Chapter 17: “Normal”
915 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We left the guild hall after speaking with Jester, having gotten set up like we wanted to. Of course, there would be a lot to discuss later on, but since we would be staying in Valen for a while we could at the very least take our time to settle in today.

In any case, we followed the directions Jester had marked for me on a map, making our way through the bustling streets once more. However, since it was later in the day than before, the sun was lower in the sky.

By now, it was probably around 4:00 pm, and in an attempt to reach the [Blue Sky Inn] as quickly as possible, we tried to push directly through the crowd. Of course, this meant that it was harder to stick together, and because of this both Elena and Amber were holding on to me particularly tightly.

This is really... difficult...

That was the only thing I could really think to myself as I tried to stay focused on following the map rather than on the soft sensations on either arm.

Luckily enough, though, I didn't mess up in my map-reading despite the distractions, and soon enough a tall, luxurious building that rose above all the other ones nearby came into view. And wouldn't you know it, a large, shining, holographic sign that hung in the air while glittering with blue letters read [Blue Sky Inn].

Though I said it was lucky that I hadn't messed up in our navigation, it was more like the building was too large to miss. It stood at least 15 stories tall and wrapped around a large fountain the size of an American football field. As the water in the fountain danced by some magic force, it reflected the sunlight and weaved into all sorts of shapes showcasing 

I felt Amber pause for a second in a mix of surprise and wonder at the inn (more like a hotel) and it's radiant beauty. Of course, I didn't waste this opportunity and gave her a grin.

"What, forget where we were? This is a fantasy world, after all."

Amber blushed and frowned as she looked at me with a slight glare.

"Sh-shut up, I know that..."

She punched my arm lightly, but as I glanced at Elena her look was similarly amazed. It seemed that even for a royal like her, this was a beautiful and extravagant sight. Though, I suppose it made sense for her who felt more comfortable with simple things and was raised to be humble by her father. Even after the years of more extravagance under Pierre, she still hadn't been able to properly get used to it.

As we stepped into the inn through a grandiose set of double doors, rather than a sense of excitement I felt an odd discomfort. It was almost like a bad premonition. Though, of course, nothing happened other than an elderly man stepping forward to greet us.

The inside of the hotel was grand and large, like the inside of the Caesar's Palace hotel in Las Vegas (this image: Caesars Hotel Affiliate Program - Hotels), made of shining tile weaving images of heroes slaying large monsters, with a statue of a beautiful winged angel in the center, her arms outstretched.

As for the old man he gazed up and down at us in our commoner's clothes as he approached us, his cane clinking on the ground as the sound echoed throughout the large lobby.

"Who might you three be?"

The old man had long white hair tied back in a pony tail and seemed to be about 80 years old. However, rather than shaky or weak, his presence seemed calm and stable. His eyes alone seemed to bore into me.

"Ah, we're just travelers coming from the capital. We figured we would come stay here if that was possible. Though I'm not certain if it falls within our price range..."

I spoke uncertainly. In the end, it really had been a bad idea to ask Jester for advice on anything "normal." I doubted he even understood what the word meant.

"Well... at a first glance, I would say you don't seem like our usual clientele. Normally the guards would have probably told you so before you came in through the front door, but we're having a... well, let's call it an event. Hell, we don't even have many rooms over for you to take in the first place hahaha."

The old man laughed to himself a bit, which was only slightly annoying.

"In any case, I could probably get you a room for seven, no... five gold coins a night. You know, since only a few of the top floor villas are left over."

I grinned tensely at the old man who was trying to drain our funds like it was nothing while internally cursing in my mind.

Damn Jester, now where do I look.

"Well I suppose it was to be expected. The information did come from Jester, after all. I don't really understand why we asked him in the first place, if I'm being honest."

Elena sighed as she turned to me, her eyes both questioning and slightly judging. She seemed a bit annoyed at having come this far for nothing when there were probably a lot of more reliable ways to find a place to stay. Honestly, I couldn't blame her. I didn't fully understand why I'd asked Jester for his recommendation myself, it was something like an... instinct? Not to mention, we'd had to walk over four miles to get here on a hot and sunny day.

I certainly felt bad now, and a small bead of sweat dripped down the side of my face under Elena's gaze.

"Jester...? Ah, you mean Viktor, don't you. This is certainly unexpected, then. My older brother hasn't recommended anyone to stay here since he became the Vice Guild Master. I suppose that in that case, I'll have to find you a place here. I suppose the staff housing would do fine, since for the time being they're all staying off-premises."

I blinked a few times in silent surprise. I didn't hear wrong, right? He'd said that-

"O-older brother?! The Vice Guild Master is your older brother?!" Amber exclaimed in vivid shock.

"D-did you say he was your older brother?!" Elena seemed just as surprised.

In all honesty, my surprise wasn't as dulled as I thought it would be. Though the "older than they appear" trope was certainly used everywhere in isekai anime, seeing it in person was something else. If I encountered the loli-baba type, I honestly didn't know what I would do.

"Hm? Well, yes. I understand we look quite different these days, but he was the one who all but raised me back in the day. So serious back then, never even smiled. Different now, though, since..."

The old man's eyes took on a far-off look as he stared past us, only to shake his head and refocus.

"Well, in any case, let's get you set up now. Let me lead the way."

The old man set off, his cane clacking again. Yet somehow, the odd discomfort in my chest didn't seem to fade despite how well things were going.

I put my hand on my chest as if to feel the core of what was bothering me, but didn't get any better understanding.

"Jonathan, are you ok? I-I didn't mean to make you upset, I was just annoyed...everything turned out well, anyways, you don't have anything to feel bad about."

Elena looked up at me with a sad expression. It seemed like she already felt guilty for having gotten annoyed at me, even though she'd had full right to. The fact that everything had turned out well was an undeniable coincidence, after all. How unlike me.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it. Though if you continue to look so sad over me I might just start to feel bad."

I sighed slightly and winked with a smile on my face, causing Elena to blush.

Amber, on the other hand, punched me in my arm again lightly to get my attention.

"You better start feeling better for real, then. Or else I'll worry too, got it, dummy?"

She was frowning with slightly red cheeks, and it was relatively clear that she was unhappy with so much attention on Elena.

"I got it, I got it. Wouldn't want you bursting into tears over me or something, right?"

I rested my other hand on Amber's head, who turned bright red as she looked down.

"B-burst into tears over you?! L-like I'd ever do something like that!"

I smiled at her embarrassed face before turning back to look at the innkeeper who was waiting by a door a ways away.

"In any case, we should probably get going. Wouldn't want to keep our benefactor waiting."

And so the three of us walked to follow the old man, the odd feeling in my chest not going away.

33