Chapter 6 – The City of Kinsrealm
112 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6 - The City of Kinsrealm

~•~

"Sebastian, I trust that you'll look after my daughters," Emelia says softly, "Elias and I will be going out today to buy gifts for the Ainsley's birthday girl. While we're gone, please look after the house."

"My twins may see this as an opportunity to wander out of their room while I'm not around, Sebastian. When they do, strictly remind them that without my permission, they will be met with consequences they absolutely do not want to face."

"Understood, Madam. Rest assured, I will make sure to remind Miss Iona and Miss Leona to be in their best behavior."

Emelia hums, looking satisfied, then she turns around to face me. "Well, Elias, are you coming?"

I stood stupefied in front of my mom and Sebastian, as well as the other four servants waiting for our departure. I looked over the car in front of us; it's hovering above the ground, no tires, and barely no sound. I did not recognize the sound of an engine too. It's color is black so smooth it sparkles when met by the sunlight, glasses tinted black that can't be seen through from outside, and a logo, 'Holos', with a bonnet ornament of a striking silver-colored lion head sculptured on top of it.

I shouldn't be surprised though. I've already read these things on general history books; a quick summary of the past, the improvements from then, the results from it, and the current situation and view of this country and the world. Furthermore, the Keeper already confirmed this for me; this is not Earth, and that I have been reborn in another world.

Perhaps I'm used to reading fictional books, therefore did not take those information as facts. Perhaps I've subconsciously shrugged it off aside. But now, seeing the real thing in person, is nothing but a confirmation. All those facts aren't fiction all along.

"Come on, let's go." Emelia's voice brought back to my senses as she took my hand and led me towards the car. Although the car is hovering, I have long legs, so I easily followed after Emelia inside the car then made myself comfortable.

I quickly noticed that the car didn't bounced and wiggled around as we moved in and settled ourselves. Despite the air conditioning, the car does not have a smell, to which I am grateful for. The seats are creamy brown colored and leathered which gives a comfortable feel, albeit luxurious still. The driver seat is separated from the passengers by a partition too.

I saw the chauffeur go in the front, then the car soon drove away. I looked back to see the servants bowing their heads with only butler Sebastian waving his hand at us. Sitting back comfortably, I watched the carefully trimmed grasses, trees and beautiful flowers as we drove through the long avenue, then after awhile the car slows down. I saw a gate open, it was large and black colored, intimidating yet exquisitely made. Besides it are the guards bowing to us as we pass through them. I looked back and as expected, I didn't see the mansion through the open gate from this distance.

I had thought that my new family is rich, but I didn't think they would be this rich...

This time, the road is surrounded by densely populated trees. It looked refreshing against the afternoon light, and as I stare out of the window I let my mind wonder.

"Tomorrow will be Arcene's birthday, so today we will be looking for her gift. Have you thought of any, Elias?"

Shaking my head, I answered, "No, not really."

"I see, but remember Elias, Arcene is going to be your friend, and I want you to be friends for a long time. Don't you think that the first gift should be important?"

I hummed lightly and thought for a moment, then I replied, "Will Mom help me choose for Arcene, then? I do not know what she wants, but Mom have met her, so you must know her better than I am."

Emelia smiles softly, "I wanted you to choose for yourself, but first impression is important. Well, let's see what we can find in the mall when we get there."

"Okay."

After that, I looked back outside through the window, and I gasped.

Under the warm sunlight, the path finally opened from a see of green trees to a bright, dazzling city of Kinsrealm. The city looked like it came straight out of a medieval fantasy era; the houses are mostly made of stones and then bricks. Yet at the same time is also futuristic because of the hovering cars, the smooth roads, and the most shocking of all is the holographic billboards.

The first impression was strong -- advanced in technology yet deeply cultured city, that's what the Kinsrealm is.

I have never considered these things before. For one, our house looked like a regular rich person's mansion; it was huge, elegant, and most importantly modern (at least in Earth's standard). My family does not possess advanced gadgets, there were only regular books and flat screen TVs, even my phone just looked like an iPhone. My family does not hold any gadgets at home too, let alone the servants themselves...

It's only today that I realized there was a great contrast between Earth and Gaea.

