Chapter 40
474 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looks like our MC is going to have white hair, gold eyes, and a fluffy tail. If she was 'petite' instead of an 'amazon' body type she'd kinda be like Koneko from Highschool DxD, which also happens to be my favorite character design even though I'm not a fan of the show.

Luna set down on the shore near the largest beach on the largest island of the archipelago of tropical islands that were near the Ullian headquarters after getting permission from said place.

An expeditionary force of Ullians had already set up camp on the island and were using the beach as a landing zone.

The islands looked relatively untouched both by the effects of the Dregasi attacks, and settlement from before thanks to their relatively small size.

Ryan noticed Pall watch Luna land as he stood near a large tent next to the tree line and waved at them.

Ryan opened Luna’s airlock just as they were setting down, and Becky ran out as soon as it opened, “A beach! It’s been so long!”

Aoi flitted out just behind her, “The beach! We are playing in the water?”

Mayu jogged out after Aoi, “This is so nostalgia!” She tossed a beach ball made out of nanotube cloth ahead of Aoi, “Let’s play lots!”

Ryan had never seen Mayu so excited and ran after the three, her body's enhancements easily outpacing the others, “Yeah!” She then tripped over herself and yelped as she fell face first and slid across the sand.

Evan chuckled as he walked down the ramp, “I suppose some play at the beach before business isn’t a terrible idea.”

Anton stopped at the top of the ramp and stared at a flock of birdlike creatures that looked like a fish mixed with a bat foraging near the Ullian camp’s garbage bins, “Finally some aliens. Too bad they’re so ugly.”

Sashae looked around the beach and spotted Pall, “I will go talk to Pall. Go have fun, Ryan.”

Charlotte looked nervous as she watched the waves and the fish bats, “It’s safe? ”

Ryan didn’t know a thing about the fish bats or what might be in the ocean, “I think the fish bat things are safe or the Ullians would have scared them off. The ocean should be fine if you don’t go too far out.”

Charlotte’s ears and tail perked up slightly, “Okay.”

Anton turned to Charlotte, “Ryan’ll send a drone after ya if ya need help.”

Charlotte shifted on her feet, and the way she watched Anton made Ryan think she was waiting for him to leave first.

Anton grabbed a plasma pistol and headed for the fish bats, “I wonder what they taste like.”

Charlotte followed Anton down the ramp, then headed for the others as they chased a ball down the beach.

Pall met Sashae on the way to the Ullian camp, “Sashae! Good to finally meet you in person!”

Sashae lowered her head in deference, “It’s good to meet you too.”

Pall gave Sashae a welcoming grin, “Come! I brought the parts for the hydroponics equipment you asked for.” He gestured to a stack of boxes covered by a tarp, “Are you sure this is all you need?”

Sashae nodded once, “Yes.”

Pall shrugged, “Alright, you have a way to make more is what I’m guessing.”

Sashae turned to the supplies, “Thank you.”

A repair drone appeared next to the stack of boxes and began ferrying them back to Luna.

Pall watched the drone with interest, “Such amazing technology. Is that a supply drone?”

Sashae shook her head, “Repair, but it has some space to put things and arms to hold them.”

Pall nodded, “I see. I see.” He checked a watch on his left arm, “I need to go. There is something I need to attend to. I should be there now, but I insisted on meeting our saviors in person.”

Sashae looked around, “No one else came?”

Pall shook his head, and a hint of sadness flashed across his face, “This is an important time for our people. They wanted to come, but now it isn't possible.” He turned to Anton as he shot a fish bat, “That one is Anton?” He walked over to Anton and raised a hand in greeting.

Anton watched as the flock of fish bats flew away, then went over and inspected his kill.

Pall stopped a short distance away from Anton, “I wouldn’t eat those. They are full of parasites and their meat is bitter.”

Anton turned to Pall, “Sorry bud, don’t know what yer sayin’.”

Sashae translated for them.

Anton kicked at the dead fish bat, “Ah, thanks for the warnin’.”

Pall smiled and turned to another stack of boxes inside the tent, “We prepared some of our best food. They’re in cooling boxes that should keep it fresh for a while.”

Anton grinned after hearing the translation, “It got any meat?”

Pall nodded, “Yes. We have several samples of meat grown from our factory.”

Anton looked slightly disappointed, “Lab grown meat? Did ya bring somethin’ to make that too?”

