Trials of Testament
216 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Draconia, Axis Mundis

The Palace was quieter than usual for dusk time, you would still have the bustle of palace workers clearing up from dinner time, end of day cleaning or shift change... but there was barely anyone roaming the great halls this evening, except for the number of Honour Guard on duty had at least doubled in most areas and were on high alert, warranted of course after the events of last night. The main entrance hall to the Palace was equally quiet, besides the six Honour Guards posted here compared to the usual two, one pair at either end, and another pair pacing up and down the hall's hundred foot length. One of the patrolling pair came to a stop though at a recognisable but faint crackling sound, looking around the hall. His partner also stopped and turned to see what he had halted for,
Guard 1: "What is it?"
Guard 2: "I hear... I'm not sure..."
Guard 3: "JUMP! INCOMING JUMP!" One of the other stationary Guards shouted from down the hall pointing behind the patrolling pair, sure enough the red and purple portal opened behind them a few feet away, but about six foot up in the air, the patrolling pair backed up a few paces and readied their weapons the remaining four sprinted down the hall to meet them.

A few more seconds passed after they took positions surrounding the Jump before the first individual passed through... Wrex, he faded into existence with a reverse 'Zapp' sound and fell the six foot to the ground, again, landing on his leg badly and causing him to fall to all fours.
Wrex: "Arghh fuck!..." trying to maintain his balance, then noticing his welcoming parting, six Honour Guards, bladed staffs pointed at him from all angles "...Whoa... easy fellas, Vice Admiral Wrex, Strike Team Fury, at ease... I have the rest of Fury about to come through with Princess Reikon." No sooner had he finished Reikon came through, fell to the ground as well, albeit a bit more gracefully than Wrex did, standing to one side before Skylen, Eishin and Clayne fell through and landed on the floor in a heap, Star Light walked through, uneasily walking over the pile of her team underneath her "Whoa" She said, sliding off the three to the opposite side to Reikon as the Jump closed.

Skylen: "Get. Off. Of. Me." he said with an embarrassed growl due to the situation, trying to pull himself out from under his other two team mates, they scrambled off while Reikon giggled at them and helped Skylen up.
Reikon: "You need to work on the target location a bit more my love, remember what I explained with the whisper." Skylen shot a look to her that not only said 'You don't say?' but quickly changed to 'Best keep quiet'. She got the hint though and bit her tongue.
Guard 2: "What is the meaning of this unannounced entrance Vice Admiral? Even if returning the Princess, this is unorthodox and the palace is on lock down, there are procedures..." one of the Guards asked, Wrex looked back to Reikon, who looked very guilty indeed, gave the smallest of nods to Wrex, he turned back to the Guard that questioned him.
Wrex: "I am well aware, my apologies, but we seek the council of her majesty immediately, it's important and urgent." The guards looked to each other, before the same Guard spoke again.
Guard 2: "Vice Admiral Wrex, will confirm this request with her majesty, but lockdown dictates a maximum of two visitors at a time currently"
Wrex: "Can you ask her Majesty to make an exception on this occasion?" the main Guard, turned and nodded to one of his colleagues who stepped away from the group a few dozen feet and could be seen starting a holographic call but the conversation was inaudible.

A Minute passed before the Guard ended the call and returned.
Guard 3: "The Queen has permitted an audience, but will only see three, including Princess Reikon." Wrex looked to Skylen, then back to Star Light, Eishin and Clayne,
Wrex: "Sorry guys, this is something we need to do... I don't think it will be an enjoyable experience anyway... I'll meet you all back at my apartment, Star Light will let you in". They all nodded in understanding and turned to leave through the main entrance under escort of a pair of the Guards who resumed their positions by the doors once they had closed.
Guard 1: "Follow me please" the Guard said to the trio and they did so. At the end of the hall, another two pairs of guards appeared to escort the through the palace, up several long flight of stairs before proceeding down another long hall and reached the door at the far end, yet another eight Honour Guards standing in front of the door
Guard 1: "Wait here please..." The main guard who had led them up here requested, stepped forwards to the Guards in front of the door "...Princess Reikon, Vice Admiral Wrex and Captain Skylen for their meeting with her Majesty". One of the Guards he spoke to turned to face the door, placed his hand on a holographic panel that appeared as soon as his hand approached it and a soft chime was heard. The transmitted voice of the queen returned with an abrupt "Come", that guard then entered and closed the door behind him.

A few seconds passed before that Guard reappeared,
Door Guard: "The Queen now only wishes to see Reikon initially, the Vice Admiral and Wrex must wait outside." Wrex and Skylen looked back at Reikon solemnly, fear now gripping her,
Reikon: "No I can't,... I want them to come in with me, I need them... for support." her voice quivering as she spoke.
Door Guard: "I'm sorry, Her Majesty was very clear on her instructions." The guard stated. She stepped past Wrex and Skylen hesitantly, visibly quivering as she did so, both doors opened and she was escorted inside by a pair of Guards and the doors were closed behind her. Wrex and Skylen remained still and motionless for the best part of half an hour, 'This is why I keep turning down Honour Guard position, too much standing around doing nothing... especially on this leg of mine' Wrex thought to himself.

