Book 2-02.2: Reinforcing Gains
1k 5 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After one complete cycle of Strengthen Physique, the strands of Yuriko’s Animus moved out of control. At first, it didn’t feel too strange or alarming as it had done the same thing the first time she did the technique. It wasn’t until the strands shifted over to her physical body, when it moved out of the circulation path she created, that she grew slightly alarmed.

When it began rooting at her bones and marrow, she felt a pinprick of pain. When the strands returned to her core, she felt slightly disappointed, but only until the strands emerged and began to flail wildly both in her Anima and her physical body.

She couldn’t even move, couldn’t scream. That loss of control distressed her more than any kind of pain she felt. When the strands emerged out of her body and into the air around her, she whimpered.

The golden strands danced around her, nudging her blanket and her pillows. It seemed to snag something she couldn’t see before returning to her body. Only then would it continue along the circulation pattern but only for a little bit before it emerged out of her again.

Fri’Avgi’s gem pulsed its light, a bright crimson that brought anger and terror in equal measure. The tendrils of her Animus seemed to sense that light and they gathered around the weapon. From there, they retreated into her body, continuing the pattern then emerging back for more. She sat there frozen for nearly an hour, before her Animus completed another circulation. Then it seemed to give up and fizzled away, leaving her with naught but a tiny fraction of her reserve.

Yuriko gasped as if she had been plunged into freezing water. She collapsed bonelessly on her bed, muscles screaming as if she had run for hundreds of leagues. Her muscles twitched and spasmed, and now she found her voice.

“Ah...aa…”

Tears of fear and pain dribbled down her cheeks while she rolled over and tried to get to her feet. Her legs wouldn’t support her when she tried to stand and she collapsed back on her bed, half falling to the floor.

‘Relax, it's over,’ she thought to herself. And perhaps it was. Her Animus obediently followed her will again and the little bit she had, she circulated in the Gold Recovery pattern. It was like cool water on embers. She felt a final spike of pain before she felt blessed relief.

It was too much for her stressed mind. As soon as Recovery completed, she fell asleep, undisturbed by nightmares or strange dreams the entire time.

She woke to the sun blasting her face with its blinding rays. She rubbed her eyes groggily, just taking several minutes soaking it in. When she felt her lethargy fade away, she bolted up to her feet, nearly tripping when she tangled up with the blankets but somehow she flipped over and landed upright on the floor.

“Ow!”

Recovery repaired muscle tears and wounds and soothed away the pain and soreness. It was no different this morning and she felt in tiptop shape. She flexed her arms, her legs, going on the tips of her toes and twisting to the left and right.

“Whew!”

Nothing was wrong. Whatever happened had not left her with serious harm. However…she didn’t feel stronger. Or if she did, it was so minute that she couldn’t determine it. The first time she did this in Shillogu Woods, the difference had been great enough that she had accidentally torn her clothes while she was washing them.

She walked up to her bonded artefact, tracing the gem on the cross-guard with her fingertips. It was warm to the touch. She needed some answers though and there was probably only one place to get it.

She sat back on her bed and activated her Facet. The next moment, she was in the dreamscape with the feminine form of the Golden Silhouette standing before her.

“Wait!”

Yuriko tried to touch the figure but her hands just passed through the other, as if it were nothing more than light and shadow.

The Golden Silhouette performed the sword dances, first with the twin swords, then with a greatsword. The movements were repeated, highlighting the change in the movements and the flow of Animus when wielding completely different weapons. Despite herself, Yuriko’s attention was caught. She had begun practising the greatsword back in the woods, trying to adapt the three twin sword dances for use with Fri’Avgi.

After a while, she realized that the forms the Golden Silhouette used felt odd. The first dance used the blade mostly to create an opening and the rest of her body to take advantage of the opening it created. The second dance mostly had to do with keeping any enemies away rather than directly parrying. The third dance was direct and vicious. Further, the silhouette danced as if she were carrying a heavy weight and her movements were focused on keeping the sword moving.

Using Fri’Avgi was different since the artefact was incredibly light when Yuriko held it. She could stop the greatsword in midswing and reverse the direction as easily as she did with the side-blade.

“This isn’t going to be as useful,” she muttered. It was unlikely that she would ever wield a greatsword other than Fri’Avgi since she wasn’t strong enough to do so.

