17. Friends
213 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tak!

 

"Do you know what you are afflicted with, Irys?"

 

Tak! 

 

"Yes, Mr. Jiang said it is called the Spring Tears. It weakens the body from the inside, slowly draining me of my blood essence and eating at my Meridians. Though we all thought I still have a long time as spring is not yet upon us, my case will awaken in three days, and then, I will die into a beautiful spring of blood."

 

Tak!

 

"The [Spring Tears] is called as such because when those afflicted dies, their bodies burst like blooming flowers. However, instead of smiles, witnessing a flowerbed of blood summons tears."

 

Tak!

 

Irys smiled as she made her move. Her only reprieve on the issue was a beautiful death, "I know, but it still makes me think. When I die, will it be as beautiful death as I hope, or would it be a horrifying sight? I wonder wha—"

 

"Please, stop talking like that, Family Head!" Luca could not hold back her emotions, thinking how their little Family Head would perish, "You, Kiel, what is your intention for making her speak these words!?"

 

A child like Irys speaks so lightly of her imminent death, Luca could not bear to listen. Luca gripped her fist until blood dripped. Hearing Irys talk of her death felt worse than getting stabbed.

 

Their compassionate Family Head had given her best to support the Family since her parents' untimely demise. Her genius enabled them to survive, and she had helped so many, yet she could not even be spared from such a cruel fate.

 

Irys does not cry to appease her followers' emotions. But Luca had shed enough for Irys as well.

 

"I'm sorry, Luca… but don't get angry at Kiel. In fact, it fills me with joy to know that he cares enough to attend to my selfish desire to accompany a dying person… though I feel pain to know that you are forcing yourself to be with me every day."

 

Tak!

 

"I am not doing this out of pity, neither am I going here against my will. When I first met you, you could barely walk to the veranda, and now you can hardly lift a piece. You are blind and cannot see anything, so why is that even when light does not reflect in your eyes, I still see it shine brighter than mine ever could? I visit you to observe and understand… you are dying and growing weaker by the day, yet you smile." 

 

Tak!

 

"I smile simply because I am thankful for being able to live another day."

 

TAK!

 

Kiel made his final move, defeating Irys for the 337th time.

 

Yet, as he sat there, claiming yet another victory, Kiel was silent.

 

"…how fascinating… it appears that I have lost." 

 

"What do you mean? You cornered me without any more moves to make; what do you mean you lost? Are you alright in the head, my friend?" Irys asked, fearing Kiel had been afflicted with delusions.

 

"I am afraid so." Kiel answered, "I won in the game, I understand, but in everything else… it is sad to admit that I have lost."

 

Kiel could not believe it himself.

 

'To feel joy from simply living… how amusing.' Kiel lives as well, but not like Irys. He lived to keep breathing and remember what he has lost, but Irys lived for the sake of living.

 

Despite the wrong cards she was dealt with, she remains true to her desires. She's mature yet still spooled to her wishes, she is in pain, yet she refuses to cry for the sake of others.

 

Irys lives listening to her desires, yet she is without greed on all fronts. 

 

Kiel's lips curved up to a smile as his eyes became gentle when looking at Irys' stupefied expression. 

 

All of a sudden, Kiel got up from his chair and into Irys' bed, where he took her hand, holding it as gently as possible.

 

"Ki-Kiel… yo… you lecher, what are you doing?" Irys said as her pale face turned redder than a tomato, "Yo-you're moving a little too fast, aren't you?"

 

"Kiel! Be careful on how you approach the Family Head! She's fragile an—"

 

Luca raged, but Irys waved her to let him be.

 

Her smile alone was enough to stop Luca's temper.

 

Only after a while did Kiel snap out of his trance. He looked at Irys, who could barely stay still, and ignored her antics, "Can I ask you something, Irys?"

 

"Wha-what is it, my dear… friend?" she spoke, unable to even look him in the eyes.

 

"…do you want me to save you?"

 

***

 

Spirit Veins are different from meridians. 

 

If meridians exist in every living being. It could be used upon birth and transform even a normal housepet into an Immortal.

 

Spirit Veins are the same, but they cannot be accessed by all. Spirit Veins are hidden, and only a few are blessed with their Spirit Veins alive and working upon birth.

 

Many who fail to walk the path of cultivation often cannot find their Spirit Veins all their lives. It was seen as the epitome of despair in the eyes of mortals.

 

In reality, Spirit Veins didn’t do anything, but their presence gave practitioners the right to be called cultivators and create their path to supremacy. Before, Kiel was questioned why he wouldn't cultivate because he naturally possesses Spirit Veins.

 

In the eyes of others, Kiel was tossing away Heaven's gifts. Though in his eyes, Heaven was nothing but a mountain.

 

To those who saw him reject, the chance to cultivate seemed nothing less than a mockery of the dreams of those who could only raise their heads all their lives. In this world, to be someone who can walk the unique path, one must unearth their Spirit Veins.

 

Of course, with that in mind, there are diseases and complications only those with Spirit Veins can catch called Heavenly Restrictions.

 

Spring Tears is a common Heavenly Restriction that devours the Meridians, crippling a cultivator - or so this reality believes.

 

"Normally, the Spring Tears can be cured without any problem. The afflicted only needs to be a cultivator and pass a level, and while in the middle of raising his strength, the Physician would flush the vile energy out of the body.

 

"Most deaths result from the cultivator's inability to leave their lives on the Spirit Doctors. Their spirit energy would clash, and then, the vile poison would stick to the meridians and then to the spirit veins. This is when the Spring Tears become incurable. However, all of that is useless information regarding Irys' case because she was born with an infrequent complication called Heaven's Jeer. She's born with awakened Spirit Veins but has no meridians. This resulted in the Spirit Tears mutating and stuck itself on Irys' internal organs."

