Arc I – Chapter 48: Goblin Pursuit
204 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Do you all understand the plan?" I asked the group in front of me.

While everyone nodded, Rin had a pouting and unsatisfied expression on her face. Due to the changes she underwent after evolving, even when she puckers her lips and squints her eyes, she still looks quite cute.

Although everything ended well yesterday, Rin being like this may seem strange, but the reason is simple. Since Rin's crazy strategy had worked, I planned to use it again.

The instant I said that, her expression immediately changed, and she looked at me with a look that said she was unfairly treated for no reason.

Of course, I'm not a hypocrite to reprimand her yesterday and then send her again today. Furthermore, I wouldn't be able to ask her to do something that would put her in danger. I'm only doing this because I have insurance that gives me confidence, and that insurance is my armor.

Just to make sure it would work, I had her use it in advance, and we attacked her. The result was the same as when I used it. Combining that with Iron Skin, her safety is guaranteed.

Ideally, I would like to use the armor myself and dive into the midst of the goblins while slashing them, but that would be impossible. I'm sure the moment I got surrounded, Rin would use Cry of Provocation to lure the goblins towards her.

"Come on, there's no need to be angry," I said as I approached her and placed my hands on her cheeks. "I've already explained it to you. Now it's different, you're 100% safe."

Ignoring me, she turned her face away. "Humph!"

My eyes widened involuntarily when I heard a sound coming from Rin.

"Oh oh oh! What was that?! Did you speak?!" I asked excitedly, pulling her face towards mine.

However, she averted her gaze again. "Humph!"

"Hey hey, you did it again!"

Completely ignoring me, Rin didn't make another sound, which made me a little sad. "Humph" may not be exactly a word, but at least it's different from the shrill screams common to goblins.

Since she seems annoyed, I think it's better to leave that for later and get back to the main topic.

"Alright, I know you're upset about what happened yesterday, and now I'm making you do what I told you not to do. But you have to understand that now you're going safely."

Although I was trying to explain myself, it seemed that my reasons didn't matter to Rin.

In the end, it seems I have no choice but to use my secret weapon. I really don't like doing this because it feels like I'm taking advantage of her, but since I have no choice, I have to go ahead.

Bringing her into my arms, I held her tightly. Bringing my mouth close to her ear, I whispered, "If you do this for me, I'll let you eat as much meat as you want."

Upon hearing my proposal, I felt the stiffness in her body diminish, but she continued to ignore me. However, knowing her weak spot, I kept seducing her until she gave in.

***

With everything ready, we headed towards the goblin colony. Initially, I wanted Rin to use the One-Cut Sword as well, as it would surely increase her lethality. Unfortunately, she refused, preferring the club.

Arriving at an open area, I had Usagi lure the goblins, and after a few minutes, she reappeared in the distance. Not far behind her, several goblins of different types were running among the trees, chasing after her. Just like last time, they were running together without spreading out.

Seeing our targets approaching in the distance within the forest, I looked at Rin, who was beside me. "Are you ready?"

In response, she only gave a short nod. From the way she was acting, I could tell she was still sulking.

It seems that my secret weapon was starting to lose its effectiveness on her. Either way, I couldn't let her continue like this. If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that if you're going to do something, you need the right incentive.

Although I'm not sure if it will work, I need to try something.

Approaching her, I said, "I know you're angry about what happened yesterday. I'm sorry."

Kissing her cheek, I continued, "But if you do a good job, I'll make it up to you when all this is over."

With my actions having more effect than I expected, Rin looked at me with determined eyes.

"Mnn," she nodded and tapped the armor on her chest.

Although no words came out, she was clearly saying 'Leave it to me.' Even if 'Mnn' is not exactly a word, it's still a good start. It makes her more and more like a human.

Will she be able to speak before we leave the forest?

Placing my hand on her hair, I said, "Stay focused, they're almost here."

Shifting her gaze from me, Rin looked at the approaching goblins. Despite jumping into a mass of enemies, she was completely confident and excited.

"I know it's not the best time for this," I said, "But I'm lucky to have you by my side."

Strangely, even before the goblins got close, Rin started glowing red. She had activated Burning Heart.

