Book 7-18.3: Poignant Meetings
409 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Threads of Fate must spin to Yuriko’s whim, Gwendith thought, as there was no other way to explain the incredible coincidences that happened.

What were the odds that they would encounter her friends, the very people she wanted to see, a day after they arrived in Western Rumiga? Pretty slim, weren’t they?

Gwendith eyed Yuriko’s childhood friends as they walked towards Rumiga Road. Yuriko chatted with Krystal Farrow Zorin. Gwendith remembered the dark-haired woman back when they were part of an Agaza Cadet Squad. She was an able scout and had the uncanny ability to strike at a target’s weak points. Part of her Facet, Gwendith supposed.

She was also as mischievous as a child and an even worse gossip. Though she did enjoy listening to her when she chattered in the idly moments during a patrol, or even after class.

Her eyes shifted to the squad’s injured and lingered on Peyton. His red hair draped across his eyes and his face was pale. In the intervening years, he’d filled out even more, even if he didn’t grow much taller. He and his family were oathsworn to the Sharine Earl’s service and admittedly, he had been on the shortlist for possible matches for Gwendith back then. She felt little other than pity for him now.

The cuts were severe but with help forthcoming, he would keep his life. He’d even manage to get his limbs back, either by having them regenerated–it was a costly endeavour but part of the remuneration package for militia, legionnaires, or cadets. If he’d prefer, he could also have prosthetic arms and hands made instead. Runescript weaving and proper integration with Animus and Anima would allow an amputee to control and feel through a prosthetic as though they were real limbs, at the cost of a permanent drain on their Animus reserves.

Lastly, she stared at her cousin Asami’s back. Her lips curled derisively.

Devi and Sharine had a long history of intermarriage and they even passed around their title of nobility to each other. That said, the competition between the varied scions was fierce.

Asama was pragmatic and a terrific actress. She was also a capable leader, and it looked like the intervening years had honed her to a sharp point.

She…didn’t know if that was good or bad for her. There was no doubt that the two of them would have to talk, if only to prevent Asami from doing anything precipitous. It was only the fact that there were Federation captives that her cousin hadn’t already cornered her.

‘Haah.’

What should she do? Gwendith held in a sigh, keeping her face placid. She watched Yuriko chat, and drank in every curve and detail. If only she shed that overcoat and exposed her shapely bottom…

She felt heat rising up to her cheeks and she coughed and looked away. Inappropriate thoughts wandered in her mind, but they weren’t perfectly safe no matter how tame the countryside was.

The walk towards the road didn’t take more than an hour, far slower than what they could manage. The Flying Shuttles, if they were the ones that could hold passengers, would take a couple of hours to get here, and the troop transports would take just a bit longer. They had to settle in to wait. Ah, and they had to keep the wounded stable.

Gwendith sat on the road while the others settled down to wait.

________

“Who are you and what did you do to Yuriko?” Krystal said, half playful teasing and the other half somewhat serious. Her friend just blinked in confusion, as if the question she asked a moment ago wasn’t a planar shattering one.

“Eh? What do you mean?”

That same quite adorable blink of confusion. Krystal had doubted her sanity for a moment, but the same mannerisms and the same obliviousness was there. If not for that.

“You just asked me,” Krystal lowered her voice to a whisper while she glanced about, noting that Heron and Mikel were within a few paces. Yuriko’s Animus control was enough to dampen their voices so even if the two boys were nearer, they probably wouldn’t have heard a thing. “You asked me if Heron was infatuated with you.” She continued in a flat tone, “When did you notice?”

“Uhm, back there,” Yuriko gestured vaguely towards the battle site.

“I see.” Krystal sighed. “You do realise that Heron had been head over heels in love with you at least half a decade ago.”

“Eh? Really?” Yuriko’s cheeks reddened slightly and she looked away. “I didn’t really notice.”

