Chapter 10
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I woke the next day it was around midday. The sun shining high in the sky. I still felt like I could sleep longer but forced myself up. I had a quick bath getting the hang of it finally and headed downstairs. Only Matt and Sarah were their.

“Where is everyone,” I asked.

“Nelson is still busy doing whatever it was. Emily likely came in around the usual time saw no one and assumed the day off. Sammie is likely being Sammie and Lance is still sleeping.” Sarah replied.

“After yesterday I think we all needed to sleep late,” commented Matt. I casually ordered some food going more for a sandwich. As I finished I stretched a little and considered what to be done.

“The day is yours,” commented Sarah to let me know the group plans. I considered that for a moment before finally commenting.

“I want to get stronger,” I simply stated judging from Sarah's look she saw something and simply thought for a moment.

“The best way to train is by doing, Sammie is skilled due to how much she fights.” Sarah replied. “As for strength, speed and endurance those build up over repetition of tasks, you will be a bit slow to start with but gradually get better till it hits a semi limit at which point it slows to a crawl. Further than that is more minor differences and actual skill with weapons and quality of them plays a part.”

“So if I wanted to get better I need to fight as much as I can?” I asked.

“Pretty much, if you want we can find some training areas from an information broker or just join Sammie in an area for duelling,” she replied.

“I will be off then,” I stated getting up to leave.

“I will come with you,” Sarah stated leaving me no real choice. I wanted to try and do it alone since I felt weak compared to the others but I couldn't really stop her. Matt seemed to want to come also but judging from his expression he would wait for Lance. Being a mentor had its duties.

We arrived at the bloodbath, it was nearer the outskirts were wagering was smaller and the fights generally more relaxed. At first I had issues even finding a fight, I didn't really want to wager but it seemed even the most basic fights had small bets on them. Sarah suggested to make wager five or ten to get others interested and when I finally managed to get it across that I was a contestant people started to take interest.

The first fight was against someone similar, they used a two handed axe that was menacing looking but not as heavy as it seemed. The fight was fairly even since we were both clearly novices and it flowed with no real victor. It lasted awhile as we mostly just exchanged blows but we hit the time limit and it was declared a draw.

“I know you likely wanted a win to boost your confidence but fighting to a draw is still respectable,” commented Sarah handing me a water skin which I took a long drink from.

My next fight was against someone dual wielding, they used a sword and dagger. It was over fairly quickly as their assault overwhelmed me. I was still feeling worthless but called out for more fights.

The next fight was against a shield user, their mace was problematic since as they blocked with the shield the mace would almost instantly follow up. I was beaten but put up a good fight. I was starting to feel even worse about myself. I had fought three times and still not managed a win. Maybe I wasn't cut out for this. As if noticing my mood Sarah pitched in.

“No one starts at the top. We have to start at the bottom, in duels even Sammie started with almost a complete loss streak. It is only the first few, you should get a win before the day is up.” she told me.

With that I tried again, I lost and again after I lost. I started to pull back on my wager from ten to five. Interest was lesser but I still managed to get fights. It was almost constant losses for the first few hours with some fights going to a draw due to time out. I was getting fed up. My ego was in pieces and the funds I had brought with me almost run empty.

“Hey Jess hows the fighting,” Called Matt finally arriving with Lance nearby. Judging from how I looked he could see I was down, he tried to cheer me up but it didn't seem to work.

“Might I have a fight then?” Asked Lance. I almost flat out rejected but in the end I accept. A friendly match between team mates would hopefully be better than betting against others.

