Chapter 32: Calm Before The Storm
676 0 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
At last, I've finally completed volume 1 at chapter 36 at my Patreon. So we're a few chapters away from the first arc. Thank you for staying with stickin' to this novel everyone. Enjoy!

Chapter 32: Calm Before The Storm

A few hours ago before the event dubbed as the calamity of the Dead Forest had taken place.

In the royal capital of Carmandy, Ariowell.

The towering royal castle had cast its shadow over the nobles’ manors not only in the capital but also in the far-flung areas of Carmandy. Although everything appeared normal outside, you’ll change your mind once you saw the crimson splatters dripping on the stone pavements.

Tension broiled over the hearts of all the citizens of the capital, a great number of old nobles had been dragged out and displayed dead outside their manors. Various bloody heads rolled over the streets, screams of agony and fear had dwelled the royal capital’s every nooks and cranny.

The dreadful cries had turned the once crowd filled streets of Ariowell nothing but an empty husk of its usual glory. Aside from the clanking armors and sword screeching against each other, followed by death throes, the streets echoed no sounds at all.

The market and stores were all closed after catching a whiff of upcoming chaos. All the citizens shuddered, wondering what was happening. They hid inside their houses blocking their doors with furniture while peeking from their windows.

The political drama in Carmandy had finally reached its peak. Battles raged from manor to manor leaving even the innocent trembling. The dirty blood of the kingdom washed the streets as the purge crept towards those who’re on Victoria’s list. It took a year to smoke them out. After all, not everyone lurking in Carmandy was on the side of the kingdom. There might be backlash from the other countries but Victoria had already crafted a plan for those things.

Inside the royal castle, the king's audience room.

The giant grandfather clock continued to play its tune despite the madness that was happening outside. It carefully entertained the remaining nobles in the room, ticking as it watched the three shadows in the middle.

The current owner of the throne of Carmandy had cast her lot, using all of her remaining political clouts to flip the tables over, she made a decision. If she had not done so, she would be the one eaten up to the bones. And as of now, the tides were in her favor. And just as planned, the royalist had started their coordinated attacks all over Carmandy. In one swoop, they had attacked various nobles after confirming their dubious affiliations. Not sparing those spies-cum-merchants, and even those few rats in the slums.

Sitting on the crimson-tinted throne was a lady wearing a tiara, the princess regent of Carmandy. The only remaining active member of the once glorious royal family. She continued to flick one parchment after another, reading it with zeal. Her sky-blue tinted hair sashayed, bobbing left and right like moving clouds.

From time to time, she would peer on the black-haired emerald-eyed archmage wearing a large wizard hat. A bit of fear and interest flashing in her regal eyes. Finally, managing to gather all wits and courage, she decided to ask one question out of curiosity. Then, she lifted her gaze, “Saria, are you really the one who crafted all these plans? All by yourself?”

The lady archmage stared at her niece, cold, “What of it?”

“Kuhumm,” an old ragged but burly knight coughed. He shifted a gaze at the archmage, a wry smile showing on his face. “She’s the princess regent, Lord Archmage, please talk to her with a little bit of respect.”

“Shut up, old man! I don’t acknowledge any position of power before me. Not even the Empire nor the Union had managed to make me even bow.” Saria strode towards the big map of Endramion, pointing at the tiny country called Carmandy. “So don’t start talking about some princess on her stupid high horse especially in a puny backward nation like this.”

The old knight choked. He opened his mouth but immediately closed it again after discovering that he had nothing to refute. All the nations had nothing but awe and fear to those who had the title archmage. So yeah, the archmage reply was apt, what of it?

“It’s okay, Lord Knight Maurius,” the gullible princess let out an awkward smile, scratching her cheeks a little. “We’re family.”

“Hmnpp,” Saria scowled, “Family my ass, Elizabeth! Even though, I’m helping you it’s only because of pity. Once this is done, I won’t ever be returning to this place! Not one bit!”

She eyed the princess and the man titled Lord Knight, sneering. “I have not forgotten what this rotten royal family has done to Victoria! I still remember the Lord of Cloves and his son!”

“We, I, had no idea at all,” the old knight uttered, gritting his teeth. His voice weakened into whispers, losing its gait and strength. “But…”

“Shut up old useless douchebag!” Saria snarled like a tigress, giving what she thought was respect.

“You!” Nevertheless, he immediately deflated. He knew that he had been nothing but useless dead weight in this chaos. Aside from his sword skills, he was not able to help the princess in making difficult decisions. The archmage was the only one that managed to change the course of battle in Carmandy. All through her political and economical finesse.

He looked at his sword and shook his head, asking himself, ‘What’s the use of this?”

The princess shuddered, gripping the throne’s armrest with difficulty. Her face paling with every second. She turned her gaze away from the archmage’s burning glare. It was already too late. All too late. She had given the authority to the high council which she shouldn’t have. The high council had ushered her to give authority to them. And she agreed without knowing the consequences. She should have waited more and had not decided with her emotions.

Her little sister, Victoria, had died grimly under the flames. It was her fault. It was already too late when she discovered that all had been caused by the prime minister. If Saria had not arrived, she would hold the throne while being nothing but a puppet.

