Chapter 7: What It Means To Protect
1.6k 8 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: It's Ejwaxy, here to mention some additions. For those that were here at the start and didn't realize it yet, "You Stole My Isekai!" now has a cover page! Also, in case people didn't notice something that I slipped in after yesterday's releases, the "World Exploration" tag, among others, was added to allude to future arcs I have planned out (although planned might be an overstatement). This chapter is a bit different from the rest, and shows that some of the series will cover serious moments in addition to the comedic ones so far. I hope you all have enjoyed the recent releases, and continue to show support for the series!

Warning: This scene does get a bit graphic with the violence, reader be warned!

 

My heart beat loudly in my chest, each reverberation sending adrenaline throughout my body. Though my sight through the keyhole wavered as I couldn't prevent myself from trembling, it was more from anticipation from fear.

I'd simulated combat mentally hundreds of thousands of times, hit pads in preparation for a real fight, but now just the lead-up to one made me feel like electricity was coursing through my body.

Feeling my hands shaking, I closed my eyes and took one deep breath, then another.

As my hands began to steady, I opened my eyes again and observed the assassin through the hole in the door.

It moved silently and smoothly, each action with purpose as it skated around the room. It seemed like whoever was under the hood had gotten more cautious now that they realized we weren't in the room, and were trying not to raise any flags in case we couldn't see them.

Unlucky for it, I could.

First, the figure checked under the bed, then, behind the curtains.

After a few minutes, the figure turned towards the closet, and my heart leaped. My senses both sharpened and dulled as the figure slowly creeped towards the door, first placing its hand on the knob before realizing the quarter-sized hole we were looking through.

Though it was too dark to see through from a distance from the other side, it would be possible if one put their eye against the hole, so that's exactly what the figure went to do. However, just as a blue iris appeared I whipped out with the arms gripping the pins and released them, aiming as best I could for small hole.

It was my first time attempting to rely on a skill that augmented a physical ability, throwing, and even at its low level I could feel it guiding my actions, correcting them ever so slightly to improve my aim and power. If the level was higher, I probably would be able to hit anything with pinpoint accuracy, and eventually I would likely even be able to surpass human levels of strength with my throws.

As I released the pins, two of them went astray, landing about a palm's width away from the hole. The third one missed as well, landing on the hole's periphery. However, the final pin hit right on it's mark.

Piercing right at the center of the man's eye, the pin sailed through the air.

It was brutal, yes, but it was necessary. To protect the one's behind me, it was something I had to do.

I told myself that over and over again as each instant seemed to stretch out, but I was already traveling towards the door.

"Argh!"

The deep voice cried out in pain as it clutched at its bleeding left eye.

[Due to an extremely accurate attack, Basic Skill "Throwing" increases in level! Accuracy and power improve!]

["Throwing" lv. 1 -> "Throwing" lv. 2]

I ignored the messages that popped up in the corner of my vision as I charged at the door, slamming it forward and knocking the figure backward and off balance. 

Immediately following that up, I relied on the martial arts training I'd been doing for the past two years and sent a precise front kick at the figures stomach, knocking it further back. The figure slid back, but overall it seemed barely fazed by the attack, instead going to lunge at me.

As I quickly dived out of the way, barely avoiding an off-balance swing, more messages appeared in my vision.

[Basic Skill "Martial Arts: Body" lv. 1 acquired]

[Due to increased number of skills acquired, Basic Skill "Tinkering" increases in level! New information about already observed system is revealed (failed observations must be reattempted), higher complexity systems can be observed!]

["Tinkering" lv. 1 -> "Tinkering" lv. 2]

[Systems observed: 1

System: Skills

  • Skills can be acquired through actions
  • (New!) Some skills can only be unlocked after certain prerequisites are met
  • (New!) The foundation for attaining skills is the concept of "understanding." By "understanding" a concept, a skill can be obtained with minimal effort rather than continuous effort.]

