Rothester
1.6k 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(ATTENTION NEW READERS: This novel is under revision or rewrite. The revised novel is renamed "Arsett Gateway" and can be found on neovel.io Read the latest chapter for more information. Everything you read from here on will eventually be replaced when revised chapters are complete, so I recommend going to neovel.io and reading "Arsett Gateway").

 

Prologue

 

In the late 1940s, something extraordinary happened. An unidentified object crashed in the deserts of New Mexico with its internal storage mostly intact. Without any evidence of life inside, it was deemed a sort of drone destined to roam aimlessly across the cosmos. The strange machinery of unknown origins fascinated and stumped the researchers tasked to uncover its secrets. After thorough investigations and research conducted over the following years, the strange technology was successfully reverse-engineered, and the machine was rebuilt by the military in hopes of uncovering its true intention.

In the never-ending quest to gain an advantage in the Cold War, the rebuilt alien machine was transported to the newly built Paradise Ranch and activated. What happened next was truly unbelievable. A wormhole was created, and the otherworldly machine revealed itself to be a portal to another world. Or, more precisely, another planet.

Try as they might, no one could figure out exactly where this planet called ‘Adon’ was located. Not identified anywhere within the observable universe, Adon was a planet in some faraway galaxy too far to comprehend. Its only known connection to the Milky Way was the portal in Paradise Ranch.

Kept hidden from the international stage, the United States conducted a series of operations to explore the world on the other side. What they found was astonishing. Adon was found to not only be habitable but inhabited. Microorganisms or alien wildlife wasn’t the focus of their curiosity; instead, it was the intelligent lifeforms that outright defied all logic. Not only had the native people built civilizations of their own, but they were also, in fact, people that were recognized. Monsters of myth and people of fantasy, Adon hosted elves and dwarves in addition to humans, which stumped the American explorers as to why such a faraway planet was so familiar to the fairytales of home. Countless scenarios were theorized, but none could be confirmed.

Locked in an arms race with the Soviet Union, the United States could spare no resources to commit to Adon and could only send scientific units for reconnaissance and intelligence. Adon was essentially deemed a mostly useless discovery that had to remain a secret. Had the Soviets learned that the US had access to it, there was no telling what sort of political storm would follow. Even the natural resources that would otherwise be profitable and advantageous were deemed too much of a risk that could raise too much suspicion.

Everything completely changed after the Cuban Missile Crisis. With all life on Earth threatened with extinction from total nuclear annihilation, Adon was viewed with a renewed light. It was seen not as something to exploit for Earth’s benefit but rather as a backup planet. A spare in case Earth became uninhabitable.

While many Continuity of Government Plans existed to survive a nuclear war, Adon was the subject of the most secretive plan, and the portal was relocated to a more blast-proof and survivable location. Assuming all other continuity protocols failed or were not possible, the absolute last resort for the US Federal Government and any surviving citizens would be immigrating to Adon.

A series of CIA-led operations were launched to prime Adon to receive the remnants of American society should it be necessary. The political spheres of the various primitive medieval-like Kingdoms that surrounded the portal were infiltrated and ultimately hijacked. With a firm hold of power throughout the lands, the undercover operatives pushed for the Kingdoms to unite and found a new nation. The Federal Republic of Entesia was created in America’s image as a near-exact copy to create familiarity and ease American integration when the time came. Until then, Entesia was a puppet state in which no native citizen knew who truly pulled strings.

.

.

Decades passed as the Cold War came and went. Everything was relatively peaceful in both worlds. Fears of annihilation ceased, and life lived on without issue. However, the Continuity Plans remained in place and were maintained. Adon remained the last resort, and Entesia continued to function seemingly independently. The two worlds, not yet knowing the other existed.

The year was 2016. Though there was no need for either Adon or Entesia, the portal remained activated deep under a mountain. But this didn’t mean that the United States was about to abandon what it created. Threats to Entesia were taken in the same light as a threat to the United States. Unfortunately, while the threat of destruction on Earth disappeared, the threat of destruction on Adon surfaced.

And the highest authority was alerted.

“Good evening, gentlemen. Director Brennan, what’s the situation?” President Obama said as he sat down on a chair in front of a presidential seal.

“Sir, there’s been a development on the Adon planet. A month ago, on the twelfth of November on our calendar, foreign explorers made landfall on the Kinzad continent in the south, the one inhabited by dwarves. Reports say that these explorers originated from faraway eastern landmasses on the other side of the planet,” Director Brennan said as he brought up an image of a crude map.

“That one there? Empire of Narazar?” President Obama pointed to the map.

“Yes sir, all information coming out of Narazar describes human explorers armed with early firearms who sailed using wood and canvas sail ships. They call themselves Venesians.”

“Are they a threat?”

“We believe they are. A week after Kinzad, they made landfall in the Grand Duchy of Eshe. They are colonizing, sir.”

“Secretary Carter, will Entesia be able to defend itself from foreign threats?” President Obama asked.

“Worst case scenario, yes. But with difficulty. We would be exposing our technological superiority too early. So I advise against any overt military action. Not to mention that some weaponry still depends on components that Entesia can’t yet manufacture themselves. Guided munitions in particular, some of the electronics have to be imported. If a big conflict arises, we risk escalated American intervention and exposure of its existence. Cheyenne Mountain won’t be able to accommodate increased traffic.”