 

"Senior Brother, if I could be so bold, everyone in this room already knows this." Alchemist Jiang, who was called in the manor in the middle of the night, asked.

 

"Yes, I am aware that no one in this room is dumb enough to not know this. However, I am telling you this because I must drive home in your mind. If Irys is in this state because she has no meridians, then why haven't any of you just created one in the first place? If we can create an artificial Meridian, we can force Irys to cultivate, and with a single push through Martial Body Realm 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stages of refining the Organs, Bones, and Muscles, respectively, we can clean her off the Spring Tears and increasing her vitality, curing her in one fell swoop."

 

"Um… that's because it's impossible, Senior Brother. Meridians are gifts bestowed upon the heavens to Mortals. It cannot be replicated by us Mortals."

 

Luca and Irys, though with a heavy heart, nodded.

 

Creating a new set of meridians was unheard of, but Kiel begged to differ, "Mythical Weapons, Talismans, Formation Tablets/Plaques, Natal Weapons, what does all of these have in common?"

 

"They are all crafted using Runes?" Jiang mumbled.

 

"That's wrong — anyone else?"

 

"Me, me… I know." Irys enthusiastically raised her hand.

 

"Irys, what is it?"

 

"Is it that they need Spirit Energy to function?"

 

"That's correct; all of these need Spirit Energy to function. However, these things are all inanimate objects or simple diagrams; they weren't born with the ability to circulate Spirit Energy. If that is the case, shouldn't they shatter and break after a few uses? One could argue Natal Weapons are born from a Cultivator's Heart, so they are exempted, but what about the others? These treasures were made to circulate Spirit Energy and to do that, Runes called Dragon Lines are created to allow the flow of Spirit Energy. However, these so-called Dragon Lines have another name and are called Mock Meridian."

 

"Dra-dragon lines? Mock Meridians? Um, are you talking about Mythic Veins?" confused by his weird words, Luca confirmed.

 

"…yeah, whatever you want to call it."

 

Mocking Meridian or Mocking the Heavens, these were the names it was given upon its creation, back in the old reality, that is. In the end, Kiel does not care what it is called.

 

"Actually, I thought this was your plan all along, seeing you were acclimating Irys with that necklace filled with raw Life Blood Essence used in creating Mock Meridians, or in your words, Mythic Veins. Although I was wrong, you people are lucky, and this situation works to our advantage. It will hurt, and there's a chance that it will fail, leading to an early death; however, if you wish to be cured, this is the only way."

 

"I trust you, Kiel. Do what you must." Irys said without any hesitation.

 

"Okay, that's good. Then first I need to—" 

 

"Wa-wait a minute, Senior Brother, no one in this town, no, even in this region can create something like a Mythic Vein. Rune Scholars are far and few between. Moreover, I doubt anyone can recreate a whole meridian system! The Three Grand Paths of the Body, Soul, and Spirit cannot be replicated, and the 720 Minor Veins that connect to the 720 Apertures are so complicated that not even the premier researchers know of their secrets. If it was possible, then the title of the Divine Doctor must have been claimed by now! No one would fear being crippled, nor would anyone despair about their lacking ability! Besides, it is too risky; it might lead to the Family Head's death!" 

 

"Are you finished, Jiang?" Kiel asked Physician Jiang with his expression unchanging since the very beginning, "To say that it is impossible when it is the only chance your patient has in living, is that what a kind of Physician you are? You disappoint me, Jiang."

 

The old man's doubts were warranted, but Kiel could hardly care what he believed to be what was and wasn't possible, "The profession of Physicians is to defy logic, to defy the heavens to save those who are suffering. Nothing can be done if everyone is afraid of venturing into unknown methods. If the patient wishes to undergo the procedure to have a chance to live, you, the Physician, cannot cower. A physician must be steadfast, decisive, and, most of all, must be brave. Now, Jiang, are you a Physician?"

 

Is he a Physician? 

 

Old Jiang had been a physician for more than six decades. 

 

Is he a Physician? 

 

At the age of 97, he treated those who were hurt, often without compensation.

 

Is he a Physician? 

 

Despite his seniority in age, before the young man possessed vast knowledge, he bows his head to receive enlightenment and increase his skills.

 

Is he a Physician? 

 

"I am!"

 

"Good, then go to my home and pick up every single gift that Irys sent me against my will."

 

"Yes, senior brother!"

 

Jiang left in haste.

 

"Luca, please, assist Mr. Jiang in retrieving the gifts."

 

"Yes, Family Head."

 

Luca followed soon after.

 

The two were left in the room, and Irys looked over at Kiel's general direction. She was smirking.

 

"What is it?" Kiel asked, seeing Irys trying her best to stifle a laugh.

 

"Yihihi, nothing… it is just that... I found it funny when you lie. It is so unnatural." 

 

"Hooh, what part of it was the lie?"

 

"The speech about being a doctor. All of that was a lie, wasn't it?" Irys didn't need an answer for Kiel, "You didn't believe any of that, didn't you?"

 

"…I do, but my view on curing others is different, that's all. It is simply a skillful act, not a matter of conviction. It is simple if you have the skills, then do it, and if you do not… then let the skilled takeover. After all, conviction does not heal patients; it's skills." Kiel explained as he helped Irys to lie down.

 

"I see… I see… then, where did you get that speech from?"

 

"An Organ Dealer."

 

Kiel gave Irys one last look before leaving for the bathroom to sanitize himself, 'Not even once has she shown doubt.'

 

***

Two Hours before Midnight.

