Chapter 2 – It felt like a Supernova
185 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nothing seems to be out of ordinary... Looking at this mirror gives me almost the same image of myself before my death. Black hair yet short, dark eyes yet rounder - my feminine features are gone, replaced with a soft feature of a little boy. Cheeks with faint red, perhaps because of an illness? Mom did say I had a fever for two days. Nonetheless, my skin is as white as a baby. Is this a skin of a little kid?

"Keeper," I called out, "why have I become a child?"

I heard the same soft ringing of bell before the Keeper pops out behind me. The Keeper floats still, and with a palm on his baby cheek, he replied, "Why, of course! I wanted you to start at the very beginning. After all, that is what you wanted, remember? Well, unless my bearer wishes to start at literally the beginning of life; a toddler, perhaps?"

The very thought sent a goosebumps on my nape. No, no, I don't think I want to start in that stage of life. With this consciousness of mine, I can't imagine living in a very constricted life where I can't walk or speak; only capable of tossing and turning, crying for food, or pooping in a diaper.

Shaking my head, I immediately change the subject, "Keeper, you seem to be knowledgeable of this..." I paused, a thought suddenly crosses my mind.

How do I call my situation? New body? New possession? New identity? My heart squeezes at the thought... Not long ago, I was not this child, I am but just an intruder who wormed her way into this ship and replaced the captain, all the while without my knowledge. I guess... Starting anew in a toddler's seems like the better idea. At least, it'll not shake my conscience.

What happened to the original soul of this child's?

"Hey, Keeper..." When I turned around, the star keeper smiled knowingly, and as if to comfort me he lightly pats my shoulder.

"All humans have their own dreams. Those dreams created stars in the empty space, giving the universe its light and a taste of life. Deep in those stars, a being is born, and that's where we came from -- the star keepers. We have but only one job; to look after the star we keep, and providing protection all the while."

He continues, "star keepers are very diligent on their job. The only time we come out of the star's comfort is when it is time to grant the wish of our bearer, or when..." The Keeper closes his eyes, his breathing deepens. 

"When the dream is shattered, causing the star to explode -- a supernova, as what it is called in human language. It is when a star reaches its end, and with its death, a star keeper follows suit."

Silence engulfed us, the air suddenly turned cold. My heart shakes, my throat dropped. The Keeper couldn't mean that...

"Then, the child..."

The Keeper suddenly gave a bright smile, "my bearer, you don't have to worry. What happened to the original bearer is nothing as frightening as the death of a star. In all actuality, the star keeper of the child had gone out to grant his bearer's wish, similar to what I have done to you."

A headache made its way from the back of my head, and I tried to massage the pain away using my pale, bony fingers. "That is still a sad thing... Keeper, you meant to say that, the child had been gone and passed away?"

"Precisely," the Keeper nods, "but his star keeper is there to grant the child's wish."

As if sensing my anxiety, the Keeper quickly added, "honestly, bearer, you don't have to feel burdened. Even without his star keeper, the child is destined to his early death. The high fever he suffered is proven lethal, no matter what happened, his fate in this life will follow him to his end."

Silence, again, as I closed my eyes.

"If it'll make you feel better, the child has gone away to a better place -- a wish has been granted, he will be happy from now on. My dear bearer, I hope this lightens up your spirit. Not to mention this is the first day of your new life, bring up your mood!"

A knock sounded and the doorknob clicks, revealing the familiar face of a woman. She frowns lightly as she sees me standing in the mirror, and with a gentle voice, she scolded, "Elias, haven't I told you to stay in your bed and rest?"

"Oh, sorry mom," I subconsciously replied. My eyes turned at another person behind my mom; a woman wearing a maid's outfit, carrying

a tray table of food, and just right behind her is another maid carrying a tray with jug of water and two cups. Both of them waiting patiently behind my mom as she tucks me back in the bed.

The maid placed the tray table while the other put the jug and cups on the table beside mine. With a bow, they left quietly. Mom washed my face first with a clean, wet towel, cleaned my hands with it, and fed me the food, vegetable filled soup and a fried chicken from another plate, then she started babying me.

