Book 1-08.2: Dealings
1.6k 5 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Trevor Byrne got off the Circuit Tram at the Town Center, carrying with him a document bag filled with an assortment of papers. The council meeting was scheduled for that morning and, as one of the handful of Knights in Faron’s Crossing, he was nominally part of it even if his duties had nothing to do with governance.

The Town Hall was right next to the Temple of Ascendance, an unassuming building with a beautiful facade of white stone. Across the Town Center, the Mighty Art Players were setting up in the Assembly Hall where the prominent members of the town met once a year.

The Hall doubled as a trade hall, a performance theatre, and a general venue that could seat nearly five hundred people. With the theatrical set up, they could only fit about half the usual number of bodies. Well, it wasn’t as if the entire population of the town would turn up to watch anyway.

He entered the Town Hall, walked past the small offices manned by a few clerks, and into the Council chambers. He nodded to Spellweaver Eilis Merill who was already seated at her space on the conference table.

Militia Vice-Commander Theo Rani Stuart, the militia’s second-in-command, was seated beside Eilis. The red-haired Theo nodded at Trevor when he saw him but otherwise continued chatting with Eilis. Theo was still single and he was smitten with Eilis, whose first husband had died quite a while back.

Not that Trevor was one to talk; he was well into his prime and he thought it was time to start a family, too. Just that there were few eligible women near his age and status in Faron’s Crossing.

‘Next time I request leave, I should travel to Rumiga City or maybe even the Delovine plane,’ he thought idly.

Notably absent were Knights Craig Zorin, Balliol Muryh, and Amiri Cypher. And, of course, Knight-Captain Virgil Davar. He half-suspected that they were in the mission solely to avoid having to attend these tedious Council Meetings but he supposed the danger was real enough.

As Trevor settled down in his seat, the governing members of the Council entered. Technically, Knight-Captain Davar was part of this group but Vice-Commander Stuart would represent him for today’s session.

First to enter was Constable Tara Seoni Andersen, a relatively young woman amongst the group. She had silky black hair up to the middle of her back, her light grey eyes were half-lidded, and she often looked like she had just gotten out of bed and would like to return to it. She also had a voluptuous figure, didn’t have a permanent partner, and was only a few inches taller than Trevor.

Next came Alderman Ferell Ghana Rivos, an elderly looking man with salt and pepper hair, blue eyes, and dark skin. He was slender, almost gaunt actually, and his face was lined. He wasn’t that much older than Trevor, only a decade or so, but his Anima wasn’t as advanced as the others. He was barely into the Knight level. Still, personal power wasn’t of great import in governance, so it wasn’t that much of an issue. It was unlikely for Rivos to enter the rolls of the nobility either unless he managed to triple Faron’s Crossing’s gross revenue.

The last to enter was Elder Karr Linden Ramus, the Celebrant of the Everlasting Order. Elder Ramus had grey hair, not an even mix of black and white, but truly grey strands of hair. He had a pious presence and one that drew the eye. Too bad his sermons could put anyone to sleep.

“Good morning, everyone.” Alderman Rivos said in a pedantic voice as soon as the doors were closed and everyone was in their seat. “I hope the turn of the Season finds all of you well.”

There were murmurs of “All’s well” before Alderman Rivos continued, “We have a few things to discuss so I guess in the interest of saving time, let us proceed.”

“First on the agenda is the upcoming Wyldling invasion. Vice-Commander Stuart, please elaborate.”

The man coughed into his fist before he spoke. “All signs point to an incoming Wave of Wyldlings. Previously, it could have been something else but now we are seeing more Wanderers and the swarmlings have been spotted by patrols penetrating the Shallows. Most sightings have been non-violent, an impossibility with swarmlings or Wanderers unless they are controlled by a higher tier Wyldling. From the numbers we’re seeing, a wave is imminent. Within the next couple of weeks at the earliest.”

“Hold on,” Trevor interrupted, “the training camp will begin tomorrow. Our usual excursions run into the Shallows. This means we’ll have to change where we hold the practicals.”

“That’s correct,” Elder Ramus said. “We must not risk our children. They are too young to be exposed to a Wave while inside the Shallows.”

“I disagree,” Vice-Commander Stuart rebutted. “You cannot forge a blade without fire. Such excursions can be done with adequate protection. It would give the children a better idea of what they face in the future.”

“No,” Spellweaver Merill retorted. “We do not know how dangerous the Wave will be. They would still learn their lessons protected by the walls of the Watchtower.”

“I agree,” Alderman Rivos said, “it is too much of a risk with little to gain.”

“I concur,” most of the other Knights answered.

“Let them participate on the wall instead,” Trevor offered. “They will be as safe as could be managed and still feel enough danger to spur growth.”

“Very well,” Vice-Commander Stuart answered. “I will abide by the Council’s will.”

“You are not in charge of the camp anyway,” Trevor noted with some disdain.

“Is there any word from Inquisitor Gorlyn’s party?” Elder Ramus asked.

“None, Elder.” Vice-Commander Stuart shrugged. “The time-dilation experienced by our patrols all involved shorter hours in the Tidelands. Though some patrols that spent longer days there than the dates would indicate. It is frustratingly chaotic.”

“That is what Chaos is,” Elder Ramus gave a wry smile.

“I think we should prepare our defences,” the Alderman interrupted. “Just in case.”

“You don’t think the Watchtower is enough? Despite the Gemheart?” Theo Stuart asked pointedly.