 

In one of the empty rooms in the Jura Manor, there was a young man surrounded by an assortment of three dozen gifts, ranging from mythical weapons to Spiritual Plants. When they were delivered to Kiel, they were still fresh and had not been processed, but they were individually jarred, labeled, and prepared when Luca and the others retrieved them from his home.

 

It shocked Luca and Jiang; it was as if Kiel had already planned on doing what he must long before he proposed the idea.

 

"Kiel, these gifts… have you been asking them from the Family Head so you can prepare to cure her?" Luca said to the boy she once saw as greedy.

 

"Don't read too much into it. The fact that I have all of them… is but a mere coincidence." He announced as he ground dried Serpent Head with the petals of a golden flame lotus.

 

"But Kiel, even with all this, we still have no one to craft the Mythic Veins. Even if we ask the Flower Smith, it will still take two months before he arrives." Luca's never-ending concerns had yet to quell the doubts in her mind.

 

Without turning around, Kiel simply raised his finger and wrote a symbol on the ground using blood. 

 

"Glow." A light appeared from the ground and illuminated the room with his command. However, without any spirit energy to support it, the symbol disappeared and dissipated.

 

"Yo-you're a Rune Scholar? Bu… but you don't even cultivate." Luca was in disbelief.

 

"Runes were originally created for the scholars to fight against cultivators. In the past, many Rune Scholars were but normal people using blood as a catalyst, and the world was their provider of spirit energy. As for Irys' treatment, I do not need spirit energy; using the power of that necklace is enough to create a Mythic Vein and transform it into a meridian." Kiel explained, "If I'm not wrong, that's Phoenix Blood, correct?"

 

"Ah, yes." nodded Luca.

 

"Then, that's good. Though Dragon Blood is also good, it is too overbearing and lacks the attribute of fire. Phoenix Blood is refined and elegant. It is easier to manipulate and is brimming with life. You already acclimated her body in the presence of the necklace to the point that she can no longer live without its presence; she's at the precipice. We only need a simple nudge to make her accept the necklace as her meridian." Kiel further noted.

 

'As I thought… he couldn't have been normal if he was from a family that could kill Qilins in mere moments.' 

 

Remembering what happened all those years ago, when the cerulean flames devoured a Qilin. From the family of Hidden Demons, Kiel was anything but ordinary.

 

Luca bit her quivering lips. She could not believe she was actually leaving the Family Head's fate to someone younger than Irys. 

 

BAM!

 

With blood coming escaping from her head, Luca knelt down before Kiel, tears from down from her face and hope welling up from her heart, "I, Luca, deeply regrets and apologies for how I acted before your honor… please… accept my heartfelt words…and save the Family Head. If you can cure the Family Head… the Jura Family will be forever indebted to you."

 

Giving her nothing but a glance, Kiel snorted, "Do not worry, I have given my words that I would cure Irys. It will happen as I will and stop bowing, just keep quiet of what I am capable of, and everything can be considered repaid."

 

His words were simple, yet it was enough to reinforce his intentions.

 

Kiel would save Irys even if the Heavens refused.

 

Luca left to prepare Irys, and Kiel finished his preparations.

 

Only one thing remained for him to accomplish, "Jiang, you're a Physician, so that must mean you are attuned to the attribute of life, correct? What element? Wood or Fire?"

 

"It would be fire, senior brother." Jiang flipped his wrist and 

 

"Fire… I see, then considering your age and stage of cultivation, you must have used the last decades in refining your attributes."

 

"Indeed, senior brother, though I am unable to break through the realm of true cultivators, the control of my attributes can match even those who are given the title of Spirit Doctors. I can even control any fire that is presented before me." Jiang proudly proclaimed.

 

"You're a perfect vessel then." 

 

"Wait, vessel?"

 

Kiel ignored him and continued, "I have an important task for you. This task will be hard, it will be painful, but it will also be something that you would find beneficial and give you an 80% chance of awakening the Spirit Veins in your soul." Finally, Kiel took his attention from the ingredients, "Jiang, I'm going to use your body as a human furnace."

 

Jiang did not hesitate to accept the proposition.

 

Thus, Kiel and Jiang continued their preparations for the next two hours. 

 

It was a simple task for Kiel, but it was grueling and painful for Jiang. But, with gritted teeth, he pushed on.

 

Midnight

 

"Young Master Kiel, we have completed the preparation, and the Family Head said she's prepared." Luca arrived with Irys in her arms.

 

Ignoring the change in his title, Kiel had Luca place Irys in the middle of a runic circle he drew with his own blood. There were no less than a hundred runic symbols on the ground, used to remove spirit energy from the world.

 

Feeding Irys a concoction of his own making, he whispered to her, "Now, close your eyes… if you feel pain, scream and flail as much as you would like. However, never are you allowed to let go of your desire to live because the moment you give up, your body will collapse, and you will die."

 

Irys smirked at his words, "I believe in you… don't worry, I'll live… and tomorrow, we will play another game."

 

"…we will." Kiel stepped away from Irys and pricked his fingers.

 

He drew out ten years' worth of lifespan from his blood essence and dropped it in the formation.

 

As the red light burst open, the door to the room was sealed, and the curtains were pulled down. 

 

Kiel used the formation to draw the raw blood essence from the necklace, "Jiang, are you ready?"

 

"Yes."

 

With gritted teeth, Jiang was struck on the chest with Kiel, and as the old man was blown away, a set of weaved Spirit Strings were drawn out from Jiang's body.

 

An adult's meridian system was taken away from Jiang, and while the old man coughed up blood, his body started feeling hot as all 720 apertures were forcibly opened.

 

Kiel ignored him and started the process of aligning the meridian system to Irys' smaller frame while simultaneously allowing the raw blood essence from the necklace to enter Irys' body through her pores.