"Elias, be a good boy. I know you don't like vegetables, but you have to eat them so you could bring back your energy. You're already seven years, you should not be picky of your food by now, okay? Here, mommy specifically asked the chef to make your fried chicken today. If you eat the soup, I'll give you the chicken, alright?"

I only answered with a hum, obediently eating everything she spoons up to me. Besides, I'm feeling really hungry and lethargic. Maybe this woman thought she's still speaking to her child, but I'm no longer him, which gave a sour taste, yet I still ate the carrot, potato, green beans... This indeed looks like a child's nightmare.

The woman I call mom was a bit surprised, but she just smiled and encouraged me to finish the food. Honestly, even without her babying, with how hungry I am I could finish this soup on my own.

"Elias must have been so hungry, huh?" She cooes, arranging the empty plates on the tray table, putting it aside, before tucking me in under the sheets. "That's my good son. Soon you'll be having back your energy, so go and take some more sleep for the rest of the day, okay sweetheart?"

I nodded as she called back for the maids and they took away the utensils. Mom caressed my hair one more time, kissed my forehead, and bid me a good rest. As she closed the door out of my room, I immediately sat up and heaved a sigh.

"She's so sweet," I said, "I feel like a liar, a pretentious parasite who rubbed her off of her son."

A bell rings, and the Keeper pops out. He immediately said, "if you're not here right now, that sweet woman would be crying her heart out. Losing her youngest son would devastate her and not only her, but the whole family of Hughes."

I looked down and saw the dark blue sheets with sparking dots, resembling the clear night sky. I covered my eyes.

"Is this okay?" I asked.

"Of course," the Keeper replied, "this is your wish, and your wish is my command, dear bearer."

"But I'm not Elias Hughes, and I'm not that woman's son, I'm not part of this family..."

The Keeper cocks his head and asked with innocent eyes, "If you're not Elias Hughes, then who are you?"

"I'm E..." I paused. Suddenly, I felt lost. 

Eris is dead, she no longer exist. She has died on that car accident. I've already died. But if so, then who am I?

The Keeper floats in front of me and gently pats my hair. With a soft, pitched voice of a boy, he says, "the life of Eris has met her end, she's nothing but a memory now, a bittersweet reminder of you. Eris is now on the past -- your previous life."

"Bearer, you have died in your previous life, and yet it doesn't end there. With me here by your side, I granted your wish - a second chance, a new chapter of your life. So that is why, I hope my bearer would let go of her worries and enjoy the new wonders she will face from today onwards. As someone new, as someone named Elias Hughes."

I gripped the sheets, my knuckles shakes from the force. I felt my heart tighten and my eyes burning, vision becoming blurry. I choked out a gasp and quickly covered my faces with the sheets.

"If," hot tears stained the clothe, my voice wavering, "--if it's really okay..."

"Of course, it's okay." The Keeper comforted me with his tiny hand on my head, "the fate has given you this destiny. If you don't deserves this, then you and I wouldn't be here right now. So trust in fate, my dear bearer."

The Keeper then says softly, "after all, everything happens for a reason. Wouldn't you agree, Elias Hughes?"

I sniffed, wiping the mess on my face. I heaved a heavy sigh which seems to take away the burden out of my chest.

I have been given a second chance in life, and in return, I should be thankful and find myself the happiness I have lacked in the past. If this is what fate had given me, then there is no reason to feel responsible.

I guess, it's fine to accept my new identity -- my new reality.

____

Edit: I half-heartedly fixed and made some super slight adjustments in this chapter. It's nothing major really. Also I hope I didn't overlook spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes this time........

I unexpectedly finished chapter 2. I might upload the next chapter some time by next week, but I'm not really sure. 

Anyways, thank you for taking your time on reading this chapter!

I apologize for the grammar/spelling mistakes. I'm too lazy to reread this chapter. Well then, ciao!!!

6