Chapter 5 – The Village
370 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few days, I had completely gotten over the fact that I can't use magic.

I rise with the sun in the morning, eat breakfast, and then swing my wooden sword until my arms go numb. I'm really pushing the limits of my body. Later, I train with the bow to hone my marksmanship and then read quietly in the study until lunch.

However, today I am more excited than usual. I mean why wouldn't I be? I finally get to go out of the house and see the village!

Ever since I was born, I have not left the house. I am conscious of the fact that I have never left. It was not like I did not want to but that I wasn't allowed to leave because my parents did not consider me mature enough to be able to go out on my own. But I finally got their approval.

My father, suddenly spoke to me while we were having lunch.

「Claude, I heard that you will go exploring the village later.」

「Yes.」

「Stay within the village parameters. There are many dangerous animals in the forest. Take care.」

After lunch, I get ready and reach the house gates. My legs are shivering.

I am completely lost.

My heart knows it. That I have to take a step outside the house gates. But my body is refusing it.

Weird thoughts start coming to my mind. What if we are suddenly attacked by monsters outside? That the peaceful scenery of the fields before me might instantly turn into hell. What if the seemingly peaceful sights are unable to accept me. As I was contemplating over such thoughts I heard a familiar voice.

「What's wrong?」

I look around to see my father. How long has he been standing there? Perhaps seeing me unable to answer he asked me another question.

「Not gonna go outside? Although you couldn't even sleep a wink from the excitement yesterday.」

「No..... that..... there might be some monsters outside.」 I spoke hesitantly

「In this area, it's almost impossible to run into monsters if you don't approach the forests. Also, you know those monsters can't leave their territory right?」

It is as he said. According to what I have read in books, the monsters in territories are merciless to any military force or band of adventurers foolhardy enough to enter their territory, but for some reason, they never come out of that territory. Not even one step. A fact that hasn't changed in thousands of years.

「N-no, but...you may never...know.」 I spoke feebly.

My father shows a surprised expression when I keep finding all sorts of excuses up till now.

「Ah, I think I know now. Claude, have you never left the house before?」

「Mmmm... yes.」

「Are you afraid of it? The outside.」

「I-I'm not afraid of it or anything like that.」

I can't say that I'm afraid of going out. That is something so embarrassing. I still have my pride. A pure scintilla of pride. I don't want to be looked down by him.

「Oh well, it can't be helped then. Here.」

Seeing that I am unwilling to move, my father suddenly carries me on his shoulders.

「Wha!?」

「If you just sit there and come with me, you soon won't be afraid.」

I don't struggle. My heart is wavering as well, and I'm thinking of just leaving it to him. I simply leave the house in that manner.

This is my first time outside the courtyard.

My father is slowly moving forward in the village. From time to time, the villagers will throw us unreserved gazes.

No way.

My body is tensing up. I am still afraid of being looked at. Especially those mocking and unrestrained gazes. Surely they wouldn't court trouble with us with mocking words.

They probably wouldn't.

They don't recognize me.

In this world, only the people in that small house know me.

Why are you looking at me?

Stop looking, go back to work...

....No.

It's not me.

They are looking at my father.

Some of them are even greeting him.

Ah, that's right.

He has already established his position in this village.

When I think of this point, his back looks so reliable. He knows where to go, and they mutually know him. If I receive any unwanted comments, he will definitely defend me.

Haha, I can't believe that I find this man, who enjoys beating the living crap out of me, to be so reliable.

Thus, my body's tension fades away. How comfortable. What exactly was afraid of? This is such a peaceful village. Who will bully me?

「Are you still scared?」

He asks and I shake my head.

I am not afraid of other people's gazes anymore.

「No, I'm fine already.」

「See, it's just like I said.」

My heart has more breathing space. The surroundings enter my eyes.

Fields and houses, like stars in the sky, stretch out into the distance. The feeling of a village.

I can see a considerable number of people within this huge radius. If they are more packed up, it might turn into a small town.

Ah, there are water mills.

After relaxing, I become conscious of the silence for a while. I have never experienced this kind of silence when I was with my father in the past.

I have never tried to stick so closely to him. Even though it's not unbearable, it is embarrassing.

So I decide to strike up a conversation.

「Dad, what does this field grow?」

「It's mainly Asura's wheat, the component for bread. There are also small amounts of green vegetables and Bardius flowers. Bardius flowers can be refined into spices in the capital. The rest are ingredients for the dining table.」

「Ah, that's green chilli. You are unable to eat that.」

「N-not unable to eat it. I'm just not used to it.」

I ask question after question.

My father is an impatient man. Although not showing it, he probably wants to end this as soon as possible. I don't want to take too much of his time now. So, I tell him to put me down.

「Dad, I can go by on my own now. So, you can put me down.」

While putting me down he asked me whether I am sure or does he still need to be with me. I politely refuse him. He then hands me over a book.

「What is it?」

「Don't you remember? You said you wanted to know the plants growing around the village last night. Here take this botanical encyclopedia. It will surely help you. Also, come back before dinner.」

「Thank you, Dad!」

As we finish talking about this, I place the botanical encyclopedia under my arm and start running towards the village.

13