CH25 — Shopping date
1.7k 11 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That wasn’t how I intended my day to go,” Ku Lo said to Feng Huling “But for a day's work, I sure made profit.”

She hummed. “Your authority over them has already surpassed mine, a sect elder’s daughter.” 

Huang Qingling let out a snicker with a devilish grin. 

Ku Lo rolled his eyes. No, she has all the power.

“What?” Feng Huling, who didn’t know of the ploy, frowned. “Isn’t that enough? Shouldn’t you be happier?” 

“Couldn’t ask for more. It’s just that I had some other plans with the three of you.” 

Feng Huling’s and Huang Gingge’s facial expressions dropped to zero for a blink.

“It’s okay. Cousin Niu is fine, and that’s enough for me.” 

“Whatever.” Qingling was the least affected. 

The one of worst was evident. Gingge didn’t really recover from the mood drop; she acted with little facade as her eyes stared at the ground. “Ku Lo… You really had something planned for us?” 

His fingers lifted her chin. “A nice tour of the Outer Sect Plaza, shopping for furniture, finished with dinner before going to see our new home,” he said before looking away from her light-blue eyes. “But with all of this…”  

“oh… it's fine.” 

It wasn’t.

Her lips trembling pushed a new wave of energy to rush out from his heart. “There’s still time, let’s go.” 

“No thanks-” Qingling sighed. “I’m so… tired.” 

“Sister, C’mon.” Gingge didn’t see the deeper meaning. “You have to come.” 

“I understand, it’s been a long day. Thanks for the help and see you tomorrow.” 

“I’ll get you something if there’s a shop still open,” Feng Huling said. 

Gingge’s round-head spun all over. “Sister, wait! Don’t go!” 

“Sister, don’t let me hold you from achieving happiness,” Qingling told in a half-commanding tone while walking away. 

No matter how tired Qingling might’ve acted, she sure vanished fast. 

“Your sister is right, you know?” Ku Lo took her small hand. “There’s nothing wrong with taking a hold of your own life, Huang Gingge— No, Gingge.” 

I’m such a smooth talker, he gave himself credit as Gingge’s mood turned towards the better. 

“Okay!” 

“Good, let’s get going.” Ku Lo took one step before looking to his other side. There he noted Huling who did not move, except for a jaded hand that stretched out in a suggestive manner. 

It was a clear statement to which he agreed by taking her hand the same way as with Gingge. 

This type of hand holding wasn’t enough for Huling, however. She leaned her upper body against his arm. “I’m a bit tired too, so I'll lean onto you.”

This advance from her opponent prompted Gingge to adopt the same posture. “Ku Lo, could you place your hand around my waist?” Even taking it a step further.

His body ran with excited and elated shudders. What more could he ask for than this, he thought as the hand obliged. 

The fact that Ku Lo was missing a pink suit and a fur jacket from completing the pimp look flew right past him while strolling to the Outer Sect Plaza. “Lucky us! The furniture shop isn’t closed yet.” 

Huang Gingge let out an excited shout as a hand rose towards the sky. “Shopping, shopping,” she sang, swaying her head.  

Well, she turned to a new person. From a shy cutie to a passively drunk groupie in ten minutes.

Feng Huling acted much, much more lady-like. “I’ve heard of this place.” 

“People say it's the best place for furniture in the outer sect,” Ku Lo said as they entered the building with the help of two servants opening double glass doors. “And I couldn’t have you two sit on anything second class.”

 Gingge’s cheeks flushed red. “So bad.”

“Welcome,” a servant on the other side of the doors greeted. “I would love to show you around, but…” The servant meandered while making all kinds of apologetic gestures with his hands.

“We’re here to buy, not browse.” Ku Lo took out a pouch with a strong Qi trace. 

The servant’s demeanour took a sharp turn. “Right this way. Let this lowly one be your guide.” 

All the rumours he'd heard appeared correct, the items and service of the place was the best, granted one could afford it. Good thing he had the wealth of 20 Inner Court Disciples.

At some point of this expensive tour, Ku Lo approached the servant who knew the layout of all non-custom rooms in the sect. He cleared his throat before whispering, “keep them occupied for a moment.” 

“right-” The servant nodded. “yes, yes.”

Without further word, Ku Lo took his leave from the shop as the servant began to showcase the behind the counter items to his ladies.  

Out of the shop, he could see the bazaar area was on its last kindles. 

Damn it! He wanted to kick something. How am I to find something for Ku Xie’s condition now? His little sister’s sickness was on his mind 24/7. Every action he took worked towards curing her disease, at least in theory, for the application of that wasn’t the best to say the least. 

Don’t. Don’t fall to defeatism. The world is endless... You might need only one item or technique to cure her. He refocused and strolled into the bazaar; eyes on the lookout for anything or anyone knowledgeable of medicine.

Most of the vendors were moving out for the day already, so Ku Lo weaved his way through their carts in the already narrow paths in this living maze. 

Treasures of all types, meat cooked and raw, and pets. The bazaar had everything one could think of on sale, except for a magical potion which was labelled for him, of course. 

“Boy, are you looking for something?” The voice belonged to some wrinkly old man wearing rags as clothes and whose items were displayed on a rug spread on the floor. 

Like you could help, he thought before beginning to pass the old man. 

That was the plan, at least. 

“You seem distressed.”

Ku Lo had stopped; however, it wasn’t because of his words but because he couldn’t move his leg! 

“What do you want? Alms? Food?” The situation was annoying, but seeing as the old man could apprehend him without effort it was best not to be rash. 

“Sit.” The old man tapped the ground on the opposite side of his rug. 

Ku Lo sighed as he sat down. 

“Let me take a look at you for a moment.” Said the old man whose eyes could be barely seen from under his drooping eyelids. 

Yes, why don’t you? It’s not like I had anything else to do. He rolled his eyes, frustrated by having his time be wasted. 

“Is everything well? Back home?” 

“No,” he said, looking elsewhere for a potion or something similar. 

“Sister… Little Sister… Sick?” 

Ku Lo’s eyes returned to the man. “You’re pretty good at guessing, old man.” 

The old man’s face twitched when called an old man. Or maybe it was because he called whatever he did as guessing. 

Is he Rin Tin Tin’s great-great-great-grandfather or something, he laughed to himself. He’s going to pull a star from his ass next! Then tell me what it means for my future! 

“The arts I practice are no laughing matter.” 

“Okay, okay.” He decided not to laugh at his face. The older generations should still be respected.

“Your little sister’s illness… It is a mystery?” The drooping eyelids withdrew to reveal a set of… white eyes? 

“Of c—” The revelation of his eyes which had no pupil or iris shook him in a weird way he couldn’t explain.

The old man’s hand went for his rug. It went over a couple of items before grabbing an amulet.

“Give this to your little sister-” He handed over the silver trinket which had a certain radiance to it, as if it was alive, beating. 

“Why would I?” 

“Take it or not?” The old man asked, his hand pulling the rag and the items on it off the ground.

Ku Lo grabbed the silver amulet. 

The old man stood up and threw the rug, which had become a bag, on his back. 

“Finally, something new,” he said before vanishing, leaving an after image for a few seconds.  

26