Chapter 5: Merchant District, Madam Caren
669 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

| [ ] |

.

“Tell me more about gods.”

“If meeting them requires me to ascend the ladder of power in this world, wouldn’t that mean, that I have to become some sort of superhero, ally of justice, or puppet to them?” Edmond askend, after he finished his tea.

.

“Well…”

“Yes. It means exactly that. If you are willing to involve yourself with gods.”

“And honestly, gods don’t really take a fancy to humans easily.”

“You may have to… experience near-death situations a couple of times. If you want to enter their ears or eyesight.” Alfred answered.

.

“…”

“Fuck. I am forced to act like the lonely child who yearns for his parents attention, right?” (Edmond)

.

“…”

“Yeah. It’s a really shameful way. But you will have to suck it up. Even if it means to try seducing or selling yourself to them.”

“God resembles it’s creation. For it is that his own image that he used to create humans.”

Alfred told Edmond, as his blue eyes became hazy for a second before return to their original color.

.

“Em…”

“Are you okay? You seemed to almost snap out of your calm face for a second there.”

Noticing the irregularity in Alfred’s eyes. Edmond asked with a bit of worry.

.

“I am fine.”

“I just remembered some loathing facts about gods. That’s all.” Alfred closed his eyes and massaged his eyebrows.

His cigarette was almost consumed. Only 1/3 of it remained now.

.

“The fact that god is human too?”

“Haha. Even in my world, everyone knows that.”

“What’s there to be emotional about? In regards to this.” (Edmond)

.

Looking at Edmond, Alfred put down his cigarette in an ashtray. And answered again.

“… The fact that god is a sinner too…”

“There is no right or wrong in this world. There is only a brain that desperately tries to distinguish good from evil.”

“As such… it’s really impressive how we worship gods, despite them being sinners themselves.” (Alfred)

.

“!!!” 

“…”

“You aren’t too religious, huh.” (Edmond)

.

“I never was.”

“Sometimes people grow up to love gods. Other times, they grow up detesting them for what the gods did to them.”

“The world of mortals is a such place. A place where the weak will always dislike something, while the strong will not.”

.

“…”

“Wise words for a scholar.”

“Is your professional career a Sage perhaps?”

Edmond expressed with astonishment as he learned a side of Alfred that he didn’t know of.

.

“Haha. Ha…”

“We should move out.”

“Now that we have gotten to know each other better, I think that we can get along with each other, even if some unpleasant circumstances appear.”

“Get up. We are leaving the comfort zone.” (Alfred)

.

Edmond wanted to ask more questions. But seeing how Alfred had answered to most of the important questions he had. He let go of his questioning mode.

Moreover, they had spent enough time in this coffee  bar. 

It’s time for him too look at the outside world. And learn from himself, in what kind of world he was to live on, for the upcoming months or years he would be in this world 

Time.

If only people had enough time.

How nice it would be. 😏

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

.

“Alright.”

“I too think we had enough of staying in one place.”

“Where are we going?” Edmond asked the scholar when he got up from his seat.

.

Getting up from the other seat beside the table. Alfred crossed his arms and put his right hand on his chin for a while.

Thinking for a couple of seconds, he finally thought of something and put down his arms. Ready to answer to Edmond. Again.

“Gregory University.”

“It’s the facility I teach at. And also the place where we can find an acquaintance of mine that can help with your residency permit.”

“Furthermore, as you are now. We need to buy some outfits for you.”

“I can’t allow you to walk around the town in pajamas.” (Alfred)

.

“Understood~!”

“Does this mean that you will pay for everything?” Edmond said with a grin (😏) on his face.

.

“As much as it hurts my wallet. You are my responsibility now.”

“We already have a deal of exchanging cultural and scientific knowledge.”

“Me not being able to support you, would make our deal quite unstable.” Alfred continued.

.

“Ho.”

“It seems like you do know how to take care of people. And are quite good at that.” Edmond pointed out.

.

Bonk~!

“Ouchies~!”

.

Hitting Edmond on his head with a fist. Alfred endured the loss he is taking by associating himself with this alien.

“Let’s go!”

