9. I was Greedy
150 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

BOOM!

 

"Shouldering Blast Palm!"

 

"Hundred Blossom Sword!"

 

Ame's palms were deflected by a sword.

 

"The Young Lord of Sword of the Crimson Sword Sect managed to deflect baby Ame's weirdly named yet unstoppable palm techniques! Despite its weird name, it had been one of the most domineering forces of the tournament. It had brought this young contender to the finals against all odds. Speaking of odds, this is a 1:10 betting odds, in favor of the Young Lord." The commentator's voice echoed throughout the town square.

 

"It's not weird, it's practical!" irritated, Ame shouted back at the commentator! Everyone laughed at her outburst… everyone, other than Ame's previous and current opponents.

 

Everyone who had to pleasure to receive this palm of hers could tell the devastation it carried.

 

'As always, the ignorant laughs. This girl is not so simple… she's stronger and faster, and despite missing any calluses in her hands, she's more experienced than all that I have fought; than any of my Martial brothers and sisters.' The one they called the Young Lord of Sword said with a faint glint around his eyes. He raised his blade horizontally in front of him, "I didn't think I'd meet someone so strong in a place like this. Sadly, I'm going to have to get serious now." he admitted.

 

Ame looked at the seriousness of the Young Lord of Sword, "Do you mean to say you've been taking it easy on me this whole time? What, are you really from a Big Sect from the big city? What are you even doing here?"

 

The Young Lord just smiled to answer her question and then dashed forth and made a horizontal slash, "Cutting Mountains!" he roared.

 

Ame was prepared to intercept the sword, but then, the trajectory shifted. The sword moved up and then down in quick successions as the Young Lord laughed ever so lightly, "It had been fun." he said.

 

The scent of burning sandalwood accompanied his sword. Its metallic luster changed to sunset crimson; it burned as it was about to complete its descent.

 

The Young Lord had no choice but to be so drastic else suffer defeat in such a lowly place. He had secured victory, 'I didn't want to use this because it was too dangerous, but...'

 

It was a surprise to see an opponent like Ame in such a far-off town.

 

"Are you stupid or something?"

 

But as complacency rested on his face, Ame scoffed in response.

 

"Why are you smiling and laughing like you're in high heavens?" Ame watched the flow of his blade and gathered strength at the center of her palms; she sneered, "You call this a sword technique? Blade Breaker Palm…."

 

Ame did not run away or even try evading the sword. Instead, she leaned forward to face it head-on.

 

She raised both hands in front of her and touched the sword near its base, applying pressure on one side and then striking it in the other, breaking it in half. The blade was now too short and hit the empty air.

 

"Impossible..."

 

Those who saw it watched in shock, they and even the Young Lord of Sword. Ame drew close to the Young Lord. 

 

"My brother wipes his ass more complicated than your entire sword, now fuck off — Black Flame Palm!"

 

BAM!

 

The newly named Loser was sent flying, his clothes burnt and his skin imprinted with a tiny handprint of a little girl.

 

"The winner is — Ame of the weirdly named Palm Techniques!"

 

Ame wanted to tear the commentator piece by piece but forced herself to stop. Standing in the middle of the stage, Ame smiled like the sun seeing people cheer for her.

 

She blushed as she failed to look at them direly.

 

[Congratulations, Ame.] Kiel's voice entered her mind.

 

[Thank you, Jihihihi! Did you see my greatness? I swept through everyone like they were nothing.] Ame didn't know where Kiel was, but she bragged without fail.

 

Kiel, who was amongst the crowd, was smiling for his sister's victory; with this, he managed to help her take a step forward.

 

Ame, who stood in the middle of the stage, felt a strong presence, and as she turned around, she found a middle-aged man approaching.

 

'A 3rd Stage True Spirit cultivator as the Town Lord? This place really is at the backwaters.' Ame thought to herself.

 

The middle-aged man had a long beard, and his embroidered robe spoke of his status… he was rich.

