Chapter 5
389 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sitting in the corner, Leo felt the time slowly fly by. He watched on as the villagers would console each other and giving each other pep talks. This reminded him of some of the movies he saw at the theater back on earth. A scene would be set in a movie that showed many warriors preparing for battle and conversations would happen as an additional caution.

"The unity these villagers have is not surprising. From some of the conversations they have had with each other, dealing with monster waves is something that happens quite frequently here. Even on earth, humans would throw everything away and work together just to survive." feeling a little more at ease from seeing the villagers coming together, Leo began to relax a little more.

Leo was lucky to have been born in a time back on earth where his country did not see even small scale campaigns against others. Thinking back to those peaceful days made Leo realize how blessed he actually was in his past life.

"Some of those militia men look like they are very battle hardened. If I am not mistaken, they would be very strong warriors, it is too much of waste that they are only able to wear worn out armor." Leo pondered to himself.

Every militia warrior he saw within this hall appeared to be extremely well build with their muscles bulging out of their armor. If one were to look at this scene, they would think that these warriors were more fearsome than even the Spartans Leo learned about in school.

After several more hours had passed, all of the militia men started to leave the building, leaving only some of the older teenagers in charge. This did not affect Leo in the slightest since no one expected an outsider to be effective at all if a battle were to happen within the building. He even received some hidden ridicule from other villagers close by, but he ignored them.

Awaiting for the monster wave to appear, Leo was starting to become a little impatient. This caused him to reevaluate the events that led him to this moment. This made him remember something from earlier outside of the village.

Taking out the card again, Leo spent some time looking over the card. He would flip it around, look at it closely, and had some hope inside of himself that he would be able to find some clue to understand what exactly this item was. Leo felt puzzled, but enjoyed seeing such a clear image of a bear like figure.

"It seems that no one except for myself can actually see the item in my hand." thought Leo as he started to hear the other villagers reacting to watching what he was doing. The villagers started to think that Leo had a mental disorder and that he was playing with an imaginary object. Those who ridiculed him secretly earlier, started to become even louder.

Some of the older teenagers observed Leo and decided to leave him alone. They felt that Leo being both young and an outsider, led him to lose himself mentally due to the fear of death from a monster wave. Knowing this, they felt it was easier to just leave him be and to concentrate on the upcoming wave of monsters.

Roar!

All of the sudden, loud roars could be heard from outside of the village. These roars from the monsters was able to shake the building as if an earthquake was happening nearby. Some of the babies within the hall started to cry, but everyone else remained rather calm as if this was not shocking to them.

Though the villagers have lived through many of the monster waves, there was still fear that they would be killed. Although they remained silent, some of those who were frightened couldn't hold back the look in their faces.

Beep Beep Beep!

Leo suddenly looked in front of where he was sitting to see the blue screen appearing again. However, looking back down at the card within his hand, he saw that the card was now glowing in a faint light. It was almost as if this screen and the card were connected in some mysterious way!

Quickly looking back at the blue screen, Leo was surprised by what he had just seen. What was even more confusing, was that no one around him had a clue what was happening as the villagers continued to have their own conversations among themselves.

-Insert monster card into the screen to learn a skill or trade it for an exp pill-

"Learn a new skill or trade it for an exp pill? What the hell is an exp pill?" pondered Leo as he thought about what to do now. This was completely new to him and he felt it rather difficult to remain calm. He was about to go through a potential battle with monsters, and now this blue screen appeared to give him this message?

"If this card can give me a new skill, wouldn't that help me increase my chance of surviving tonight? Maybe this can be what gives me more strength?" trying to decide what to do, Leo continued to brainstorm to himself. Though he was surrounded by battle hardened warriors, there was still no telling how strong the monsters they would be facing were.

"In a video game, experience helps you level up, but I do not even see my current level. Also, I do not even have any skills right now. Maybe I will trade this card for a skill, this way, I know that I can at least have a trump card up my sleeve if I run into anything unexpected." rubbing his face with both hands as if he had a headache, Leo was about to make his choice.

Finally deciding what he would do, Leo made his move.

Inserting the card like a debit card into the screen and clicking the -learn a new skill- button. A small list of two skills popped up for Leo to choose from.

-Berserk Lv.1: This skill increases the users attack power. However, side effects including losing their minds during battle.

-Bronze Skin Lv.1: This skill makes the user's skin as hard as bronze. This allows the user to protect themselves against low leveled attacks.

"Berserk looks like it could really come in handy if I am on the offensive, but, Bronze Skin looks like it can help me survive longer. For right now, defense and survival skills mean more to me than offensive ones." pondered Leo as he thought about other aspects on how to increase the likelihood that he would survive the night successfully.

"Besides, if I am able to survive tonight's monster wave, my possible quest reward could even be an offensive skill." thought Leo as he clicked on the Bronze Skin skill. He was not worried about what he would receive upon surviving since there was still a chance that he would die tonight.

Beep Beep Beep!

-New skill added. Open up status window to view changes-

"Status window?" Leo asked out loud now while a new smaller blue screen appeared before him.

"What?" Leo was taken back as he saw his status screen pop up like there was nothing to it.

13