Insert tragic backstory
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Come next morning, introductions were made and a roster was prepared.

There were few who volunteer to go on a suicide mission. Still the roster was sizeable, considerably larger than his expectations. Seven people had volunteered. Including Rana Kevalya, the captain of the first company and five of his men. The last one was a pleasant surprise. The janitor at the local merchants quarter had heard the news and volunteered out of a misplaced sense of patriotism. Of course, his application was handily rejected.

That left a party of eight.

'It's fine I suppose.' He thought. 'Let's see, my bags are packed, letters are ready. Hmm.... what am I forgetting?.... oh right.'

Advik ran to the supply cellar and called his assistant over.

"Ravi, I'm sure you've heard that I'm going on a expedition. While I'm gone, you'll have to manage the warehouse."

"Yes sir! I'll do my best. " he replied. 

"Sure, sure. Just don't burn anything down. There's not much to do anyway. Take care." He gave Ravi a hug.

Walking out of the warehouse, he noticed the commander standing near the gate. He had come bid them farewell. 

"May Lord Pashupati grace you with his protection. Take care. And Godspeed." He said, handing me the letter of recommendation.

"Sir Yes Sir!" Responded captain Kevalya.

'Not another overenthusiastic Honour and Duty type. Ugh.' 

They left without much pomp and made their way onto the spice road, named after the titular spice trade.

Yeah, people weren't terribly clever with their names around here. And that suited Advik just fine.

Darganj was a mere 3 yojana away from the wall. As such, they reached it within a day and a half of travel.

Once there, they assumed their new identities, though the only one whose name had to be changed was Jagjit. Being the youngest Rana of this generation, his fame had spread across the entire nation and deflowering the Chhatrapati's niece didn't do his reputation any favours either.

He was Jarasandha now. How ironic.

With their work done, Jagjit led the others out to have one last drink before the mission began in earnest. 

As the Foreign Affairs Secretary prepared to turn in for the day, he heard a knock on his door.

"Come in." He said.

Advik entered the room and closed the door behind him.

"Everything okay?" Asked the Secretary.

"Yes. I just have some doubts to clear before we leave, if you don't mind?" 

"Sure." 

"I presume you have some information on the Badakheda clan."

"So he told you about that huh?" 

"Yes. But I prefer to do some research on my own too."

__________________

"Wake up. Its time to leave." Said Advik. 

"Five more minutes Ammi." Jagjit muttered.

Then.. splash!

"Huaah! ... What are you.... bwaauh!" Jagjit vomited.

"Why did you drink so much?" Asked Advik. 

"No reason."

"Anyways. Get ready. Captain Kevalya is already waiting outside." 

"Give me a minute. Ugh.. my head!"

Advik shook his head. 

An hour later they were back on the road. This time to the Kanchen pass.

This time though it was Advik who was feeling sleepy. He had spent the entire night reading correspondence and spy mail.

His eyes drooped, as he clung desperately to the reins of his horse.

Captain Kevalya was the one shaking his head now.

"Why are you sleepy? You didn't even go drinking last night. You should come hang out with us more, seeing as how we'll be spending a lot of time traveling together." He said. 

"Sure thing buddy.." Advik replied.

"So.." the good captain asked, " why did you choose to be a soldier?"

"I didn't." A curt reply.

"Did someone else force you into this? Family perhaps?" 

"Haah..." Advik sighed. Some people just don't know how to take the hint. It really ticked him off.

"Yes and no. Firstly, I'm a civil servant not a soldier. I passed a very tough examination to become one and I'd appreciate if you referred to me as such." He continued, " Secondly, well forced is a bit harsh, but yes. I wanted freedom and this job offered me that. And before you say this, no. I am not from a rich family. My family runs a godown in Ulhasnagar. We are smack dab in the middle of the middle class. I just wanted something different is all."

"So you went from managing your family's godown to managing one for the government. Big difference." He remarked.

"Well if you say it like that anything will sound stupid." Advik complained, " And there is a difference. I don't have to rely on the generosity of my 'family' to survive, slaving away like a pack mule, demeaned and insulted, with an ungrateful whore of a wife and annoying brats, dragging me down by my ankles, seeing my hopes and dreams crushed under the everlasting dredges of life."

"Oh...uh..that's some heavy stuff there. Your father I presume?" Asked Kevalya 

" ... yes. He was an innocent little farmboy with dreams of becoming a blacksmith someday. Then he married into my mother's family as a ghar-jamai and the next twenty years of his life became a living hell. He had to see my mother cheat on him with five different men and even one woman. I know for a fact that two of my brothers are not my father's. This went on until last fall. "

"Did they finally realize their mistakes and apologize?" 

"No, he killed himself. Hung himself off the well. He didn't even struggle. He just leaned into it. It's pathetic." Advik said, "And you know what the worst part is?"

"What?" 

"She spun that sob story to rein another innocent guy in. I think the only reason she didn't abuse me and my siblings was because she was too busy philandering. If she had the time, I have no doubt she would have." Advik added, " You see, not all of us can be womanizing second sons of rich families.."

"Hey!" Jagjit protested.

" ... or the esteemed spawn of a military clan. Some of us have to earn our way in life with sheer hard work and grit. And a government desk job? That's the wet dream of every middle class boy in this nation. Millions attempt the civil service examination every year and then, when the rich and powerful have taken all the top jobs for their children, the rest of us have to squabble for their table scraps. I didn't want to run a government godown, it was all that was left for people like me. And I made the best of a fucked opportunity. Something I doubt that you, Mr. Honor-and-glory would understand. 

For me and many like me this job is the good life. Little to no work, decent pay, a posting in an picturesque outskirts town with good food, no threat of war. All that's missing is a cute little pet, and this would've been a perfect life. 

Of course, then this happened, otherwise....." Advik trailed off

An awkward silence stank the air for a while after that.

As they camped for the night, Kevalya went up to Advik.

"I just wanted to say, I'm sorry." He added. "I'm not from a military family. My father was a farmer near the border. Ten years ago we couldn't push them back and one got over the wall. It butchered my village. After the beast was done, there were no bodies left, just ash and dust. I joined the military to make sure no child has to ever suffer like I did. I understand. But not all women are like that you know?"

"It takes only one to ruin your life." Advik replied , "and I'm sorry too." As he shut his tent flap, leaving the captain to his own thoughts.

The next day, as they hit the road, Jagjit rode up to Advik and asked.

"Do you hate me for being born rich?"

"Of course...Not" Advik replied, "What's to say I wasn't just lying to get Kevalya to shut up and let me rest?" He said with a smile.

"Wait... was this all an elaborate lie? Is this a joke to you?" Kevalya inquired.

His only answer was a mischievous smirk. 

The rest of the men just burst out laughing. 

"You asshole." smiled Kevalya. 

1