Pall nodded, “Yes, as well several cultures for different varieties, along with seeds from several of our best crops.”

Anton looked impressed, “Thanks man! I’ll get to lookin’ at it right away!”

Anton ran into the tent.

Pall chuckled and turned to Sashae, “An excitable one, that.”

Sashae turned to the others playing at the beach, “I will stay here with Anton. Ryan can help you next.”

Pall considered Sashae for a moment, “You can come back with me. I know it’s been a long while since you lived here, but you are one of us.”

Sashae shook her head, “Thank you, but I want to stay on Luna.”

Pall didn’t look surprised, “Alright, I should hurry and meet the others. I don’t have much more time.”

Sashae studied Pall for a moment, seemingly suspicious about something, then nodded her head once, “Alright.”

Sashae walked to the tent.

Ryan was proud of Sashae. It seemed she’d gotten over her anxiety and talked to Pall without trouble and she didn’t have to help her even translate.

It had also given her the opportunity to focus on playing on the beach and, Ryan hated to say it, her new body was amazing. She was so fast now, and she could take on all the others by herself in their impromptu game of beach volleyball. Well, if she had better control of her speed, that is. She still had trouble keeping her footing in the sand and stopping usually meant a face full of it.

Charlotte followed Ryan around, distressed for some reason at Ryan’s constant tripping and crashes, “Yan yan! Please be careful!”

Ryan looked up from the sand, “I’m fine.” She stood up and brushed the sand off of her swimsuit, “Really!”

Ryan looked at the others. She, Aoi, and Mayu wore one piece swimsuits. Becky wore a bikini. Evan wore simple blue swim trunks. Sashae, Anton, and Charlotte hadn’t worn swimsuits. 

Ryan still felt uncomfortable showing off her body, and had chosen a one piece with a frill swim skirt and also wore a jacket over it to cover her modest chest. She thought she would be even more embarrassed wearing something so girly, but a part of her had enjoyed picking out and designing their swimsuits. She also now found herself wanting to socialize with the others more, but was still reluctant.

Charlotte helped Ryan up, “I will help you practice.”

Ryan smiled appreciatively at Charlotte, “Thanks. Oh, and please just call me Ryan. I’m still not sure if I want to change my name yet. It still seems… wrong to accept what happened.”

Charlotte nodded in understanding, “Okay.”

Evan pointed towards Pall, “We have a guest.”

Pall was still a good bit away, but noticed the attention and jogged towards them, “Hello!”

Becky turned and waved to Pall, and used the little bit of Ullian Sashae had taught her, “Good afternoon!”

Pall glanced at Becky, obviously keeping his eyes on her face, “Hello, Becky. You are learning our language?”

Becky glanced at Ryan.

Ryan jogged a few steps forward, until she was closest to Pall, “Oh, she just knows a few greetings.”

Pall turned to Ryan, “Well, one always has to start somewhere.”

Ryan asked something she’d been thinking about for a while, “Why do you speak Sashae’s language? It’s a few hundred years old and all three of you on the council speak it.”

Pall looked puzzled, “Why wouldn’t we? We used to have hundreds of languages, but as a we world decided on one to speak as a whole to get around problems a language barrier has. Has your world not done the same?”

Ryan shook her head, “Well, the one we speak called English is kinda like that, but most people speak another language natively and learn English as a second.”

Pall seemed somewhat interested, but his demeanor turned more serious, “As much as I would love to learn more about your people and culture, I am in a hurry and want to meet your crew in person as a thanks for what you have done for Ullia.”

Ryan wondered why he was in such a hurry, “Can you tell us why you’re in such a hurry?”

Pall shook his head, “No, but I suspect you will find out in a few hours. Vof and Oln… well… you’ll see.”

Warning bells started sounding in Ryan’s head, “Alright… if you need help…”

Pall raised a hand to cut her off and shook his head, “I assure you everything is fine. We… just have something we’ve been waiting to do as soon as we had our freedom. I assure you, you will find it rather exciting.”

Ryan crossed her arms and pursed her lips, “Alright. I’ll keep an eye out.”

Pall clasped his hands together and looked over the rest of the crew, “Now, who should I talk to first?”

Ryan turned around to face the others, “Pall just wants to say ‘hi’ before he has to go.”

Everyone nodded in understanding.

Pall walked to Aoi, “This is Aoi?”

