Chapter 10: All Hail Shovel
62 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The grey mouths with black tongues and decayed yellow teeth, opened wide disposing the retched air, hovering at the sight of the 8 people, drooling excessively. With only 8 people against a hoard of ‘humans’ that kept rushing out the tiny houses, soon surrounded them. It was as if the houses were sardines cans, and all the ‘humans’ were tightly squished into each and every one of them, so soon hundreds of those ‘humans’ surrounded them, pushing them closer into a circle.

The soldiers kept shooting, but those that had fallen were soon replaced by new ones. Only the blue hair boy went up to the crowd and started hitting them on the head, which fell surprisingly easily under the fist of knuckles, as if a slightest touch would increase the gravity of the surface.

Analyzing the situation, the man with glasses kept calmed while keeping his handgun up preparing for any surprised attack, but not shooting as if the preserve bullets. As if to confirm his suspicion, he asked out loud “Zombies…?”

Ye Hua hearing that nodded to agree with his hypothesis. Both of them soon worn darkening expressions at the thought that the system did not hint a deadline unlike the other instances nor did they allow an opening to ask questions with the soldiers maintaining silence. They couldn’t be obvious that they were outsiders, even if they obviously looked like outsiders, but somehow in their eyes they were insiders. But with weird questions, they would start to act hostile against you, which made things harder to complete and survive. However, they did not know answers to questions like “Did the zombie spread all over the world? How will they be able to leave this instance?”

As they thought about that distractedly, the soldier’s guns started to slow down, Shen Wei noticed that they were reaching for the grenades, he hastily pulled back the blue hair boy, just as they threw out the bombs blasting away dozens of zombies clearing a path for them.

Seeing the opening, everyone rushed towards the only stone house standing at the end of the village. Every time zombies started filling the hole, a soldier would throw another grenade, while the rest would shoot or attack, keeping a barrier between them.

Finally, they reached the entrance of the stone house, only to find it locked. A soldier quickly shot at the rusted metal lock, and when he attempted to open it out of fear, he forgot to check if any zombies were inside.

Once the door opened, out came rushing one big zombie, bigger than the rest of them with bulging muscles. With just one hand, it grabbed the nearest solider and snapped its neck like a toothpick before beginning his meal of munching on the remnants of the solider.

Seeing that they were in a tight position, the glassed man finally felt the danger and shot at the big zombie. As soon as the bullet hit him, it was as if a black hole appeared, leaving a gigantic hole where the head, neck, and upper torso was supposed to be.

Noticing that there were no other zombies coming out of the stone house, they all rushed inside, locking the door and placing on an iron bar across.

The interior of the building was messed around as if thieves have gone through it. The desks and beds were overturned, papers were all over the floor. Health care supplies were scattered randomly on the floor, with glasses on the floor everywhere. This building turned out to be the clinic.

The remaining three soldiers remained cold as they catches their breath, only one of them hit the walls to take out the frustration over the fallen comrade whose body was still outside probably being devoured by the rest.

The knocking from the herd of zombies muffled from the stone wall, along with the iron gate, but even with these thick walls, they did not feel safe against the non-ceasing zombies whose outside banging the doors.  This was only a temporarily residence for them, as the night was dawning on them, before heading back out in the morning. Hoping that they can maintain enough silence to make the zombies forget about their existence until the next morning.

The blue haired boy couldn’t take it anymore and asked straight up, “What exactly is our objective here!?”

The three soldiers stared at the blue hair boy with alarm, and one even pointed a gun at him out of instincts.

Seeing that the situation is tense, the glasses man took the stand and said “He was called away by the head officer during the briefing for a medical check-up and didn’t get a chance to listen to the mission before we left”

Hearing that, doubts still lingered in the air, as they made eye contacts with each other as if to confirm their beliefs. The solider who was the biggest out of the three, and was the only one who thumped the wall over the loss of the other solider, he seemed to be the leader, pushing down the one who held the gun against us, and said,

“Patient Zero, we need to find patient zero since we believe that this disease is a zoonosis disease”

“Zoonosis? Patient Zero?” the blue haired boy asked in confusion.

Shen Wei who studied horror movies that dealt with diseases before understood the terms perfectly well, to clear anymore doubts from the soldiers, he decided to speak out,

“Patient Zero, as in the first patient who contracted this disease. Zoonosis, basically means the transmission of diseases from animals to humans.”

“Yes, the earliest reporting came from this area. We need to secure the area for the scientists to come in and examine the area to confirm the suspicion.”

“So we have to kill every one of those zombies out there?” the blue haired boy asked in disbelief.

Analyzing the situation, the zombies didn't seem to be able to get in yet despite of their hard efforts so the soldiers sat by the floor with grim expressions, ignoring the obvious question and started cleaning their guns.

The 4 players gathered in another corner, while Shen Wei was there holding the medical reports that was thrown all over the floor.

The glasses dude pushed up his thick rims, and said

“It seems this instance really requires us to all work together, or else everyone will die together. To begin we need to know everyone’s greatest weapon and its drawbacks, so we know when it would be the most appropriate to use. I understand if you guys think it would be unsafe to share your best weapons, but this is our best chance of survival, and I believe everyone would not steal from each other at this time. To begin, I’m Bai Zhen, my greatest weapon as you guys all saw is this handgun. I’m sure you guys have seen it in the store, it basically acts as a vacuum or black hole, which sucks away everything within a circumference of 15 inches. Drawback is that it has limited amounts of bullets, everyday it only has 6 bullets and refreshes by the end of the day back to 6 bullets”

Shen Wei stared at the gun with interests and admiration, with a secret desire to try it out.

“Fuck it, I will just have to trust you guys! If you guys dare to betray me, I swear to go I would fucking murder you before you have the chance to even rob me! So, I, Si Ming, have these knuckles as you can see. I can control the amount of gravity it inputs, up to 5 tons can be placed onto whatever it touches, up to 3 seconds, so anything would be basically turned into paste haha. But it needs a buffer time of 1 min in between though, although it still works well just as a knuckle ring. I’m pretty strong you see” the blue-haired boy flexed off his arm muscles just to prove his point.

Ye Hua didn’t say anything and simply took out another handgun out of the thin air, making Shen Wei squint to try to understand the logic behind it, before considering to check the store again later.

“Ye Hua. Unlimited bullets, but it’s a normal gun, no extra power. I also have a baton, which also works as a taser, not sure if it would work on the zombies though. That’s it”

“Fuck! Were you a police before?” the blue-haired boy glared at Ye Hua.

Ye Hua didn’t answer and simply gave a smirk before facing Shen Wei who was sitting quietly observing the weapons. So soon, the attention was directed at Shen Wei with his weird black mask.

Shen Wei calmly looked towards a corner of the room, without a hint of change in the colour of his face, he proudly declared, “…I have this shovel that I just picked up”. As if it wasn’t obvious enough, he swung it back and forth in front of them.

“…”

“…”

“…”

Author's note: hehehe shovel can be useful too right...? :o 

2