Suddenly I remember a passage I've read in the book, something I was quick to dismiss:

'The country of Levetha is governed by an absolute monarchy, its current King is Garrett Walker II, the longest living King in Levetha's history...'

Could it be..?

Before I could form a thought, Emelia suddenly spoke.

"It has been awhile since the last time you left home and came to the city, right Elias?" Emelia's voice shakes me out of trance and pats my head, "are you excited?"

For a moment I debated whether or not to ask and just answer her as usual, but an urge to confirm is hard to ignore. I looked up to Emelia briefly and with the sudden feeling of shyness, I asked.

"Mom, is the king the acting leader of our country? Do we live in a monarchy-based society?"

Emelia was surprised at the sudden question, her hand freezing for a moment before it shakes a little. A chuckle bursts out of her lips as she answers, "Why yes, dear. The king is the ruler of Levetha, King Garrett II.  Why the sudden question, Elias? Have you read books again?"

"Sort of," I nodded, "I'm just a little curious, that's all." And surprised, to be honest. For an advanced city, they sure follow the culture too strictly for its government to be still a monarch.

I decided not to voice out this thought.

"Speaking of which, Garrett and his queen Isabella will be attending Arcene's birthday tomorrow. Did I tell you about this already?"

"No..." I paused, then frowned. "Wait, Mom, why is the royal family going to attend? Isn't it just Arcene's party?"

I was shocked to hear it. For a royal to attend someone's birthday party, let alone a kid's at that, how big of a family does she have? To be visited personally by both the king and queen themselves...

Emelia chuckles at my dumb face, "you look surprised, sweety, but I understand. Actually, the Ainsley family is long distance relative to the current royal family. Their relationship is deep, starting from the first twenty-one generations long ago, and yet they've maintained close contact all these years. Since then, both the royal family, Walker, and the Ainsley's have been in each other's back. That's why it's not that too surprising for both Garrett and Isabella to attend."

My eyes rapidly blinks as I absorb the newly found information. I had originally thought that Arcene Ainsley, the person my mother instructed me to befriend with, is just your typical spoiled rich brat. But who would've thought she's actually a long distance related to the royal family, specially with close relationship -- the Walker family who currently governs over the nation.

To be the only child of such a powerhouse, let alone their daughter, who wouldn't be both spoiled and a brat? Only literal angels will be.

It almost sounds like she has every right to be one.

"But sweety, you don't have to worry about it, alright?" Emelia smoothes the crease between my brows, her smile gentle. "Me and your dad will be there, not to mention your older brother, Alder. You'll be alright, okay?"

Feeling reassured, I nodded, "Okay, if Mom says so..."

I watched as we pass through the culturally rich city, it almost feels like the streets of Italy, except with advanced technologies. There were holographic TVs and brand signs above the front of highest buildings to attract attention, and I even caught a few or more white colored robots collecting trash off the street, it's trashcan-designed body only have blue colored words on it, 'Sweeper Bot'.

Soon, in the distance I can see a huge mall, its brand sign is also lit up hologram -- a blue globe surrounded by a yellow ring, with the bold words 'HighLand' on top of it. I can see cars driving in and out from the other side of the mall, yet our chauffeur drove through the back of the mall. Then I saw two guards looking over the hood of our car but didn't stop us.

The chauffeur proceeded to drive through before we soon reach the road that leads to the parking lot. There was a holographic 'STOP' sign in color red that blocked our entry inside, and looking further that is a dark-looking driveway that goes upwards, with only long rectangular LED lights illuminating it. From the side, a guard came out from the booth and went closer to our driver's side. A moments later the red holographic sign disappeared, and the car drove in further.

When we reached the top, I then noticed that only very few cars are parked in and all of it are looking very expensive. Most are sports car, while the rest looked classic in black, like ours. At first glance this looks likes a place only for the rich to park. After choosing a spot, our car parked, engine stopped, and the chauffeur opened the door on the side my mom.

"Madam, we've arrived," he says, "would you like me to accompany the Madam and young master Elias inside?"

Emelia stepped out and stood straight, before she offered her hand to me then I followed her out. She answers, "No need, you can stay here and wait for us."

