Chapter 13: City of Predators
393 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome, gentlemen. I’m sure you know who I am?”

“Yeah, you’re Graham Rakee, right? I’m Ken Kai. This is Cayde. We’re with Ar—”

“I know who you are. Please, take a seat.”

Ken and Cayde entered some sort of office to meet with Graham Rakee. They are there to question what he was about since Graham has left a note on Ken’s door to ask for him the night Ringleader first defended against the first intruders.

The door closes behind them while two muscular men act as guards beside the door. Ken and Cayde sit down in chairs in front of Graham’s desk. Around his mid-forties, Graham Rakee is an older man with long dark brown hair and mutton chops. He has several rings on his fingers and sits behind a polished desk.

“I have been waiting for you to come,” Graham speaks with a rough and raspy voice.

“Really? How so?” Cayde asks.

“I’ve got eyes and ears everywhere. I know you have been going around asking for the other gangs in Egwater. You even tried to go to The Siren. I’ll tell right now, you’ll only get yourselves killed by doing that.”

“So you know about the attacks against us?”

“Of course I do.”

“Why did you want us to come?”

Graham signals one of the guards, and the guard walks towards a counter on the side of the room. He picks up a glass bottle of whiskey and three cups, then returns to set them down on the desk.

“Do you know who or why your business was targeted?” Graham says as he pours whiskey into a cup. He motions the cup to Ken and Cayde, but they both shake their heads, declining the offer to drink.

“We think it’s the STC for some bullshit reason,” Ken says

“Aye, you fellas seem to have pissed them off.” Graham takes a sip from his whiskey. “A while ago, their people came to Egwater. They offered a prize for anyone who can steal all your precious secrets. Of course, everyone wanted the prize money.”

“But you didn’t bite.”

“Let me ask a question—how old are the both of ye?”

“Twenty-four,” Ken replies.

“Twenty-five,” mutters Cayde.

“Aye… You two look younger but still so young and ignorant of the world…. Oh, how I miss my youth, but as I’ve grown, I’ve come to realize that this world will eat you alive if you let it. Either you step on people to get further or get stepped on. With age and experience, you begin to see things where others don’t. And what I saw was an opportunity. I do not know how you boys managed to piss off the STC so much, but I do not much care. If they think you people are a threat to business, you have something profitable that they ain’t want you to have. Basically, if your business stays in business unhindered, then the investors benefit greatly.”

“Where are you getting at?”

“I’m offering you protection. Protection from all the gangs in Egwater to render the prize impossible. You simply just have to pay us regular fees. It’s not cheap, of course, but if you are such a force to grab the attention of the STC, I’m sure you have the means to pay up.”

“And how would you protect us?” Cayde asks. “They won’t stop attacking us just because you told them not to, would they?”

“Something like that. I hold a great amount of power and influence in Egwater. More than the rest. I have my hand in everything, everywhere. What I say becomes law.”

Both sit in silence while thinking over the offer. It is, of course, a compelling offer. If all the gangs stopped chasing the prize, then Ken would be able to sleep. Everyone would. It is too taxing to guard the Casiem and Facility every night. In fact, Ken had Marc go to the nearby Mercenary Guild to search for people to hire as guards, and they have been interviewing a few people. The problem is that Mercenaries have the inherent flaw of greed. Either the STC or the gangs can simply bribe them to gain access. So Ken and Marc are incredibly picky about the candidates and even offered them the full-time job as guards rather than a contract through the guild. Unfortunately, none were good enough to be hired.

“I wanna ask, how do you or the other gangs get their wealth and power exactly?” Ken asks.

“How else? Robbery, blackmail, murder, torture, protection, drugs, slavery, prostitution. We also run plenty of businesses here. Some legitimate, others not so much. Diners, taverns, inns, and brothels. Everything you can dream of.” Graham smiles.

Hearing everything that Graham is involved with leaves a bad taste in Ken’s mouth. He knows someone like him wouldn’t exactly be an angel but hearing it directly from his mouth makes it look like he is proud of everything.

