Chapter 22
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saying it was busier was an understatement. Within the hour there was more staff that I had ever seen here. Nelson made us move to a table in the corner already knowing what was going on and Storm quickly rushed out with what seemed large bag of coins from the sounds it made. Tables were being moved and even pure white table clothes were brought out instead of just the wood left bare.

“Well this is going to be a big event so I should give you fair warning on what to expect,” Nelson started as watched the movement. “Firstly since we have a few who’ve never seen this it can be consider one of the most formal events of this world. Generally speaking dress wear is the standard day to day stuff but there are almost certainly going to be many top ambassadors from factions and many others looking for a good meal. There will be many factions looking to boost their numbers and since we are the supplier of the meat it means we will be the guest of honour and one of the main targets for recruitment.”

“We can't get away from being in the spotlight now can we?” Emily asked already knowing the answer.

“We need to seriously consider joining a faction or at least having ties to one so we can be more in their shadow.” Nelson confirmed, “The key thing to do at this event is not commit to any factions but just see what is offered however I think with our current … connections,” He glanced at me briefly before continuing. “I think we have an ideal path to take.”

He paused for a moment before raising his voice slightly, “However!” he stated before lowing it again, “Until we have no one on the mentor quest I will not permit us entry as a group to a faction and this means no cancelling it either,” his last part we all knew was directed at Lance but I felt Nelson's gaze which troubled me.

“Generally there will be a few guards at the door for the next few days and it will be pay to enter with a large cost and often contests for further costs. You almost certainly will be able to enter and leave at will but it is best to not leave and return often. Contest wise it varies so just ask before.” Nelson explained.

“What kind of contests?” I couldn’t help but ask.

“Eating,” Sammie grinned.

“Generally speaking eating based ones however there are often areas either outside or inside for minor skirmishes but I wouldn't recommend you try that, the people who attend these events are the elite and won't hold back. You are almost certain to lose without specialised equipment or training,” Nelson commented and the way his eyes shifted slightly down I think it was even outside his league and I knew where I stood against him.

“I will not say don't fight, just remember that we shouldn't be dragging our names down. Generally speaking Victoria I have some doubts but could fight at least decently, Emily and Sammie also have poor odds but possible, the rest of us are almost certain to lose.”

What worried me was that while Victoria, Emily and Sammie were our strongest, it was still only poor odds and not good odds. I considered all this before being interrupted by Victoria getting up.

“I will see you tomorrow, I have attended these before so I know what to expect,” she commented taking the stairs up. It seems she wasn't going to linger and listen, going to her room instead.

“Just try and enjoy yourselves and keep factional politic talks to a minimal without being rude. It will likely be at least a day or two before we can finally get back to normal life but this should be a good chance to relax,” With that we were effectively dismissed but lingered. Sarah put a hold on my shoulder and gave me a brief smile to reassure me before the talks died down to less serious topics.

It was interesting hearing some of the talks of the adventures from the past few days but I was struggling to take it in and decided to call it a night shortly after. I did a few more pages of reading from the guidebook but I was likely just repeating it a fair bit.

I woke to a knock at the door. Sarah greeted me and told me to get ready. I had a short bath while she waited outside. It wasn’t long till I was in my slightly armoured outfit ready to go downstairs but I felt odd like this wasn’t a fitting outfit for what was to come, as if sensing my doubt Sarah chirped in.

“It will be fine,” We walked downstairs and I just stopped when I saw the difference.

“I haven’t been kidnapped and changed inns overnight right?”

“No this is just the fancy ship instead of the relaxed flaming ship, anyway we should get some breakfast there was still a few tables for pre-event use,” Leading me down to an area close to the bar where a handful of tables seemed like they always had considering even the walls had cloth covering them to hide the wood and seem like I was in a 5 star restaurant.

“Seems things are going fast and the event will start in the late morning so a light meal is recommended,” informed Nelson, “oh and go up to the bar to order, there is still someone serving the regulars while the rest are busy,”

“Sure,” was all I managed before finding the bartender, he was the only one not dressed up in an extremely fancy suit at the one point where the bar was uncovered. I ordered a basic kind of sandwich and noticed the kitchen when he gave an order to the chefs. It wasn’t a normal level of heat coming from it either as the shockwave of it hit, large amounts of pots were filled and boiling their contents, fires of grills roaring, trying to devour what cooked above it. It was hard to imagine the amount of work that had happened overnight, when people said these events were big they meant it. Finally the bartender returned with a plate and sandwich and he simply said, “On the house,” I think he had noticed a minor action from Storm who was setting up a slightly raised area with a few hammer swings to secure it but I must have missed the gesture. I grabbed the plate carefully and brought it back to the table with a quick “Thank you” before eating, it kind of had the heat and moisture from the kitchen and was a little less enjoyable than I expected.