"Understood, Madam. Then, I wish for the Madam and young master Elias a splendid time."

Not long after uttering those words, two people suddenly emerged from out of nowhere; one male and another female, both wearing professional black suit attires. The two people bowed to Emelia before the man speaks.

"Mrs. Hughes, we are very honored to receive you. Please allow me to introduce ourselves; I am John, and this my partner, Jessica." John says as both of them showed each of their cards that has an 'ECS' gold colored logo and then their names. "We are under ECS, and we offer to give assistance to our valued VIP customers. Would Mrs. Hughes like to require our assistance?"

Emelia smiles, "No, I intend to look around alone with my son today, so there is no need to trouble yourselves. I hope your department won't mind."

John and Jessica bows a little deeply before John answers, "Certainly, Mrs. Hughes, we wouldn't dare. If Mrs. Hughes does not require help, then we will not further take your time. We deeply thank you for visiting HighLand Mall today."

Then Jessica steps in and offers, "Mrs. Hughes, let us lead you the way. Please, come with us."

Emelia suddenly takes out a black fascinator that matches her light dress, puts on sunglasses, before shoving a cute black fedora hat on my head. She takes my hand before gesturing for the two assistance to move along. We soon reached an elevator which opens immediately with a single tap on the button.

"May Mrs. Hughes and young master enjoy your time inside. Please excuse us..." Both John and Jessica says with a bow as we enter the elevator.

As soon as it closes, I asked Emelia, "Mom, who are they? What is ECS?"

"Aren't you a little curious fella, Elias? Well, this is your first time coming here, after all. " Emelia smiles, "ECS stands for Exclusive Customer Service which is only offered for the very important people. HighLand puts extreme value to their rich customers, so the CEO made this department."

I hummed, "So it is a special service for the wealthy."

"Precisely, but we don't really need them for now. Today we'll just have to enjoy ourselves, shall we?"

Well, we are only here to buy for gifts, so there is no real need for assistance.

When the elevator opened, a small grey-themed hallway can be seen. At the end of it is two golden-colored double doors, which is the only thing that contrasted the theme of the place, with two guards in front. The guards bowed as soon as they saw us and they smoothly opened the double doors.

Before I could even begin to scan the surroundings, a happy face of an employee was quick to greet us.

"Welcome to HighLand Mall, dear customers. Please enjoy your stay." He bows and gave us the way while smiling so broadly.

Nevertheless, the creepy smile didn't distract me from seeing the wonders inside. To be honest, the mall was nothing special, it was the same as your regular mall, albeit it's bigger, wider, and have more space that could store lots of people. It felt cool and refreshing, giving a sense of ease too, and though important, that's not the one that caught my attention.

There is an open space in an oval shape and is surrounded by each platforms, which is a total of four floors. In the center of it is the same logo I've seen earlier from outside; a holographic blue colored globe with sparkling golden ring, but this one is bigger and more detailed. I could properly see each continents, as well as distinguishing the cities within them which is highlighted by a white line.

The blue globe would rotate around and when it does, some of the cities were highlighted and then a brief video would appear, of course, it's holographic. One video would show a huge evening concert, one shows a summer festival, another one would show a concert too, but is done inside a mall that has the same blue globe logo above. I'm assuming it must be a branch from another part of the world.

It's hard not to notice it, practically everyone who walks would occasionally gaze up the holographic show. Even my Mom looked up to it, but it was brief moments only before she tugs my hand.

"Come on, let's go. We don't have time to waste." Emelia says softly, "Don't let go of my hand, sweety. And when you do, don't wander far from me, okay?"

I had to blink multiple times to refocus my vision back to her before I answered, "Okay Mom, I understand."

_____________

A/U: Sorry for late update! I had a bit of author's block, and I can't move on without fixing these annoying minor issues of mine. Apologies for any mistakes! Keep in mind that I made this chapter with half my brain working, but nevertheless I enjoyed making this one! Even though it gave me a headache.

This chapter is mostly just world-building, and for those who expected an action, I apologize! Sorry for being slow! I'll make up to it somehow. This time I'll try to update the next chapter faster but I won't promise! 

Anyways, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this one!

5