Chapter 2.0
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up against the tomb door, not the most comfortable spot but I have had worse. It is important to make sure you wake up if someone tries to enter, can’t be taken by surprise when your wings are exposed. After pulling the door open slightly the sun blinds me, midday, the worst time. While the sun isn’t harmful in the sense it won’t kill me it completely overpowers my sense of vision and I do wonder if it drains my vitality a bit since heavy sun exposure does seem to make me feel like I need to feed more. I think back over last night and curse at myself. I should have checked the man’s wallet I am completely broke. Too late to go back now. I wrap my wings around me as if to hug myself, telling myself it will be alright and that I can get through this. I have survived this long and after the black death I honestly don’t think I have ever faced something so dangerous. No that is wrong, one time I was almost killed by a vampire hunter. It is why I am alone, the one who turned me was killed helping me to escape. I might be a little stronger than humans and immortal but I can still die. I heal a little faster but it drains my energy reserves.

I have been thinking about how it all works. I feel that my blood is actively consumed by my abilities and as fuel. The smell of people is if their blood is compatible with mine. Foul smell isn’t possible, neutral-ish smell I can survive without issue but the sweetest smell must be the same blood type as mine. I think I was B something and I guess it is semi common here at least. That sweetness is just amazing, I know I shouldn’t just go for people with it but it is like someone offering you some junk to eat that will keep alive, you will eat it but if they offer you a choice of that and something you actively love then it is a no contest.

Speaking of food, I haven’t actively eaten since I was turned. Food just doesn’t agree with me any more. The blood just seems to seep through my stomach into my veins and arteries. I need to drink normally every two or three days and often that is draining someone near empty. It use to be no big deal to kill someone and hide their body, people died all the time. Now the police get heavily involved and it can be very hard to hide a feed. I often have to make it look like an accident with rocks, branches or even thorns to have looked like they pierced the skin in an odd pattern of four. Heck I often have to do more damage with such objects to make it look bad to completely hide it. It can sometimes explain them being low on blood but other times they might not even notice. I rarely do drink just a little but when you have so high blood demands, little and often simply doesn’t work. I try not to kill but it has happened a lot over the years. It can be hard to stop but I am not going to die. If it is me or them to survive then I pick me.

I am still annoyed at the fact the man I tried to feed on started to turn, it is around one in a 150 thousand to 200 thousand to turn someone each bite. At two bites a feed that is around 75 to 100 thousand feeds required to see someone turn. Luckily while the blood is the first thing effected they haven’t changed much until a few weeks pass and most of the physical signs can take even longer like fangs, claws and wings. Wings being the last part to fully develop. It can be almost three months before someone is considered a full vampire but that bitterness of blood already means the process is starting and not to drink any more unless I want to vomit violently and often purge a lot of the blood I got from them.

I have no time to look after and train a new vampire. The one who turned me told me, if you are not sure if you can look after a new vampire just kill them outright. It isn’t worth the risk and personal survival must come first. She told me that while I was the first she trained on how to survive I was the second that had become a vampire. The life of a would be vampire hangs by a thread and knocking someone out is the easiest way to feed on someone. No screams happen to someone dead from the world. However times have changed. People actually care enough about others to track down killers. Luckily I don’t seem to leave any real evidence biologically and recently turned vampires are physically no different just how their blood tastes. Humans haven’t figured out any way to discover vampires but a corpse rotting slightly maximises the chances that nothing can be discovered if there is something that could give us away.

I feel vampires leave no signs but two bite marks doesn’t help even if it is just fangs piercing the skin and the second time the fangs pierces again because they have no where else they can go. I have tried doing the second bite without the fangs piercing but it gets messy and it is much harder to drink for little gain.

I mull over my thoughts for a few hours thinking what to do. The sun is still bright but it is a bit cloudy, likely rain. I might be able to push to leave sooner. I feel with that recent kill I am likely to have to move on. Then again if I completely vanish would they assume that unknown person with no records is guilty? If I flee would I basically be saying I did it?

I don’t really know what is best any more. I miss the old days when people dying young was simply a fact of life. I am not really attached to anyone these days so it isn’t like I value others. I have outlived so many people and it isn’t like I can even try to turn people. There is likely a way that increases the chances but honestly I am not sure I want the responsibility of training a vampire to survive and follow me for months if not years. Mostly the years have brought problematic changes, heck with security cameras and photos it seems hiding is much harder. I guess the main benefit I have seen was women’s rights but even then it still seems negative stereotypes are problematic and what does it matter if women have more rights if I am going to have to live in the shadows completely now…

I almost punch the wall thinking back at not checking his wallet for money. Just a small amount could have gotten me access to a shower, maybe clean clothes or a quick hair cut to help me blend in better. I only have the clothes on my back and they won’t last forever. More so with the roughness of how I am living and the fact they have already become filthy and often soaked. I was just so unsettled after having to kill someone after being driven to feed so badly without even getting my fill. Very few people don’t have a family so his disappearance will become a thing within days. It might have already been discovered. Wait, there is phone tracking now. Dam it, they might have already found the body if he had a phone on him. I am so careless with all this new technology, it has been advancing so fast I can’t keep up any more.

I wait a little longer for the sun to set, it seems it wasn’t going to be cloudy enough to go out early without really staining my eyes. I kind of have a zoom function on my eyes and look towards where I buried the bodies, flashing lights. Yeah he has been found. Worst case it seems to be found so soon. I better go the other direction a bit and maybe find a place I can clean up. No money is going to be a problem. I don’t think there are many rivers around here that I can use. At least with the moon being nearly full my eyes can see as well as when it was day when I was human. Vampires are creatures of the night for many reasons, I don’t really miss the day most of the time but I remember every so often I do need to expose myself to it or I will get depressed. It is hard to live completely without the sun.

I leave the tomb and just walk, I pick a random direction away from the flashing lights and just put one foot in front of the other, my wings folded away and covered leaving some discomfort but with that body found I can’t risk being seen with wings. At worst I would have to use my wings to rip through my jacket and fly. Best case I can get away like that, worse case? Well there is no cover in the sky and I would be totally exposed to any projectiles.

0