Aoi cocked her head to the side after hearing her name, “Aoi doesn’t know what you’re saying.”

Ryan whispered to Aoi, “He’s just wondering if you’re Aoi.”

Aoi crossed her arms and gave Pall a scathing look, “Of course Aoi is Aoi. Are you stupid?”

Mayu moved to Aoi and gently slapped her arm, “Manners!”

Aoi rubbed her arm and didn’t look apologetic, “Sorry Mr.”

Pall turned to Mayu, “Mayu?”

Mayu nodded and gave a deep bow, “Yes, I am Mayu. It is an honor to meet you.”

Ryan began translating.

Pall returned her bow, “A pleasure.” He turned to Becky, keeping his eyes up and away from her bikini, “Hello again, Ms. Becky.”

Becky noticed his eye movement and smiled, “Not a fan of bikinis?”

Pall shook his head, “My people highly value modesty.”

Becky sighed and shook her head, “Religious people and their modesty.”

Ryan didn’t translate that, and Pall didn’t seem to care as he turned to Evan, “Mr. Evan. A pleasure to meet you in person.”

Evan gave a polite nod, “The pleasure is mine.”

Pall finally turned to Charlotte, who cowered a little at the attention, “And you’re Charlotte. Pleased to meet you.”

Charlotte blushed and tried her best to make eye contact with Pall, her ears and tail showing her discomfort, “P… pleased to… to meet you!”

Pall chuckled and turned back to Ryan, “I wish I could stay longer and be a better host, but as I have said, I am in a hurry.” He gestured to the tents near the tree line, “As an apology, we have prepared a feast for you while you enjoy your time on the beach. One of the aides will come get you when it is ready.”

Ryan turned to the tents, her stomach rumbling at the thought of eating good food for once, “Thank you!”

Pall bowed his head towards the crew, then turned and jogged towards the tents.

Becky crossed her arms, a concerned look on her face as she watched Pall leave, “Something’s up.”

Evan nodded, “Indeed. One would think this would be a time when the council is most needed, but they split up at the first opportunity.”

Charlotte’s ears flattened against her head, “You don’t think they are going to fight? I could tell they didn’t like each other.”

Mayu didn’t look concerned, “Ryan can stop them.”

Ryan’s shoulders slumped as she let out a long sigh, “Always another problem.”

Becky shrugged, “Yeah. Why don’t you send a drone to spy on them and we’ll stay here and enjoy the beach?”

Evan raised an eyebrow, “I suppose it doesn’t matter if we are here or on Luna. Ryan can relax here while thwarting anything bad that happens.”

Charlotte looked between Becky, Evan, and Ryan, but just pushed her index fingers together as she started to tear up.

Mayu noticed and put an arm over Charlotte’s shoulder, “Ryan will stop anything bad, don’t worry.”

Charlotte nodded, “I know, but I don’t like them fighting after just being rescued.”

Mayu nodded her agreement, “Yes. People are fool.”

Becky sighed and looked over to where Anton was inspecting the crates of food, “Yep! Idiots everywhere…”

Ryan giggled, “We’re all idiots sometimes.” She turned to Anton, “Some more often than others.”

Charlotte scowled, her ears pulling backwards against her head the way cats do when they’re angry and her tail puffing up, “Stop bullying Anton!”

Becky grinned as she turned to face Charlotte, “Sorry, not sorry. He’s just easy to tease.”

Charlotte puffed her cheeks out, “No teasing!”

Becky raised her hands in defeat, “Okay… okay. No more teasing.”

Ryan turned to Charlotte, “If you don’t like it, why haven’t you said anything about the teasing until now?”

Charlotte’s ears flattened again, “I… I wanted to… but…”

Becky smiled gently, “You got the courage just now?”

Charlotte nodded, “Yes. It… it takes me a while to get used to new people.”

 Becky put an arm around Charlotte, “I’ll stop if it makes you feel better.”

Charlotte returned Becky’s smile and nodded.

Ryan felt like the banter was all in good fun, but it was usually Becky doing it, so if that’s what she wanted, that was fine.

Ryan noticed Pall stop just before leaving the beach and look at Luna, but he didn’t tarry long, and soon left eyesight.

Becky let go of Charlotte and jogged to the water, “Time for a swim!”

Charlotte shivered and turned towards Luna, “My sisters want to come play too.”

Ryan didn’t see why not, “Okay. I kinda want to see how superhumans… uh… super cat girls, play at the beach.”

