Chapter 1.0
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Where am I? I am in an old tomb hiding from the elements with my bat like wings wrapped around me for warmth. This new age of technology has caused me nothing but trouble. I had to fake my death because otherwise I simply have lived too long. It would draw too much attention. All this record keeping by humanity has really changed it all. Before I could just pretend to be my own daughter and daughter of that identity and go through the decades and centuries but now everyone has a paper trail and while that might work for a short time I couldn’t even pretend to be a human any more.

I feel weak, I must feed soon. My light headedness showing the need is getting urgent, if I don’t feed within a day or so I will die. I want to sleep till after the sun sets but I am soaked and shivering. I doubt I will get any rest but at least I am alive and have escaped. At least there are no security cameras here, no funerals, not even a car. This cemetery hasn’t had new additions for centuries. It hasn’t been reclaimed yet but there was talk of it. My friends and family are buried here and I made myself known trying to protect this place from being used again but that just made them aware of me. An unknown person trying to defend a grave yard from nearly seven hundred years ago, most people here died to the black death or a generation after. I could recall all their names from memory. I was 23 when my mother was buried here and it was almost 20 years later when my father was laid to rest, I hadn’t aged a day. I will have to leave this place most likely, if I stay I will most likely be caught.

Do I really need to leave? This is my home, these people were my family. I should protect them. I mean how could I abandon them after all theses years, it is why I never moved away, never explored the world. They are my people, even after death they are a part of me. Could I manage to defend them?

My mind races all over the place as I consider my options but never settling, conflicted and fearful of what humanity has become. They use to consider me a monster, hypocrites, they are the true monsters. Anything unknown is to be adapted or destroyed. If it can be exploited it will be till it is no longer usable and then thrown away. I already hate what they have done to the air, foulness lingers in every breath outside of the forests and a few other places and even then I can smell some of the pollution in such places. You would think I would get use to it over the years but it never gets easier. My senses are sharp and the sun can hurt my eyes. The bright lights on the streets are annoying but I can at least shelter my eyes from them a little.

I try and keep warm but with my lower blood levels it isn’t working very well, I must feed tonight, as soon as people are going to sleep I must drink my fill and hide for as long as possible. I at least know the area well, there are a few paths covered in darkness that people can easily be tricked to walk down, the plan is already forming in my head. Survive tonight, try and keep hidden and recover my strength. I can do this.

With a swift motion I use my claws to cut my red hair short, it had gotten long from easy living but now I am going to be hunting and I can’t have it getting in the way. I leave it in the tomb carefully placed to be hidden from sight yet not too disrespectful to the owner. He was an old lord who wasn’t the kindest person and few cared about his passing when death walked the lands and the plague hit but he was big enough to get a tomb and for that I am grateful.

After a few hours pass I can see the sun setting through the slight opening. It is almost time to leave. I am by no means a fast flier and I am out of practice so I will need to ready myself. At least this place is a bit of distance away from the town. No eyes watch here any more. When the light finally fades I grab my jacket, push open the tomb’s door enough to step outside and stretch. My wings still have a lot of strength in them, I am so use to hiding them under my clothes I was a little worried. They often make me seem like I have a large ribcage under my clothes and while it is highly uncomfortable it is needed in such a hostile world. At least I was wearing a top that left my upper back uncovered so I only covered my wings with a jacket. Not the safest move but each extra layer is another layer of discomfort.

After enough stretching and flexing of my wings I beat them in a powerful motion and lift myself off the ground. I rise to stand on the tomb and relax them. I can do this. I must do this. I wrap my jacket around my waist to not have to carry it leaving my hands free to help with my balance and finally set off towards the lights. You drove me from my home humanity but I won’t be driven away forever and I am thirsty.

Tonight shall be bloody …

0