“Nothing wrong with being prepared.”

“Faron’s Crossing’s active defences will cost several chaos shards, nearly a jade mark’s worth for a single hour. Are you prepared to spend a hundred thousand Sovereigns an hour for this?”

Alderman Rivos eyed Eilis, shuddering at the idea of the cost, but said, “Better money spent than left rotting when we all die. I don’t ask that the defences be made active, but that they be ready if needed.”

“That will still entail some costs,” she replied. “I’ll need the Council’s approval for it.”

“All agreed?” Rivos asked.

“Agreed,” Trevor said.

“Agreed.” Both Eilis and Tara Andersen nodded.

“Agreed.” Elder Ramus nodded.

“I suppose I agree,” Stuart grumbled.

“Unanimous. Well, despite the missing members anyway,” Rivos concluded. “The letter of approval will be penned within the day.”

“What’s next?” Elder Ramus asked. “How are our fledgelings doing, Armsmaster?”

“Nearly all who have awakened in the Atavass Ritual have attended supplementary classes, only two have not and I have been given notice that they may not attend the training camp at all. Their Heritage and Facet are not suited for combat.”

“Ah yes,” Elder Ramus nodded. “Ashley Gin and Alric Burrow. Both of their Heritages involved agriculture and animal husbandry.”

“They will likely continue their education in the local school. I will ensure they know and practice basic Anima skills,” Trevor added. The rest of the children are doing relatively well, with a few standouts. Two participants from Cierra Village arrived early and took supplementary classes.”

“Who are the standouts?” Theo asked.

“Heron Muryh has acquired a basic proficiency with his Facet. He can use tier one shields easily in combat. Zeyn Strider’s Facet increased his aptitude with polearms; he is good enough to hold out against a lone Wanderer. And Yuriko Davar. Even though she hasn’t inlaid her Facet yet, she shows great aptitude with Animus manipulation. She managed to activate two techniques at the same time. It's the same technique but applied to two different weapons.”

“Hmph. She’s the Knight-Captain’s child. I’d expect nothing less. She still has not inlaid?” Theo asked.

“No.”

“That’s troubling.”

“Her Heritage is not from the direct lineage.” Elder Ramus noted. “The detection array would have discovered it during her initial assessment.”

“Then it could be something powerful?” Theo asked.

“It may be.” Elder Ramus shrugged. “It could also be from an obscure ability from the distant past. The Facet she activates may not be immediately powerful or even helpful. It is a good thing she is training her basics well. It would be a pity if her Facet does not match her potential.”

“The only thing we can do is wait until she inlays it,” Eilis interjected. “From there, we will know how to direct it. Do not forget that her mother is from Realmheart’s Mishala clan.”

“In either case, let us move on,” Alderman Rivos said. “Thank you for the report, Armsmaster. We look forward to our fledgelings growing strong. Next on the agenda is the City-State of Haveena.”

Theo frowned. “What about those leeches?”

“They are good trading partners, make no mistake,” Rivos said. “Besides, the Federation of the City-States of Rumiga hold their own. They are also strong enough that any attempt to annex them will be costly. Not without the Imperial Legions anyway.”

“Any of you watching the performance later?” Eilis asked.

“No,” Elder Ramus grunted.

“I don’t have the time,” Theo said.

“Seems interesting,” Tara Andersen yawned. “Besides, I have to check that they are following our laws.”

“I don’t have to point out that these people may be spies, right?” Theo said.

“Don’t be foolish. Any trader or visitor from Haveena or the other city-states may be spies. As long as they keep the wealth flowing, it doesn’t matter as long as we don’t air out dirty laundry in front of them,” Rivos said firmly.

“None of them accept the Everlasting Order’s faith. It is why they cannot strengthen their Anima or even harness the knowledge of their ancestors,” Elder Ramus said drily.

“Be that as it may,” Rivos said, “please make sure that that theatre troupe will not be involved in any mischief. Not now when we have an imminent Wyldling Wave.”

“I’ll put some men on them,” Tara said lazily. “Ancestors, that troupe has been making the rounds amongst our towns and villages for a decade now. I think they would’ve found out what they wanted by now.”

“Remain vigilant please,” Rivos frowned.

“Of course, of course.” Tara waved the concern away.

“Now then. Let us continue. Next on the agenda are last Season’s tariff collections. As the Harvest comes closer, I expect more outland traders as well as traders from the capital to arrive. How are the damages from Wyldling incursions, Vice-Commander?”

“Most of the Wanderers were intercepted within a league of the Watchtower. There have been nearly two hundred incursions in the Season of Earth. Most are groups of swarmlings, which contributed thirty percent of the chaos dust we’ve collected. The rest are from a few Wanderers. We’ve suffered twenty percent damage to our crops on the western fields but I am pleased to report that the eastern fields are entirely untouched…”

Trevor yawned surreptitiously into his hand. Now that the council was talking about crops, damages, and harvests, he could barely summon enough interest to listen. He’d rather focus on his meditations. He’d already been a Knight for more than a decade and he would like to be promoted to Knight-Captain within the next five years. Not only will he live longer, but his imperial stipend would also grow to the point where he could finally afford to live a life of luxury in the capital city. He didn’t have the connections to secure a well-paying position nor did he want to return to the army.

Looking at Rivos and Stuart hem and haw about the differences in potential income, Trevor sighed. It was going to be another long session.

59