 

[Don't steal his jewelry.]

 

[I know, what do you take me for?]

 

Stopping a step before her, the Town Lord reached out and tapped Ame's shoulders a couple of times, "We have good seeds this time around. Young Ame, I present you the promised, Soul-Beast — a Raging Fire Bull."

 

Ame reached out and accepted the price with a slight bow, "Thank you, Town Lord." She smiled as she did this.

 

Ame and the Town Lord then looked at each other, it was then that he said with a loud voice, "Someone from the Celestial Phoenix Mountain had asked to meet with this year's winner, you have a chance to become a part of such a Great Sect, young Ame. Will you take this chance?"

 

The Town Lord's words incited unrest. The name Celestial Phoenix Mountain was widely spread. Lily town was a part of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain, and many of the youths there wished to enter this mystical domain of cultivators.

 

"I heard the Celestial Phoenix Mountain have a cultivation room for each of their students; how lucky Weaver Ava's daughter is. If she's this strong, what about the brother? Is he also another genius?"

 

"I doubt it. That family on the Hills is already lucky enough to have someone like Ame as their daughter… but still, if one of theirs can get to the Celestial Phoenix Mountain, doesn't that mean they're already destined for a fortuitous future?"

 

"You're right. Should I have my daughter meet with the brother? Although he cannot cultivate, I hear he's smart and is growing strong by the day. The twin brother of a future Immortal as my Son-in-Law, how good is that? Who knows, some of the talents may be passed down to my lineage!"

 

Kiel found himself without many reactions; he was far more interested in the talks of the people. How Ava, his mother, was referred to or how his parents were seen overall. Their laughter pierced him for unknown reasons.

 

He looked ahead and saw Ame's expression brightening up, and before she could even ask, Kiel gave an answer, [Go, I'll help you explain the details to Mother later. If this is what you want, I shall not hinder your path.]

 

[Thank you, brother.] Ame's springy voice sounded.

 

Kiel watched as Ame followed the Town Lord to the Town Lord's Manor. They boarded a carriage, and despite Ame's insistence, Kiel refused to join them, but he decided to follow them discreetly.

 

Then, Kiel stopped his steps as he watched the carriage pass through the gates of the Manor. He knew she would return, but the gears already began to turn for Ame...

 

The towering gates before him kept him from entering the world his family walked. He was silent as he watched Ame from the other side of the gate enter the Manor.

 

He watched Ame look around; Kiel knew what she was thinking. 

 

'She's thinking how to break through their guards, isn't she?' Kiel sighed and then did the same, 'Well, their defenses really are lax, however.'

 

Ame entered, and after an hour or so, she exited with two women. One of them had long black hair; this lady was wearing a red robe. The other one was someone with short red hair, wearing a Qipao.

 

"Do you really not wish for us to convince your parents? If we go with you, I am sure we will be able to change their minds." The one in the red robes said.

 

"Yes, yes, this is a once-in-a-lifetime situation where you can get into the Celestial Phoenix Mountain. No one would turn us down if we go recruit you ourselves." the one in the Qipao added.

 

Ame just laughed.

 

They walked as they spoke, and soon, the three girls reached the gates. Ame lowered her head, "My Brother is waiting for me outside, Senior Sister, if you would excuse me."

 

The gates opened by Ame's request, and the two women from the Celestial Phoenix Mountain saw Ame throwing her hands into the air as she recounted everything to Kiel.

 

The women expected the brother to jump from delight or flash an envious expression, but as he smiled, the only thing he showed was a saddened expression at the mention of good news.

 

The maidens watched the twins' departure. Ame turned to them one last time and bowed, and as for the brother, he simply nodded without so much as a hint of respect. His eyes showed how much he cared — none, that's how much he cared.

 

The one in the Qipao grew irritated at this sight. She was a disciple of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain; no one disrespects her like that. The pride that had been cultivated throughout her years reared its ugly head, "That disrespectful... is he looking down upon us!?" she roared.