He then walked out of the bar. Leaving Edmond with his hands massaging his head.

.

“Right, right!” 

Panicked and a bit hurt, Ed followed Alfred out of the coffee bar.

It seems that he has become too comfy with Al. Ed is wondering why?

But this doesn’t matter much. He seems like a nice guy to stick around with.

For now…

.

“Clank.”

“Ank!”

Opening and closing two times the door of the coffee bar. The two individuals exited their comfort zone, only to find themselves on the town’s square once again.

.

“Follow me.” Alfred told Edmond, afterwards he began heading on the east side of town. There where people gathered more then usually.

.

“Is there something on the east end of the plaza.” Edmond questioned while following Alfred on his right side.

.

“The merchant district.”

“A place where goods are traded for the right price.”

“Gold is the current currency of the [Ria Kingdom].”

“1 gold coin can buy a piece of bread. 5 gold coins can buy you a cheap drink and a table to sit at. 10 to 50 gold coins would be the price of an normal item or daily necessity you would want to buy.”

“100 to 200 gold coins can give a night stay in a really, REALLY cheap inn or Motel.”

“As for 500, 1000, or 10,000 gold coins. You would have to figure that out for yourself.”

Turning his head to Edmond, who was walking beside him Alfred stopped for a minute. 

Looking at Edmond carefully he continued his explanation.

“Gold is valuable. Silver is too. But the current kingdom doesn’t really care too much about circulating silver. If anything, they just put a value to silver by examining the purity and weight it has. Afterwards, they sell it to make whatever they need of it.

“Metal is valuable. Resources are necessary to sustain a civilization. However…”

“We live in a world where deities can destroy a town with the flick of a finger.”

.

“In a world where humans have to worry about natural catastrophes, gods, crime rate, and ever evolving monsters.”

“Resources are the last thing a kingdom needs.”

.

“Strength is more important. Humans need strength more then money or authority.”

“With money(gold), humans can trade. Rise itself an army to protect their own kind against criminals, monsters, natural disasters, and enemy invasions.”

“Without gold, they have nothing to do but be good neighbors and hunt down monsters to seek clothing.”

.

“With authority, mankind can make a chain of command. Create a system that relies on who is more valuable then the others. Build laws that protect the population and condemn evil.”

“Without status(authority), mankind would never be capable of making a town, let alone a city. Leading the people is more difficult then it looks like Mr. Edmond.”

“Someone needs to rule. Without a ruler to make decisions, the fate of our brethren is vague.”

.

“Inhale. Exhale.” (Alfred)

“Lastly.”

With strength, you can do everything. Be it authority or money, strength gives the right towards everything you wish to have.”

“You can stand above others without being treated as a weakling. Nothing can hurt you if you are strong.”

.

“Being weak at the age of 10 to 12 is okay. People can sympathize with that. After all, a child needs to grow and develop.”

“Nevertheless. If you are weak at the age of 18 to 40. That is a sin. A sin that demands you to die no matter the time or place you live in.”

.

“Avrora is a planet where monsters and magic exists. The existence of these two abnormalities makes it impossible for a citizen to be weak.”

“If the people are weak. They can never cover for their children or shower them with warmth.”

“As such, they die.”

.

“Strength determines everything.”

“Remember well Edmond.”

“Without the strength to back yourself up, you are like a fish that everyone can hock without worrying about consequences.”

“Try to understand that even with me by your side. Your chances of survival cannot increase. And death is always waiting at the entrance of your house.”

“~!!!”

Hearing a bit about this strange world he had landed on. Edmond felt the dangers of this world for the first time since he got to Avrora.

But.

He didn’t get depressed after hearing this. Nor did he utter a curse.

Instead of being demoralized. He got motivated more instead.

His eyes shined more then usual. The thought of there being more to this world than meets the eye, captivated him. Giving him enough curiosity and courage to aim for the top of the food chain even more.

If he wasn’t willing to take on the dangers of this world. How could he hope to return home, to his beloved family.

As such, he has to motivate himself. Even if there are dangers that threatens to kill him at any moment.

.

“Why are you telling me so much?” 

