Chapter 29: Twice The Fun
677 0 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 29: Twice The Fun

A carriage enchanted and crafted by a powerful archmage was, by no means, a joke. Although the carriage staggered due to an unknown projectile hitting, it didn’t have any signs of damage aside from the light scent of smoke drifting in the air. The inside remained the same, and though I couldn’t see the outside frame, I am quite sure that the damage would be at most a dent. The carriage also didn’t flip over. A magical rune even shone, protecting Eyad from being thrown away. Aside from the unlucky steeds, everything was perfect.

“Princess, two weird men are standing before us. They were the ones who stopped the carriage. What should I do?” Eyad trembled, whistling a worry-laced tune in caution. While talking, his two eyes zeroed on our new dear guests. He had already pulled out his staff, carefully watching the two.

I lolled a gaze back to the fist-sized green glutton called Alistair. A unique feeling rose from me as I watched the greeny that had bitten my finger. It burped as it rolled on my lap. The gratitude and burbling happiness that it felt after being fed with a massive amount of mana had been transferred straight to my thoughts. I lifted my finger and tried poking it again. This time, it accepted my finger snuggle. Even enjoying it to the fullest like the nibbling little one sitting on the other side of my lap. I played with the two green balls, one tiny while the other fist-sized. The two had assisted me in soothing my troubled emotions.

"Ask them who they are?" I said. From now on, everything would rest in fate’s hand again. Coming out unscathed would be the best. Death would be the worst. Failure had its consequences. I held my breath and decided to wait. “Then, buy us time.”

I sighed and eyed the little green one. It continued to engross itself with nibbling, but this time, it took control of my other finger, bumping against the fist-sized Alistair. Ah, what a cute fellow. I took a deep breath as a light beam slowly bloomed over my face. “Oh, maybe you also have a name, [Appraise].

Name: [Maggie - Named Wind Spirit]

Lvl: 20

Title: Whispering Wind

 

“...”

“Maggie?” I choked.

 

[The last spot for your wind spirit pool had been triggered. The prerequisites for a spirit contract had been fulfilled again. Blood of a Spirit Mage; Agreement of the Spirit, Calling the True Name of the Spirit, and Mana. The Spirit Contract will now automatically commenced again.]

 

A smaller version of the magic circle appeared below the little green ball. Soon, it sucked out the mana in me again. I expected that it would have a little stomach as compared to Alistair but…

“Ugh.” I clawed my face. A powerful dizzy spell battered me. I gasped, shutting my eyes, gripping the carriage’s armrest lest I accidentally lose my balance. I grimaced, opening one eye, throwing a paling sneer at the little monster. “I was done in by my curiosity. I never thought that you’re not a sheep but a gluttonous wolf.”

Little Maggie flinched as if it understood my words. Its proverbial eyes pleading for a little more mana, saying sorry while continuing to sap and drain me to the point of exhaustion. Clearly, she was not sorry at all.

I hiccuped, finding the little blob harder to deal with as compared to the burping ball. “Damn, even if I have an ocean as a mana pool, I still don’t like the feeling of being sucked dry. Don’t give me that look, If I say no, it’s a no…

“...”

Then, it gazed at me like I stole its candy. Then, my fickle heart melted. “Arghh! Fine, fine, take it! Take it fast!”

It hopped in the air, celebrating its victory against the rotten me. Tsk, I’m really weak against cute fellows. Then, little greeny resumed its work as my mana pool’s personalized mini-vacuum cleaner. I almost fell straight to the carriage’s carpeted floor as it sucked my mana. The feeling of lightheadedness had filled me. I felt like I was suffering from those unspeakable days every month when I have to suffer from blood loss.

Soon, another notification screen flashed before my eyes.

 

[The contract is now completed. You are now the host of the whispering wind. Congratulations, the title (Host of the Tempest Wind) had evolved to (Host of the Whispering Tempest)]

[Your wind spirit contracts have been rendered filled. You won’t be able to contract any wind spirits anymore.]

[You had earned a rare skill, [Wind Whisper].

 

The message made me sigh in relief. Ah, it finally ended.

I swiveled, watching the little buddy, rolling like sushi on my lap. One look and I knew it was bloated. Just like the tempest spirit, it also swayed left and right, acting like a drunk man. I sneered. That’s what happens when you’re still underage and huggles a barrel of alcohol all by yourself.

Nevertheless, it didn’t forget to transmit its thanks straight to my thoughts.

I giggled, glancing at two blobs of green sitting satisfied on my lap. One on my left, the other on my right. I could feel a mysterious tingling connection between the three of us. I don’t know how to describe it. Should I say, ‘I feel like a married wife’? Bah, but I had never married even in my last life. This aunt had been single all her whole life. But for some reason, the three of us knew what each other felt.

“Status,” Ignoring the weird feeling, I whispered.

 

Status Panel

 

Name: Victoria Rothfield Rosenberg
Level: 2
Job: Princess (Fallen), Spirit Mage
Race: Human
Title: [Witch of Rothfield] [Untested Strategist] [Host of the Whispering Tempest]


General Skills:

[Language of Another World]
[Etiquette Lvl. 6]
[Basic Mana Manipulation Lvl.1]
[Wind Arrow Lvl. ↑5 (New)– Tempest Wind]
[Wind Whisper Lvl. ↑2 (New) - Whispering Wind]

 

Abilities:

[Spirit Eye Lvl. 4]
[Appraisal Lvl. 1]
[Scent Tracking Lvl. 1]

 

Spirit Pool (Partial):

Full [Wind: Alistair the Tempest Wind, Maggie the Whispering Wind]
[Water: None]
[Fire: None]
[Earth: None]
[Void: Victoria's Soul Fragments (Damaged)]

“A new skill, huh? How does this work.” I chortled a little. The voices outside turned louder and louder, waking me up from my reverie. Not all good things last alright. Eyad’s once brave tune was starting to turn into light mumbling whispers.