 

However, before she could do anything, the one with the robes stopped her, "Mirh, that is enough. No matter how he seems, he is still Junior Sister Ame's brother. If we do anything to him, we might lose a genius of her caliber." She argued with words.

 

Mirh, the one in the Qipao, clicked her tongue; her apparent dislike about the situation showed, "Is she really that big of an asset? She can't possibly be that good, right?"

 

Mirh asked, seeing how much Ris was interested in the girl named rouse bitterness in her heart.

 

"A seven years old girl beating the rising Young Lord of Sword of the Crimson Sword Sect, and you are still asking that?" Ris just laughed and did not wait for an answer, "Just leave them be; she'll come around soon enough, I can tell."

 

"I unerstand, Sister Ris."

 

Ris looked at Mirh pouting before turning back to Kiel, who she found giving them a quick glance. For a moment, Ris' heart hastened as she felt threatened, but in the next, she saw Kiel not even sparing her a glance.

 

'What just happened?' she asked as she felt as though her heart was ripped apart by a monster.

 

Ris failed to understand, 'How weird this is… I may have been acting too paranoid.' Her words intend to counsel her fear.

 

The sun reached the west, and dusk was beginning to settle. Ame and Kiel left for an alleyway as the sister changed while the brother looked out for any pervert.

 

The next thing they did was meet their mother in the Town Gate. Ava waved her hand as she stood beside the Oxcart.

 

"Mama!" Ame ran up to Ava with a smile; she then hugged her mother to earn some points.

 

Ava raised her brows as she turned to Kiel for answers.

 

"She was begged to join the Celestial Phoenix Mountain… I shall drive the Oxcart mother." Kiel said as he took the reigns and had the mother and daughter get on the back.

 

"Are you sure, Kiel? This Ox is a rather feisty one to control. Can you really wish to drive it back home?" Ava asked with a smile… Ame was still hanging by her neck.

 

"It is manageable. Ame, stop trying to earn points; mother already saw through you; now, try and convince them. Fair warning, I will not help you this time."

 

"What!?" Ame turned her head in shock; her mouth was shaped like an "o" because of this betrayal.

 

Kiel didn't really care about her opinion, "Stop arguing, it is not me who wants to go out and cultivate, but you. My words hold little weight, and your dedication is not mine… please try to understand." 

 

Ava was on the side listening to their "playful" banter, 'Kiel's words really go deep at times. Now, if only he could use that to better learn about himself. He's too smart for his own good.'

 

Ame wanted to pout, but, in the end, she could only sigh, "I supposed you are right, now, mother, please get onto the platform/Oxcart of conversation so I can convince you about this."

 

Ava made a hopeless smile, she already knew she would not be able to stop this daughter of hers, but she decided to sit with her, nonetheless.

 

Ame had never been one to explain things with eloquence like Kiel. It was always interesting to see her fumble.

 

The travel was not long, neither was it onerous. It was calm, steady, and no bumps were hit. The stars carpeted the night, as the cloudless skies showed the beauty of the twinkling stars.

 

Kiel raised his head as he listened to Ame's words. He looked at a glowing bright red star.

 

So much has happened in such a short amount of time. Kiel had to use so much and resorted to his old ways. While others take pleasure in being above others, Kiel was the opposite.

 

Now, as he watched the stars, he sought out confirmation of his Mortality.

 

Only the vast skies could bring him back to his feet, 'As the True Spirit comes to life, it will devour a star… until the Night Sky is devoid of any light, only then would Cultivation would end. But as the Wheel of Reincarnation continues to exist, the Stars could never truly disappear. The Cycle will continue now and forever, so Cultivation will last forever — To End Cultivation is to end Existence itself.'

 

A simple passage Kiel created in this life. It only meant one thing, Cultivation would not end until something exists to be devoured, 'A cycle fueled by greed and desires.'