We took our positions opposite and I considered how I would go about this. We had a fair bit of spacing and his weapon was further reaching. I would need to close the gap. When it started I tried to rush in but he positioned his weapon so if I approached I would get impaled. I tried to parry it aside but he stood firm unwilling to let me close the gap. He would often add a swing to keep the distance forcing me to retreat. I was starting to get use to the combat style however. It was extremely strong at range, a middle ground between melee and actual ranged but that should leave it open if I could get near enough. He made a swing keeping the distance and I blocked it while having my weapon follow his down the length keeping it off me but allowing me to close the distance. He acted fast however and used the shorter reach of the back end to gab me in the stomach. I flinched a little but struck down on him. It was a glancing blow but it made me feel confident that I could win this. However Lance was still in control of the fight as he jumped back a little creating more space. I tried to block to get near again but he shifted his weapon lower so I had to jump over it. However I stumbled and had to get up. The time it took the gap had been recreated again. I was panting quite hard now but judging from his movements so was he. I decided to put it all on the next move. When I charged in he swung at me again. I blocked and he shifted it lower. I jumped and he kept the momentum going bringing it around again. I was near but not near enough so I slide under it a little. I stumbled but made an attempt for a lunge. We both knew that another attempt to carry the spin around would take too long and in that moment I saw victory at hand. However he dropped his weapon and dodged. I had let my confidence get the better of me and notice him pull out a short sword. It was maybe slightly longer than what I could count a dagger but it was unexpected. I studied carefully but he didn't let me and attacked. His movements swift and not letting me use my own attacks. I was completely stuck on the defence. As if to try something crazy I swung my sword upwards. It wasn't really a dangerous move and he had little problems avoiding it but I let go of the hilt and punched connecting with his shoulder. He staggered and dropped the dagger. As we readied for a hand to hand fight the timer hit zero.

“A good fight,” said Lance offering a hand. I shook it.

“At hand to hand I likely would have lost,” I admitted.

“Maybe but judging from your instincts I think you are strong.” he replied. We picked up our weapons and put them away. It had been a tiring fight and the crowd around us was cheering. It seemed that it had been good to watch.

“The road to strength is a long one,” someone said. I turned around to see Sammie, “however with fights like that I think you will manage it fine.”

“When did you get here,” I asked.

“Few fights ago but that last one drew quite a crowd.” she commented looking around, some had thrown coins into the area. We split them between us but then I saw Sammie smirk and knew there was going to be trouble.

“Hey, Lance you handled yourself pretty well how about a duel with me,” Challenged Sammie. He agreed and I instantly felt sorry for him, I wanted to warn him but this wasn't my fight. Heck it wasn't even his fight. The whole fight lasted a few seconds. He swung, she grabbed the weapon pulling him in then punched him in a few vital spots completely dominating it. His express was awful. I didn't have the words but Matt lent him a hand to help him up.

“Don't worry about that last one, I don't think anyone but Emily from our group could even match Sammie to a tie let alone win,” Matt commended patting Lance's shoulder. That got me thinking.

“Speaking of Emily, I remember yesterday she did a move I didn't understand, she pushed her palm out to the bandit leader and while it didn't seem to have any force behind it, it created a shock-wave and shattered his armour. What was that?” I asked.

“Sounds like magic, not much else could create a powerful force with no real strength behind it,” replied Sammie.

“Did she place her hand on the armour?” queried Sarah. I thought back a moment.

“She touched it slightly,” I remembered.

“Must have been, I had know she was learning it but didn't think she would actually use it in combat. Likely cost here a lot to even do that one spell.” Sarah commented thinking carefully.

“She likely spent more money than she gained on that fight then,” explained Sammie, “then again the pouch she took was oddly small for gold so maybe she get some gems or dust from it. Did you see if she used gems or dust anyway?” I shook my head, in the fight I had hardly had time to look around I only remembered the action because it seemed odd. Sarah's face lit up a little.

“It was likely bound dust bags that you saw her buy,” Sarah said after a pause, “you really are awful at describing things but the price is likely about that, normally more...”

We had paused for a moment till the sound of a nearby fight snapped us back to reality.

“Let head back anyway, the sun will set soon,” commented Sarah and we headed back to the inn we called home.

We got some drink soon after entering and were comparing stories of old fights. It turned out Lance had played a few other games mostly with the same weapon, he first tried lances due to his name but found the halberd more to his liking. The worlds he described were similar in ways but he said they were much more causal and compared them to players combining forces to beat tough enemies rather than faction warfare that was in this one. Matt told stories of a dinosaur game he played, it sounded odd since you played as a dinosaur trying to survive. It was interesting but seemed hard. Sarah mostly talked about tales in this game she had had with Nelson when the group was just starting out. I tried to pitch in but honestly I had nothing to add. In the end I simply talked a bit about my past and family. When I finally finished a tale of a holiday with my sister I paused.

“I think I am going to visit my sister if she is online,” I stated.

“I would love to join you,” Sarah commented and the others seemed willing to come also. With that we left. It was a short walk and we talked about minor things like before. When we reached the place I knocked then entered. Jasper was there kitting up in heavy looking armour with his massive sword and a large shield and also Hector.

