Chapter 8: Cherries/The First Kiss
1.8k 8 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I lingered in an inky black state of unconsciousness, I was trapped alone with my thoughts.

At first they were hazy, in my muddled mind I couldn't make sense of up or down. But as they gradually focused, they centered on one thing.

Are they ok?

I barely knew the two girls, but for some reason the thought of them getting hurt scared the hell out of me. I'd seen so many people who didn't care about anybody else, so dark and corrupted inside that they felt like black holes to look at.

But these two... whenever I looked at them, I didn't see that all-too-familiar darkness.

No, instead it was a warm light, a genuine kindness and caring about somebody else.

Every time they smiled, my heart would beat a little bit faster. It was a new sensation, and the thought of it disappearing all of a sudden was terrifying.

Jonathan!

I smiled, or whatever the closest thing to doing that in a mental world was. I was even imagining hearing Amber's worried voice now. I wondered why it felt so comforting?

Jonathan, wake up! Please!

Ah, and Elena too. But why did they sound so sad?


"Come on you big dummy, just wake up! Please!"

A warm, wet substance dripped onto my face, and a light bright enough to die the inside of my eyelids white shone on me visibly even through closed eyes. 

"Mmmn"

I groaned as I tried to move myself upright and open my eyes.

"H-he's ok! He's waking up!"

Elena's voice was filled with both fatigue and relief, and as she spoke the blinding light began to fade.

As I opened my eyes, I saw Elena and Amber kneeling beside me, their eyes red and puffy from crying. I glanced between the two of them for a few seconds, uncertain of whether it had all been a dream, if I'd never gone to another world and I was still dreaming, but no matter how long I waited the two beautiful girls in front of me didn't disappear.

Suddenly, Amber flew at me and knocked me back to the ground.

"How could you do that, you idiot? I was so scared!"

Amber beat my chests with her fists, but there was no strength behind them.

"I'm sorry..."

"You promised you would get me home, right? You can't die!"

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't do that again... ok?"

"..."

I didn't answer, since I couldn't make any promises. This wasn't a world that was safe just because we wanted it to be. But at the same time, it meant that what we did here mattered.

Amber remained silent for a time before getting off of me and turning her back.

"Just... stay safe, ok?"

On that note, she got up and went out the door.

I got up slowly and looked around the room as I thought to follow, but something caught my eye.

In a spot on the ground were a set of clothes. More precisely, the ones worn by the assassin.

That wasn't the only weird thing, though. Rather, what was weirder was that there was no sign of the body anywhere in the room. As I walked closer to inspect the clothes, I saw the silver knife and several vials of purple liquid still intact.

"The body turned into a purple vapor as time passed, we assumed it was probably a poison used to make kills untraceable...."

I nodded as I stood looking over the scene, and as i went to move forward and get a closer look I felt a light tugging on the back of my clothes. Shortly after, I felt a gentle thump on my back.

"Hey... why would you do something like that for me?"

Elena's voice wavered as she spoke with her forehead resting against my back.

"What do you mean?"

"Protecting me... risking your life for me. Why would you do that?"

I laughed a little in response.

"Because of all the people I've met in my life, the truly kind people I've met can be counted on two hands. And you're one of them."

"But you barely know me..."

She gripped my clothes a bit tighter as she spoke, her gentle voice soothing.

"Didn't I say it before? I could already tell what kind of person you were when I first met you. Everything after that only reinforced my belief."

"...I agree with Amber. You shouldn't do something like this again."

"..."

I stayed quiet once again. I didn't want to lie to such earnest people.

"...You're too nice, you know?"

I laughed at that, I couldn't help it.

"No, I don't think so."

"You are, even if you don't know it. That's why we... that's why I need you around. So don't be in such a rush to leave, ok?"

Elena released me as she spoke, and when I turned around to look at her she was looking at me meaningfully with wide eyes. Their ruby-red color really was transfixing, huh?

"Oh... and Amber should be fine. I set up a barrier around the area with my magic, so there shouldn't be anyone else on their way for a while."

I nodded again.

"Thank you for that. And thank you for, you know, saving my life..."

Elena smiled at me brightly, something that made it impossible for me not to give a small smile back.

"If you're really that grateful, then stay with me for now..."

I tilted my head a bit, confused.

"We can't stay here long, not if we want to finish this tonight."

"Then just for a little while?"

For some reason, my smile got a little wider.

"Yeah, I suppose that would be fine."

I sat down on the bed that never ended up being used, and a second later Elena sat beside me. Then, she surprised me by putting her head against my shoulder.

"You really are oddly dense for someone who seems so astute..."

"Hm?"

I turned to her, confused.

"You really need things spelled out for you, don't you?"

I raised an eyebrow as she placed her hands against the sides of my face.

"Maybe this will help you get the picture..."

Before I could even register what was going on, Elena leaned in and our lips were touching.

As the world seemed to spin around me and the taste of cherry seemed to surround me, I had my first kiss with a Princess from another world.

In response to this, my mind that normally thought as quickly as could be could only manage a short phrase.

HELL YEAH!

65