“So why now? What…” Krystal frowned and grabbed Yuriko’s hand. It was pleasantly warm. “What happened?”

“I…wait, how long have you known?”

“About nearly the same time?” Krystal rolled her eyes. “It was painfully obvious to those with eyes. Except for you anyway. Hie hie. Ah, so much fun watching you torment him inadvertently.”

“Krys!”

“Right, well…”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

Krystal shrugged. “What would you have done? I’m pretty sure you don’t see him the same way. Oh! Did you know the twins…er, well, that doesn't matter right now.”

“Twins…Orrin and Braden? Are they at Faron’s Crossing also?”

“No. They left for home earlier than we did and…” Krystal frowned. “Cierra Village has been captured.”

“Oh no,” Yuriko gasped.

She started fretting and looked like she’d get up and start pacing. Krystal tugged at Yuriko’s hand.

“Nothing you can do about it now,” Krystal said.

Yuriko shook her head in denial, but she quickly settled down.

“Anyway, I repeat the question. How and why did you notice now?”

“I…well, I’ve seen things. Experienced things.” Yuriko gulped. “I…when I reached Actualisation, I saw visions of my future and…”

“Oh! Do you mean you saw yourself and Heron?” Krystal giggled.

“Uh, no.” Yuriko shook her head. “I…don’t think Rumiga survived.”

A chill ran down Krystal’s spine. No, a veritable freeze. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know,” Yuriko shook her head. “But well, all I know is that something happened and I wasn’t here when it did. That meant…I probably lost you and the others.”

Krystal blinked. “Oh. Well. You’re here now.”

Yuriko grinned and nodded. “Yeah.”

“And? That doesn’t explain your sudden intuition.”

“Er, well, during those lives I’ve had many lovers, and, er, aside from my Mum’s Heritage, I know what to look for now when people are attracted to me.” She nodded towards Heron. “He definitely has that tell.”

“Uh huh. Well, what are you going to do about it?”

“Nothing. He hasn’t said anything and I don’t particularly return the feeling.”

Uh huh. Krystal mentally snorted. ‘Sure, you’re not blushing at all.’ She voiced out loud, “So if he actually says something?”

“I might consider it.”

“Aiiie!” Krystal squealed and impulsively embraced her friend. “I look forward to being entertained. Hehehehe!”

“Urgh!” Yuriko rolled her eyes.

“You’ve got to tell me about the rest of your adventures!”

“I will, of course, but not here. Not right now.” She looked pointedly at the prisoners. “And I’d rather tell it once to all of you rather than repeat myself half a dozen times. Is Millie back home, too? I miss the Olde Sweet Shoppe.”

“No good cafe in Realmheart?”

“There are, but the parfaits there just don’t taste the same.”

“It’s all about food and sweets with you, isn’t it?”

“Well, yeah.”

Yuriko giggled, her laugh carried along the breeze past whatever ward she’d put up against errant sounds. It riveted everyone’s attention to her.

Krystal chuckled. At least some things stayed the same.

__________

Malise gritted her teeth as she struggled to maintain her regenerative trance. One of the first things any Adept learned as soon as they reached the rank, was to replace their older healing techniques with this one. Life was precious, and being able to preserve life in the face of brutal wounds was a key technique.

Little did she expect the technique to be nearly useless now.

Something lingered within the hole in her guts. A golden light that burned not only her Animus but also whatever tissues her regeneration technique created. It kept her at her weakest point, and prevented her from attempting, or even planning escape. The burning light that tore into her…it left a lingering scar in her mind. Fear. Terror. How can she fight against that woman? Better to submit. Better to live.

Under that woman’s gaze, all resistance was moot. Give her your life, give her your loyalty…

No!

Malise gritted her teeth, recognizing the influence for what it was, and finding herself in even more terror. How can she even think to fight back, to escape? She can’t…she can’t!

‘No. No! Please. Spare me, take me under your wing, I will be yours.’