“Sorry, your sister isn't here, we are being called to the front. One of the faction is moving against us and we need all forces their even I am on my way now.” Jasper stated, “Hector I will met you at the Spire. Dismissed,”

Hector bowed slightly and left.

“I guess this is a bad time then?” I asked.

“Sorry kiddo, not much we can do I was expecting it to take longer for this scale of counter attack. Becky rushed ahead to rally the forces while I prepared,” he stated fiddling with one of the straps on his shoulder.

“Could I come with you?” I asked curious of what it was like. He opened a few menus and scowled slightly.

“Sorry you are still in training from a mentor, can't enter the Spire till that finishes,” He explained, “Anyway I must take my leave. Make yourselves at home however I doubt we will be returning here tonight,” With that he left. I was disappointed at such a brief encounter but in some ways I was glad, his express was that of someone about to have a night of fun rather than hard work. I guessed even if I couldn't see them that they were going to enjoy themselves. I took a seat and the others joined me.

“Sounds like a lot of fighting is happening through the Spire,” commented Sarah thinking about it.

“What is the Spire?” I asked.

“In the middle of the hub is that beam of light, it transports you to the real contest area,” replied Sarah, “It is named by many the Spire since it is similar to that I guess. Any faction member can freely enter it and be transported to their faction's entrance, other than that I can't tell you much. I have never entered,”

“All I know is that must be a great place for fighting,” Sammie added.

“I came to this world to try and take part in that contest,” Lance commented, “I have drifted though many worlds and when I saw some footage being show from it I wanted to be there. Heck I didn't think a group I would join at the start had connections to a faction,”

“To be fair most of us haven't, heck even Jessica here didn't know about her own connection at the start,” Matt explained, “I doubt as a group we will be able to enter a faction other than that one we just saw the members of at least till we make a real name for ourselves,”

“How long does the mentor quest last?” Lance asked.

“Generally it varies, it can last a few hours or up to half a year in rare cases. It is a measure of how you manage with the game. For Jess it is likely going to be a month. However for you Lance I wouldn't be surprised if only a few days or weeks. You have some experience with games after all.” Sarah replied before Matt even could.

“Is there a way to force it to end?” Queried Lance already seeming to disagree with being limited.

“There are a few ways however I won't share them. I agree with the system on this and don't want to go against it. Just explore the game, get use to it and grow to the point it is finished. I will come sooner rather than later for you. There isn't a reason to rush I mean time isn't that limited is it?” She responded.

“I guess, but a day in there would be better than a day out here,” Lance commented dryly.

“And when you a free of the mentor quest what will you do then? Factions are not just going to sweep you onto the battlefield just because you want it. The system is designed to create groups and bonds, if you wish to go against it you will likely stand alone with no option than to drift alone or lean on it for support,” Sarah sharply to him. Lance was instantly put in his place. Talk was a bit slow to resume after that but it gradually picked up and soon we were laughing at jokes and tales of old. When it was dark and hunger finally picked up we left, heading back to the inn. It was nice to spend time in that place since it was very much designed by my sister and Jasper but it would have been nicer to spend time with them but I guess everyone has that feeling some time or another. After a quick bit of food everyone started to head upstairs. I felt like heading up but Sarah stopped me.

“Do you mind waiting a little?” she asked me when only I was left.

“Not at all, what is on your mind.” I responded.

“I think we should keep Lance distant from your family, he seems like he might push boundaries on what is acceptable and general etiquette,” She said, “I think he is going to struggle here. He seems like the type to go against the system when the system has been in place and working for a long time. When this game started groups formed and connected due to it, after a while factions started to be made and others would grow connected due to it but whenever someone goes against the system they will tend to be alone. Emily went against the system a bit but for her it is more how she plays and she isn't seriously considering to venture through the Spire so it is fine,”

“Will you mention it to Matt?” I questioned.

“When I get a moment without Lance I will, it seems he has a hard first time mentor quest,” she said with a sigh, “Anyway sorry to keep you. Sleep well,”

“You too,” I replied and went upstairs to my room. I took my sword off and noticed there was a package on the table. I looked at the note attached and it said.

Thank you for the quiver.

Here is a little something to help you get started.

-Sarah

I carefully opened the package to find something unexpected. It was a lightly armoured shirt, almost matching my trousers. I tried it and it felt secure. With this I felt I could hopefully be stronger even if it only was due to slightly more protection. I quickly changed out of it to my starter outfit that was more suitable for sleeping and drifted off.

0