Elizabeth bit her lips, gazing at her two shaking hands. For some reason, she saw a tint of blood, the blood of Victoria. If she had only listened to the explanations of the Lord of Cloves. His bloody fury and cries would have not painted the walls of the royal castle with scarlet paint.

“Little Sister.” She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, calming herself down. Caressing the armrest of the throne she had once so admired, she discovered that being a ruler was not all glitters and gold. But rather, it was all about blood and conspiracy. Perhaps not in every kingdom, but in Carmandy, it was indeed so.

The Kingdom’s princess regent stood up from her throne and turned her head at Saria. Then, she did something unprecedented in the whole history of Carmandy’s prideful royal family. On her two knees, she bowed. Her head hitting the ground as her shoulders shook. “This is the only thing I could do. Not one word is great enough to describe my stupidity back then. Forgive me.”

The old burly knight felt his heart, stopping for a moment. He rushed towards the princess. Immediately lifting her from the crimson carpet. “D-Don’t do this, princess.”

As for Saria, she also stumbled a little but was able to immediately regain her composure. She felt a bit of guilt, her frozen gaze melting for a second. Nevertheless, after she remembered the death of Victoria’s innocent little lover, the air turned stale again.

Silence descended. The archmage and the princess had a tacit understanding to keep it so.

All of a sudden, Saria flapped her burgundy cape, a white-colored magical staff a head-taller than her appeared out of nowhere. The archmage grasped the staff, striding towards the large royal door, pushing it with magic wide open. Her cold eyes gazed at the princess, then to the old knight.

Sensing that something was wrong. The old knight immediately pulled his sword out, lifting his shield laying beside his hilt. He stared at the intricately-designed royal door.

Then, he heard a picking icy voice from the Archmage whose title was ‘Magus of Ice and Fire’. “Someone’s finally visiting us, I’ll show them how I treat any unwanted guest. Move Elizabeth to safety as planned. This might be their last-ditch effort to take control of Carmandy. It's indeed never good to have too much while being too weak.”

The old knight nodded.

The archmage had already told them the possibility of being attacked. At least, she expected that it would be the assassin’s guild.

The Lord Knight frowned and stared at the archmage, his face showed his mixed emotions. After all, he was the one who should have been holding the fort. Nevertheless, for some reasons unknown, Saria decided to take the mantle from him.

Elizabeth and the old knight then moved behind the throne. The princess regent bit her fingers, lifting her thumb against the brick wall. All of a sudden, the wall shuddered, a stairway had appeared out of nowhere. The stairs went downwards to the unknown. Only the royal family knew where it would lead to.

But before leaving, the princess regent held her steps. She threw a glance towards the archmage, uttering her words in light whispers, “Please… take care.”

Then, she and the old knight trudged down towards the depths, their backs growing blurrier with every step. Soon, thick bricks floated out from the open stairway, forming a new wall.

Saria shifted her eyes towards the new wall and sighed. She put her fingers on her chin, sighing, “Did I go too far?”

Lifting her white-hued staff, she gave the golden royal door which was about to close itself a last glance. She strode out, continuing her waltz alone through the wide royal corridor. With each of Saria’s steps, a weird feeling of peril arose. The temperature changed from wintry cold to burning hot. If Victoria was here, she would once again see the burning raiment that she once saw before.

She sauntered while fully alert. Her guard was clearly up, only increasing with her every step.

All of a sudden, she stopped. The hallway turned pin-drop silent. The blowing wind whispers stopped flowing. The wide royal hallways turned a bit ethereal. All as if she was looking at a painting. The shadows were far bleaker than before. The murky shades that were weaved by the flickering mana gems felt nothing but alive.

Its dingy eyes staring at the youngest archmage of Endramion.

“Welcome guest.” The archmage flashed a sneer, welcoming the empty halls. She squinted at the shadow, finding it a bit familiar. “Oh, what do we have here? The old runaway rat has decided to give me a visit.”

Swish. Swish. Swish.

Precisely aimed at Saria’s throat, dark-colored knives flew from the hiding shadows. One thing was for sure, the guest wanted nothing but the archmage’s life.

“[Ice Wall]!”

The sharp knives were hastily blocked by the freezing wall that rose from the ground.

“What a rude greeting,” said Saria, chortling. “So this is the reason why I couldn’t find you anywhere, huh. Come out, Alfonse. It’s been a long while, ain’t it?”

Yet, no answer came back. The shadow simply clouded the whole hallways, waiting for another chance to strike.

“No answer? Have you finally become mute?” Saria’s gaze flickered before shaking her head. She patiently waited for a reaction but found none. “You’ve grown. If you’re still that gullible young man from before you’d be already rushing towards me like a monkey. Hah, how I miss those good old days.”

Then Saria uttered something incomprehensible. A secret only a few knew. “Anyway, how’s the cursed scar that I had given you? Still feeling a bit chilly?”

All of a sudden, a dark tune echoed in the hallways. It was like a whisper but you would feel the burning fury laced within. “S-a-r-i-a!”

The dark shades hiding in the royal corridor squirmed in resentment at the words of the archmage. Nevertheless, it didn’t show itself, refusing to be baited. The archmage’s acquaintance took his time in the shadows, waiting for a little mistake – a chance to strike cold.

 


Thanks for reading. If you want advanced chapters, please do check out my Patreon so that you could read all that I had written in stock. It's already about 6 chapters advanced and is still increasing. 

27