The Golden Silhouette gave her an amused glance after she stopped the dance. Then she sat on a seated meditation pose and showed the circulation patterns of Recovery, Boost, and Strengthen Physique in quick succession.

“But the Strengthen Physique didn’t work!”

The silhouette just shrugged and then demonstrated the sword forms and the subsequent meditation techniques again. Before Yuriko could get another word in, the Animus she inserted into her Facet was used up and she returned to her bedroom.

Scratching her head, she changed out of her pyjamas, did her morning ablutions, and dressed herself. Since the weather had already warmed and she wasn’t under the cool shade of the Shillogu Woods, she put on a pair of loose grey shorts that reached to her knees, a camisole under a button-down, sleeveless shirt, and ankle socks to go with her loafers. She left Fri’Avgi in her room, having no desire to lug it around the house. The gem seemed to glow just before she closed the door as she left.

Downstairs, Kato was preparing waffles in the kitchen. He gave her an odd stare. “Aren’t you training?”

Yuriko froze and blinked at him stupidly. “Oh. I, uh, forgot. Ehehehe.”

Kato rolled his eyes. “Well, help set the table then.”

Yuriko decided to continue her training regimen tomorrow, bright and early. The strangeness of her Facet and the Golden Silhouette’s shenanigans had distracted her. Well, the weeks in the forest and in a coma had broken the habit, so she would have to reform it. She just needed to plan the rest of her day.

With a sudden spike of anxiety, she remembered that the last time she saw Braden was when that Hunter had plunged its hand on his back. He had received medical attention immediately and she was sure he was alive.

“Do you know what happened to the other cadets?” she asked quietly.

Kato shook his head. “I’ve had enough on my plate to wonder about random kids. You should ask your friends but I don’t think anyone died. That would have created a huge stink otherwise.”

Nodding, Yuriko sampled Kato’s waffles. They were slightly charred and how he did that was a mystery to her. He did like them nice and crispy though. Grimacing, she drizzled some honey before continuing.

A messenger crane landed in front of her just as she finished.

“After Founding 2997

37th Day of Fire

Ms. Yuriko Mishala Davar

21 West Avenue, Central District

Faron’s Crossing

Dear Ms. Davar,

You are hereby summoned for a debriefing with the Legion Vagaris on the events you have witnessed it combatting the Wyldling Wave. You are expected on the 5th hour of the morning at the Temple, Faron’s Square.

Please arrive on time and bring the artefact you have bonded with you.

Your servant,

Maruko Haru Manuela

Tribunus, Legion Vagaris”

Suppressing a squeal, she handed over the letter to Kato who grunted. Rami yawned as he walked into the kitchen and picked up a couple of waffles. He grimaced at the char on the edges but didn’t complain.

“I”m not sure I’m happy the Legion’s second in command is the one to debrief you. Not surprised, really, since we’re talking about an artefact here.” Kato stared at her. “How did you manage to bond with it anyway?”

“I’m not sure. I was dreaming, and the next thing I knew, I was in the tomb with Fri’Avgi, I touched it, then my Animus was drawn in. We bonded, just like that.”

“Wow,” Rami exclaimed, “How lucky!”

Kato snorted. “I don’t believe in luck or coincidences.”

“You think it wasn’t an accident?”

“Just because you don’t know how things came about doesn’t mean that there are no underlying reasons,” Kato said grimly. “Be careful, sister. Holding an artefact may be more trouble than it's worth.”

“You learned about this in the Academy?”

“There are more history books in Rumiga City than here. I suggest you read up after you enrol.”

“Oh, right!” Rami interjected. “Congratulations on inlaying your Facet!”

“Thanks, Rami!”

“Congratulations,” Kato added.

Yuriko smiled back.

“I’m aware of the laws regarding artefacts, especially of those that came before The Shattering,” Yuriko continued. “I’m not sure which one Fri’Avgi falls under. I’m hoping the Legion can tell me.”

“What if they ask you to turn Fri’Avgi over to them? Will you give it up?”

Yuriko opened her mouth to answer that, of course, she would, but before the words could come out, she felt a spike of anxiety and a swell of determination. Could she give Fri’Avgi over if they asked?

