Chapter 1: Survivor
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This will technically be my third or second story with some kind of plot mapped out. The one where I was writing on the run was a warm up where I found my writing inadequate. I took a pleasant week to relax, reading the other author's work of fiction, and have try to figure out how to go about writing. In my heart of heart, I believe I can churn something out of value. Experiences, vocabulary, strong verbs, and the good ole grammar rules are all that is giving me trouble so far. Plus god knows I suck at characters' dialog and visual description of actions, events, and showing.

Chapter 1: Survivor

I tighten my new Casnite ax to my right leather holster and strap my supply bag to my back with a belt over my chest. The bag contains ten days’ worth of ration in dry meats, five loaves of bread, a firestone lighter, and a leather bag of water; with preparation done, it is now time to head out to the Karsa forest for the Ashen Grove. With everything prepared, I advance toward the beige wooden door of my home. I drew the door open to the sight of morning folks strolling along the muddy roads of Pine Green going about their business. The sun’s warmth wash over me and my skins tingle with fervor as blood rushes up and down my vessel.

My focus renews by the visit of a distinct sharp and lemony yet refreshing breeze. Swathes of green spears line my vision as I kept march toward the village’s gate. Two guards stood rock solid as they gaze over my figure. They are both sports with a familiar leather armor that bears the crest of a straight pine tree while holding a spear each.

I gave them a sober smile and a wave as our distance thin with each passing step of my leather boots. Their face loosens up with a knowing smile as I reach the post.

Rustin and Dalos were the names of the two guards for today’s tower watch. With five years under my belt to the woods around Karsa. I can say with pride that I know the names of almost every guard. Rustin drifts over to me while Dalos stay guard at the wooden gate.

Rustin’s figure was stocky, with barrels for chests and biceps that could only make one envious. His eyes sharp and beneath it were ripples, a shade of deep ocean with seaweed green coloration, accompany by curls of brown that highlight his strong chisel jawline. His mouth lifted into a usual grin as he greeted me when I am about to go gather woods, “Brail!, you rich bastard, I see that you got a new ax this time. I haven’t seen you for two weeks man, you didn’t hook up with one of them pretty girls now, did you? That also reminds me, how goes the deal with old man Jake? I hope he didn’t shorten your stipend for the regular delivery.“

I shot back my reply with a low chuckle to Rustin’s query, “Nah, the old geezer wouldn’t dare to shorten my pay. Magic infuse woods don’t grow out of anywhere here, and they for sure don’t deliver themselves. Also, why would I visit one of those supposed fine ladies in the black district? “.

He patted me on the back and continue. “I figured your situation hasn’t change given that you would still be a loner after five years. But I mean it Brail, you need to settle and get yourself a lady. Life is short and your occupation doesn’t help with prolonging it very much. “ giving me his best playful grin.

I could only smirk, and tell him, “I have seen a fair share of how Sarah deals with you, and I don’t think I want any part in marriage yet. My dashingly good looks will last another twenty years, so I can afford to wait.“

Rustin took a long breath before telling me with hilarity painted on his face, “Another word about Sarah, and I will shove this spear up your rear, Brail! But yeah, you are right, I can’t go out drinking a mug of ale with my buddies as often. What I would give to have a day where she isn’t pestering me to attend the church of Reeva for a fertility blessing. Hell, I haven’t had a peaceful day since she wanted a baby. Now my hips all sore. I can’t believe it, but I hate to say that I am sick of giving a fuck.“

We both crack up in laughter as I offer both Rustin and Dalos a bronze Demiscus coin each to a drink at the tavern. I parted way and pass the steel gate of Pine Green, now on my way to the woods. The next part is a tradition my father had passed down to me as his father did for him. I had to wander around the outer edge of the Karsa forest to gather some Kingle berries, Baymont leaves, corpse flowers, and lastly Red barks from a Bryas tree. The mixture of these four ingredients can produce a natural and potent repellent. I spend the next twenty minutes grinding everything before mixing it with some water. The next step sucks the most, but it is a must when you have to enter the central part of the Karsa forest. I held up the foul mixture in a bowl and start liberally smearing it all over myself. The scent of zest, the horrid stench of corpses, and a myriad of other smells blended as a strong odor wafted from the bowl.