Another five minutes of nothing went by before all of a sudden the gauntlets of six of the eight Guards on the door beeped away and they instantly ran into the room, Wrex and Skylen looked at each, worry all over Skylen's war torn face... Another painfully long minute went past before one Guard left the room and confronted Wrex and Skylen.
Skylen: "Is everything ok in there? Is Reikon ok?!" Skylen pleaded to know the answer, that Guard how ever completely ignored his question however,
Door Guard: "Vice Admiral, Captain, please proceed to the council chambers, you will be required there in 30 minutes". Realising he wasn't going to get an answer, he turned to Wrex, now with a pleading look on his face. Wrex frowned in return,
Wrex: "Come brother..." His said, placing a hand on his shoulder, respectful of Skylen's current condition, they turned to make for the council chambers.
__________

They waited outside the council chambers for a good hour and a quarter, Wrex pacing slowly up and down past the two motionless Guards stationed outside, Skylen sat on a bench, excessively fidgeting anxiously. Skylen looked up to Wrex as he paced away from him,
Skylen: "Brother... It's clear they know what has occurred... I know I haven't lived up to the 'family' that I should be recently... But I want you to know... I am grateful for everything you have ever done for me and for sticking by my side even when I didn't deserve it... But can you promise me one more thing? Can you try your best to help us? Reikon and myself?, I don't want to lose her Wrex." Wrex paused at the end of his pace, sighed and turned to face him,
Wrex: "I won't lie, you've been a pain in my ass recently..." Skylen looked depressingly down at the floor "...but what are brothers for..." He said with a bit of a forced smile, Skylen returned the forced smile "...and yes... I will do what I can brother, but I make no promises." Skylen nodded,
Skylen: "Thank you, it's probably more than I deserve"
Wrex: "Nonsense, you..." But Wrex was cut off by the chamber doors being opened and out stepped a Guard, looking straight ahead.
Guard: "Vice Admiral Wrex, Captain Skylen, you are now requested to join us".

They followed the guard into the room, Wrex had only been in this room once before, and it was exactly as he remembered... A vast, poorly lit, open space with a very high ceiling, one set of stadium style seating areas on either side of the room, currently empty. The only sources of light in the room were above the main podium area in the very centre of the room, between the stands, and also mounted on a raised 'V' shaped table, one for each of the eight council members that down either side of the outward facing 'V' but only illuminated their work space and torso, making their faces appear only as silhouettes. At the top of the 'V' sat the queen herself, shrouded in darkness, making her features almost unrecognisable. "Vice Admiral Wrex, could you kindly step forth to the podium please, Captain Skylen, take a seat in the witness box for now please" One of the female council members requested. Before they headed for the designated positions there was a small jingle of chains came from the back of the room, opposite end to council.
Skylen: "Reikon?!" He said loudly, shocked, there she stood, head hung low, seemingly illuminated red, purple and a hint of gold from the somewhat glowing armour of the six Honour Guards that guarded her... Chains binding her hands and feet together and a link between the two.

Skylen walked towards her with purpose, the Honour Guards at the front of her spotted his movement and braced, raising their staffs to a ready position. Wrex managed to speed hobble round in front of him and stand between them.
Wrex: "No... No, don't... don't do it" Wrex said, holding his brother back with a hand against his chest, Skylen looked between Wrex, back to Skylen then back to Wrex.
Skylen: "But..." he started,
Wrex: "No... if we have any chance of sorting this out we need to follow the system." Wrex said staring into Skylen's eyes... Skylen made one more take between Wrex, then Reikon then made a audibly loud huff of annoyance before turning to take his place in the witness stand, Wrex looked back to the Guards as they returned to their attentive position, noticing that one gave a nod of 'Thanks' which Wrex returned. He appreciated their position, they were under order, last thing they would want to do would be to potentially maim or kill one of their own, he limped to the podium and stood at attention.