“So we just have to wait and see what happens.” President Obama sat back into his chair and sighed.

In Adon, the United States wasn’t known but to a few select individuals. Likewise, Adon’s existence was also a well-kept secret within the US Federal Government. Hiding its true identity, Entesia isolated itself for over half a century and underwent an unprecedented revolution through rapid industrialization and technological advancement utterly unknown to the rest of Adon.

However, the ‘rest of’ Adon was also unknown. Entesia and America only knew of three continents in Adon that made up one hemisphere of the planet; no one bothered to explore further beyond the horizon, either because it wasn’t possible or there was no need.

The arrival of the ‘Venesian’ explorers changed everything. They proved that there exist other people beyond the horizon, ones who wield unexpected weapons: firearms. The world had gotten bigger and revealed a threatening entity.

Secretary Carter then opened a few reports in his hands and gave them over to President Obama.

“Mister President, recent reports indicate that Narazar was able to establish a friendly relationship with the explorers, and a trade deal is likely to occur when the explorers return to their homeland. In addition, the elves in Eshe put up a strong fight and pushed them back. The Venesian explorers have withdrawn from south Weslec but not before declaring that they would return to conquer the continent. We predict that wherever they came from, a larger invasion force will follow.”

After taking a brief look at the reports, President Obama turned to Director Brennan. “What are our options? I assume we can’t remain silent.”

“Correct, sir. If we do nothing, it will lead to direct confrontation with these new entities when they finally set their eyes in our direction. Our best course of action is covertly preventing them from continuing colonization efforts.”

“How do you propose we do that?”

“We create some turmoil behind the scenes. I’m sure you remember Rothester?” The Director said with a severe look in his eyes.

“Yes, I do. Entesia was successfully founded as a result.”

“Taking from that example, the CIA created the Rothester Plan under President Reagan, but it was shelved when the Berlin Wall fell. You’ve read the file. We can resurrect the plan and modify it to accommodate the developing situation.”

President Obama faintly recalled the Rothester Plan. What happened during the 50s and 60s was controversial, to say the least. To use it as a model for the Rothester Plan was something that few within the Intelligence Community agreed with despite its effectiveness.

“John,” President Obama said firmly, “the Rothester Plan is extremely risky. Are you sure it’s the best course of action?”

“Yes sir, I believe it is. Entesia’s end of isolation is inevitable. These recent events give us the perfect cover to enact the plan and put ourselves on top. A grand entrance, if you will. All we need is your order.”

“John, this plan will change the course of Adon’s politics whether it succeeds or fails. Do we have no other alternative?”

“Mister President,” Secretary Carter interrupted, “according to our analysis, we predict that any other alternative will guarantee the explicit involvement of the Entesian military. Though we have faith that Entesia will succeed regardless, it puts the United States in a dangerously tight corner. We have to delay that by all means. Like I said before if the United States increases its support, it further risks exposure to the rest of the world. We can not allow the international community to learn of any of this. NATO may not be able to back us up if all hell breaks loose.”

President Obama put his hand on his mouth and fell into deep thought. Everyone present understood the potential repercussions of the President’s next course of action. Whatever he decided, something big would undoubtedly happen, whether it is on Earth or Adon.

Still in thought, the President took in a big breath of air and released it through his nose.

“This all depends on what the explorers will do. How probable are these predictions?”

“Very, sir. The explorers arrogantly claimed their empire as the greatest in history who would inevitably rule the world. Their attitude towards the elves, dwarves and even fellow humans wasn’t very nice either. They portrayed a racist and supremacist ideology. If these explorers are reflective of their country’s mindset, it nearly guarantees their next moves. Conquest, colonization, and subjugation. Perhaps even slavery. We know that this subject isn’t impossible in that world. We will have to do something eventually.”

President Obama has become increasingly frustrated. He wanted to avoid the Rothester Plan as much as possible. It was a long-forgotten plan that, on the surface, seemed generous but carried a destructive intention. After further debate within his mind, he took a sip from his water bottle and cleared his throat.

“Secretary Carter, what is the state of Entesia’s military?” President Obama questioned.

“All branches are good to go, sir. At least for mainland defense. The issue is that Entesia doesn’t have any international presence or sphere of influence. Large offensive operations are not possible without a foreign nation hosting the military. As a result, the military can’t maneuver on any significant scale overseas.”

“Okay, when Wilson is inaugurated on the twentieth next month, tell him to increase the DEFCON Level to four for all branches as well as to recommission their nuclear arsenal,” President Obama said sternly.

“Sir?”

“Just in case.”

“What’s your order, sir?”

President Obama looked at everyone in the room with determined eyes and an unwavering face.

“We are treading on dangerous and unknown grounds. Whatever happens, we must proceed with caution.”

President Obama turned to look at the Director. “Director Brennan, implement the Rothester Plan immediately. The CIA will be responsible for its execution with direct aid from the Pentagon.”

For the best quality of the world map, right click on the image above and open in a new tab OR go to this link: https://i.imgur.com/UVNZHIV.jpg Works best on the imgur app or on a computer.

20