My stomach churns at this familiar stench, but after my five years of visiting the central forest, it is but a slight discomfort. With preparation done, I start my travel on the uneven grounds into the deeper parts of the forest. Caution is a must where the creatures of this forest lurk and prowl for easy prey daily. With light and careful steps, I start my journey with my ax in hand. Can’t be too prepared in a place where both regular and magical creatures wander.

Keeping a constant lookout was a must rule that I still follow to this day. It has kept me alive for five years, and if nothing goes wrong, then maybe another decade before I retire. Birds chirp away, while the regular bugs and critters go about their food search. The blend of sounds eases my thumping heart. Even with five years of experience, nothing is more terrifying than moving by yourself into these parts of the woods.

There are still six hours of daylight, and that should help me cover a fifth of the distance needed to reach the ashen grove. The first day was uneventful and I am glad that nothing came to tear me a new, I kept my pace steady as I observe the surrounding foliage. The night was chilly, and a fire is a comfort I can’t afford as I slept on a tall tree till morning came.

The second day starts with me taking out a piece of dry meat and bread to chew; saltiness fills my mouth as the scent of honey oak smoke strikes my tastebuds with other herbs. I finished it all off with a gulp of water from my leather pouch before I heave myself to my feet and start the journey refreshed. The closer I get to the center of the forest, the more I am acquainted with the silence that permeates the background. My sense of danger pulses violently, like the tremor of mother Grea in her fury. My eyes penetrate the shadows ahead as sweats form, whereas my cold clammy hand reaches to withdraw my ax slowly. For a fraction of a second, I saw distortion in the air like that of a heat mirage. The light bending at an unnatural angle, and then a low growl reverberates to the left of me in the shadow.

I didn’t have to see whatever it is to know that this creature is one of the deadliest encounters you can have in the Karsa forest. The creature strode out into the light while still growling, its abyssal black fur reflected barely a shimmer of light. A big cat that is also known as the Black Death is the last thing I wanted to meet in this forest. I took out some dry meat, and place it slowly on the ground. My eyes never looking into its eyes as my gaze turns downward as to not try to challenge its dominance. It didn’t stray when presented with food, but kept a focus on me with curiosity and maybe a flicker of interest in taking a bite. I could only beg to all the gods of Grea that maybe it was only curious and not out for my flesh. My heart sped like the charging of a thousand Phyrisian stallions, my breath choke, and my eyes closed as my body froze from the humid breath that tickles my neck. It took a whiff of me and all I can do is pray harder that death will not come to claim my soul today. I am sure that it can smell the dread that is dripping from my body, and if not to make it worse, I can’t stop shaking knowing death is breathing down my neck.

I pray in my head for a quick death, but it never came, and only then did I open one eye to see if I am about to die. The beast took the meat and flicker out of existence as if to deign that I was neither a worthy prey or meal. I unclasped the breath I withheld earlier and choke for a minute, my body shaking nonstop as sweats drip down my forehead. Shoulders dropping, my chest swelling as I intake sharp labor breath, and there I lay on the ground with my chest rising and dropping. This is probably the closest I have been to death, and my blood boils with heat as my body shakes with a torrent of energy. Hot tears ran down my face, followed by hysterical peals of laughter. It seems like forever as I lay there laughing like a madman with tears breaking the flood gate.

I don’t know if it was the concoction that dad taught me to make and use, but I am grateful that death didn’t come for me. Silence reign as my breath calms to a steady rhythmic pace, and my heart returns to normal before the encounter. I took one long breath and slap my cheeks. You are strong Brail, get your shit together and rise no matter the hardship. Death is near and far away, it is an enemy and a friend, you can respect or fear it, but never let it overwhelm you.

I jerk my body to rise, feet steady, and nerves calm, willing my body to move forward and continue the journey. With a calm mind again, I found it odd that a magical beast would be so far away from the center of the forest. Knowing that this can happen again, I double my efforts to re-brew the mixture and apply it to myself. I am down to four days of ration in dry meat, and now with only two loaves to spare. My water pouch refill with the creek’s water as I finally reach Ashen Grove. The trees glow with a mixture of colors, and I was tasked to get a couple of old branches of the red type.

I approach the grove with caution while taking out my enchanted ax to prepare for chopping off a couple of branches. I did as my dad has taught me before passing away; I voice my request in the language of the spirits.