 

'I can't believe it... he-he controlled 720 ends of the modeled Meridian System and used it to pry open her pores?' Jiang was in pain, but his disbelief knocked any other thought but awe in his mind.

 

Their screams echoed throughout the night without stop, yet no one seemed to have noticed, for another fight began east of the Town, as a rift opened nearby. Irys' scream was drowned as an unprecedented Blood Moon appeared after midnight, and eight celestial creations moved in the night sky.

 

To Kiel's luck, the screams of the people drowned thir own.

 

When the clash of steel and the gnawing of flesh ended, the crimson light from the Jura Family had subsided.

 

With a red gem embedded in her chest and black grime staining her robes, Irys had Kiel's head sleep on her lap. As she took a deep breath, Irys smiled, and after fighting the urge to touch Kiel's face, she placed her forehead on his as she whispered to him, "Thank you, my dear… friend."

 

That night, several monumental events happened all at the same time.

 

The first would be sighting a particular celestial movement after a year of silence.

 

A Blood Moon appeared after Midnight and caused all sorts of disasters across the lands.

 

The discovery of the root of the Blood Kings has been noted by an old man. 

 

Lastly, the first artificial meridian was completed in a no-named town.

 

Unbeknownst to anyone, this same night would be the exact moment one of the greatest Spirit Doctors would awaken his true potential.

 

These events would remain unknown throughout history and become nothing more than the night that marked the first appearance of the irregular Blood Moon.

 

As early as five in the morning, Kiel awakened on a bed he did not recognize.

 

'I feel asleep after the operation?' he thought with a sigh.

 

Sensing no evil presence, Kiel got out of his bed and readied himself for the day. When he stepped out of his room, he found no one, and like the manor was his own, he strutted out and arrived at a peculiar sight.

 

The 31 servants of the Jura Family stood in attention as he stepped out of the manor. Upon seeing him, they all went down on their knees; none of them said anything, but their trembling and sobbing were enough to tell what they wanted to convey.

 

Kiel walked past them, refusing a carriage and leaving the words, "If any of you wish to repay, none of you would speak of this incident to anyone."

 

Kiel left without asking for anything. He wished for this day to be buried in their memories, but his unselfish actions would only sow the feeling of appreciation.

 

***

 

40th visit.

 

A week had passed since Irys was healed.

 

Kiel lessened the frequency of his visit to allow Irys time to recuperate; however, after she regained enough strength to rebel, Irys started demanding Kiel's presence. 

 

By the third day she managed to get out of bed, Irys attempted to sneak out of her manor to meet her most cherished and only friend. If not for Luca, begging her to rest and using Kiel's "strict advice" as a weapon, Irys would have raised even more problems.

 

Due to this incident, however, Luca went to meet Kiel and begged him to visit Irys more frequently.

 

"I apologize, Young Master, but the Family Head refuses to listen to us since she started regaining her strength… if this goes on, the Mythic Veins are going to snap as you warned us."

 

Luca begged while Kiel was in the middle of watching Bula try to smash a boulder with its head.

 

With a sigh, Kiel stood up, "Very well, I should begin Jiang's lesson now, anyway. Also, did you give that old geezer what I asked of you?"

 

"I did; we gave him a suitable Soul Beast. He finished his cultivation yesterday and has reached the True Spirit Realm. But we apologize in advance, but the Family Head had a slip of the tongue and announced that you are the author of what you taught him a month ago and has been referring to you as his Master." 

 

"… can't help it. Irys is not one to keep a secret. Doesn't change the fact Jiang is more than capable of taking care of Irys now." 

 

With this, Kiel no longer needs to be troubled over Irys' treatment. It could be overseen by Physician Jiang as it had been before, and he'd be left alone playing Ascend with Irys the same as before, and just like he expected, by his 47th visit, Kiel was only playing Ascend with Irys.

 

Tak!

 

"Hey, when can I go outside? I want to play in the garden; oh, I also want to go to your place next time!" It had been a long time since Irys went anywhere other than a couple of steps away. 

 

It had been a year since he last stepped outside of her own home and had been itching to finally be free. However, her unstable state was not something Kiel would appreciate to be disturbed; thus, her confinement continues.

 

"Soon," Kiel said as he made his move.

 

Tak!

 

"You lose," Kiel announced.

 

"What!?" Irys yelped.

 

51st Visit

 

"How does it feel?"

 

Kiel accompanied Irys to touch the grass with her bare feet. After a year of confinement, Irys finally managed to bask under the sun outside the comfort of her room.

 

Irys burst into tears as she pounced on Kiel!

 

Her overwhelming joy led the lass to embrace her friend and savior while laughing and pulling him here and there. Other than when night comes, the two children were impossible to see without the other.

 

Whenever Kiel would come for his rations forced upon him and heal Irys, they would often indulge in Ascend, a board game similar to chess. 

 

Other than play, they would even spend their time drinking tea.

 

When Irys would sleep, Kiel would spend an afternoon teaching Jiang or observing the servants. He would listen to their conversations, learning how one must communicate with other people. 

 

It's a shame to say, but Kiel was not improving as fast as he would hope.

 

At Kiel's 59th visit, Irys grumbled as her cheeks puffed in frustration, and he gently lay on the ground and then, "Argh! I can't win against you, Kiel; how are you also so good at this?!"

 

The lass threw a tantrum without shame, throwing her arms and legs about like a big child.

 

Watching her, Kiel just said, "Do that, and you might snap your veins. It will hurt a lot you know."

 

"…" Irys quickly went to sit upright as she sighed deeply, "My body really is still weak, huh. When can I begin cultivating my best friend, Doctor Kiel?"

 

"Can you stop adding more and more titles to my name? I'll get mad."

 

"But I am doing this to get you mad at me. I've never heard you be mad."

 

"Ahem... grrr?" he growled.

