryan paused again, “Oh! I have some drones at the Builder’s place and he left something for me to help with those creatures that can come through gateways.”

Étién smiled to herself, “That is fortunate! Is the Builder there? Did you ask for your body?”

“No. I left a message, though.”

Étién hoped the Builder wouldn’t be gone for long, “I think the Builder will help.”

“I hope so. I did not realize how much I liked my body until it was gone. Not that being a ship, several drones, and a fairy is not cool.”

Étién heard some footsteps heading towards the embassy’s hospital, “Someone is coming. I should go.”

Ryan sounded disappointed, “Okay. We can talk later?”

Étién raised her finger over the off button, “Yes!”

“Okay. Get some rest, okay.”

Étién nodded to herself, “Yes!”

The comm turned off.

Étién wiped her grin off her face just as the door opened, and Healer Fawinn and her assistant came in.

***

Ryan tried to hide his giddiness from his talk with Étién as he opened a comm to Becky, “Hey, Becky. Can I ask you a favor?”

Becky was working with Anton on her project in the mess hall, and looked up, “Yeah? What’s up?”

“I told Étién Mikan woke up. She didn’t know where any fairies live, but said some Adventurers might know. I’ll go ask Jaren if you’ll ask around in town.”

Becky nodded in understanding, “Good idea. River and Mathew seemed pretty strong and we know where they stay so I’ll ask them.”

Ryan didn’t even want to think about Mathew. It wasn’t because he’d killed Mayu and Evan, but because his personality rubbed him the wrong way.

Becky stood up from her chair and turned to Anton, “Do you want to come too?”

Anton didn’t look up from the hologram he was fiddling with, “Nah. I want ta finish this for ya.”

Becky smiled, “Alright, give me a call if you need anything.”

Anton nodded, “Sure.”

Becky left the mess hall and headed to the city.

Ryan jumped the Mk. I to Shina’s place.

It was currently at the tail end of breakfast, so there was only one patron inside, and Jaren was sitting at the door.

Jaren hopped off the stool she sat on and straightened her dress, “Morning!”

Ryan stopped the Mk. I in front of Jaren, “Just wanted to let you know Mikan woke up.”

Jaren smiled, “That’s good. I’m guessing she’s in the forest where your drones can’t find her?”

Ryan bobbed the Mk. I up and down, “Yeah. I tried flying above the treetops, but Mikan almost got eaten by a bird.”

Jaren looked amused, “Yeah, birds suck.” She looked into the back room, “Oh, Ryo came back last night. Want to go meet him?”

Ryan was curious to finally see Shina’s infamous husband, “Sure, but can I ask you a question first?”

Jaren turned back to the Mk. I, “Sure.”

“Do you know where any fairies live?”

Jaren put a finger to her lip and crossed her right arm across her stomach as she thought, “No. They’re pretty good at hiding and aren’t worth bothering. Madeleine and Millefuille once got a few mad and…”

A loud deep voice came from the back room and spoke some of the most terrible English Ryan had ever heard, “Talk metal ball listening!”

Jaren face palmed and laughed, “I’ll never get used to Ryo’s English.”

The door to the kitchen burst open, and one of the most muscular men Ryan had ever seen walked into the dining area.

He was definitely Japanese, with dark hair and eyes, and high cheekbones. He was fairly tall, had a strong chin, and muscles one would see on a body builder.

He wore a grey yukata with a sash around the waist and had slippers on his feet.

The remaining diner bent over his food and tried to look inconspicuous.

Ryan wondered if he should speak in English or Japanese to Ryo, and settled on Japanese to spare himself a headache, “Good morning, Mr. Ryo. It is nice to finally meet you.”

Ryo walked up to the Mk. I and stopped, slapping the drone like he was patting it on the back, “No! Speaking English! Very much practicing!”

Jaren gave the Mk. I a thumb’s up and escaped through the front door.

Ryan spoke in English and hoped he wouldn’t regret it, “Okay! We can speak in English.”

Ryo slapped the Mk. I again and started pushing it towards the back room, “Going behind! Very talking!”

Ryan decided to treat this event as a puzzle, “Yes… going behind…”

He didn’t know if ‘behind’ meant behind the restaurant or in the back room.

Ryo took the Mk. I to a back room filled with weapons and armor, “Helping good things!”

Ryan watched Ryo gesture to his things, “You want me to make better armor and weapons?”

Ryo looked like he didn’t understand.

Ryan switched to Japanese, “You want me to make you weapons and armor?”

Ryo crossed his arms and grinned, then switched to Japanese, “Yeah. Use your spaceship metal to make me good stuff.”

