Chapter 4
468 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once he was in front of the building, Leo saw that there were quite a few guards stationed here. They were not dressed in heavily armored clothing or even had newer looking weapons, instead their armor and weapons looked very worn out.

If Leo had to guess, these guards might be more of a militia, instead of the other guards near the walls who were much better equipped. This made sense to Leo since there was apparently a small wave of monsters that was going to attack the village in the next several hours. This also made him more hopeful that he would be able to receive some armor and a weapon regardless of their condition.

If he could even just receive a worn out sword, Leo would feel much more at ease concerning this whole situation. With a weapon, he would be able to at the very least protect himself as he hid in the shadows to avoid being eaten by monsters.

So far, the villagers all seemed to treat him in a very low regard. To Leo, this meant that he would not remain passionate to helping any of the villagers here, but if he was able to save someone without risking himself, he would do just that so he could at least make some friends.

Living in very poor neighborhoods growing up on earth, Leo felt that there would always be more power with numbers. Therefore, he would work hard to find some loyal friends in this area if he could. This way, when it was time to head out, he would at least have more than himself to rely on.

After being checked over by the militia surrounding the building, Leo finally entered. The building from the outside looking in seemed to be rather small with only three stories. However, Leo now just realized that there was an underground passage and there was no telling how far down the tunnel truly was.

"Hey, you little brat, why are you not even wearing armor? I do not recognize you, but we have plenty of armor for you to wear since you seem old enough to hold a short sword properly. Hurry up and head towards the militia hall so that you can properly be prepared for tonight!" someone shouted towards Leo as he approached a new area of the building, walking around in a casual manner in order to not draw more attention onto himself.

To Leo's surprise, there were about fifty militia men covered in worn out armor around him preparing themselves for the wave of monsters at nightfall. The older man seemed experienced and was rather disappointed that Leo was delaying so much. To Leo, it seemed as if this village was truly scared of the monsters who would be approaching and were taking this as seriously as they could.

Upon entering the small hall, Leo saw many teenagers and kids his age suiting up in armor and grabbing spears and short swords. Helping all of them, were the older women of the village while the younger girls were concentrating on taking care of those under what seemed to be children under the age of ten.

No one within this small hall seemed to be taking it slow, rather ever single individual was working diligently in order to prepare themselves. The villagers seemed as if they were used to these types of attacks, but a level of fear could still be seen within their eyes. This was expected, since everyone here was clearly not used to fighting on the front lines to protect the village from dangers such as the monsters that were approaching.

This seemed rather normal given the current set of circumstances. The total amount of villagers taking into account all of the buildings Leo saw on the way over, did not look as if the village had more than one thousand citizens. This meant that regardless of the size of the wave of monsters approaching, not a single warrior who could wield a weapon could be spared and everyone needed to arm themselves properly.

"Hey, you greenhorn, I do not care how scared you are of tonight's attack. It is part of your job as a citizen of this village to protect the women and children as us adults battle the wave of monsters in the front lines!" Hearing a voice, Leo turned around to see who was shouting at him with such a mean tone.

Walking over to Leo, was a man with an eye patch covering one of his eyes. This man was extremely muscular but did not have the same heroic aura he felt when looking at those other guard's master. However, this man still appeared to be extremely skillful and a veteran in battle. With a gaze that could turn his opponents into stone, this figure made a fist before continuing his rant.

"Do not worry, it is very unusual for even one of those monsters to reach the inside of this building during a monster wave. Just suit up and make sure that you have a proper weapon and you should find yourself surviving very easily." explained the man as he casually gave Leo a look over before continuing. "Plus, you will have the older teens taking the lead if a monster just so happens to sneak by. We have all trained very hard over the years, so although we are all rather tired, we are experienced in battle!"

Leo now understood just how terrifying these monster waves were to a village of this size. For a village to implement giving armor to ten-year-old children and weapons just to ensure survival, was not something that was done, unless there truly was a high level of danger. Though, Leo was starting to feel rather alarmed, he still appeared to have himself under control.

"Oh, little one, you do not need to listen to that brute. Just come over here and I will make sure to give you proper equipment, just promise this aunt that you will protect her. Deal?" turning around in the opposite direction, Leo saw a woman approaching him.

This woman seemed extremely poor given that she was wearing no makeup. However, one could say that she still looked very beautiful. With long and curly dark brown hair and a maiden's dress, this person looked as if she couldn't hurt a small bug if she even tried!

Walking over to Leo and grabbing his hand, the middle-aged woman started to pull him towards her small table that had equipment scattered all over it. Within just a few minutes, Leo now had a full set of worn out armor and a leather cap on. The middle-aged woman also gave him a short sword. The armor Leo now had on, did not seem very reliable, but the armor fit his body perfectly!

"Now, look how strong you appear to be. If you pretend to be a strong warrior, your presence alone might scare away any monsters that appear!" Chuckling, the middle-aged woman showed Leo an image of himself.

Though he looked like a terribly poor mercenary, he still accepted all the equipment before heading into a small corner. To Leo, he did not care if the woman even dressed him up in pillows, as long as he was able to wear anything more than a robe, he would be satisfied in this moment. He would be a fool to not accept free equipment, since his only objective was survival right now.

11