 

Irys shook her head, "You suck at showing your emotions, Kiel. I'll just try to make you angry."

 

An exasperated sigh escaped Kiel, "What were you asking me again?" 

 

He gave up trying to please Irys' curiosity.

 

"Oh, about my cultivation. When can I begin? You said that once I strengthen my body, I'd be able to do more things, right?"

 

"Hmm, that gem in your heart has settled. So another half a year before it can settle into your body. Disturb it too much, and it might rebel and destroy your heart. If that happens, even I cannot save you."

 

Irys' pout returned, bigger than it had ever been.

 

"But… if I can't cultivate, then… I won't be able to play with you at your place."

 

"Why do you want to come to my place anyway? There is nothing there but fields of grass."

 

"But I wanted to see the First Sunrise this coming year…."

 

On the small hill south of the town, in the open meadows, there lies a house. 

 

His house was at the direct line of the sun when it rises from behind the mountains and forest, giving it an ethereal view.

 

This was especially so during the first sunrise of the year, the purple light of the world shines down upon the earth to cleanse the stench of blood and grief. It's a purifying experience.

 

It was a heavenly sight to behold at the small hill where Kiel's home was built on.

 

Kiel doesn't mind Irys going there, but there was one thing he had something in mind that needed to be cleared.

 

"But you're blind, how will y—"

 

"It's an excuse, you fool! Can you not even read that!?" Irys fumed, "You see, ladies, like myself, cannot just say we want to spend time with the man we like."

 

Yet, she blurted out everything... Kiel decided to teach Irys the Flow of Life.

 

From then on, not a single day was missed. Every day, Kiel would be brought to the manor, where he would spend the entirety of his afternoon with Irys.

 

He even started eating dinner there from time to time after Bula showed signs of intelligence, giving Kiel more time in his hands.

 

69th Visit

 

Tak!

 

"Kiel, how is your body? Are you well already?"

 

Tak!

 

"No, with my state and without any supplementary spiritual materials to raise my regenerative capability. And because I used external forces to cure you, the toll on my body is bigger than it should've. Considering all that, it should take another twenty years for me to fully recuperate."

 

Tak!

 

"Huh… I see." Irys began thinking.

 

Seeing a smile blossom on her face, Kiel sighed, "Don't bother giving me gifts. I will not accept them. I already have enough from the silver dew that Jiang gave me."

 

"Wha-Whaaaaat? Who told you I would give you gifts?"

 

“You might be blind, but I'm not. Don't do it, Irys." Kiel sternly reminded Irys as he made the final move.

 

That night, when he went home, Kiel found no gift in his home; a basket filled with medicinal ingredients that introduce regenerative capabilities found its way on his doorsteps. Pinned to the basket was a note that says, —Payment for Doctor Kiel—

 

"…well, if it is an exchange for the transaction then, I can use it on my own. Father and Mother should be delighted that I got a job." Kiel just let it go.

 

The following days, however, Kiel would relieve Jiang of his job of examining Irys' daily state.

 

When asked why, Kiel would simply answer, "It's to earn my keep."

 

Kiel could easily take advantage of Irys and the massive wealth behind her; however, he chose not to despite the overwhelming advantage it could give him. In the end, Kiel wishes to be as normal as possible.

 

Being a doctor and having two old coots as disciples were not something one could consider normal.

 

84th Visit

 

Back Garden — Jura Family — Dragon Pond

 

The coming days were all the same, they would play, tell stories, and Irys would complain how she wanted to grow stronger faster. However, one thing that had changed was Irys no longer stayed inside a single room.

 

With Kiel as her guide, she had him hold her hand to accompany her rehabilitation. 

 

Against Kiel's desires, he was forced to be Irys' guide and now has to hold her hands as he guides her around the house. She would let out a cheery laugh as they did so and would greet the servants that passed by.

 

"Are you sure you even need me? I can teach you a way to locate things with your hearing alone." Kiel asked Irys, who was assembling the board without a problem.

 

"Eeeeh, but we like seeing you two strolling around the manor every afternoon." It was Luca who complained, "Seeing the two Masters of the manor helps build trust."

 

"You are not a part of this conversation, Luca, and when did I become one of the Masters of the house?" 

 

"Huh? Are you being shy, Master Kiel? The Family Head already told me how you accepted her offer to marry into the family. Everyone in the manor knows how shy you are, so no one outside of Old Jiang knows." Luca sent Keil reassuring words. 

 

"Irys."

 

"Yes, my dear?

 

"Stop spreading lies."

 

"But it's not a lie; it's a prediction of the near future." Irys cheekily answered.

 

"...I'm going to play seriously today."

 

"What? No! Have mercy!"

 

Irys lost 43 times in under an hour that day.

 

97th Visit

 

Tak!

 

"Hmmm, your playstyle is awfully aggressive today. Did something good happen?"

 

Tak!

 

"A letter from my sister. She finally earned the right to write to me."

 

Tak!

 

"Oh, you mean the prodigy?"

 

"Hmm? You seem excited." Kiel said as he paused to think about his moves. 

 

"Of course, since you first mentioned her, I've been digging about her, and I found her exploits to be truly amazing, as I would expect of my future sister-in-law."

 

"!!!" rubbing his temple, Kiel could only breathe out an exasperated sigh, "I already told you I am not going to marry you, Irys."

 

Tak!

 

"Yihihi, you say that now, but we do not know about the future. Speaking of the future, I can't wait for later. I'll go to your place, and there, we can play until sunrise!" Irys had been looking forward to this day since she got her second chance in life.

 

Tak!

 

"This is also my first time going outside of the manor in such a long time, and this is your first time having someone over, is it not?" 

 

"Yes…."

 

Tak!

