Chapter 16: Jester
894 6 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: Hey guys, Ejwaxy here again. I think that for the next week, I'll be limiting myself to one chapter release a day instead of two since I've been getting increasingly busy and stressed as of late. I hope everybody understands this, and I look forward to continuing writing this story! 

There may be some days of double releases this week as well, just not likely to be every day


"..."

The three of us remained silent, uncertain how to approach the jester Vice Guild master in front of us.

The room was grand and large, with countless large marble pillars scattered throughout. There was a fountain with odd rainbow fish leaping out of it behind the desk, and a large statue of a jester wearing a mask that covered the top half of its face was off to the side, the bottom part of it still being completed.

On top of the desk, a name plate reading Jester displayed the name the Vice Guild Master went by.

"..."

In response to our silence, Jester simply tilted his head in confusion.

"You did say you were interested in a way to get to D-rank without having to wait and grind away, right?"

Jester got up, his shoes and hat jangling as he did so. He then walked over to one of the pillars and laid his hand on it.

"Ah, um... yes!"

Amber spoke for us as we watched the Vice Guild master caress the pillar. He then moved to slip behind it.

"In that case, would you like to hear some more? Or might you have only come up to have a taste of my famous fried fish?

The Vice Guild Master's foot disappeared behind the pillar as he spoke and suddenly.

"Sniff sniff... If it's you, you should be able to do it."

Jester suddenly appeared behind us, sniffing the air before plucking a hair from Amber's head. As we turned back around, though, he reappeared behind the desk, his legs crossed as he reclined. One hand was holding out a fried rainbow fish, but as he saw our blank looks he put it away with a look of disappointment.

As he leaned back, he twisted the hair he'd plucked. However, it wasn't until Amber looked at him that she realized what had happened and registered the slight pain with a surprised look. Seeing her cute surprised face, I rested my hand on her head gently while fighting the smile tugging at my lips to remain unfazed.

"What do you mean by that?"

I said, my eyebrow raised as I wondered just what this... odd vice guild master knew.

Though I'd prepared myself mentally for figures beyond reason when I'd decided to come to another world like this, it was certainly mentally taxing to deal with somebody so easily recognizable as an illogical existence.

Each of Jester's movements seemed fluid, and yet it was something other than speed that seemed to keep on moving him away from our sight. Combined with his still-twitching nose as he sniffed the air, any anime-watcher would think of a certain character from Italy that could tell lies by taste.

"Why, the two girls, of course. One, an [Otherworlder]. The other, a wielder of [Mystic Eyes] oh so like the Kingdom's Princess. It simply reeks of... delicious talent in here."

Jester's eyes then looked at me quizzically.

"Although, I do have to wonder. Why do they travel with somebody as ordinary as you?"

Those words made me smile. I suppose that, in the end, I would seem ordinary. I didn't have the characteristic cheat skill of an [Otherworlder], after all. Yet the two of them followed me, trusted me. It probably didn't make much sense from the outside, but we'd been through a lot in the short time we'd known each other.

"How did you come to those outlandish conclusions. An [Otherworlder]? You can't be serious."

Though it was obviously true, I was more interested in Jester's method. Considering he couldn't discern who I really was even though Elena had been able to, it seemed worthwhile to find out how that was possible.

"It's not worthwhile to try to fool me. It's simple enough to smell the divine power lingering on the brown-haired girl, something unique to [Otherworlder's] skills. Even this hair has enough of it that it's visible to the naked eye for somebody with enough skill. As for the blue-haired girl, the scent of mutant magic power in the eyes is something she couldn't hide if she wanted to."

Jester smiled a bit, showcasing his abilities. They were definitely the real deal, it was just that my situation was unique enough to make even the gods pity me in surprise. 

I shrugged at Jester's words.

"Ah... in any case, I think all three of us would appreciate it if you didn't disclose anything about us to anyone... sir..."

Elena spoke up uncertainly, trying to act polite, only for Jester to grin at us. Though, to be honest, I didn't feel like Jester would be the type to go spreading information like that.

"Of course not, what business is it of mine to ruin the fun of youngsters like you. Oh, the task! You guys still don't know what it is!"

I nodded.

"Well, I assume you've heard rumors about our guild branch? Have you met any of our...special members as of yet? Though the [Goblin Serial Killer] and [Fire Swallower Naglue] are out of town, there are still people the [Holy Sword Joyeuse] and the [Druken Berserker Bacchus]."

Was that a fucking reference???!!!

"Oh, we've met Bacchus! Though he didn't seem to be any sort of 'drunken destroyer'..."

Amber commented, causing Jester to laugh before speaking again.

"Well I suppose you'll just have to wait to see how we earned our reputation..."

You're not even going to deny it? I sighed internally before talking myself.

"Do you count yourself among those 'special members'?"

"Isn't that obvious, I'm the biggest, strongest weirdo here!"

Jester puffed out his chest in pride, causing Elena to smile as Amber nearly burst out in laughter.

"Well, in any case, with regards to the task it's simple enough. A number of years ago, our guild master dropped a personal item in the final boss room of the C-rank dungeon [Arachnid Den]. Basically, you're task would be to go to that boss room, defeat the boss, and get back the item."

The words hit my ears, but something felt off. It seemed like I wasn't the only one who felt that way, as Elena spoke up right after Jester finished speaking.

"Years ago? Then why only start looking now? I mean, those signs mentioning a limited time event were about this, right?"

"Hahaha, those signs are years old. I just didn't feel like replacing them." Jester laughed.

"Then nobody has managed to do this, even higher rank adventurers, for years? What even is this 'item' we're supposed to be retrieving?" I said, furrowing my brows.

"No, no. The higher ranked adventurers don't bother with this quest after trying it once, probably since the reward of boosting whoever completes it up to D-rank is pretty useless once they get that strong anyway. As for the item, you'll know it when you see it."

Jester smiled innocently at me as he spoke, but the combination of that and his outfit only made him look more and more like a suspicious individual. If he even mentioned the word "float" or said the name "Georgie" I might have to start running away.

"So... you want us to find an object we don't know any info about that nobody has been able to complete for years?"

"Yes. It'll also be a great opportunity for you to level up quickly if you manage to survive. It is the only way for those below D-rank to enter a dungeon and kill monsters, after all. Though of course this is only offered to certain individuals." Jester nodded as he spoke.

I thought for a while before looking at Amber and Elena, but couldn't get much of an idea of what they were thinking as they looked back at me.

To be honest, either way it would be better to think about things before proceeding due to how sketchy the offer was. However, it was already obvious that it was hard to know what was and wasn't meaningfully sketchy when it came to Jester the self-proclaimed top weirdo.

"I... think we need some more time to talk this over between ourselves for now."

Jester nodded, and after quickly ducking down under his desk he was suddenly at the door, holding it open.

"That'll be fine, I doubt any other worthy candidates are going to come by any time soon. For now, feel free to do normal commissions, and come back to me when you make up your mind."

"Thank you, I'll do just that. Oh, one last thing. Do you know of any inns around here?"

"Of course! I know tons of great places to stay!" Jester's smile broadened as I asked him for advice.

"Ah, normal ones!" I corrected myself before it was too late, and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hmm...," Jester's face took on a hint of disappointment as he spoke, "In that case, I have an old friend whose place should work. Though I still think 'normal' is far more boring than otherwise"

Jester then took out a business card and handed it to me. On it was written [Blue Sky Inn].

I hoped deep down that this place would be more normal than quite literally anything related to Jester so far.

34