Arc I – Chapter 45: Carnage 
239 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

After Rin ignored my words, I knew it was only a matter of time before she was completely surrounded by goblins. Nevertheless, she swung her club wildly.

Anyone within her reach would have their blood spilled and lose the light in their eyes. But due to their large numbers, she was soon overwhelmed with attacks from all sides.

Using one hand to protect her neck, Rin seemed unfazed by the overwhelming numbers piling up on her. At that moment, I also noticed that despite the attacks she was enduring, she was hardly getting injured, and even the few wounds she received were slowly healing.

She's probably so confident because of her skills, Iron Skin and Self-Healing.

"Get out of the way, you damn green-skinned bastards!" I shouted as I cleared a path, cutting down the goblins in front of me.

Even though Rin was able to withstand the attacks, it still made me anxious. To increase her durability, I used Status Enhancement on her to apply the endurance boost.

While I don't know precisely what the endurance boost does, I believe it's the best option for the time being.

While regeneration would also be a good option to help her wounds heal, her Self-Healing is probably enough.

Following my lead, Usagi and Kurama were also taking down any goblins they encountered.

At that moment, Kurama used his Fiery Claws to their fullest potential. Since it consumed a lot of mana, he usually used minimal power, merely allowing his claws to grow slightly and turn red.

But now, each of his claws resembled a crimson razor as his front paws were engulfed in flames. Every time he attacked, a goblin fell dead.

As for Usagi, due to her small size, she avoided direct combat. Opting for hit-and-run tactics, she struck from the flanks. Though not as strong as Kurama, she was showing formidable performance.

With many goblins falling at our hands, part of Rin's attention was diverted to us. Unlike her, it would be dangerous if Kurama and Usagi were surrounded by the numerous attackers.

"Fall back and focus on attacking from the flanks!" I ordered.

Following my orders, Kurama and Usagi retreated. As for myself, I have confidence in enduring even more attacks than Rin.

Although none of my first three tamed monsters attacked me with all their strength, the new ones didn't have that problem.

Reluctantly, Kuku obeyed my command and launched a few attacks against me. I started the test with three attacks; one weak, one with a bit more strength, and one with her full force. All aimed at the center of my armor.

In the first one, I hardly felt anything, and my body only experienced a slight imbalance. In the second one, I felt the strong impact on my armor, causing me to lose balance, but no pain. In the last one, where Kuku even gained momentum and used her claws to attack, even though I was thrown backward and felt a bit dizzy, I suffered no physical damage.

Strangely, even though the armor only covered the chest area, it provided protection for the whole body. However, the protection was lesser on the extremities like feet and arms. During the tests, when I crossed my arms to receive a full attack from Kuku, I felt some pain in my arm and even suffered a small scratch.

Since Kuku had much more strength than any of these goblins, I had the confidence that I could defeat them all by myself. But still, there's no need to choose a potentially dangerous method.

However, due to Rin's recklessness, I have no choice. Speaking of her, the tests were not conducted in her presence because if she saw it, I felt she would probably attack Kuku.

As the goblins swarmed over me, I mercilessly sliced through them while being bathed in their blood. Even with difficulty in moving due to the numbers on top of me, when I activated Super Strength and speed reinforcement, I could move without any problems.

Throughout the battle, my attacks were becoming more precise and refined. Strikes that used to cut through two or three now cut through four or five. Not only that, even unconsciously, I was starting to dodge some of the attacks.

I had no doubt that this was due to combatant. The truth is, I expected nothing less from the skill that bears the same name as the title given to the seven warriors who fought in the great war thousands of years ago.

After gaining Reinforced Memory, I was using it to the fullest and discovered something interesting. The information that Shadow-san placed in my head, which normally only appeared at certain moments, could now be accessed with Reinforced Memory.

The information about the combatants came up when I was searching for the names of my skills. The Combatants were seven warriors who possessed the divine protections of the seven main gods. They were unparalleled warriors and became the pillars of support for humanity.

If my skill also had such a name, it was expected to be impressive as well.

While One-Cut Sword danced in my hands, I felt like I was in a trance, gliding from side to side as I sliced through the goblins mercilessly. There were so many fallen goblins at my feet that I had to change my location to continue fighting without stepping on their bodies.

My sword proficiency was increasing to the point that the goblins couldn't even touch me before they turned into pieces of sliced meat.

While I was at it, a shrill scream from a goblin made all the others change their focus and come to attack me. Even those who were against Rin or trying to strike Kurama and Usagi ran in my direction.

Most likely, that scream was an order from a goblin lord. Normally, I would be frightened, but at the moment, my heart was calm, and I was very confident.

"Bring it on!" I shouted, challenging the goblins.

But then, a chilling scream made all the goblins hesitate as they stopped moving. Seconds later, they screamed violently and started running again, but this time not in my direction.

All of them, without exception, were migrating towards Rin.

The reason for this was her scream. With a single scream, she used her two skills, Cry of Intimidation and Cry of Provocation.

When I looked at Rin in the center of the crowd, I noticed that the Burning Heart skill that she couldn't use before began to show its full potential.

Even while using Iron Skin, her speed no longer seemed to be affected, or rather, she seemed even faster. Since the red aura of the skill increased her defense, she wasn't taking any damage.

When a monster was affected by Rin's provocation, unless they received considerable damage, it took them some time to get rid of it. And of course, I wouldn't miss this opportunity.

"Attack with all you've got!" I shouted with all the air in my lungs.

Under my command, Usagi and Kurama began quickly reducing the number of goblins that now ignored us. Since both of them could deliver instant kill blows to the goblins, they were having an easy time.

As the battle was relatively secure, I called for Kuku and Han to join us and attack. Since Hagu wouldn't make much difference, being only level 4, I had him monitor the surroundings to ensure we wouldn't be caught off guard.

While we were engaged in combat, some patrol groups from the surrounding area approached the place where we were. But thanks to Rin always drawing their attention, it was easy.

In the end, we managed to kill them all. Due to their lack of fear, the goblins didn't even attempt to flee. In total, I believe we killed around 300 of them.

***

"That was quite easy," I commented to myself as I wiped the blood off my face.

If I were a reader, I would probably be disappointed that there was no suspense or a real sense of danger. It seems like I'm starting to go down the easy route, and well, the truth is, I prefer it to be easy anyway.

"Let's go home, let's have a good restful afternoon," I said to the others.

There was still plenty of time until evening, but I decided it was time to return. Although Rin was trying to portray a sense of strength and confidence in front of me, I noticed that she was quite exhausted. And I also intended to use the afternoon to plan a good punishment for her for not following the plan.

Before leaving, I made sure to store the goblin corpses to collect their magic stones later.

 

 

If you're curious about what happens in the next chapters, you can check out my Patreon.

Of course, if you simply want to support my writing and motivate me to write more, you are also welcome =D

Feel free to take a look using Patreon's 7-day free trial period.

12