Resistance ebbed and flowed like the waves crashing against the sand. But Malise knew that the bedrock of her mind was slowly eroding away, and if it collapsed, then she would no longer be a Kadrac Ranger. She would be an ardent follower, slave in all but name, to that wonderful and terrifying woman.

A giggle caused waves to pass through her entire self, eroding a bit more of her mind’s bastion.

Then, like heralds of salvation, she heard the sound of the Verdanian’s flying shuttles, come to take the wounded and the prisoners with them.

She couldn’t feel more relief at the thought of being a prisoner of war, of being interrogated and possibly subjected to…

She stared up at the descending shuttles, hope burning bright in her eyes. She dared not look at that woman’s face, but she could feel her presence as she could feel the sun beating down on her head.

Land gods and sky spirits preserve her.

__________

The arrival of the Watchtower’s reinforcements via Flying Shuttle was what finally distracted Heron from his spiralling thoughts. It didn’t take more than a few seconds to realise that he, in fact, had not been dreaming or hallucinating.

Yuriko was right there in the flesh, and after giving him a somewhat cold and distracted look, had spent all of her time talking with Krystal and Mikel.

Not that he could expect anything else, if he was being honest. A year ago, nearly a Season after Yuriko was lost, he had come upon a realisation. Of how much of a creep he acted, especially to Mikel. To the Foster twins, he wasn’t quite sure if he acted inappropriately or not, and he certainly did towards Yuriko.

He had no expectations, and no right to any of them. He hadn’t even made any of his intentions clear. His emotions may be to blame, and himself, of course, for letting them rule his life.

Agaza taught discipline, and with that lens, he found his earlier attitudes and actions to be… well, embarrassing. He told himself never to repeat them.

But.

Those emotions were rising within him again. He wanted to be the sole focus of Yuriko’s attention. He wanted to hold her, kiss her, and…well, other things.

He had little control over his feelings, but how he reacted to them was entirely his responsibility. Only now he could feel those emotions begin to cloud his senses.

Why? Why would he begrudge Krystal and Mikel for their time with their childhood friend? They missed her, for sure. So did he, but he wasn’t a close friend. He wasn’t even a suitor, even if he wanted to be.

Of course, all he needed to do to become a suitor was to make his intentions known.

But a greater part of him was afraid. Fear froze his innards and softened his knees. If he asked and she said no, what would he do? He knew that sticking it out and persisting would probably do the opposite. Well, he knew that now.

Why not just stick to what they had now? Friends and occasional sparring partners?

Only…

Yuriko had far outstripped him in power and skill. The way she defeated the Federation Knight meant that she was also at least a Knight. While he was only a First Order Journeyman. What kind of challenge would he be to her should they spar? Nothing.

So what did that leave him?

Nothing. If things don’t change, then nothing it will forever be.

So he should tell her and end this torment of his.

When they return to Faron’s Crossing. Not now. It would be inappropriate.

“Squad leaders, to me!”

Heron’s wandering thoughts returned to the present.

Armsmaster Byrne led their reinforcements. The balding man’s right arm was of a lighter skin tone than the rest of his body, a testament to its regrowth.

He sighed, stood up and hurried towards the Knight, who was staring at Yuriko, Marron, and the rest of her companions with no small measure of surprise. But then, he focused on the Federation prisoners.

“Sort out the gravely wounded from those who can't wait for the transports,” Byrne said as soon as Heron and Asami approached. “This was a dangerous gambit, you two. You got lucky. Otherwise, only your corpses would have remained. Think about that on your way to the Watchtower.” He nodded brusquely. “Now, I’ll talk to Knight Marron and the others.” He strode off.

Heron turned to give Yuriko a lingering stare. She looked up and met his gaze for a moment, and she gave him a slight smile and a wave.

Euphoria flooded his body and he felt himself grin.

“Come on!” Asami elbowed his side. Hard.

Heron coughed and looked away. “Yeah.”

24