I tried to check out what was happening outside. From the looks of it, Eyad was still talking to our guests. Tension had built its way outside. Oh, for some reason, I also felt a few people breathing lightly as they skulked behind the twisting trees. There was no need to ask who they were. Just like the two mysterious men who blocked our way, they were also uninvited guests. I am fully aware of where they came from. I sighed, muttering under my breath. “Men from the assassin’s guild.”

Maybe I should also tell Eyad. The moment I thought of that, I felt my connection with little Maggie activating. The cute blob raised its head, jumping up and down. All of a sudden, my lips moved involuntarily, guided by the little green spirit, “[Whispering Wind].

Then, I took a gulp, feeling a bit stunned. What in the hell happened? I shifted my gaze and saw little Maggie puffing its chest, pointing at the praying mage. I curiously looked at the little greeny, trying to confirm my thoughts.

It nodded, confirming my suspicions. What a useful skill, I smiled. “Whispering wind.”

I cuddled little Maggie finding her title apt for her ability.

I understood her thoughts and gazed at the odd robed Eyad. I saw his back flinching for a moment gazing left and right. His guard rose another notch. Then, he turned back at me, his face ashen white, his lips moving slightly, just enough for only the two of us to hear. “Was that you, princess?”

I nodded in turn. Putting a finger on my lips, I asked for his cooperation and silence. And just as expected, he slowly bowed to me, adding some theatrics along the way. It’s good that he knew how to catch up. Just as I would expect from a veteran mercenary.

Wait, maybe I could use this.

All of a sudden, I had a unique epiphany. The flowing thought had caught me off guard, making me lose focus for a few seconds. Soon, my eyes shone in delight. A grin slowly crept, raising the sides of my lips. I have a new weapon in my magical arsenal. Thoughts flowed rapidly as I churned out a haphazard plan. It’s now or never.

I shifted my gaze at my two new friends. I asked a few questions, wondering if my guess were correct. I gave them three questions that would serve as the foundation of my plan.

The first one was for both of them.

Could they control my mana? The first answer was affirmative. I scowled after sensing the two green balls watching me like a glutton. Their proverbial saliva dripping on their chubby lips. The ordinary wind spirits were also gathered around, skittering as they gazed with envy at the tempest and whispering wind. Don’t worry I had also included you guys in my plan. I grimaced looking fed up outside, but inside, I almost guffawed.

The second one was for little Maggie. I asked whether I could send my thoughts to everyone around me. Another affirmative but it had a limit. According to her, she could help me reach everyone, a maximum of a hundred meters. Yes, for some reason, I felt like that the nibbling wind spirit was a she. The way she talked was akin to a young little girl. I closed my eyes and sensed that all the actors and actresses for my little play were indeed within reach. How did I know? The wind whispers told me so.

As for the third question, I pushed a finger against the tempest wind, Alistair. My thoughts flowed to it. It shuddered for a moment before it threw a gaze, full of disdain. ‘I’m the tempest! I could do it as long as you give me spirit mana!” I glared at the proud wind spirit. This glutton! You’ll turn into a fat green ball at this rate.

“Show yourself!” A powerful boom echoed. I felt a heavy aura filling every nook and cranny of our carriage. Majesty and power intermixed in that voice, rattling the once peaceful carriage akin to a stormy wave. Our guests had started to overstep their bounds. What should a good host do when such guests act up? I curled my jet-black hair. An evil smile slowly drifting into my lips.

I sent my thoughts and plans both to Alistair and Maggie. Asking them to acquire the help of the other wind spirits laying around me. I also informed Eyad through the whispering spirit.

I lifted the rims of my precious glasses, readying myself for the upcoming show.

“You really won’t show yourself?” An aged voice cackled. “We won’t hurt you. We just want to see who’s the one assisting the little archmage from behind. Come out and talk to us. Or maybe you can’t…am I correct dear princess?”

Unlike the commanding call before, this one had a unique flavor of a snake. His sound reminded me of the demagogues of the old. Each word of his enunciated like honey but tasted like poison. Nevertheless, they weren’t even sure if it’s indeed me, the Witch of Rothfield. After all, if they knew, this carriage would already be on the receiving end of a magical bombardment.

“You want assurance, huh?” A dark smirk formed on my lips. “Too bad you’ll fail.”

I gently opened the carriage door, crafting a prim and proper look. A light innocent smile lifted the sides of my lips. I decided to pull no stops, adding all my old world’s corporate drama experience while also intermixing all the great drama movies and series that I watch.

As soon as my feet landed on the ground, all the wind turned stale and silent. Not even a tiniest whisper leaked out. All as if a goddess had decided to come forth from the depths of heaven, gracing the mortals with her indescribable beauty.

Now, it’s my turn... mortals.


Ehem, if you want advanced chapters, please do check out my Patreon so that you could read all that I had written in stock.  

30