Charlotte looked annoyed, “Okay. It’s going to get noisy.”

Ryan began to doubt his decision to invite them, “Yeah, but it’s not like we’re being quiet either.”

Charlotte turned to Becky, Aoi, and Mayu as they moved to play in the water, “Okay.”

Ryan looked at Charlotte and studied her face, “You don’t like your sisters?”

Charlotte shook her head, “No, I love my sisters, but they do lots of bad things and don’t listen to me.”

Ryan immediately thought about the Three Stooges and their past history of theft, “I bet they’re worse with Jaren gone.”

Charlotte sighed.

Ryan gave Charlotte a sympathetic look and patted her on the back, “I wish I could help, but I can’t go back.”

Charlotte shook her head, “Eclair and Galette say they will do something.”

Ryan saw a Gateway open in Luna’s airlock, “They’re here.”

All the cat girls but Galette and Eclair came through.

Marjolaine, Millefuille, and Madeleine immediately ran outside, Millefeulle making it to the water in seconds.

Viennesoire didn’t follow the others, and looked around Luna, her eyes glowing. Before long, she walked to the airlock ramp, where her eyes immediately locked at a spot just above Ryan’s head. Finally she sat on the starboard bench where she had the best view of the ocean and watched the others.

Ryan wondered what Viennesoire had seen, but she had always puzzled him, and thought it might not be anything.

Millefuelle ran to Ryan and jogged in place after stopping next to her in a spray of sand, “Wanna race? You’re fast, right?”

Ryan shelved the thoughts of Viennesoire as she turned to Millefuelle, “Uh, I just started practicing, but it sounds fun.”

Millefuelle smiled and nodded enthusiastically, “Okay. I’ll teach you how to run fast.” She leaned in closer, “Then later play pranks on everyone.”

Ryan felt like having some mindless fun, “Sure. Just don’t take it too far.”

Millefuelle feigned a look of innocence, “Promise!”

Charlotte’s face showed both worry and exasperation as she seemed to communicate something to Millefuelle.

Millefuelle turned to her and blew a raspberry, before turning back to Ryan, “Ready… set… go!”

Ryan set off just as Millefuelle finished saying ‘set.’ 

Ryan actually managed to keep up with Millefuelle until she noticed a ship fly overhead and tripped on herself.

Millefuelle stopped and ran back to Ryan, laughing, “You’re pretty good for a beginner! Let’s do a lap around the island, then we can have some fun!”

Ryan pushed herself up and looked at Millefuelle, “Sure! I’m already getting used to running this fast.”

Millefuelle rubbed her chin as she leaned over to help Ryan up, “Too bad you can’t come back with us. You could run even faster if you killed some more critters.”

Ryan shrugged, “Eh, I’m more than happy with my drones.”

Millefuelle shrugged, “Drones aren’t as fun as running yourself? Right?”

Ryan had to admit that running at superhuman speeds did feel exhilarating, “Yeah. It might be fun to see how fast I could get, but I have to stay with Luna, so…”

Millefuelle shrugged, “Too bad. Maybe later? After you find Earth?”

Ryan thought that was a great idea, “Yeah. I won’t need to stay on Luna all the time after we go back to Earth. It might be fun to go hunting together.”

Millefuelle gave Ryan a thumbs up, “Awesome! Maybe I can bring some critters here? Oh! I know what I’m bringing!”

Ryan turned towards the tents, “Uh… Here isn’t the best place.”

Millefuelle laughed maniacally and grinned, “I know the perfect critters to bring.”

Ryan was very tempted to let her bring them, just to see what she had in mind, “Alright, but I want to see what it is first.”

Millefuelle gave Ryan another thumbs up, “Awesome!” She turned back towards the way they had been running before Ryan tripped, “Ready?”

As Ryan ran around the island, Viennesoire’s eyes locked onto something unseen by the others and watched it approach her. Once it reached her she held out her hand, “Étién?” 

Beach chapter with no fan service. 

This is probably the last poll and will cover how the MC dies, although I could do a follow up one to narrow their death down even more depending on choice. 

How does our MC die?
  • Peacefully in their sleep. Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A terminal illness Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Truck-Kun Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Murdered Votes: 4 25.0%
  • An accident Votes: 2 12.5%
Total voters: 16 · This poll was closed on Nov 29, 2021 06:31 AM.
11