Chapter 4 – In the Hughes’ Household
148 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/U: important note at the very end.

~•~

Chapter 4 - In the Hughes' Household

When we reached the dining room, Emelia, our mom was horrified to see us in our dirty clothes. She immediately called for the maids and scolded about not taking care of us properly, albeit her tone is not harsh. If I have to guess, Sebastian that old butler purposely let us off so Emelia could see our dirty state, and what those satan's incarnate of a twin did to me. 

Emelia then ordered the maids to bring us back to our rooms, clean ourselves off dirt, changed clothes, and quickly went back to the dining room.

When we entered, the room is suffocatingly intense. Our mom sat at the head of the table, her eyes briefly scanned the nervous maids, before she gestures to us siblings to come closer to her. Suddenly I felt a little scared.

"Iona, Leona, I'm asking you both yet again," the usually soft voice of a gentle woman turned sharp, her tone strict. "What are the five most important virtues of our family, as a member of the Hughes?"

The usually lively, fearless twins have bowed their heads down, palms infront and closed tight, each biting their lower lip yet no one dared to express their displeasure. Emelia, with her long flowing black hair, tucked some strays behind her ear, index finger tapping against the hard yet exquisite wood.

"Leona," at the sound of her name, Leona squeaks.

"Yes Mom,"

"Would you be so kind as to tell me what are the five most important virtues of our family?"

Leona hurriedly replied with a yes, nods, and sucks a deep breath, "acceptance; to be open about the ideas and beliefs of others different from your own. Compassion; to empathize and understand the suffering of one's self and of another, and to have the will to change for the better. Integrity; to have a strong hold of one's own moral, ethical principles, and values. Respect; to put importance of one's self and of another's worth, position, and situation. Self-control; to preserve one's self from reckless impulses and maintain the calmness of the mind."

Our mom, Emelia, continues to tap her finger as she fixes her gaze to Iona. Iona gulps down and rapidly nods. She takes a step forward and repeated the five virtues Leona said earlier. Satisfied, Emelia takes her hand off the table then gestures for me to come closer to her. 

I nodded and docilely followed, dragging a chair. Like an obedient puppy, I quietly sat right next to her, keeping to my silence, while she gently pets my hair.

"I'm delighted to know that both of you memorized the virtues and yet, you have not shown me what you've learned . Are you both aware of how many virtues you've broken today?"

The twins answered simultaneously, "yes, it's three."

"Care to tell me what those three are?"

"Compassion, respect and self-control."

"I'm glad you are aware, but --" Emelia caresses my hair gently, "Elias is your little brother, it does not give you the right to ignore those virtues and be wild with each other. Mommy is aware that you siblings only wishes to play and have fun, but do not forget that Elias is seven years old, he can not be matched with you, his older sisters."

"Yes, mom, we're sorry, mom." 

"Are you, really?" Emelia hums, not believing the twins, then she briefly sighs. 

She then told them to sit at the table and both happily complied, thinking that they got out lightly. Emelia gestured to a nearby maid to bring out the lunch food, before adding softly, "well then, we shall eat first. After this we will discuss your punishments later."

Iona and Leona immediately paled, their happy smiles stiffening. Before they could voice a complaint, Emelia shushed them, "do not forget the reason why Elias caught a severe fever last time, not to mention we have not settled the punishments for that. Now, let us not wait while in front of the feast, lest we spoil the food."

"Y-yes mom."

My ears perked, but I did not voice my curiosity. I was wondering how did the child, the person who originally owned this body, caught such a severe fever. At first, I had thought nothing of it, maybe he got it somewhere or something else, but I certainly didn't thought these twins could also become the culprit. Really, how wild these twins can be?

The Keeper's words suddenly appeared into mind. If, if I was not to replace the child, wouldn't it be considered as the twin's fault for his passing? Wouldn't that make them experience trauma, and maybe, possibly make them labeled as a murderer as well?

"Sweety, what's wrong?" Emelia's soft voice shook me out of trance.

I shake my head, pushed the thought deep inside, before giving her a small smile. "Nothing, mom."

She smiles in return, "then eat, the food isn't going to wait for you."

I nodded and started eating, my shaken heart slowly calming. My rebirth might have saved a family from possible collapse...