 

"…and you are beaten."

 

"What!? And I was so close to winning and getting to touch your face! That's not fair; you distracted me!"

 

"I did not distract you; I was simply more focused than you were. Also, it is getting late. I have to check if Bula has returned; she's been getting more and more… independent these days. I will see you at midnight. But, only step out after the Blood Moon."

 

"Okaaaay~"

 

Irys offered her hand for Kiel to take to see him out. He took it as if it was natural, and then, by the door, the two separated. 

 

Kiel decided to walk home.

 

Now that the Town Lord had killed the two forces that had been bothering his rule, there was no longer a need for Kiel to get a ride.

 

Irys' eyes were closed when she saw Kiel off. She stayed at the mansion doors, listening until Kiel's footsteps were no longer in range. She breathed out, and then, she smiled in anticipation, "Luca, have my robes been prepared? I’m going to leave him speechless! Yihihihi."

 

She began preparing for this midnight's meet-up as early as night settled. Though she could not see, Kiel could, and she planned on leaving him speechless! 

 

***

 

Midnight arrived, and Kiel had already set up the board and prepared what refreshment he could get his hands on. 

 

He used the spiritual plants given to him and made the best mix he could create. 

 

Sitting on a blanketed ground after finishing setting up the game.

 

He enjoyed the sight of the silver moon transitioning to crimson.

 

The skies and the moon changed as it always does every year.

 

"Though the Blood Moon is a pest, it is rather enjoyable to see." The thick veil of suffocating intent it gives was something no man should enjoy. But, Kiel does as it reminds him of many things, "Oh, it's over? And seeing there are no rifts, tonight will be peaceful."

 

The Blood Moon lasted no longer than ten minutes, and his first night of a year alone needed not to be spent killing Devils. Kiel did not leave. Instead, he waited in the same place to stay for Irys.

 

He promised to play with her until dawn. Thus, he waited.

 

He had been enjoying playing against Irys more and more these days. Though she has yet to win a single game, Irys was at least improving at an astonishing rate.

 

"Soon, she might even be able to beat me before the end of the first month this year," Kiel mumbled as he took a sip of tea.

 

Ten minutes

 

Thirty Minutes

 

An hour.

 

Time passed, and Irys had yet to arrive.

 

His brows creased; it was not like Irys to do something like this.

 

She might be able to keep quiet about secrets, but she's someone who sticks to her word. 

 

"She had been looking forward to this for some time now… did the Blood Moon affect her meridians?" Kiel thought to himself, and quickly, he went inside the house and went to get his things just in case something like this happened.

 

He already prepared grounded medicine and even prepared a speech in his head to silence Irys' grumbling. He may not be fully healed, but Kiel ran without hesitation.

 

His patient cannot die.

 

That was his only reason.

 

Nothing else.

 

Everything was professional.

 

There was no emotion involved.

 

However, arriving a hundred meters away from the Jura Family Manor… Kiel lost his hold of what he carried with him.

 

"Wha… what's happening?"

 

He said as he witnessed billowing smokes and a raging blaze engulfing the Jura Family Manor.

 

"Oh, Dear, the Jura Manor is burning? What happened?"

 

"I don't know, but I heard someone say they heard the sounds of fighting… maybe someone attacked the Jura Family? I don't know."

 

Kiel heard the people talking, and without him noticing, Kiel took off running and hurried to the manor. He avoided the onlookers and entered through the back.

 

Jumping over the thick hedge, Kiel arrived at the garden at the back, where a little tea table was set for the two to use during the afternoon games. He froze just behind the bushes as his eyes widened in shock from what he saw.

 

The well-kept walls were now stained with blood.

 

The glasses that were wiped every day smashed.

 

The manor was in tatters, and many of the servants lay on the floor, either dead or dying. 

 

Mr. Bracks, the coachman, had his head lopped off.

 

Rias was run over by a weapon.

 

Pinned on the wall by a spear was Hu, the gardener.

 

The Head Maid Luca lost an arm and had little to no more breath in her.

 

They were devastated and in the midst of all this was a group of ten masked men.

 

All eight masked men were wearing the same white demonic mask while the other two were wearing red and blue masks, respectively.

 

Kiel's eyes were locked to the Blue Demon. 

 

Not because of the odd floating ax with blue flames on his side, but because of what the Blue Demon held on his left hand. A small figure of a little girl wearing a blood tainted white robe crafted from the best materials. 

 

She was bloodied all over, her face wounded and bleeding from cuts and scarred from burns.

 

However, on her chest… there was something.

 

No, rather… there was nothing.

 

'Irys… the gem… it had forcefully ripped apart from her body….'

 

The only thing keeping her life had been forcibly taken from her.

 

Irys… was already about to die.

 

Rationality dictated Kiel to leave… Irys was but a patient to him after all and a person he took an interest in after seeing how she lived.

 

She was already about to die.

 

She gave him materials to heal his body.

 

She was convenient.

 

Nothing more.

 

Nothing less.

 

Her death… to him should mean nothing.

 

She's not even someone she should avenge.

 

Yes… she meant nothing more than…a passing entertainment.

 

Yet, Kiel's eyes were red.

 

Blood flowed from his eyes, mouth, and nose.

 

'Is everything really has to be rationalized?' Such a thought circled in his head.

 

Does everything have to be calculated?

 

Risks were part of living.

 

His fingers buried on his palms as he stopped himself from doing something that could endanger his life. His body was wrecked to the point it could not muster any spirit energy even if he wanted to.

 

Even if he wanted to help, he would die in the process.

 

Leave!

 

TURN AROUND!

 

NEVER LOOK BACK!

 

His body shouted at him, reminding him it was impossible! 

 

But—

 

—Irys turned in his direction.

