Laziness overdrive
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ah! the Kanchen fortress. Built during the great war to reduce transportation times for supplies, it was a marvel of architecture. Hung across two cliff faces, it was unassailable by conventional means. The only way in or out was an elevator that could be raised in times of crisis. The murder holes in it floor allowed for the defenders to pepper the invaders with crossbows and boiling oil. Its walls were carved with images of their victory in the war and the defeat of the shadesmitten. Reading about it and seeing it yourself are two wholly different experiences. Advik stared up at it in amazement like a child seeing fireworks for the first time.

 As they passed the fortress, a thought struck Kevalya. 

"Seeing as how we're going into enemy territory, do you have any combat training? I remember the Senapati mention that you were a non combatant during the meeting. Is that true?"

"Yes. Never even held a sword. These hands are for petting dogs and pushing pencils." Gestured Advik.

"Isn't combat training mandatory in the gurukul?"

"It is. I just made excuses to skip it."

"For the whole ten years?"

"No. But for a fair bit of that time. Enough time that I would know the Underworld Serpent Breath but not enough that I'd have to participate in the physical exercise."

"Let me guess - you wanted a longer lifespan?" Commented Kevalya.

"Doesn't everyone? I mean who wants to die at 100? I personally want to live to a ripe old age of 210 at least."

"Then you have to diligently practice the art. I haven't seen you move an inch more than you needed to. At this rate you won't even make it past 80."

"I'll have you know, I do practice it. Diligently. I'm doing it right now, as a matter of fact." Replied Advik.

"Catshit!" Cried Kevalya.

"No really. I am always using the Naga breath. Check it yourself, see?" Said Advik.

Kevalya noted Advik's breathing and realised he wasn't lying.

"But how?" 

"How what?"

"How are you not feeling the itch to move? Do something? Doesn't it fill you with energy? You should be twitching your muscles, shaking in your saddle. This isn't possible!"

"It clearly is. And yes it did, when I was 8, but I didn't feel like doing anything so I learned to ignore it." Advik replied casually, ignoring the horrifying implications of his statement.

One of soldiers audibly gasped.

"If you've been doing it since you were 8, then doesn't that mean..?"

"Yeah, how long have you been doing it?" Added another.

"You know that story about how king Panahadun's every breath held great power?"  Asked Advik.

"Yeah, but what's that got to do with... no no no...that's catshit!"

"Yup. I spent nearly three months after that using the Naga breath continuously to copy that. By the end of it all, i was hospitalized. When I got out, I realized I had forgotten how to breath normally."

"You're insane! What if you'd died or developed a respiratory disease?" Said the soldier.

"That does beg the question though - how are you not a Rana yet?" Asked Jagjit.

Advik just shrugged his shoulders.

"Because he hasn't exercised in years. You need to do both. Like the scriptures say - will without action is useless and action without will is a fool's errand." Kevalya answered for him, "but no more. Starting tomorrow you'll be exercising with me daily. I can't let that talent go to waste."

"Oh captain, if you desired me so, you could have just asked" Advik teased.

"You! It's all sophistry with you, isn't it?" 

"Relax. You're too uptight. Since you like scripture so much, I'm sure you know of this quote - the proud oak is felled by the storm, the flexible reed persists. It's okay to be the reed sometimes, captain."

"You'll still be exercising with me daily, or else I'll pester you till you agree. And look its better for you too. At least you'll be able to run away from enemies and escape."

"Sure, sure. Why not!" Advik agreed begrudgingly. 

1