For awhile, clinks of utensils hitting the base of plates were the only sounds occupying the room. The twins, despite being very playful, were quiet and more focused on filling their stomachs with food. Emelia is unsurprisingly well-mannered while eating with elegance. As for me, I don't really make small talks while eating, so I'm naturally quiet and keeping to myself.

It was only when we were done, the maids took away the plates and cleaned the table did Emelia called for our attention.

"Iona, Leona, Elias," she starts, "before anything else, there's important I have to mention with the three of you."

Emelia then continued, "there will be a big party in the next three days from now, would you all like to go?"

Not even a second later did the twins screamed yes. Their eyes brightly lit as the nod simultaneously.

"Whose party is it???" They asked.

"It's a birthday celebration by the Ainsley family," Emelia answers, "the only child of the family, Arcene Ainsley, turns 8 this week, and naturally we've been invited to the party. Oh, that reminds me, me and your daddy will come as well as your elder brother, Alder."

The girls squeaks excitedly, "yes! Yes! We want to go! Sounds like a fun party!"

Emelia smiles before turning to me, "and you, Elias?"

I nodded to her as if saying I don't mind. I don't have a problem attending a party, not to mention the whole family seems wanting to attend, so I don't see the reason to be left behind.

"Great," Emelia nods, "everyone in the family will attend. However, I must remind you little ones are not to cause trouble during the party. Do remember that the Ainsley and Hughes are close partners, your dad and the head of Ainsley are friends. It's just so that the Ainsley couple could not conceive a child all these years, until Arcene was born. She's the only child of their family, so pay extra attention and care around her. Am I understood?"

"Yes, mom! We will pay extra attention to Arcene!"

She smiles, "I know you haven't met the Ainsley's daughter, but I hope you three will become her friends, okay?"

Iona suddenly stood up, her closed fist pumping her heart as if to swear, "yes mom! I'm willing to be her friend! The more the merrier, isn't that right Leo?"

Leona grins, "of course! I'm sure we will have looots of fun together!"

I just kept silent on my seat and didn't dare to say a word. Yeah, sure, that is if the Ainsley's daughter would have the same type of fun you both have.

After reminding us to be at our best behavior during the Ainsley's birthday party, Emelia then let the twins exit the room except for me. I looked up at her and quickly noticed the worry in her fine eyes.

"Elias, please watch over your sisters. When you think they're getting too wild, take them far away from Arcene Ainsley. Better yet, you notify me as soon as possible."

Then she quickly adds, "I want you to be friends with Arcene. Elias, you're a good boy, I'm sure you'll have no problem befriending the Ainsley's daughter. I've already met her, and she can be a little hard to--" She pauses, as if to think of an appropriate term, then continues, "-- to get close to... But that is precisely the reason why I want you to be her friend. Although Arcene is a year older than you, you're close of age, so I trust you will be extra friendly with her. Do you understand, Elias?"

'Sounds like a troublesome kid,' is what I wanted to say, though when I looked up at Emelia's worried eyes, I can't help but to comply. 

"Okay, I understand. You don't have to worry about it, it's just like befriending dad's niece..." 

Befriending a little girl shouldn't be much of a hassle for me, as I've already met and dealt more troublesome people bigger and older than a kid in my past life as Eris.

"That's my good boy! Thank you, sweetheart." Emelia beams with a bright smile before hugging me tight. 

After gently petting my hair, she sent me off the room, then I heard her call for our old butler, Sebastian. I don't know what they've discussed, as I've already been led out back to my room, then hours have passed since then. Although a peculiar thing happened, as I have noticed that I've never seen my twin sisters again until dinner that same day. I didn't thought much of it as I dine with the rest of family, everything is still the same.

"Ah, that reminds me," my elder brother Alder, who was talking matters with our dad suddenly changes the topic, "Mr. Atkinson have agreed to push his supposed scheduled party in Luxforte for next week. As it turns out, he was not aware of the birthday celebration for Ainsley's only child."

My mom chimes in, "wise choice. He does not want to cross paths with the Ainsleys, the Atkinsons can not afford it."

My dad was quiet for a short while before he answers, "no, that party can still be delayed until the end of this month. Alder, have another meeting with Mr. Atkinson and reason with him."