“Are you afraid that I might get scammed or used for other purposes?” (Edmond)

.

Continuing to look at Edmond in the eye. Alfred replied softly.

“Sincerely…”

“I told you all of this because I care and worry about you.”

“You are new to many things around here. And if something happened to you while you are under my custody…”

“That would leave a long lasting mark on my heart.”

Alfred expressed himself as best as he could, then he began to walk forward once more. Leaving a shocked Edmond behind.

.

‘Certainly, you are more then a scholar, Mr. Alfred.’

‘Showing emotions to a newly made friend such as me…’

‘You are either the wisest man I have met, or a fool who is kinder then he looks on the outside.’

Edmond thought as he watched the back of such a kind man, lead him forward, in a world where might makes right, and the weak stand aside.

.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

.

Inside the merchant district. A place visited by many. Rich and poor alike.

Two man stood beside earth other. Walking forward, without a glint of worry in their eyes.

Soon enough tho. The two young men stopped their movements, as they had come right there where they wished to be.

.

“Oh, wow.”

“There are so many people here!” Edmond exclaimed to Alfred. 

His eyes shined with newfound attention, as he looked at the many stores, street vendors, and tall buildings displayed in his sight.

.

“Welcome to the merchant district.”

“If you want something, you have to pay in gold for it. That’s the rule here.”

“Ah, and don’t try stealing anything around these parts. You may end up with broken legs if you do.” (Alfred)

.

Listening to Alfred, Edmond continued to look around. Taking in the sight of men, young and old, as they purchased their necessities and left without any loud sounds.

“The business seems to be booming here.” (Edmond)

.

Indeed. Business was blooming in every store. People came and left.

Gender didn’t matter. Age didn’t too.

For each individual that came, resources were allocated according to the prices the seller and buyer agreed on.

Rarely could you catch a dissatisfied face in the background. For prices were given, and if people couldn’t afford something, they had to come back when their pockets were full.

.

The district was clean of any trash. Store owners conducted business with smiles in their heart. Sometimes they did not smile too much tho, for they felt pain in their hearts.

Not everyone in Ledwigton was illiterate.

If anything, literacy was necessary for everyone.

Being unaware of prices could result in one’s pocket becoming empty. As such, hehe, you had to be shrewd to survive.

Even peasants knew that. Let alone 8 year old children, who bought candies everyday.

.

“So, which store will we visit?” (Edmond)

.

“Madam Caren’s store. An old acquaintance of mine.”

“Her clothes may not be the best. But believe me when I tell you that she has the cleanest wardrobe in town.”

Alfred said, afterwards he took a left turn and headed for a certain store in the vicinity.

Seeing Alfred acting cool and wise as always. Edmond sighted 😞, for the man himself was trying to leave him behind intentionally, now and then.

“Clank.”

“Ring, ring~!”

“A door bell…”

Near an old yet clean store. Alfred open a door.

The door as if expecting visitors rang a few times before going silent.

.

Hearing the bell ringing vigorously, Ed felt excited and happy. It seems that no matter the planet, people always liked to put a bells on their door.

However… Edmond was unaware that the bell was there to notify the store owner of intruders.

.

“Finally a client! The first of this week~!”

“…”

“Oh, if it isn’t young Al.”

“Damn it. I thought I could scam someone today!”

‘$@@&$))&@@@$(;::$~!!!’

A woman dressed beautifully, came out from behind the two men.

Her hair was brown. Her eyes were brown too. But her body was quite curvy and charming. 

With a face and skin beautiful enough to charm all the men in town. The woman said a few words before getting depressed and uttering a few low pitched curses.

.

“Ahaha. Haha.”

“Edmond. This is madam Caren.”

“She is the one I talked about, just now…” Alfred said while laughing with an unpleasant face.

He seemed to know this beauty. But the beauty herself seemed to not mind Al’s presence too much during her curses.

.

“Hello. It’s a pleasure to meet you, madam Caren.”

“Al said that you were an old acquaintance of his, who can help with…”

“Buying clothes…” 

Edmond was shocked at her beauty. But what shocked him more were her curses.