I once again ignored these notifications, but did notice that my body began to feel lighter and my moves smoother.

"You little bastard!"

I narrowly avoided another kick by instinct, but the speed and strength alone caused an audible rush of air that felt like it was tearing into my skin. That alone would've knocked my head off if I hadn't disabled the figures eye.

Barely recovering, I spun back and tried to sweep out the assassin's leg, only to face what felt like stone. I felt a crack in my foot as pain spread throughout my body, but I grit my teeth.

[Fierce struggle improves your practical skills! Basic Skill "Martial Arts: Body" increases in level! Body is reinforced!]

Giving up on blunt force attacks, I slid in to throw the assassin using a hip throw. However, I was once again foiled as the assassin simply barked out in distorted laughter and grabbed my by the neck, lifting me off the ground.

Damn it, I didn't expect the status difference to be this big. If only I'd had the opportunity to raise my level...

Not giving in yet, I grabbed onto the assassin's arm with both hands and tried to bring my legs up into an arm bar.

Despite the apparent lack of effect it was having, I continued to flex, even as my vision began to darken.

[Fierce struggle improves your practical skills!...]

[Fierce struggle improves your practical skills!...]

The two notification rang out in my barely awake consciousness, and slowly but surely the arm began to bend until...

Bam!

The laughter having stopped I was slammed against the ground, forcing my grip to loosen. As I opened my fluttering eyes, I saw that a thin silver knife was now in the assassin's hand, its edge dripping with a purple liquid. No doubt it was poison.

No good, I can't hold out much longer...

Just as I was thinking that, I saw a flash of blue hair behind the assassin's back. Tears streaming down her face, Elena stood there, her black dress fluttering as she said words I didn't recognize. However, it didn't take long to figure out what it was.

As she chanted, a ball of fire began to form in the air. Though it started off small, it grew to the size of a basketball and flew through the air, the entire process taking about 3 seconds.

Fwoosh!

Hearing the sound of the fireball streaking through the air, the assassin turned around only to take it straight to the chest. The assassin's grip loosening on both me and the knife, both dropped to the ground as he flew backward, impacting with the wall.

I fell to my knees, coughing and sputtering as the assassin slowly got to up and turned to face the Princess.

"Hahahaha!"

The voice was garbled, but clearly masculine as a charred device fell from under the assassin's hood.

"You fucking bitch, don't think I won't kill you too!"

He stepped forward towards the crying Elena slowly and confidently. He wasn't in a rush, it was like he knew he could kill any of us at any time.

As he walked forward, Amber suddenly stepped in front of Elena. She spread her arms out as if to shield her.

No... Not again. I can't let it happen again...

My thoughts were singleminded as I clutched randomly around at the ground, looking for the silver knife that had been dropped. I needed a weapon, anything. When I felt my hand around the unfamiliar grip, I immediately grabbed at it.

I'd never practiced holding a knife before... it felt wrong. It made me want to wash my hands immediately, but I stumbled to a knee anyway. That wasn't important right now.

I have to save them...

The assassin didn't even turn in my direction, apparently having deemed me a non-threat. As blood dripped from one of his eyes, it fell to the ground leaving a trail. That trail was all that filled my vision.

Following that red path that took the form of blooming roses in my eyes, I charged forward and sunk the blade into the assassin's back. And then suddenly, there was silence.

The assassin turned back to face me, but rather than confidence, there was just surprise.

"Koff!"

The man coughed, and dark purple blood dripped from his mouth.

This force, one that had seemed invincible, hadn't even thought about me using his own weapon against him.

How ironic, I bitterly laughed internally as darkness began to fill up my vision, and I collapsed alongside the assassin.

[Defeating an opponent of a much higher level gives massive experience!]

[Effect of Title "Pity of the Gods" Activates! Random reward determined....]

[Basic Skill "Concealment" Lv. 1 is acquired...]

[Level up!]

[Level up!

[...]

[...]

As the notifications filled my vision, I fell into a dreamless slumber.

56