 

The Oxcart continued on its way, and soon, he saw the house built atop a hill. The barn next to it was as striking as always with its color of red.

 

Ava and Ame went to tidy the back of the Oxcart while Kiel went to keep the Ox and the Oxcart away. Ame's brows were creased as she began thinking about the words she would use to convince her father — the last boss has yet to come.

 

[I'll get you for this betrayal, Kiel!] she swore her revenge.

 

[I will be looking forward to it. Maybe, this time you'll beat me.] Kiel laughed at her words and went to finish the task he was assigned. From the harness to the cart itself, all were placed aside with ease.

 

Then, he placed grains and grass in two separate mangers, and he even prepared water to drink. Kiel did a fantastic job, perfect without faults. Like how he lived, it was systematical to ensure nothing crumbles and creates distortion in this satisfying life.

 

His steps were the same, full of energy but without sounds. He then heard loud voices coming from inside their house…

 

"Please, Young Lord, you must return to help the Family fight against the Kingson Family, we —"

 

Quickly, Kiel entered their home, his face separating from its usual calm.

 

His steps, now loud and without restraint, his movement disoriented and without purpose.

 

His smile turned to a frown as he entered and saw three people inside, all of whom were matching black robes and even tight-fitting suits meant for assassins.

 

These three all had their heads buried on the floor as they all begged for help, "Please, we implore you to help the Head! We c—"

 

Their words stopped as Noah spoke, "The Main Family have disowned me and ensured that I cannot leave this place State with my Family. Why should I go and help them? I am not a part of your family. Harold, go back; I have nothing to say."

 

The one with the black robe raised his head, his veins popping as he shouted, "You were the one who abandoned us! I was your closest confidant. I trusted that you would become the next head! But you! You abandoned us, announced to your Father, that you will marry the daughter of the former Head's Killer!"

 

Noah's eyes turned red from anger as he grabbed hold of Harold's collar, "He asked me to choose, abandon everything for the family I dreamt of, or live as a slave for people who know nothing but scheme and live in luxury!

 

"I left because I followed my heart, not my greed, nor my blood. Look me in the eyes and tell me that my life would be better sitting on that throne where the eyes of wolves pointed glares at my every move, waiting for me to make a mistake. Their fangs waiting to tear my flesh! Why should I contend for a position of hollowness? That is a throne of swords, surrounded by vultures."

 

The hill trembled from Noah's anger, and only Ava's touch managed to calm the storm of fury, "You are scaring the children, Noah." She said in a calm tone.

 

Noah saw their faces and had to force himself to calm down, "Get out of my sight, Harold."

 

"...." The ground of men stood up, and as they felt conflicted in their hearts, Harold still left the words, "Before I go, I'll let you know that the Head already lost an arm to the Kingston."

 

Shocked, Noah almost called out to them, but he hesitated and stayed himself.

 

He passed Kiel by the door. He looked at the child's eye, and for a moment, saw a pit of darkness… he inadvertently averted his gaze.

 

Kiel entered the house and saw both his father and mother supporting each other. He failed to respond in any manner, and so did Ame.

 

Noah noticed Kiel's shadow, and as he did, he forced out a smile as he said, "I'm sorry for scaring the both of you."

 

Noah held onto his children's hands; he trembled in fear. Scared that what he found in this place would crumble.

 

A great warrior like him was afraid, not of a sword but of losing his family.

 

The night passed, the talk about Ame joining the Celestial Phoenix Mountain was forgotten, and the family went to sleep early. Or so they would have, but Kiel and Ame failed to even close their eyes as they heard Noah and Ava's words from the other side wooden door.

 

Kiel covered both ears.

 

No one shouting and yelling, but the deafening softness of his parents' worries felt worst, always finding reasons to rouse his anxiety and fears. It was harrowing.

 

He sat on their bed as he looked at the moon, [Ame, do you think they will leave?]

 

[I don't know, but... I doubt they will.]

