Arc I – Chapter 37: Role Reversal
200 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The next day, we returned to the hunting grounds and repeated the same plan. However, just like at the end of the previous day, only the normal goblins came.

Quickly running towards us, I saw Usagi attracting around thirty goblins. Although some time ago this number would have been a problem, we could easily handle this amount now.

When Usagi passed by the trees where we were hiding, the targets she brought with her followed. As always, we eliminated the first ones to appear with clean and swift strikes.

As the first ones fell, those behind them started screaming hysterically while continuing to approach us. Due to their large numbers, it would be dangerous for us to face them head-on.

"Do as we always do," I shouted, and turning my back to the goblins, I started running.

Although I had grown stronger, I was not foolish enough to just dive into the midst of them. If they all ganged up on any one of us, even with the level difference, it would still be fatal.

At my command, Kurama, Rin, and Usagi also started running. The plan was to fight while running.

This was a strategy I learned from observing the giant wolf fighting against the goblins. It used its superior speed to run across the battlefield and attacked whenever an opportunity arose.

With Rin and me taking the lead, Kurama and Usagi split up and sneaked through the bushes, camouflaged by the forest vegetation. They were following us, waiting for the right moment to strike.

After a few seconds of frantic running, when I looked back, I noticed that the faster goblins had already distanced themselves from the slower ones. There were seven of them, a number we could easily handle.

"Now!" I shouted.

Coming to an abrupt stop, I turned around to face the approaching goblins. Rin did the same by my side.

Fortunately, goblins have no fear, and all they think about is attacking their enemies with everything they have. That makes things easier.

After stopping, I just tightly gripped the One-Cut Sword, and when the goblin attacked me with its club, I easily dodged and cut off its head.

Doing almost the same as me, Rin also easily knocked down her opponent with her club.

While Rin and I started to deal with the remaining five and attracted the rest's attention, Kurama and Usagi seized the opportunity. Emerging from the flanks, they attacked the goblins trailing behind. As they were slightly scattered, Usagi and Kurama easily took down one target each.

After the successful ambush, the two fled in opposite directions, and thanks to that, the goblins' attention was divided, making them more dispersed as they pursued the two.

By that time, Rin and I had finished eliminating the five that were closest to us and moved on to the scattered goblins.

Although their number exceeded twenty, the distance between them gave us the chance to completely eliminate them.

***

"Rest for a bit," I said, exhaustion evident in my voice. "In a few minutes, we'll repeat the plan."

Or at least, that was the intention, but Usagi, restless, approached my legs, followed shortly after by Kurama, who also seemed apprehensive.

"Damn, this is definitely not good!" I cursed, feeling the tension in the air rise.

The heightened senses of these two are a warning that I cannot ignore.

"Let's fall back!" I shouted.

Ignoring the bodies of the fallen goblins, we ran at full speed in the opposite direction of their lair. But I could hear the rustling of bushes behind us. They were close.

Looking over my shoulder, I caught a glimpse of a skinny goblin quickly overtaking us. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only one; more of them passed us from both sides, seemingly trying to cut off our escape route.

"It seems it's already too late to run..."

For a brief moment, I considered climbing a tree, but given their speed and how they were coordinating to catch us, we wouldn't have that opportunity.

Surrounding their enemies in this way is not typical behavior for goblins... Unless... Could this be the doing of the goblin lord?

Regardless, the situation is dire. In terms of speed, only Usagi and perhaps Kurama would be able to escape easily. As for Rin and me, it was a different story. We had no choice but to try and fight.

If a standstill fight against the normal goblins would be extremely disadvantageous for us, against these evolved goblins, it would be even worse.

"Let's fight," I shouted. "Don't be intimidated, just keep running and do as we always do."

The tension among all of us grew as the goblins closed in on us, and we prepared for the imminent confrontation.

As we advanced through the forest, I could hear the rustling of leaves growing louder. The number of goblins was increasing rapidly, and I knew the situation was becoming dangerous.

Suddenly, they started appearing all around us. With no time to count, I could only guess that there were at least twenty, not including the three that appeared to block our path.

It seems I underestimated their intelligence.

With the intention of taking the lead and clearing a path, I activated my body reinforcement and firmly gripped the One-Cut Sword. But before I could do anything, Rin took the lead.

Using Sprint, she shot toward the goblins, not giving any of them a chance to react, instantly killing one with her club.

Trying to take advantage of the opportunity, the second goblin hunter jumped at her but was quickly intercepted by Kurama, who bit its neck.

Having dealt an instant kill, Kurama immediately released the goblin's body before being struck by the claws of the third. But like roaches, they kept appearing, one after another.

