Chapter 11: Rebels
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lord Mogus, the fort doesn’t seem to be very heavily fortified. There are some spots where anti-aircraft should have been but it’s clearly dismantled. Also, the armory barely has any scraps left. Only a couple of spare rifles and some ammunition in addition to the soldiers who were already armed. Nothing of excitement really.” Karlen sat across from Mogus who stood in Benjamin's office behind a desk. 

 

Unlike Benjamin, the room seemed extremely plain, only containing a dull painting of an open field containing a few horses and a couple of chairs in front of a large black wooden desk that was made by an excellent carpenter. Behind the desk stood Mogus as he stared out from a large window towards the north.

 

He listened to Karlen as he inspected the Hellflames. Seeing them graze on the open plains outside the fort, he felt a hint of pride and relaxation.

 

“I understand. Kan-Celeste will arrive soon, has the land been prepared? Will there be any troublemakers we need to get rid of?” Coming back to himself, Mogus turned around and started searching through the desk.

 

“Well.. There are some farmers that are quite reluctant to let go of their land, but I can sort it out with a couple of men without any violence.” Karlen answered.

 

“Great, take Jaharns team. Also.. Call over the.. Nevermind, they won’t be able to understand me.” Sighing, he took out all the papers and prepared them on the desk according to their layout.

 

“Yes, sir!” Saluting, he resolutely walked out, not seeing the strange stare he got from Mogus.

Karlen stood outside the office looking around until he spotted a familiar demon that was polishing his blade on a barrel nearby.

 

“Leader Jaharn! Lord Mogus has ordered for you to escort me in pacifying the farmers in the north.” Seeing the demon whom he had shared the horse with, he felt a bit awkward.

 

“Got it.” Giving him a nod, Jaharn whistled as he jumped up from the barrel and began walking out of the fort towards the Hellflames.

 

As they approached Jaharns Hellflame. 9 other demons appeared, mounted atop their Hellflames.

 

“Haha, Leader Jaharn, you seem to be destined with this kid.” The leading demon, who seemed a bit older than the rest of them, mocked Jaharn as everyone laughed.

 

“Oh yeah Flaut? You wanna be the one carrying him? Come on, the sooner we finish this, the sooner we can go.” Jaharn glared at Flaut as he raised a fist.

 

“Ah come on, don’t be a downer. C’mere Karlen, as an elder, I’ll teach you some stuff.” Giving Karlen a big smile, Flaut patted the back of the Hellflame as a glint of mischievousness flashed in his eyes.

 

“Err. It’s alright, I’ll stay with Leader Jaharn.” He laughed nervously as he struggled to sit on Jaharns Hellflame.

 

“Bahaha! Flaut, you’re losing your edge, even a kid like him could see through you, just retire already!” One of the demons behind him jeered.

 

“You wanna see my edge ah?!” Flaut rode next to the demon and give him a punch.

 

“Ah ah ah, Great Leader Flaut, forgive me!” The demon laughed in between his begging.

 

“Settle down, let’s get going.” Jaharns voice immediately put an end to their bickering as the group followed him.

 

Galloping towards the town, Karlen could already see dozens of young people in dirty clothes standing in front of the town.

 

Seeing Jaharns team approach, they started shouting.

 

“Leave Einzalt pigs!”

 

“Yeah! Our great Republic will take back our land!”

 

“Leave!” 

 

The people thought that it was only natural that these invaders were from Einzalt, as it was the only country at war with Jusla. 

 

Although their appearance and the appearance of the Hellflames made them hesitate, they rebelled.

 

They still had no information about what happened in the fort, and only saw that the Jusla white, orange, blue tri-colour above the fort had changed. Though they were not Einzalts flag, it clearly wasn’t any of Juslas.

 

“Solve this. We can’t speak with them, only you can. Think of it as a trial.” Jaharn glared at them as he spoke to Karlen.

 

Nodding, Karlen jumped off the Hellflame and approached the people with a smile.

 

“Sirs and Madams, please calm yourselves, there is no reason for outrage, no harm shall come to you if you peacefully surrender!” Karlen tried to make himself appear as harmless as possible with a light smile and calm body language.

 

“Leave Einzalt dog!” A young man grabbed a rock from the ground and threw it at him.

 

Turning his body to dodge it, he tried to persuade them again.

 

“Please listen to me. We are not from Einzalt. We are from the Kanas Empire. I guarantee and swear on my honour as a man, no harm will come to you. Just return to your homes and even all this will be forgotten!”

 

The crowd grew quieter as they thought about it.

 

Normally, an army should’ve already been posted in the town to maintain order, but this invading army only stayed in the fort and left it once they had appeared. Even the flag and uniform appeared to be different, in fact, who even rode horses in a proper army anymore?

 

They hesitated as some of the weaker-willed people even began to show signs that they were about to surrender.

 

“Don’t believe him! I’d recognize an Einzalti dog accent anywhere!” An older man in the back shouted in a gruff as he threw his pitchfork in the midst of gasps towards Karlen.

 

“Ah!” Staring at the pitchfork approaching him, he shouted disbelievingly.

 

A flash of red appeared in front of him as the pitchfork was cut in half and sent flying.

 

“You’ve failed.” Jaharn spoke softly.

 

1