 

She had heard his familiar breathing, his familiar heartbeat, nearby.

 

She turned to him and formed a smile and mouthed two words — thank you.

 

"I didn't want to return to this world…" the Blue Demon suddenly said, "…but I'm sorry, I needed this to save my son." 

 

The Blue Demon apologized to the silent Irys as she looked at the gem in his right hand.

 

SNAP

 

A clear echo.

 

The masked men turned their attention to the falling body of their comrade, whose head had been twisted beyond saving.

 

"What happened!?" shouted the Blue Demon holding Irys. 

 

"Brother-in-law! Lookout, above you!" shouted the Red Demon.

 

The Blue Demon felt a dense killing intent coming for him from above. When he raised his head to see what it was, he saw nothing more than a spectre, garbed in nothing but black robes and a pair of fierce eyes, peeking out from the small gap created from a hastily put together mask made from ripped cloth.

 

“Who are you!?”

 

The Blue Demon raised his ax to intercept the spectre, but it twisted its body and changed its trajectory from his head to his left arm holding the girl.

 

The spectre opened his right hand and summoned the Third Step of Palm Intent as he struck him, "Crush."

 

Crack!

 

The Blue Demon winced and groaned in pain as his left wrist was broken to bits. 

 

He lost his hold of the girl's body, and without missing a beat, using the Blue Demon's left shoulder as foothold, the spectre dove and caught Irys and retreated ten steps back.

 

"Kill him!" shouted the Red Demon as he prepared himself. Summoning Blood RedFlames on his fist and legs. Readying to fight against the spectre.

 

"No, stop!" the Blue Demon suddenly shouted, "Nobody, approach them!"

 

The masked men were just about to make a move when the Blue Demon stepped forward between them. The Blue Demon… he could see it, the aura of death, looming over them all.

 

"Don't get near him… he'll rip your throats out."

 

However, that was not the only reason why he called them all off. 

 

He could see it; there was a deep sadness in the specter's eyes amidst the killing intent.

 

'From his stature, he should be nothing more than a kid. Then… that kid… is this kid her friend?' The Blue Demon could not bring himself to attack them, seeing the spectre holding the girl.

 

Surrounded by enemies… Kiel could hardly care. In his arms was Irys' body, slowly beginning to wither away. Her vitality, depleting.

 

Only because of the Flow of Life did she remain alive. But without the gem, her end was clear. Irys would die.

 

"Kiel… I…." Irys' voice cracked as tears began to fall, "…I… I don't want to... stop playing… with you."

 

It was weak, but Kiel could hear her clearly, and holding her tightly in his embrace, Kiel whispered in her ears, "Don't worry… we'll get to play… I can heal you… I'll definitely heal you. Wait for me… please… Irys… wait for me…."

 

Kiel looked at the masked men and directly at the Blue Demon holding the gem. 

 

Whoosh! 

 

Kiel disappeared and pounced towards the Blue Demon with stifling killing intent. Like a beast out of his leash, Kielw as unleashed upon the world. His anger and hate froze the masked lackeys in fear. 

 

Their legs shook and felt like butter, and Kiel was like an arrow exploding his bostring heading directly towards the Blue Demon. His veins threatened to explode, and so did his recuperating meridians; however, none of them broke.

 

The overbearing palm intent was unlike the sharp and destructive spear intent, and though it was not as strong as what he would prefer, Kiel used it without hesitation against his better judgment. 

 

He struck out with his palm with all that he had, "Heaven and Hell Palms — Devastation."

 

The Blue Demon could only lift his left hand in urgency to block the attack.

 

His broken hand met with Kiel's left palm—

 

BOOM!

 

The ground underneath the Blue Demon cracked, and the entirety of his left arm to his shoulder was carved out. Shattered to nothing but a bloody mess.

 

“AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH~” the Blue Demon could not keep his voice down. The pain was too much even for him to handle. Destructive energy ran amok his body.

 

"Brother-in-Law!" the Red Demon shouted in urgency as he prepared to help the Blue Demon.

 

"No, stay back!" the Blue Demon shouted and threw the gem to the Red Demon, "Go and take that back! This guy is going to—"

 

Kiel already made his move as the Blue Demon spoke. He passed everyone and was already right in front of the Red Demon; he growled as he prepared his palms, "Heaven and Hell Pal—"

 

Kiel was already about to kill the Red Demon when he felt someone pull him back. The Blue Demon grabbed him by the ankles and violently pulled him back. Slamming Kiel on the ground!

 

BAM!

 

The Blue Demon wielded his ax with his remaining hand. Gathering his strength to kill the boy, "Brutal Fang!"

 

Ten fire snakes came out of the ax and flew towards his neck, Kiel wanted to get away, but the Blue Demon pinned him to the ground by stomping on his leg, “DIE!”  The Blue Demon roared.

 

Kiel crossed his arm, gathered his energy, and slapped the ground, "Heaven and Hell Palms — Explode."

 

The ground bursts, and from the billowing smoke comes rushing out Kiel, once again gunning for the head of the Red Demon. His eyes set on the gem he held. With blood gushing from his legs and mouth, Kiel abandoned rationality and was ready to risk it all.

 

Only Irys’ well-being was in his mind. No matter the sacrifice he was ready to give,.”GIVE IT BACK TO ME!” Kiel roared in animalistic rage.

 

“Persistent bastard.” the Red Demon was ready to 

 

“Don’t stop!” the Blue Demon’s voice stopped the Red Demon from slowing down. 

 

It was not just Kiel who was desperate. The Blue Demon once appeared right in front of the boy. His legs now bleeding from the bones sticking out, "You’re getting past me!"

 

The Blue Demon raised his axe ready to face the Devil’s Incarnate before him, “Don’t worry and go!”