As if waiting for the moment, another goblin leaped out of the bushes, charging towards Kurama. I prepared to throw my sword like a spear, but Usagi lunged forward, impaling it with her horn.

Having gotten close enough, I struck down the first goblin that attempted to hit Kurama, and with my free hand, I grabbed Usagi, who was still stuck to the chest of the goblin, and kept running.

Although she was doing well in combat, this was a disadvantage of her skill. When she uses her horn, there is a delay in retracting it after the attack.

As we fled, the quantity of enemies and their speed made their attacks increasingly frenzied. Initially, I intended for Kurama and Usagi to try to lure some of the goblins to reduce their numbers.

But when they tried, the goblins simply ignored them and continued to chase Rin and me.

Fortunately, we had experience dealing with normal goblins in a similar situation, and we were handling the situation as best as we could. However, this wouldn't last forever.

The hunter goblins were on a completely different level, their attacks were much more dangerous and cunning than those of the regular goblins. Despite our attempts to counter-attack, they were becoming increasingly cautious in their movements and could sometimes even avoid fatal blows.

While we were surrounded on all sides, our speed was significantly reduced, allowing the regular goblins to get close to our rear. They were more numerous than the hunter goblins and were closing in at an alarming pace.

My initial suspicions were soon confirmed when I saw a goblin lord wielding a club and leading the horde.

As the attacks intensified, one thing became obvious: most of the attacks were focused on Rin. This might have been because they considered her the strongest or simply an order from the goblin lord.

Faced with the onslaught of attacks, although Rin managed to dodge almost all of them, some still grazed her lightly. But this also presented an opportunity, as it made them more predictable and easier to intercept.

Despite being able to defend ourselves for a while, I knew it wouldn't last long. With each passing second, more and more goblins arrived, overwhelming Rin.

Due to her focus being entirely on defense, Rin couldn't pay attention to the path and ended up tripping over the root of a tree. Although she didn't fall, the momentary loss of balance made her lean forward.

This was the perfect moment for the goblins to strike.

I was behind Rin when a hunter goblin stealthily approached her, its sharp claws aimed at her neck.

I knew I couldn't let it get close in a situation like this, so I quickly moved forward. Extending my arm holding the One-Cut Sword, I pierced its head before it could cause any harm.

Meanwhile, Kurama and Usagi were fighting multiple goblins at the back, two of them managed to go unnoticed and were heading towards Rin. To make matters worse, two more were coming from the front.

Hoping that Rin could handle the ones coming from the front, I immediately half-turned backwards, cutting down the two goblins.

Simultaneously, I sensed that Rin had taken care of the two coming from the front, and I breathed a sigh of relief internally.

Unfortunately, this relief only lasted until I realized that goblins are much more dangerous when they work together.

With my back to Rin, I saw through my peripheral vision on the right side that the goblin lord was preparing a fatal strike. He was aiming for a blind spot on the back side of Rin's head.

By the way his arm muscles were tensed, he was using Heavy Blow. As this skill is Rin's trademark, I knew all too well what would happen if he hit her. Not even the potion would be able to save her from the world of the dead.

Desperately, I tried to warn her through our connection, but I knew it was too late. The avalanche of goblins coming from the front would prevent her from reacting in time. To make matters worse, Usagi's reaction alerted me that another fatal blow was coming towards Rin from my right side.

Shit! Was this just a coincidence or was it planned by this bastard goblin?

Although I wanted to keep calm, my mind descended into despair.

The possibility of Rin dying made my heartbeat race to its limit.

With no time to think of a better solution, I leaped into the space between Rin and the goblin lord, promptly preparing to fight for her life.

I spun the upper part of my body and focused all my power into my right hand, which held the sword. With a precise movement, I hurled it directly at the hunter goblin that was aiming for Rin's head with its claws.

Having done that, all I could do to deal with the goblin lord was sacrifice my left arm in an attempt to defend against the side swing aimed at Rin's nape.

Anticipating what was to come, I closed my eyes and then felt a strong impact that made my brain tremble.

A pitiful scream escaped my mouth, almost obscuring the sound of something breaking as I was thrown towards the goblins in front of Rin.

After rolling on the ground for a few moments, I felt my back hit something hard, probably a tree.

Lying on the ground, I tried to stay conscious, but my vision began to darken.

At that moment, a wave of despair washed over me.

Is this where it all ends?

 

If you're curious about what happens in the next chapters, you can check out my Patreon.

Of course, if you simply want to support my writing, you are also welcome =D

8