It is at this time that Athela’s face flashes in his mind. Now Ken is conflicted. They desperately needed a break and some breathing room to continue Ardai’s operations smoothly. But at the same time, he doesn’t want to be funding and sustaining criminal organizations that destroy people’s lives. Despite how much Ken believes himself to be a good person, he knows he isn’t clean. He didn’t get to his position by being clean. Evil is sometimes necessary to prevent a bigger evil. For the sake of his missions, sacrifices have to be made and morals put aside to further the bigger picture. But every time he was met with a decision where his morals conflicted with his objective, he hesitated. And he hates that his indecision between the two has at times cost more than either otherwise would have.

While Ken is having an internal struggle with himself, Cayde is watching him and wondering why he hasn’t decided yet. Cayde, in comparison, is more logical in his objectives. He doesn’t care much for criminal activities here because he has no attachment other than his mission. But then again, they both experienced very different lives before they met. Had he wielded the power, Cayde would have taken the offer pretty quickly. It is only logical to do so under their circumstances. 

“I will say,” Graham interrupts Ken’s thought process, “these past few days, you people have created a stir here in Egwater. Whomever you have over there or whatever you did, I keep hearing that people keep coming back every morning with injuries without claiming the prize. They just blabber about ghosts in the shadows hunting them down. And those are just the ones who come back at all. I hear most guys get killed by your people.”

Graham laughs and takes another sip of his whiskey. “It is very impressive, but it will not stop. Nothing is going to stop them from trying and trying again. Except us, of course, if you accept our offer. The STC has already raised the prize money and will probably do it again. At the end of the day, it is your choice. We just can not guarantee that we ain’t going to take a shot at the prize if you refuse.”

After considering his options, Ken decides to find another way to deal with the problem. He just doesn’t feel right working with these sorts of people.

“I appreciate your offer, but I’ll pass on it. We’ll find some other way,” Ken says.

“That’s a shame.” Graham’s face grows colder. “I can’t say I’m not disappointed. If you ever reconsider, you’ll know where to find me.” Graham motions them to leave.

As Ken and Cayde stand up from their chairs, Ken suddenly remembers something. He stops before exiting through the door and reaches into his pocket.

“Oh, by the way, I almost forgot.”

Ken takes out a small black metallic object and looks at it. It is the black bird with its wings spread that he found a while back. He has kept the thing with him all this time and has intended to ask people what it is but always forgot or was too busy. Edgar thought it meant something dangerous, so Ken’s interest is definitely piqued. He can’t ask Marc because he doesn’t know how he would react either. He thinks it best to ask Graham while he has the chance seeing as the object was found in Egwater. Graham, if anybody, should know what it is and wouldn’t be afraid of its meaning.

“I found this… bird thing, in an alley somewhere. I don’t know what it is or what it means. Maybe you can tell me?” Ken holds up the object.

Graham sees the object in Ken’s hand and immediately puts down the whiskey he is drinking. His eyes enlarge, and he is clearly spooked. Ken concludes that the object is definitely dangerous and must get to the bottom of its meaning.

“That… where did you get that?” Graham asks seriously.

“I-In an alley. Like I said before.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know. It was on the ground. I just picked it up cus it looked interesting. What is it?”

“Let me take a closer look.”

Ken hands over the bird to a very curious Graham, who quickly takes the bird and furiously examines it.

“Yes… Yes… This is real. This is a real badge.”

“A badge?” Cayde asks. “That bird is a badge?”

“This is not just any bird. It’s a Raven. They're here…”

“Who? The suspense is killing me,” Cayde says sarcastically.

“Ravens. The Ravenians. The Ravenian Empire. They’re here. In Efielge. In Egwater.”

“The Ravenian Empire? Aren’t they one of the Great Powers and rivals to the Venesians?”

“Rivalry is an understatement. They hate each other. They’re enemies. In case you don't know, the Great Powers are split in two. Half hates the other half. This badge means that people of their Security Service are here. Spies. ‘Ravens’, they call them.”

“So… These ‘Ravens’ are Ravenian spies, and this is their badge?”

“That’s right. I never thought Ravens would be in these parts. Now that I know, I might be able to catch one and sell them to the Venesians. I’m sure they’d pay handsomely for enemy spies. It makes one wonder what they’re doing here… Anyhow, I must say thanks for bringing this interesting piece of news to my attention; perhaps I won’t go after the prize after all.” Graham returns the badge to Ken. “But you might want to lose or hide that. If someone who doesn’t know any better catches you with that badge, you can kiss your life goodbye. Now, get out of my office.”

A guard leads Ken and Cayde out of the building and into the streets. Once outside, they make their way home. The sun is minutes away before falling under the horizon.