The council, who had clearly been waiting to see what was to become of Wrex's and Skylen's little stand off,
Councillor 1: "Right, now that we are all settled..." one of the male councillors started, "...Vice Admiral Wrex... We have heard what Princess Reikon has had to say on the these unprecedented circumstances... what she has told us is... too shocking, to not be true... remarking that upon Captain Skylen's and your recommendations to turn herself in and tell the truth... a commendable action which could have potentially back fired on yourselves for withholding vital information on the war effort and could in itself be classed as an act of treason. Did you not consider this at the time of making this decision?"
Wrex: "I did".
Councillor 1: "May we ask why you decided to take that chance?".
Wrex: "There are many reasons in my mind for and against my decision, I had to weigh them all up and make a decision in a small amount of time".
Councillor 1: "Well, please list a few examples".
Wrex: "I am Vanguard, I have a duty to protect the throne and technically speaking being a potential candidate for the Throne which also at the time was my mission objective, Princess Reikon required protection, and my orders were to return her alive to the Palace, my objective was completed."
Councillor 1: "That's one reason..."
Wrex: "Another reason is that I strongly believe and count my Strike Team members as family, and by extension of that fact, due to Skylen's and Reikon's relationship, she too is counted as family to me"

There was a slight shuffle from some of the council members, another male now spoke to Wrex,
Councillor 2: "Do you believe that potentially badly influenced your judgement in the matter?"
Wrex: "Influenced yes, but not in a bad way". There was a long pause before anyone spoke again.
Councillor 3: "Vice Admiral Wrex..." One of the females addressed him, "...Princess Reikon has been honest and expressed her reasons and beliefs behind her actions, but tell me, do you share her views?"
Wrex: "I wasn't present when she explained her views, can you please define?"
Councillor 3: "Princess Reikon made it clear that she disapproves of the system and the inner workings of her majesty and her council currently in place in the way we conduct business for everyday life of this planet. And that the every day life, and I quote in her words; 'Times have changed and that the current throne and council are stuck in the past and unable to accept change'... Do you agree?" Wrex didn't like this question... this was putting him on the spot too much.
Wrex: "My honest answer, I don't believe that can be answered with a simple yes or no." Wrex said with as much confidence he could muster, but his answer still caused many of the council to shift in their seats again and even the silent Queen to sit forwards slightly. One of the males that spoke earlier leant forwards to question again.

Councillor 2: "Vice Admiral Wrex, you are one of our most distinguished veterans, you have accomplished much in your career that others struggle to do in their life time, to be brutally honest, the fact that show a lack of faith in your leaders is... troubling... Let me be blunt... What are we missing?"
'Fuck it, I've started now, might as well get it out' Wrex thought to him self before answering.

Wrex: "Today was a fine example of how... 'out of date", for the want of a better phrase, that our ways are, our intel was a shambles, Strike Teams are meant to be the best of the best, and while waiting to enter these chambers I had reports back from the Teams leaving Mu, I lost four teams today, Hell, Guardian, Storm and Inferno, all KIA, with many more injured including members of my own team and myself. They had weapons based on our those used on our ships, but portable and used by hand-" He was cut off by another female councillor which until now had no input.

Councillor 4: "We too have heard the preliminary reports of the events that occurred in Mu and the performance of you Strike Teams, or there lack of..." Skylen abruptly stood and made a slight growl. "...but these findings are not the purpose of this hearing and therefore are irrelevant." The councillor finished. Wrex shook his head in disapproval, trying to ignore the complete disregard to the lives of his fellow Strike Teams,

Wrex: "Noble Councillors, My Queen, with all due respect it has everything to do with..."

Councillor 4: "Vice Admiral Wrex, if you have nothing else to add of any importance to this hearing then you are relieved from the podium."

Skylen: "When you say, 'of any importance', you mean, 'nothing of any interest' to you." Skylen interjected.

Reikon: "I agree!" She shouted from the back of the room.

Councillor 4: "The council does not recognise any input from the Princess or the Captain at this time." The same councillor snapped back, Wrex turned to leave, but was sure to interject one last thing,

Wrex: "You are showing a primary example of what we are trying to prove to you." and started to aim for the door to leave before Skylen left the witness stand to stop him.

Skylen: "You're leaving?" standing in his way.

Wrex: "I've said what I can brother" Wrex replied, not looking at him and trying to step around him.

Skylen grabbed his arm, stopping him leaving,

Skylen: "You haven't even tried to help us yet." he said with a hint of a growl to each word.

Wrex: "You've heard them yourself brother, they're not interested in what I have to say."

Skylen: "You're betraying us..." He said growling even more, Wrex yanked his arm away.

Wrex: "I've done what I can! That was all I promised!" he said again and again tried to leave, Skylen grabbed his shoulder as he passed and spun Wrex around which strained his leg again and cause him to hiss in pain, Skylen remembered his injury and swiping his tail at Wrex's bad leg, there was a loud snapping noise and Wrex Roared in pain and collapsed to the floor, two guards that were standing by the Councillor's table had moved in and grabbed Skylen and pulled him away from Wrex.

Skylen: "Unhand me!" He shouted and he managed to throw one of the Guards off of him which caused more Guards to come over to assist. Reikon, who had been watching the events unfurl,

Reikon: "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" she shouted trying to step forwards but the Guards held her still by her shoulders. She looked around at her guards who were focused on the ruckus happening in front of them, closed her eyes and concentrated her energy, blowing a shock wave of energy away from herself sending the guards around her flying to the walls and she only took two steps before she froze solid on the spot except for her head.