Ryan was relieved Ryo switched so easily to Japanese despite demanding to speak English earlier, “Uh… Not sure if I can do much better than the dwarves.”

Ryo walked over to a device in the corner of the room, “Take this. I got the cats to steal some stuff from the dwarves.”

Ryan sighed deeply, “You stole it…”

Ryo patted the device and laughed heartily, “Dwarves always ripping everyone off! Dwarf stuff special they say!”

Ryan moved the Mk. I over to the device. The drone still had a scanner attached to it so he turned it on and started scanning, “Get the cats to return what they stole. I’m not using stolen equipment.”

Ryo rolled his eyes, “Dwarves don’t need this.”

Ryan liked what he saw with what he’d scanned so far, and it wouldn’t be too difficult to upgrade the fabricator, “We don’t need it either. I’m not saying to turn yourselves in, just… put it somewhere the dwarves will find everything.”

Ryo looked irritated, “Stingy…”

Ryo left the room.

The Mk. II was returning ahead of the repair drone carrying the anti-meatball device and sent it to find Jaren while the Mk. I scanned the dwarven tech.

Jaren was cleaning the table the last patron of the morning had sat at, Viennesoire sitting on her shoulders.

The Mk. II stopped next to Jaren, “Hey, I just found out some of your sisters stole some Dwarven forging tools. Did you know anything about that?”

Jaren straightened up and pinched her nose in irritation, “Again?” She crossed her arms and from her facial expressions was having a telepathic conversation Ryan was glad he couldn’t hear. After a minute she turned back to the Mk. II, “They’re going to return everything tonight. If they get caught I’m going to leave them to rot.”

Ryan was going to make sure to leave the cats alone for the rest of the day, “How often do they steal things?”

Jaren shrugged, “No idea. The Three Stooges are easily the strongest and they know it, so they do what they want.”

Ryan had always thought of Jaren as their leader, “You’re not their leader?”

Jaren pursed her lips, “I’m the face of the party, I guess, but they’re part cat and… well… you know how cats are. They only listen when they want to.”

Ryan understood completely, “It’s just those three?”

Jaren nodded, “Millefuille and Madeline do most of the work because they’re fast, but Marjolane helps when she can. Mostly carrying stuff back. The rest of the girls mostly follow the ‘lazy cat’ trope so don’t really like getting out much.”

Ryan recalled he never saw the other cat girls outside other than for chores, “I guess you’re lucky it’s just those three.”

Jaren raised her hands and shook her head in annoyance, “I’d rather have none.”

Ryan bobbed the Mk. II up and down, “Yeah.”

Jaren sighed, “Looks like Ryo is looking for me. Time for after breakfast practice.”

“Oh? What do you practice?”

Jaren bent over and hurried to finish cleaning the table, “Kendo. Ryo is a Purple so he’s got good strength and defense, but he’s still faster than me, so I’m pretty much a punching bag that can dodge and pretend to fight back.”

“That doesn’t sound fun.”

Jaren finished wiping, and picked up a small broom and dust pan and started sweeping crumbs from the floor, “Yeah, not really. It was kinda fun at first, but getting pushed back, smacked to the ground and into the air, disarmed, and my clothes getting torn got old pretty fast. Still, I am getting better, so it’s not a waste of time.”

Ryan could hear Ryo talking to Shina through the Mk. I, “Looks like he’s talking to Shina, so no need to hurry.”

Ryo shouted in excitement and heavy footsteps could be heard running through the back hallway, “We’re gonna have a baby!”

Viennsoire looked towards the back area.

Jaren looked over too, “Viennesoire noticed this morning. Apparently Ryo and Shina’s night time activities last night, well… you know…”

Ryan looked at Viennesoire, “She can tell this early?”

Jaren nodded and finished her cleaning, “Yeah, kinda creepy she can see inside ya like that.”

Viennesoire smacked Jaren on the back of the head.

Jaren laughed, “Hey, how’d you feel if someone was lookin’ around inside your body? Oh! Looks like you need to poop soon! Better get on that! Your bladder’s lookin’ mighty full there, need to take a break? Looks like the little swimmers from last night’s session are makin’ their way to that egg…”

Viennsoire blushed.

Jaren patted her thigh, then turned to the Mk. II, “Well, I better change into my sparring clothes. Those nanotube clothes Shina made from the cloth you gave her are really good for it, so thanks.”

Ryan bobbed the Mk. II once, “You’re welcome. Just ask if you need more.”

Jaren smiled, “Thanks.”

Ryan looked around with the Mk. II, “Can I watch the practice?”

Jaren pointed behind the restaurant, “Sure. There’s a round patch of dirt next. Wait for us there.”

Ryan decided to go find Becky while Jaren changed and found her walking back towards Luna, “Hey! You find them?”