“The guards are here boss,” called a voice at the door entering.

“Thank you Huw, tell them to accept guests at the agreed on price in half an hour,” Storm called back as he put his hammer onto his belt and unrolled a rug of a large bear skin onto the raised area- no the stage.

“Sure thing boss, I will change into my suit and join them in greeting afterwards, seems like people will be arriving soon,”

“Good, Oscar, James, Dennis and Jasper, set the event table up, standard style,” Storm order and I spun around at the name Jasper only to find four people moving a large thin table onto the stage that looked nothing like the Jasper I knew. I guess I was just missing my family. Victoria seemed to have a slight smirk at my reaction.

“There are only so many names and a lot of people just use their real names or nicknames, still maybe he will turn up as the Moonlight Crusade’s representative,” Victoria commented taking a sip of a drink and just seeming overly relaxed like this was all nothing new to her. I felt like being rude, I really don’t know why but just went with a “Maybe,” reply. It wasn’t long after I finished the sandwich that we were asked to move to a decorated table and I have never felt so out of place but within minutes the last tables and bar were transformed.

With two loud claps the room transformed into silence.

“Attention everyone, regulars included,” Storm called out in a large clear voice, “First thank you all for your hard work, anyone not on the evening shift go rest up, you have worked hard and deserve a break. Next to the regulars, you have free reign as always just please be respectful to the many guests that come in, basic food will be provided for free during the event but the fancy stuff and event tables will have the entry fee charge as usual for these events. Exceptions apply to Nelson’s group with highly discounted prices for being providers, Sammie you are completely provided for today, thank you for providing such high quality goods. Any regulars who wished to leave during the day, make sure to tell Huw outside so he can alert the guards to let you in without issues, I don’t abandon my regulars and this is a home to many of you. It is going to be busy so we will be providing room service for anyone who needs to get away from all the noise, I will post two staff at the top of the stairs for any requests for food and drink, there will be at least one person there at all times but expect minor delays with orders. Finally to the staff, I trust you all completely and know you will do the inn proud, thank you for your support and as always a large bonus will be provided at the end of the event, anyone who wants the a few days off after the event make a note on the usual board and it will be granted, paid. Now get ready to show the world what we can do!” I kind of expected a bow after it but that was more Victor’s style and he just gave a large but warm grin before stepping down going to the basement.

I looked around a bit noticing some people sitting at other tables. I never really gave interest to the other groups, some were just one or two people but others were actually similar sized groups and one was over three times the size of ours at one of the long tables that use to be the biggest tables in the place. A large sound and the door from the basement and Storm appeared finally dressed. A suit without a tie and an unbuttoned collar, smart but a bit casual, then I noticed his cuffs, cufflinks with small gems in reds, oranges and yellow, the pattern of fire. The rest of the staff seemed similar with bow ties and simpler three gemmed cufflinks in a red, orange yellow pattern. The women were generally wearing the same but a little variation due to curves and some had matching earrings. What really drew me in was that every single one of them had collars were like they were aflame with colours, the dark outfits shifts to like a roaring flame for the colour on top of the coals of the rest. As if to draw you in.

“That’s the full dress for the inn staff, each has its own style and while this place is usually a very relaxed and casual place it doesn’t hold back for special events, the collars while a bit clashing and extreme also help you quickly identify the staff,” Nelson commented, I guess my face must have been showing the awe, “ah Storm is just using a standard black collar today, must be going full meet and greet, he often would work hard as just another staff member,”

“If you are nervous stick with us more,” added Sarah, “It can get very busy in these and feel a bit overly formal at times but it is still generally relaxed as things get going,”

“Contests Sammie?” Matt asked.

“Contests,” was her reply with a smile at her partner in crime. Nelson’s eyes narrowed a bit at them but he seemed relaxed so I am guessing this was just them playing around and to be expected, maybe a slight “don’t over do it” warning kind of look.

“Doors opening everyone,” Huw called as he opened the doors from the outside and I could see the many armed guards and a much larger crowd that started to move. Things were about to get very busy…

0