Wrex who was trying to drag himself away from the scuffle was shocked at Reikon's sudden outburst. Skylen was growling in annoyance being pinned down by seven Honour Guards,

Skylen: "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER?" He shouted, Wrex followed his line of sight to see the queen stood at the head of the table, holding her clenched hand out at Reikon. She spoke now for the first time, 

Mother: "I've heard enough!... For your crimes, consisting of but not limited to: Conspiring with forces against the throne!, Endangering the people of Draconia and by consequence of your actions, have lead to the deaths of thousands and Conspiring to assassinate Princess Arisu... Reikon..."
Reikon: "Mother... Please... I..." Reikon started pleading while sobbing but her mother ignored her and carried on,
Queen: "...I had hoped I brought you up better than this, but these actions are unacceptable and unforgivable. You are my daughter, but only in blood, you have no place in my heart..."
Reikon: "Mother please... I love you! I'm so sorry!"
Queen: "...I hereby remove the powers you had gifted to you and I, HEREBY, CAST YOU OUT!"

She drew her hand back to her chest then threw her had back out, as if throwing an invisible object, the result seemed to send Reikon into slow motion, red and purple glowing misty waves flew toward her. The first wave hit her body and knocked her back, the second wave hit and it was like bits of her skin and flesh were shredded off an vanished into dust, third wave ate away at her form more so, so did the third, fourth and fifth waves, each knocking her more off her feet than the last and each wiping out more of her body than the last, wings, tail, long neck and long face, all gone, and her body, although blurry from a fog of red and purple mist, was now pale in colour and much smaller, small enough for her chains and bracelet to fall off her to the floor on the sixth wave. She caught up with present time on the seventh wave but was simultaneously sent backwards through a 'Jump' which immediately closed behind her.

Skylen: "NO! NOOO! SHE WAS YOUR DAUGHTER! YOUR OWN FLESH AN BLOOD! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" he screamed, and for the first time ever Wrex could think, he thought he could see Skylen's eyes welled up with tears. Wrex looked up to the queen who looked dazed, almost like she momentarily lost conciseness, she tried to brace herself on the table but started falling, the two councillors to either side of her jumped up and just about caught her and managed to carefully sit he down on her chair,
Queen: "I'm fine, I'm fine" she said, her voice sounding uneasy.

Another councillor spoke after checking the queen's condition,
Councillor 5: "Captain Skylen... For the crimes that were committed by the Princess Reikon, the punishment is usually the death penalty, banishment should be considered a blessing." Skylen seemed to find new strength suddenly and managed to pull himself free of the Honour Guards, flipping one to a wall, punching another square in the face and throwing another to the floor as he stood up and made a charge for the councillor's table with a rageful roar. The other Honour Guards in the room were already charging at him, Skylen side stepped the first one who attempted a tackle, then ducked under the second but missed a third coming from behind and was brought down to the floor hard, it wasn't long before there were ten Guards holding him down, much to his growls of annoyance.

Councillor 4: "Skylen!..." The same councillor that had no regard for the lost Strike Teams lives earlier spoke again "...I hereby remove you Strike Team member status and revert you back to Warrior class! Should you ever wish to earn that role back and carry the rank of Captain again you will have to work for it all over again! Your relationship with the Princess has made you arrogant and disrespectful, it seems you need to relearn you place! This hearing is adjourned, guards, remove him from our sight! And see that Wrex receives medical attention." The councillors all stood and again the two closest to the queen assisted in he movement. Skylen was hoisted from the floor, kicking and thrashing and was carried past where Wrex was laying.
Wrex: "Brother... Please, make this easier on yourself, we can appeal if you compl-"
Skylen: "DON'T YOU DARE EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN!, YOU ARE NO BROTHER OF MINE! IF YOU DO, I WILL KILL YOU!, YOU UNDERSTAND?! YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A COWARD! WEAK!" Skylen hissed and growled at Wrex as he was carried away.

Wrex simply laid there on a floor, gob smacked, somewhat heart broken and the pain in his leg now a dull ache. He looked down at it, even in his armour it was obvious it was broken... Must have been fractured all day and Skylen just finished it off... he day dreamed while staring at it, just replaying the last five minutes of what happened in his mind, Just like that, he lost a friend and a brother,... and just like that, his team and his family, were no longer whole. He was brought back to reality as an Honour Guard stepped in front of him and a helping hand offered in front of his face.
"Lets get you to the medical centre". The problem with Honour Guards, in their armour they all looked exactly the same, but he recognised his mother's voice instantly.
Wrex: "I'm so sorry, I let this family tear itself apart".
"Far from it my son, you did all you could, and I am still proud of you, don't ever think anything different".

4