"Why..." Alder paused, then he continues, "don't tell me that the person who visited you early that morning was the Ainsley's current CEO? Uncle Noah?"

Leonard nods, "that damned old man was acting like a child. He was pissed at the thought that somebody else's might steal the highlight away from his daughter. Emelia, did you know that Noah threatened me earlier? He said he would cut ties with the Luxforte Palace if I let Atkinson have his party. And here I thought we were sworn brothers, bloody hell!"

Emelia chuckles and says, "Noah is just infatuated to his daughter, that shouldn't come as a surprise for you now. But then again, the only problem is with Mr. Atkinson, would he even allow that? It must have embarrassed him to delay his scheduled party with late notice, now we have to make him wait until the end of this month. I can't imagine the shame he'll receive."

Leonard waves his hand away and says, "hah, who cares? Atkinson is just someone who has lots of money. Alder, if he makes a fuss, tell him that both the Ainsley and Hughes wouldn't tolerate his egoistic arse. Better yet, he cancels his own party. Nobody would bat an eye."

"Wouldn't that affect the Luxforte's reputation? What if he spreads rumors about it?" Alder replies and Leonard shakes his head.

"Unless he's a dumbass who wants to ruin his career, Atkinson would never dare. Money alone will never measure superiority."

Alder silently sighs while Emelia chuckles softly.

"Since we talked about parties, Emelia, are these brats going to attend Arcene's birthday celebration?"

Finally seeing the opportunity to speak, the twins eagerly replied, "we're not brats, and we will definitely attend! One-hundred percent attendance!"

Leonard ignored the twins and directly looked at me, "and you, little brat?"

I looked up at my mom and she smiles gently. Taking the final confirmation, I answered, "mm, I will also go, dad."

Leonard snorts, "good, the whole family will attend. In this way, that bastard Noah should think that we honor his oh-so beloved daughter. Let's see if he still can say that I disregarded our old friendship!"

Emelia helplessly rubs Leonard's back in an attempt to calm him down. From the looks of it, him and the Ainsley's main head, Noah, had a bit of a fight. Then, we continue to hear him complain about how Noah threatened him over that Atkinson's party, 'rediculous!' he says and continue saying that the Atkinson is just an insignificant ant compared to his overly glorified daughter, Arcene Ainsley.

"Since my siblings are to attend, we should prepare their gifts for Arcene."

Leonard quickly shuts down the idea, "we already prepared gifts, what's with the adding extra hassle for?"

"If Iona, Leona, and Elias have independent gifts, that should show our sincerity to uncle Noah and his daughter." Alder shortly answered.

"Ah, that's actually a good idea!" Emelia says with a single clap, and as if the idea has been decided, she quickly declares "I have plans to shop tomorrow and since Alder have mentioned about giving extra gifts, then I will just bring Elias with me so he and I could personally choose a gift."

Leonard huffs and nods his head, "whatever floats your boat."

"Mom, mom! We want to go--" the twins, who were excitedly jumping up and down on their chair, suddenly shut their mouth when they met Emelia's sharp glare. They immediately added, "on second thoughts, we do not want to come along, right Leo?"

"Yeah, we don't want to. Ha-ha-ha..."

"Great! It's decided then! Elias, we will shop tomorrow afternoon, alright?"

Confused, I silently looked at the twins as they pout, yet remained obedient. 'why can't they join us too?' is what I wanted to ask, but when I looked up at my mom, her usually gentle smile suddenly changed, giving me pressure, as if saying, you dare to ask? I decided to follow my instinct and don't dare to, before nodding to her.

That dinner ended as usual and we all went to our respective rooms after.

-----

A/U: I noticed that as I continue writing chapter 4, it just keeps getting longer. Ideas keeps popping in and tries to connect the dots for the wheels of the plot (to work). So, I decided to split it into two. 

Unfortunately, I thought I could finish the whole chapter before posting the first part, but I couldn't, so I need more time.

Also, sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes. I don't have enough energy to double check this chapter up hehe

Edit: I tried to fix, changed, and added some super small details today. Hopefully I didn't miss out any other mistakes. Will do another check when I'm in the mood!

6