“To the high spirit lords that govern our world among the gods, I am humble in your presence and wish to only ask that you would spare a couple of branches for us mortal. I only request that I can help trim a couple of branches so that the Ashen Grove may stay strong and healthy as my father, grandfather, and his great grandfather had done so in the past.“

I waited in silence while kneeling and touching my head upon the edge of ashes covering the land. Nothing happened for ten minutes. Sounds cease in all directions, and my ears pop as a massive spike of Farren energy descent upon me. My head pushed to the ground as the energy took form. Her form never ceases to amaze me, a being of pure Farren energy, her hair a wave of long cascading locks. A body with curves that would make most women envious and a bountiful bosom fill with tender love and a promise of heaven like pleasure. Although her facial expression is obscured by the physical radiance of Farren energy, I could still insinuate her feelings and facial features. Her mouth slowly forms a mischievous smile as she slowly opens a channel to bridge our minds.

“Ahh, if it isn’t my favorite gardener, Brail oh Brail. You kept me waiting for my manicure, and now I feel like I can’t just let you do your usual and walk away. Tell me Brail, what is it do you need to do if you want to do my manicure?" Her smile still held mischiefs as she held her avatar just a foot above the ground.

I send her a mental forward of my reply, “I apologize for being a day late your high lordship Letreva of Ashen Grove, but I will not make excuses for my failures. I hope you can forgive me for my tardiness and grant this lowly one your approval for a manicure!“

She nodded her head in approval to my apology before sending me the last reply, “It was good seeing you again Brail, but I must go now and attend to my duties. Be quick about which branches you wish to trim, but take only two of my oldest branches from a different tree this time. “

Her heavy presence dissipates just as quickly as it had made itself known. With the Farren energy gone, I could now raise my head above the edge of the ashen ground. By tradition and ancient laws, I took off my boots and wash my feet with the pouch of water before stepping on the grey ash. Farren energy flares all around me as I step forward, and now I am standing in front of the next oldest tree for the red element. I push my own Farren energy to my Castnite ax as it glowed with a light grey color. I observed all the branches while noting the sizes and shapes before I confirm the two oldest branches. With measure power, I strike forward with two quick chops as two branches fell. The energy in these two branches was excellent and would help fetch a decent amount of coins for my study into the arts of Magic.

With the agreement fulfill, I hastily withdrew from the Ashen Grove and made my way to my supply. Taking the two branches, I quickly tuck them into my bag while quickly retracing my way back to Green Pine. It was very odd on my way back, not a single magical creature in sight or a normal predator, not that I want to see them. It was a relief on my nerves, and I hope that it was to stay constant as I made my way home. It was my ninth day, and now I am at the edge of the outer ring of the Karsa forest. I dash forth with glee to return to my cozy home and resume normal wood chopping that doesn’t involve me spilling my guts.

I reach the crest of the hills facing Green Pine, and the only things I heard were the screams of its inhabitants. The once-mighty wall of wood with reinforced steels to keep the beasts out was now a prison of no escape. Smoke bellow out of houses burning as mothers try to protect their children in a massive tide of magical and regular beast rushing with abandon. Soldiers and guards try as they may, but their numbers were short. The beasts drove forward in waves as they pounce forward with predatory anger. Guts lay strewn across the land as the heavy rusty smell of blood bathe the land in a vivid crimson. Hours pass, and silence reign over the once merry village of Pine Green. I puke at the gory sight of mothers clutching their children in motherly love as they face the claws of an Iron fur bear. I can see water salamanders as they send a volley of high-speed jet of pressurized water that tore through both soldiers and people of all ages with deft precision. Blood rain throughout the village and the last cry fell before the beasts withdrew from the village before moving toward the northern City of Hilda.

Exhaustion strikes my heightened mind, and sweet darkness embraces my being with the warmth of my early embryonic conception. My mind empty of thoughts slowly as a peaceful visual of leaves descends upon me, restful slumber came as my eyelids gravitate down.

I don't know how engaging this writing of mine is, but I hope that it won't be a complete bore with this second coming of this story. I went back to re-use ideas for my story on the run and scrap some ideas in favor of a survival story. I will appreciate comments about anything, and hopefully this story will go somewhere.

0