Becky looked up at the approaching Mk. II, “I found their inn, but they’re gone for the day so I left a message.”

Ryan wasn’t surprised, “So I guess we’ll see them tonight or tomorrow.”

Becky nodded, “Yes. I hope so. I’m actually surprised they haven’t come to Luna yet.”

Ryan thought about it, “They’re probably busy.”

Becky looked like she didn’t care, “Maybe. I’ve been so busy with Anton I hadn’t even thought about it.”

Ryan checked on Anton, “Looks like he’s almost done working on the design. I bet we can start building one tonight.”

Becky smiled, “And with you getting that anti-meatball device, we can finally get back to looking for home.”

Ryan heard Ryo and Jaren going outside through the Mk. I, “Want to come watch Ryo and Jaren spar?”

Becky looked excited, “Shina’s husband is back! How is he?”

Ryan groaned, “Very… insistent. Also very bad at English.”

Becky picked up her pace, “Where are they sparing?”

Ryan lowered the Mk. I to the ground, “Hop on. I’ll take you there.”

Becky climbed on and grabbed two fairy wings for support, “Are you sure we can’t put a seatbelt on here?”

Ryan thought for a moment, “I think a better idea is for Anton’s next project to be a flying car.”

Becky looked excited at the idea, “That’s a good idea. Luna’s too big to enter town or go into the forest.”

Ryan found a round patch of dirt not far from the mostly disassembled dragon.

Ryo was standing opposite Jaren, and wore simple padded armor and a face mask with Jaren wearing a sports bra and tight fitting shorts. Jaren held a tannish white sword probably made of wood, and Ryo a metal sword.

Becky pointed to Ryo’s sword, “Why does he have a real sword?” She paused, “Oh, right. Jaren can’t get hurt.

Ryan was preoccupied with something else. Jaren’s body was sculpted to perfection. He knew she had a great body, but now that he saw her wearing so little he could tell she had probably been designed with perfection in mind. There wasn’t a single part of her body that was flawed, from the ratio of her three sizes, her legs, shoulders, face, and so on.

Ryan felt Étién’s emotions go from the persistent boredom he’d felt from her since they finished talking, to suspicion as he ogled Jaren.

Ryan set Becky down, and focused on Ryo, “Looks like they’re starting.”

Ryo lept towards Jaren, and attacked her with an overhead strike, “Head!”

Jaren barely pulled her sword up in time, but Ryo overpowered her and pushed her sword into her forehead, sending her tumbling backwards.

Becky looked at Jaren’s sword, “What is that thing made of?”

Ryan got a closer look at the sword and saw that it wasn’t made out of wood, but bone. He turned to the dragon corpse. Could it be?

Ryo wasted no time and charged Jaren again, “Chest!”

Jaren was still recovering from her stumble, and took the full force of the hit, sending her rolling backwards.

Becky raised her fist, “Come on, Jaren! You can do it!”

Jaren glanced at Becky and gave her a hopeless expression before charging at Ryo.

Jaren ended up putting up a valiant fight, but Ryo was just too fast and strong so the practice was very one sided.

Ryan finished the scans with the Mk. I and ended up focusing on studying them while he waited in vain for Jaren to get a hit in.

***

Étién was bored. Very bored.

All she could do was stare at the ceiling and study Ryan’s emotions.

His emotions were very subtle and focused, but it was those rare moments that made it worth it and it was easy to tell when he was talking to someone. From what she could guess, that rush of confusion, disbelief, and amusementment she’d felt earlier meant something unexpected had happened. Then there was the brief disappointment, turned guilt mixed with excitement meant he’d probably done something he shouldn’t have. 

She felt a new emotion come from him. A contagious one that started to make her heart race, her cheeks flush, and… there to…

Étién slowly began to connect the dots. It couldn’t be. What… no… who was he looking at? He knew Becky was attractive, but he had never treated her like he felt anything towards her, so it must be a different woman. Maybe one of the cat girls? Even she’d noticed how attractive they were. 

Étién wondered if she should call him, but his emotions suddenly turned to guilt and shame, so she realized he had realized what was happening. 

Étién hadn’t thought about what it would mean to be able to feel another’s emotions, but if this happened a lot it would be pretty awkward, especially with their growing relationship.

“...r...p… s...e...s… ...o...na ...il… ...e.”

Étién heard Ryan’s voice in her mind. The word sounded like it was in English and was too garbled for her to catch the words, but… 

Étién closed her eyes and directed her thoughts at Ryan, “Can you hear me? It is Étién.”

***

Ryan stopped everything he was doing. Had he just heard Étién’s voice in his head?

Anyone guess what Becky and Anton are working on? Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

15