To think that such a beauty had such a personality like this…

Well… You cannot ask for kind people to be present everywhere.

Alfred was a good find. Edmond was lucky to encounter him instead of her.

.

“Hm…”

“A boy toy.”

“Have you finally given up on women Al?”

“If so, you could have asked me to be your woman dammit! Despite being in my fourties(40), I have more appeal then a countryside boy!”

The beauty said loudly, as she was a bit shocked to see Alfred. A man who has no friends or foe, associate himself with a really cute, charming and dashing young man, who’s handsomeness was genuine. 

(Note: Edmond has become very sexy because of his race changing from human to incubus.)

.

“OwO!”

“Cough, cough~! Ahem~!”

“Madam Caren, while I value your proposal to become a scholar’s wife. I must remind you that I am still a customer. And as ‘your’ customer, I demand respect.”

“Pretty please…” 

Listening to the madam’s proclamation of wanting to become Alfred’s wife. Alfred opened his eyes wide, but then he composed himself quickly.

As a scholar, having an affair with such a beautiful ‘lady’ wasn’t a problem… but… it would cost him far too much then what it’s worth it. Especially now that he has Edmond to take care of.

Furthermore, Alfred knew that becoming her husband was not something pleasant, legally at that!

.

“You are such a nice man Alfred. You have always been.”

“Compared to the other bastards that can’t afford a decent casual uniform, you are always a boy that prefers to not leave behind any debts. Even if it costs you your monthly wage.”

“Tsk, Tsk.”

“I am heartbroken tho. I thought I had a chance with you seeing how we have been good friends for almost 15 years now.” Madam Caren continued to express herself unwilling to listen to Alfred, out of jealousy for Edmond.

.

“Look. He is just a friend I made today. There is no such relationship between me and him.” (Alfred)

.

“So says the man that has been a virgin for his entire life.”

“Listen Alfred. I know men very well.”

“They always look good on the outside. But on the inside they are like beasts dying to mate with a female.”

“Plus. You have never shown a bit of interest in having female friends outside of work. As such, I cannot think anything else, but assume that you are ‘gay’.”

“To think that my best customer, who I considered a worthy candidate for a groom is homosexual.”

“Ah ❤️! Such bad luck ❤️!”

.

“TT__TT”

“I AM NOT GAY! Dammit!”

“And the sooner you realize that! The sooner you would fill your pocket with gold today! Cause if not! I am leaving for good!” Alfred, unwilling to endure any more of the madam’s sentences, burst out in rage.

He simply couldn’t allow himself to be misunderstood so easily.

The blonde, with azure eyes, and a well built muscular body, refused to be acknowledged ‘as such’ by this crazy woman!

Yeah. Alfred was a blondie. And a good top model material at that.

He was handsome enough to be desired by my women, and would gain a lot of money if he sold himself. But… pride… his pride as a scholar didn’t allow him to become a playboy yet.

.

“…”

“Maybe I should walk out of the store.”

“You two can continue your love quarrel, I will just wait outside since this conversation is going to be a long one.” Edmond said while looking at the two people being so ‘friendly?’.

As such, he turned his back on these people and was about to escape, when suddenly two hands came out behind him and held him by his two shoulders.

.

“Dear costumer, don’t leave yet. I will make sure to dress you well. As for the ceremony, when who’ll it be held?” Madam Caren smiled menacingly 😊.

.

“Edmond! Tell her the truth!”

“Tell her that I am not a homosexual, dammit~!”

.

Turning his head to look at two genders, who had an issue with one another, Edmond smiled weakly. Then he said.

“There is no such relationship between us madam.”

“I swear that I met him today. And he has been helping me out since… I hired him… as guide.”

.

“Really now? You expect me to believe that when you walk around dressed in night attire? And are probably one of the most handsome men I have ever seen in my life?” (Madam Caren)

.

“Agh..”

‘This is going to turn into a long conversation again.’ Alfred face slapped himself.

He really should not have come here today.

>>>

To be continued…

I was sick 😷 when I tried to write this  chapter last time. Thank god, the doctor said it was a natural cold instead of the COVID-19

6