 

The Red Demon and the others hesitated, but they followed their leader's orders and escaped using the roofs!

 

The Blue Demon clashed with Kiel.

 

“Stop interfering!” But Kiel blew the Blue Demon crashing into the manor. Kiel locked onto the Red Demon escaping to the rooftop, "You're not getting away, Heaven and Hell Palms — Grasp!"

 

A giant hand manifested out of thin air. 

 

Kiel's left arm reached its limits and finally exploded into a fountain of blood, but his eyes never wavered. It looked at the Red Demon and could feel the sensation of the gem. 

 

He wanted that gem! 

 

He needed that gem! 

 

But for the third time, the Blue Demon got in his way. Bursting from the manor, the Blue Demon appeared.

 

The blue ax transformed into a giant manifestation of an azure flame serpent and cleaved the manifested hand!

 

"Brother-in-law!"

 

"Don't look back!" 

 

Kiel jumped and tried to follow them like a mad hound, and the Blue Demon intercepted Kiel and kicked him back to the ground. 

 

Kiel sacrificed his destroyed left arm as he was buried on the ground. Kiel got out of the cracked ground as blood flowed out of his body. Before him, stood the Blue Demon, "Get… out of my way." Kiel demanded.

 

"You have to kill me first." the Blue Demon said. His body already destroyed far more than Kiel’s. But, something far more important than his life fueled his body.

 

Thus, Kiel went in for the kill and began the exchange to take their enemy's life, and after seven exchanges, an opening opened itself for the Blue Demon to take. 

 

The axe descended and took Kiel's right arm. The Blue Demon saw the chance to take Kiel’s head. He moved quickly, but it was Kiel who activated his trump card faster.

 

Chrono Rewind returned him a couple of seconds back.

 

Armed with the knowledge of the future, Kiel subtly shifted his body and avoided the axe and then plunged his right hand into the Blue Demon's chest, crushing his heart.

 

The Blue Demon staggered and laughed before falling to his knees. He looked at Kiel one last time and said, "...I'm sorry... I... had no other choice… I needed… the gem to save the one important to me."

 

The Blue Demon summoned a flame serpent and wrapped it around his face before breathing his last.

 

As he fell, his face became unrecognizable.

 

Kiel won... but he failed to retrieve the gem.

 

Kiel turned around from the burnt corpse of his enemy and walked back to Irys’s side. Empty handed. 

 

As he knelt down next to her, "Irys… I failed." He said with a steely tone.

 

"I… see…." Irys looked up at the night sky; no light could still reflect on her eyes.

 

Still, she clung to life… her vitality was strong thanks to the Flow of Life; if only Kiel retrieved the gem there was a strong chance that she would survive. But he failed her.

 

 "I'm sorry."

 

He apologized.

 

Irys was nearing her end, she was about to die, but again, a smile formed on her face, "Don't mind… it… I was lucky… enough to experience… the end… of another year."

 

She let out a bitter laugh, "Kiel… I… I feel cold…."

 

Irys raised both her hands, and Kiel moved to rest her in his arms. She snuggled to his chest, feeling his warmth… It was a first for her.

 

"Do not be sad, Kiel…." 

 

Weak, her voice had become too weak to even be considered speech.

 

Like but a passing whisper, it could barely be heard. Irys tried to raise her trembling hands,

 

Kiel took hers and held it tightly with his shaking body.

 

"I wanted… to play… some more… so I can win… and touch your face… and know what you look like." Irys smiled sadly.

 

Kiel guided her fingers to feel his face, allowing her to finally commit him to memory, "Here." he said.

 

And as her fingers touched his face, tears went down her face, as she smiled in delight, "…so… that's… how you look like… Kiel… I... want to… apologize…."

 

"What for?"

 

"All… those times… that I called for you… during the night… screaming that it hurts… most of them… were lies so you can visit me and sleep in the manor… because sometimes… I cannot sleep… without your presence… Do you hate me now… Kiel?"

 

"No," he answered sternly as before.

 

"…then… Can I tell you more? I... want to leave... with a clear... conscience...."

 

"Sure."

 

"I… like to speak your… name… when I'm alone… as I fear the darkness when I close my eyes to sleep… I speak your name to find solace…."

 

"Mm."

 

"When I feel scared… I imagine you… by my side… holding me… protecting me."

 

"…I see." 

 

"Your voice… calms me… your honesty fills me…." Irys smiled and slowly pulled Theo to her face; their foreheads touched as she whispered, "…can you call me… by my name?"

 

"…Irys."

 

"And in my end…. you are… still……. with me…………. thank….. you…………………." 

 

Her voice finally came to an end, and he sensed Irys' soul leaving her body for the Astral Path of Souls. Without any more pain and suffering, she could prance in the path as she heads to her next life.

 

Kiel retreated when footsteps and clamors sounded out from outside, but not before giving Luca first aid and taking the axe with him.

 

He left and went back home. He touched the door, but he paused, noticing the board he set earlier.

 

It remained untouched.

 

Kiel could still feel it... the sensation of Irys' dying body in his arms, her weak voice still echoing in his deepest psyche.

 

It remained with him.

 

He felt the board game with his hand and lifted a piece.

 

Tak!

 

He made a move, leaving blood on the piece.

 

Tak! 

 

And moved the opponent's piece himself.

 

Tak!

 

The echo of the wooden piece hitting the board echoed until dawn.

 

When the sun finally rose, and the game against himself finally ended.

 

 "I… I want to play another game."

 

Tak!

 

Kiel began rearranging the pieces for another game.

 

Life is like a leaf, it can be blown naturally by the wind or if plucked from the branches.

 

I hope you liked Irys' and Kiel's story.

 

Sorry for the Delay

10