 

[Why? The look in Father's eyes when he learned of his family's situation was a clear indication of wavering will.] Kiel argued.

 

Ame opened his eyes and looked at the thatched roof, [It's because Father is afraid of vilification.]

 

[Afraid? He gave zero care when the Kings of the East came to knock on our doors and walked out bucked naked. He once prostrated for a week to Mother, his knees never leaving the ground no matter what he did, just so he could take you hunting in the Eastern Regions for three weeks when you were five. I don't think Father is worried about vilification.]

 

Ame sighed, [Sometimes, I don't even know if you are just acting like a fool or not.]

 

[...]

 

[He's not afraid for himself, but for us... for Mother. He doesn't want us to suffer what he did. From what we heard earlier, Father is from a wealthy family primed to be the next heir. If he returns after being branded as a traitor with us, how do you think would they react?]

 

[...does that mean he cares for them as well?]

 

[Naturally.]

 

[I see....]

 

[Don't worry, everything is going to be all right.] Ame saw through him.

 

'...you're lying' Kiel saw through her as well.

 

'So knowledgeable yet still so pitifully unknowing. Listen, just like there is no such thing as destiny, and how prophecies are nothing but coincidences and predictions, life is uncontrollable.' he repeated Ourorboros' words.

 

Kiel's heart raced; the only thing he could do to calm himself was to fill his mind and drown everything in the sea of thoughts.  

 

He remembered the starry skies and thought to himself, 'Like how the starry sky is the forever reoccurring cycle of death and reincarnation of greed and desires, it is also a person's life.

 

'Constellations can only be formed when stars from different places line up with one another… to see the fullness of life; I cannot just look at the straight path as the only possibility I can take. For a true life to be realized, an interwoven path must appear, and that can only appear if I let the ones who travel with me go and deviate from my path. I have been too selfish...'

 

[Where are you going?] Ame asked as Kiel got up from their bed, then realized his intentions, [Ki-kiel!?]

 

Kiel chose to stand up and then felt his steps becoming heavier as he approached his parents' room. Kiel touched the door; a simple push would result in the destruction of the life he had been trying so hard to protect.

 

He took in a deep breath, as his heart began to beat faster than ever before, 'I am not the only one living….'

 

Pushing open the door, his parents saw him and exited their room, "Is something the matter, Kiel?" Noah asked, worried about his son.

 

"Were we being too loud?" Ava added.

 

Kiel looked at his father's eyes; they were full of anxiety and fear, far from its usual purity. A feeling of tearing appeared in his heart, and with the best of his ability, Kiel opened his mouth, "Fa..."

 

It was hard for him to speak. His lips trembled, but he had to continue, "Father… please, go and help your family with mother."

 

"What?" Noah and Ava failed to understand his words.

 

"Father is hesitant to leave because he is worried about us, and he shouted at those people as if you hate them, yet the moment they left, your hands trembled as they clutched mine. You... do not want to admit it, but you want to go."

 

None spoke, and by this time, Ame peeked from their room.

 

Kiel continued his words despite the cracks it carried, "I…I am not knowledgeable about the happenings of the past, but I know that Father wishes to go and help your parents. It is okay, Father, do not hesitate, leave with mother, and complete your desire… because I know… Father will not be the same unless you go." 

 

Another emotion surfaced in his heart.

 

It was a different kind of emotion from before when he was a child; it was not embarrassment, neither was it shame. It was sadness and nothing more. Yet, it was liberating as he finally pushed himself to utter the words he had been trying to push down...

 

With tears in his eyes, Kiel sniffled as he finished his words, "Please, go… so that... I can hab… da Father dat smiles back."

 

Kiel cried with broken words as he realized he couldn't see his family smile because of his greed.

If you liked the chapter, then help the story by rating it, commenting, or leaving a review for others to discover.

Thank you for reading, if you wish to support the book or just read ahead, you can consider Patreon for 1$

11