“Well then…” Cayde says. “That was interesting, wasn’t it?”

“The badge and the Ravens?”

“Yeah, who would have guessed that spies lived here,” Cayde says sarcastically while Ken chuckles at what he suggests.

Though they aren’t exactly spies as people would typically think, Ringleader Team are close enough to be spies to get them in big trouble. It is still interesting that another nation has people there nonetheless.

“So why’d you turn down the offer, Kai? It could have saved us a lot of effort and time.”

“I don't feel right about it. Look around us, man. These people live in extreme poverty and constant danger of getting killed or kidnapped by these gangs. So I don't want to work with a gang leader who is involved with all that shit.”

“Kai, what does it matter? Remember who we are. We’re not saints. We have our duties to our own country; we can’t help these people.”

“I know, but it's just… I don’t know, man. It just doesn’t sit right.”

“You’re too soft, man. Get your shit together. You hesitate like that when it matters most, and you’ll get yourself killed.”

Ken doesn’t respond to Cayde's remark and walks in silence. He debates again and again if Cayde is right. Maybe he should have taken Graham's offer after all.

“Hey you!” a voice behind them yells.

Ken and Cayde stop to turn around. The sudden interruption puts them on guard and prepares for a brawl.

To Ken’s surprise, it is Eleanor’s brother Solomon, who isn’t much better than some street thug.

“Ah shit, this guy,” Ken whispers.

“Who?”

“What in heaven’s name are you here? Where is my sister?”

“Great to see you too, Solomon.”

“Answer my question.”

“Hello,” Cayde jumps in, “I’m Cayde. Pleasure to m—”

“I do not care who you are.”

“Well fuck me then.”

“Your sister’s working right now. Downtown at the Casiem. Ardai Headquarters.”

“She better be. Tell me why in god’s name you were speaking with Graham Rakee. He’s nothing but trouble.”

“He offered me protection from the other gangs because of some prize by the STC. I turned it down though, didn’t want to work with street gangs.”

“I heard about that damned prize. Look, I can’t care less what happens to you or your business, nor do I trust you, but Eleanor wanted the job. Just make sure my sister is safe. If she gets caught in the conflict and something happens to her, I’ll skin you alive. Got it?”

“You got it, chief.”

“Good, now get out of here before you get yourselves killed.”

With that, Solomon walks away angrily, leaving Ken annoyed, and Cayde confused.

“I’m not sure, but I get the feeling that he doesn’t like you.”

“He’s Eleanor’s protective brother. Just ignore him.”

.

.

The next day, after another long night, everyone is in the warehouse, designated as the Development Facility. Despite a clear pattern arising from the break-in attempts, Ringleader Team continues without sufficient sleep. They at least sleep better than the first few nights because of different strategies and are thankful that the Egwater gangs aren’t too bright.

Regardless of the nightly battles, daytime work continues. With baggy eyes and dark circles, everyone can guess that Ken, Cayde, Reed, Jax, and Matt need a break, but they always refuse whenever anyone brings it up.

“All right, gentlemen, let’s review.”

In one area of the Facility, noise spreads in all directions from the newly completed machines. After countless hours of hard work, the team completed a power plant to power the building.

Standing before Matt are several engineers who are reviewing the workings of the machines. They all wear their increasingly well-known uniforms in the form of navy blue trousers, waistcoats, tailcoats, and of course, the blue rose head pinned on their coats. Behind them are several large steel objects, each the size of a bedroom.

“Eduart. Summarize how the process starts,” Matt orders.

“Yes, chief engineer! When the coal is burned, the hot air and fumes travel through a series of pipes, of which go through the boiler, and are released outside into the air through the smokestack.”

“Good. Oswin, what comes next?”

“Chief engineer! Since the pipes travel within the boiler, heat from the hot air is transferred more evenly. In addition, the fins around the pipes increase the surface area that the water makes contact with, increasing efficiency.”

“Good. Dunstan, what’s next?”

“Chief engineer! As water absorbs the heat, it becomes superheated and converts into the gaseous form of steam, expanding its volume by seventeen hundred times.”

“Excellent. What’s next, Stuart?”

“Chief engineer. The steam then travels into the turbine. As it forces its way through, its thermal energy converts to mechanical energy and spins the blades.”

“Great. Osborn, what happens to the steam then?”