Although that wasn't exactly my intention, is this the power of motivation?

Before I could say anything else, Rin prepared to run towards the oncoming goblins. "Wait!"

I held her back before she could rush forward. "We have to do this in an open field to avoid hidden enemies attacking."

Although Hagu's vision is good, if it's an opponent using the low vegetation to camouflage themselves, he can't easily detect them.

As we waited patiently, Rin's fighting spirit seemed to grow with each passing moment, along with the red glow on her body.

In a matter of seconds, Usagi arrived where we were, and I let go of Rin's arm.

"Do your best," I told her.

Without waiting a second, Rin charged towards our enemies while using Cry of Intimidation and Provocation at the same time.

In response, the goblins advanced towards her. The first ones who approached quickly left this world. But due to their large numbers, it only took a few seconds for them to bury, and I couldn't see her anymore.

All I could see was the lingering red glow of her skill amidst the sea of skinny green goblins.

Through our connection, I felt that she couldn't move a muscle. The goblins were like a swarm of ants attacking an intruder. Although nervous, I wasn't worried about Rin's safety because even though she was buried, I could sense that she hadn't suffered any damage yet.

I guess when Shadow-san gave me this sword and armor, he really wanted me to do well here.

Taking advantage of the goblins being focused on Rin, the rest of us didn't just stand there. We attacked with all our might.

Blood and limbs of the goblins were scattered everywhere as we quickly unearthed Rin, who was furious. Having regained her mobility, she ruthlessly attacked the goblins.

With Hagu monitoring the skies, we had no problems with a surprise attack. And since Rin was still untouched, after a rest, I had Usagi make a second round, bringing more goblins, which we completely eliminated.

After the battle, we had an afternoon of rest. I used that time to continue training my magic. I didn't know exactly how many goblins we had taken down, but it was somewhere between three hundred to five hundred.

It wasn't really an accurate number as many of them were split in two or had their heads crushed. Anyway, it was an absurd harvest, and best of all, we didn't suffer a scratch.

For the next three days, we continued using the same strategy, and everything went well. In total, I believe we killed from one thousand five hundred to two thousand goblins. I was surprised to find out that it was such a large goblin colony. Since the number of goblins coming at us didn't decrease, it gave me the certainty that there were many more of them there.

Although I was gaining a lot of XP from them, that wasn't the only good thing. The mastery of my skills was continuously increasing, and my battle experience was also growing.

Despite attacking the goblins practically unilaterally, my sword skills were improving. Maybe I'm being arrogant, but thanks to the Combatant passive, I think I'll become a master of the sword in no time.

***

On the morning of the fifth day of our revenge against the goblins, Rin and Han were kneeling in front of me. The reason for this was simple: my sleep has been continuously disturbed in the past nights.

When I questioned them, I discovered that everything was orchestrated by Rin. Apparently, since I was rejecting Rin's advances to be intimate, she believed it was because of her appearance. That's why she delegated the task to Han, who had the same appearance as her when the intimacy between us happened.

Rin couldn't be more wrong about the reason. At that time, I didn't intentionally go to bed with her; it was all due to being intoxicated by the purple fruit that looks like an acerola.

That being said, I preferred to keep the matter a secret. Truth be told, I really want to be with Rin, but when I remember that she has less than half a year left to live, it prevents my little friend from gaining power.

By appearance, she doesn't really look her age, and considering that she is from a race that matures quickly, I feel like it's okay. But still, I can't go further, and I don't want to resort to the help of that purple fruit. It's a problem I'll have to overcome eventually.

"It's okay, I won't punish you, but you mustn't disturb my sleep anymore, understood?" I said.

In response, the two of them nodded together.

"Great," I said. "Now let's go for our hunt of the day."

Since the ground gets covered in blood after the battles, various monsters gather there to feed on the remains. As always, we eliminated all of them when we arrived. Up to this point, everything was going according to plan, but something unexpected happened when Usagi went to fetch the goblins.

 

If you're curious about what happens in the next chapters, you can check out my Patreon.

Of course, if you simply want to support my writing and motivate me to write more, you are also welcome =D

Feel free to take a look using Patreon's 7-day free trial period.

8