Chapter 1 – When I Awoke
237 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I awoke, I felt like in a dream..

Stars have fascinated me since I was a child. It was a childish curiosity that never left. Although interesting, I never bothered studying them, even though astrology sounds like a cool thing to study.

Once, out of nothing to do, I've searched some stories related to stars online. Human imagination is vast, it never ceased even after thousands of years, and never stopped entertaining my thoughts. There was this one short description about the idea of stars, a proposition might be the better word. It is something called "star keepers".

"Have you considered stars as the beholder of dreams?"* An online user posted, *"what if stars are actually the dreams of people, goals and ambitions but, they are not met?"

"If so, that explains why they are so far away, out of our reach." Another user replied.

"Such melancholy, how sad of a thought it is."

"But if stars are the dreams of people, who handles them? If the dreams didn't come true, then would it just explode, like a supernova?"

The original poster answered simply, "I'd like to think that there are star guardians as much as there are guardian angels. I call them, the star keepers."

Star keepers are the beholder of all dreams; from the past, present and future, from the people who existed to those who are yet to exist. They know the good things and the bad things inside those stars full of a person's dreams. Dreams that are disguised as a little whisper of our wish.

That also means it included mine, the wish I made before my death.

When I awoke, I was greeted with a soft light. It descended from above, hovering slowly towards me and asked, "Are you the bearer of that dream?"

"I..." I blinked, then replied, "will you answer to my wish?"

The light shook, then softly exploded -- like a mini supernova. I covered my eyes as it blinded my vision, and not long after, I heard a childish laugh. 

"You can call me the star keeper," a floating child suddenly appeared and patted my head, "or a Keeper, for short. Wouldn't that be more convenient?"

Dumbfounded, I couldn't find my words, and I could only stutter. "Y-you..."

The child floats away and spins around, with a smile, he introduced himself.

"I am a star keeper; like the Genie of Aladdin's lamp, the fairy godmother of Cinderalla's, or the shooting star you used to wish upon on. I am one of the many beholders of stars -- stars that are filled with dreams, and each of which made by one person to another. You, my friend, is the bearer of the star I'm keeping." He sends me a cheeky smile, "I am the guardian of your dreams."

The star keeper encircled around me, and while I was still processing the newly found information, he continued yapping. "Now, without further udo, let's get down to business!"

"On to the new world, to the dream you've last whispered to me, to your new beginning, to your new life!"

The star keeper flicked his little fingers, and before I knew it, a bright light exploded behind my eyes, and I lost consciousness once again.

...

When I awoke, it felt like I was no longer in a dream.

This time, I am in place both familiar and yet not familiar. A peculiar feeling crossed my heart, but before I could think properly, my head suddenly ached and I coughed.

"Water," I blurted out, "M-mom, water..."

The pressure on the bed suddenly lifts up and a surprised, but worry-laced voice asked, "honey, you're awake? Thank god! How are you feeling, sweety? Are you fine? Here's water, drink it slowly."

I took the cup and drank its content, slurping the rest of liquid as my throat thirst for more. I looked up, with heavy eyes, and lightly cried out, "Mom, I had a dream. Mom, it was scary, it felt like real."

She cooed and gently gathered me into her arms, "it's alright sweety, mommy is here. It was just a dream."

I couldn't help but cry as I spilled out my fears. I told her that in my dream, I was a big adult, a university student from some school. I couldn't support myself so I found a part-time job near my apartment, it was a restaurant with decent pay. When I was going home after work, an accident occured to me. A big truck crushed against mine, and I was sent flying out of my car. It didn't felt painful, but I was scared. I was surrounded by blood, so I was truly afraid.

"And then, and then, I woke up. Mom, I'm so scared. Mom, don't leave me tonight, please sleep with me tonight."

She cooes, "Don't worry sweety, mommy and daddy will sleep with you tonight. It was just a dream, and if it comes back, tell daddy immediately and he will chase those bad dreams away."

I nodded, wiping my tears with my Mom's clothes. Silence occupied us for a brief moment until my tummy crumbles. She let out a chuckle and said, "I guess your hungry? That's only natural, you haven't eaten properly for 2 days now since your fever. It looks like you're doing well now, so do you want a big meal?"

I felt super hungry, so with red eyes, I nodded eagerly. Mommy laughs, patted my head, before going out of my room after saying she'll be back with the food and that I should stay still and rest.

I looked down my blue colored covers, blinked away the tears, and wiped my face with the boyish coversheets. Suddenly, I heard a sudden ring of a bell, it was small and quick, then a familiar floating figure appeared beside my bed.

"Hello Eris, or should I say Elias?" I recognized the playful voice, but I was still a little surprised. Why is the star keeper here?

Wait, the star keepers are real?

"I can read your thoughts on your face, Elias," the star keeper giggled. "Well I, once again, will introduce myself. I am a star keeper; the guardian of your star, the keeper of your dreams. You can call me Keeper for short, and yes, we exist."

With wide eyes, it took me a moment to register it to my brain, before nodding slowly. 

"Hello, Keeper, my name is Eris..." I greeted and paused, "Why do you call me Elias?"

The Keeper floated beside me and smiled mischievously, "why of course, it is your name! Have you forgotten, dear Elias, the wish you whispered to me before your death?"

As if like a magic word, words suddenly appeared in my mind. 

"I wish upon the stars to grant me a second chance in life. Wherever it will be, whatever it may be."

Yes, I remember those words, as if my last dying will in my life.

The Keeper grins, "It is indeed your last wish, and the the driving force that kept a star up in the sky, bright with life into the vast empty space of universe! Naturally, it is my job to grant whatever that star takes its energy from. In summary, I've granted your wish -- a new life, a new beginning."

"Welcome to your new chapter in life; Elias Hughes, the younger son of the wealthy family of Hughes, with a bright future awaiting for you!"

"Huh..." I covered the side of my face with a palm, "this, this is too much..."

Then, as if realizing something, I snapped my head back to the Keeper. "My, my name is Eris, a female university student. But now, I'm Elias Hughes, the youngest son of the Hughes family? I... I'm no longer a girl now?"

The Keeper laughs before answering, "as I said, I granted your wish! This is your fresh, new chapter of your life, Elias!"

7