02 – Talking with father
409 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Firstly I would like to thank you all for the kind words and attention I've been receiving, it was way above my expectations and you have no idea how much it means to me.

I would like to give a special thanks to reader Darkwood, who suggested making the chapters longer from now on! This chapter was already written before I got that tip so the next chapter will be longer~

After learning that I desperately needed to form a mana core thanks to my [Awoken] trait I decided to enlist some help. After confirming with Eli that father's study was still where it used to be I carefully made my way over there. I may not be able to see the hallways but over the years of living here I've memorised them, as well as the obstacles in them, thanks to that I made it to father's study in a relatively quick manner.

I softly knocked on the door before speaking up with my still raspy voice.

"Father, it's me, Mari, I have something important to inform you of, could you spare some time?"

I was admittedly a little nervous, I haven't talked a lot with father over my life.  I was asleep most of the time, and the times I was awake he was usually too busy to talk, so I was afraid he might not have the time to talk with me.

"I have a bit of time now, come in, be careful to not trip on your way in"

Thankfully, contrary to my expectations it seems like he had time now, I carefully walked into the room and sat down on the chair. Though now that I was here I wasn't really sure how to start the conversation.

"Alright Mari, what did you want to talk about? Judging by your voice it seemed rather important"

Luckily I didn't have to this time, it seemed father picked up on my nervousness.

"Well actually, before that I was hoping you could tell me what happened since I was gone. Judging from how much taller my body is I've been sleeping for quite some time haven't I?"

I could hear father let out a deep sigh, it seemed it wasn't going to be any good news.

"Yes, of course. Since the last time you've woken up you have been sleeping for 2 years, 3 months and 27 days, we were getting worried you might not wake up again" 

"Wait wait wait, you're telling me I've been asleep for 2 whole years???"

I blurted out in shock, I mean 2 entire years? Normally it's between 4 to 8 months, not years!!!

Probably seeing the shock on my face, my father called out to me.

"Calm down Mari, we've been hiring some of the best doctors around to find out why you slept so much longer this time, I'm confident they'll find the cause in no time"

Liar, of course they won't. Does he really think I'm so dumb, if they haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with me over the entire 14, well rather 16 now, years I've been alive why would they now? Still, I played along hoping he'd stopped with that pity filled voice.

"Yes father, that's a relief to hear"

Using my [Calm mind] skill I pushed down the rush of panic and pretended to be fine. Unfortunately I doubt they'd ever figure out what causes my sleeping. 

While thinking this a thought drifted up in my mind, maybe it had something to do with my new trait? It did say something had stimulated the mana in my body, perhaps that was the cause for the change in the amount of time I was asleep? Speaking of my new trait I still need to tell father about it.

"Um, father, I'm going to need a favour, a big one. And if at all possible I want you to not ask why, it's rather difficult to explain.

I decided to not tell my father about the trait, they pitied me enough already and I don't think I could stand it if they started pitying me even more. But I needed to form a mana core, and frankly I have no idea how, so I needed to ask someone who's knowledgeable about the topic, luckily father is a magician so he may be able to help me.

"If it's something within my power I'll make sure it happens, what do you need Mari?"

Okay good, he agreed. He sounds a little suspicious but no matter, at least he agreed.

"Okay, so, um, I kind of need to form a mana core, the faster the better, and father is the only magician I know, could you maybe help me form one?"

A moment of silence followed, but those few seconds felt like an eternity to me, eventually though, he answered.

"I'm sorry Mari, but that's impossible, you know I don't have the time to spare on a time consuming matter like that."

I could hear my father getting up, the heavy thuds of his footsteps echoing across the room. 

"Father please!"

I hurriedly called out to him in my still raspy voice, and the sound of his footsteps stopped. He was probably shocked I called out to him like that, normally I was rather timid towards him. But this is literally a matter of life and death for me, I can't let this chance slip.

"...please father, I really need this"

He seemed to ponder for a moment, before speaking up once again

"Fine, if it's that important to you I'll hire a tutor for you, will that be alright?"

I pressed down the urge to sigh in relief, and nodded lightly in his direction.

"Yes, thank you father, really."

I gave him my heartfelt thanks and we said our goodbyes for now.

 

After that conversation I slowly made my way towards my room again, I needed some alone time to process everything that happened so far. Unfortunately that wasn't meant to be as a bumped into something and fell to the floor

"Elder sister Mari, are you alright?!?"

A familiar panicked voice sounded out, it seemed I didn't bump into 'something' but rather 'someone'. This someone unfortunately being my younger brother Remil, my least favourite siblings. It isn't if he's not kind or anything, rather the opposite, he's too kind. But the amount he pities me just feels wrong, I may be sickly and blind but I'm not the helpless doll he treats me as! 

"Yes I'm fine, it's nothing to worry about, please just watch where you're going next time alright?"

Nonetheless I still remained nice to him, relatively at least.

"Great! Here, hold my hand, I'll bring you to your room!" 

And there it is, the pity. I felt an urge to sigh but suppressed it, it's not like he has bad intentions after all, I just can't stand his behaviour. 

"I can walk there myself just fine as long as people watch where they're going, don't you have practice to go to or something?"

I suggested he go to his lessons in the hope of getting some alone time to think.

"Oh right, I have a fencing lesson right now, I'll see you later elder sister!"

I heard him dashing across the hall and I finally was by myself again, I stood up and walked to my room, without incidents this time around.

 

After clearing my mind for a bit I decided to fix myself up a bit, I called in one of my maids to cut my hair, since it had gotten considerably longer that I would like. After that I had dinner for the first time in years and went to bed once again.

As I was thinking of what kind of teacher I might have I slowly drifted asleep, excited and nervous for the times to come.

Thank you for reading the second chapter of the great sightless magician! I hope you enjoyed today's chapter, if you have any opinions or advice please tell me in the comments below!

8