She closed her mouth and looked away. She wasn’t sure. Keeping the artefact against the Empire’s will was a crime and she wasn’t a criminal. On the other hand, Fri’Avgi was something that bonded to her. It also made her stronger and perhaps it would eventually make her strong enough to freely traverse the Chaos and end threats to Rumiga just like Da did.

Just like what her Da was doing now.

What was wrong with her now? Why were her emotions so easily riled up?

“Yuri?”

“Oh, sorry, I just, uhm, I remembered Da was still in the Tidelands. What, any news?”

Kato and Rami exchanged glances and sighed, “None, I’m afraid. But,” Kato said bracingly, “Marron’s organizing a search party. We’ll find out if they’re stuck somewhere or if…”

“Da said they’ll be back by the Full Moon.”

“Other things can happen.”

“Right. You’re right.” Yuriko took a deep breath, smacked her cheeks and forced herself to smile. “I’ll need to go in a bit. I want to talk to Krystal and see how Braden is doing.”

“Oh sure.” Kato gave her a head to toe. “You’ll go out in that?”

“It’s hot out,” she huffed.

“Okay, er,” Kato backpedalled.

Yuriko washed her dish and placed it on the drying rack. She filled her glass with some lavan berry juice from the pitcher beside Kato and drank it down straight. Rami finished eating and offered to wash her glass with his dish. She kissed the top of his head and left.

Krystal was probably still asleep at home. She didn’t want to lug Fri’Avgi around so she decided to leave it in her room and return for it before she headed to the Temple. The walk to the Zorin household was brisk.

Matron Rosie was sweeping her front yard staring at the ground and frowning. Every now and then, she paused, lost in thought before shaking her head and continuing. Yuriko didn’t see what the elderly woman was sweeping. Pebbles and dust?

“Good morning!” She called out and Rosie started.

“Oh, you gave me a fright!” Matron Rosie clutched at her blouse. She gave a somewhat forced laugh. “Good morning little Yuri. Heading to your friends?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Yuriko waved, “Have a nice day!”

She waved back and when Yuriko looked back after walking a block away, the woman was back to sweeping while staring off either to the western skies or on the ground.

Yuriko supposed she was worried about her children. None of them lived with her since all were in one Legion or another. When Matron Rosie babysat Yuriko and Rami the past few years she read them letters from her children’s life. One of them was in Agminis, if Yuriko remembered correctly, though not as a warrior. Most of the letters described what life was like in Rumiga City.

Yuriko came up to the Zorin house’s walkway. Madame Sandra Farrow and Krystal were in the front yard, putting up the festival pole. Her friend was bleary-eyed and yawning into her fist.

“Krys!”

Krystal looked at Yuriko blankly for a second. “Yuri! You’re out of the Temple!” She ran up to Yuriko and enfolded her in a hug. “Wow, I didn’t think they’d let you out so soon.”

“I’m technically fine.” Yuriko turned to Krystal’s mum. “Good morning.”

Sandra gave a strained smile. “Good morning, Yuriko. Any news?”

“None I’ve heard. I’m sorry.”

“No matter, I’m sure he’ll be fine.” Sandra turned to her daughter, “Be back by mid-afternoon.”

Krystal nodded and walked up to Yuriko, looking at her clothes, “You aren’t here to drag me to physical training are you?” Krystal’s summer dress was off-white, ending just above her knees, and she was wearing sandals.

“No,” Yuriko smiled. “I’ll wake you up tomorrow.”

“No.”

“I’ll drag her out of bed for you!” Sandra yelled from the front door.

“Mum!”

“You’ve done nothing but lie about the house or stay in the Temple ever since you came back. You’re putting on weight too! And not in the right places.”

Yuriko awkwardly stood behind Krystal while her friend yelled back, “I’m resting, alright! Ancestors, Mum, we had to fight for our lives the entire time we were in the woods.”

Sandra rolled her eyes. “So’s your dad, and the only way he’ll come back in one piece is if he’s in good shape,” she pointed at Krystal, “you have to be in your best state to have a chance.”

Krystal’s mum entered the house before her daughter could reply. Yuriko patted the other girl’s shoulder. Krystal sighed.

“Where are you going?”

“I wanted to talk,” Yuriko fidgetted, “About, uhm, Fri’Avgi.”

“Figures. Well, let’s head over to the Olde Sweet Shoppe. I want a parfait.”

“Sure,” Yuriko replied. She was craving some sweets too anyway.

41