“Chief engineer. When the steam leaves the turbine, it’s cooled and condensed into liquid and recycled back into the boiler.”

“Good. Cordell, how does the generator generate electricity?”

“Chief engineer! The generator is connected to the turbine through a shaft. The rotary motion of the turbine also turns a copper coil surrounded by a magnetic field, causing the movement of electrons.”

“The very definition. Very nice. We’ll be studying applications of electricity more closely next. Now please, follow me.”

As Matt continues to teach what he can to the engineers, another area of the facility is busy at work. While the steam turbine generates the electricity needed to light up the incandescent light bulbs throughout the Facility, some of the power is used for other machines.

Workers use barebones belt sanders and lathes with exposed gears and pulleys to craft various pieces of wood into shapes. Weapons handles of daggers and swords are the most produced. They are even occasionally used to grind down metals or sharpen blades carefully.

In another area, Ken and Eleanor are monitoring the workflow of a few hired blacksmiths using their steam-powered drop hammers to forge blades. As they watch the hammers rise and fall, creating vibrations through the floor, Eleanor notices Ken’s eyes constantly closing.

“Ken, why don’t you take a rest? You have been working too hard lately.”

“I’m fine, Eleanor. I can keep up.”

“You know, I often wonder how you come up with so many ideas. None of this,” she points to the drop hammers and bulbs, “would have been created if it isn’t for you. May I ask where you’re from again?”

“I’ve already told you. Some faraway lands I want to forget the name of. You’re so talkative.”

“I’m sorry if I bother you. Do I bother you? Would you like me to leave? I’m just so interested in you, that’s all.”

Ken turns to raise an eyebrow at what Eleanor just said. “You’re what?”

Realizing what came out of her mouth, Eleanor’s cheeks become red, and she starts to play it off.

“That’s not what I meant! I meant you’re an interesting person to talk to! I’m not interested in you at all! Wait no! I am! Or, no, not that I’m not interested in you, but not like that! I-I-I just meant—”

Ken grabs hold of her shoulder while giggling at her embarrassment. “I get it. I get it. I’m an interesting guy, but you're overdoing it. Just breathe and relax, yeah?”

“Yeah…”

Ever since Eleanor took the job as a secretary, she has been following Ken everywhere he goes. Whatever he needs, she is there to fulfill it while on the job. She rarely let him out of her sight. Ken inevitably found that she is always slightly more nervous and tense when he is around, which has led to a few slip-ups in wording and embarrassments for Eleanor. As much as Ken hates to think about it, he admits Eleanor just might have a crush on him, and it would be entirely his fault.

“You all right now?” Ken asks.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Please just ignore that.”

“It never happened.” Ken motions his lips shut while smiling.

While they talk, Reed comes up to them, holding a hook sword and a haladie.

“Yo! Ken! Loo—oh hello Eleanor, how’re you doing today?”

“I am well, thank you, Mister Reed.” She smiles.

“Please, just call me Reed. Lovely clothes you’re wearing. You look great.”

“Thanks… it’s my uniform.”

“Full mast?” Ken interrupted.

“Not yet. Anyways, check this out, man. First prototypes of these things.” Reed swings the hook sword. “Nice, right? Also got the haladie. The blacksmiths are getting the hang of the hammers and grinders. They’ll be mass-producing these weapons in no time. Ardai’s about to make its grand entrance in the arms trade.”

“These are bizarre weapons. How do they work?” Eleanor asks.

“No idea. These aren’t really practical for mercenaries and adventurers—or anyone really. So they won’t be made in high numbers. But what will be made in high numbers are probably going to be the katana, longsword, and some of the knives.”

“And ranged weapons?”

“We can make a few compound bows with the limited aluminum we have, but mass manufacturing is still ways off. It’s mostly recurve, composite, and longbows. Also, Ken, we gotta go plan and prepare the thing out for tomorrow.”

“Oh right, the right.” Ken turns to Eleanor. “I’m gonna take your advice and take the day off to rest.”

Eleanor stands confused at what they are talking about as they spoke strangely with each other.

“What is the thing?” she asks.

“Don’t worry about it. Do I have anything for tomorrow?” Ken asks to which Eleanor looks to the side to think.

“Oh, yes. Knox Brookse should be coming tomorrow to discuss something with you. Apart from that, I think you’re free.”

“Great, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

14