B.2) Chapter 40- A Volldsteen Party
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     “How do you find the Wallow-Wallow Brie Master Keldon?” called Feltman from the front coach.

   Keldon licked the smear of creamy herb cheese off his thumb, smacking his lips as he added the savory taste to his repertoire. He hadn’t eaten all day. After he’d gotten settled in, he made quick work of the basket of fruits, cheeses, meats, and bread as his appetite stole his attention from him.

   “The rosemary flavor is a bit strong but overall, pretty tasty. Probably an eight out of ten for me,”

   “But the charm is subtle! If it pleases you Master Keldon, I’d encourage you to try it but with a couple more ingredients. Spread it evenly with a cut of cured boar and a slice of bread,” said Feltman.

   He reached over to the basket of baked goods and sliced off a piece of bread from a warm cheesy loaf, topping it with a translucent cut of dark salted beef. He took a bite of the makeshift bandage when a burst of flavor coated his tongue.

   “Oh wow!”

   The gamey-ness of the boar had been totally cut through by the strong herbed cheese and was only further complimented by the nuttiness of the bread. Within seconds, he’d devoured the entire sandwich as his stomach growled for more.

   Feltman turned to Keldon with a chest full of pride.

   “Seems you and Master Howard share the same taste in the finer foods.”

   “Howard a cheese and meat fan?” asked Keldon.

   “It’s always been one of Master Howard’s favorites,”

   “Hm, seems appropriate,” said Keldon.

  With a full belly, Keldon popped the last of the bread into his mouth as smacked his hands against each other, dusting off the crumbs. He began tidying up the wooden shelf of liquors and snacks, brushing the scraps of food off the shelf onto his hand and dumping them neatly into the basket.

  Keldon gazed towards the cloud sector, seeing the ground-wyrm pull the cart smoothly across the fresh pavement as they passed rows of carefully sculpted crystal lanterns that lit the far-stretching roads of the cloud sector. Every so often, the road would fork off into a gated area, each one protected by guards sporting different colors.

  Despite the wide comfortable streets, there were a fraction of the carriages compared to Lower Kharburn. The carriages themselves had more bulk, fair enough. But there was enough width for four carriages on this street alone.

   “So, was Howard always a stoic kind of guy?” asked Keldon, switching to the other couch to chat with Feltman.

  “From what my father had told me, I believe so,” said Feltman. “I was never interested in the family business until recently, so I’ve only been around for a decade or so.”

  “That’s pretty long I’d say,” said Keldon.

  “My apologies Master Keldon, I’ve forgotten to clarify. My family branch is Old-blood,” said Feltman, turning to look at Keldon.

  “Old-blood?” asked Keldon, raising an eyebrow.

  “If I may be so bold as to presume, but you’re not from Kharburn then are you, yes?”

  He felt a nerve prick at the back of his neck. Not once, but twice now, he’d been found out. What other common knowledge was he missing?

  “Honestly, no. Does Old-blood mean you’re different or something?”

  A smile crept onto Feltman’s face as he broke into a cynical laugh.

  “So some would say,” said Feltman. “Old-blood simply refers to whether your family lineage was a part of the First Prime's original empire or not. On the other hand, New-blood refers to a family lineage that joined post continental unification,”

  “Oh, is that some big thing in Kharburn?” asked Keldon.

  “The meanings mostly faded for the day-to-day folk in Kharburn. But for those of us in the cloud sector, perhaps it means then it should.”

  Feltman stared ahead in a daze. An icy silence hung in the air for a few chilling seconds. Eventually, Feltman shook himself out of the trance.

  “My apologies Master Keldon, it’s a long and complicated history for some of us,” said Feltman.

  “Like Howard?”

  “Especially Master Howard.”

  “That’d explain the seriousness,” said Keldon.

  Feltman nodded in agreement when suddenly, a dazzling light caught Keldon's attention. Up ahead where the road forked into two, one of the pathways was decorated with glimmering crystal trees stuck out like sore thumbs in the night. Delicate leaves twinkled light like they were kissed by faeries, attracting Keldon’s sense of wonder.

  “Oh wow! What’s that?” asked Keldon.

  “A symbol of Baron Volldsteen’s wealth. It’s how he announces to the world, they’ve arrived at his manor,” said Feltman.

  Feltman pulled the reins, steering the ground-wyrm into the hall of crystal trees as Keldon noticed that even the pavement that the carriage trod upon was intricately carved with swirled knots and dots.

  The ground-wyrm pulled the cart towards a shimmering gold gate which was manned by two well-groomed guards.

  “Good evening boys!” called out Feltman.

  The two guards clicked their heels together, saluting Feltman as the gate swung open with smooth satisfying motion. Without even an ounce of hesitation, Feltman drove the carriage through the gate as he waved the guards a pleasant goodbye.

  Keldon gave Feltman a confused look.

  “That’s it? You can just… go through?”

  “Why yes, we simply can Master Keldon,” said Feltman in a playful voice.

  Keldon turned around, seeing that the gleaming gate had closed. There was a yellow cart that had trailed behind them, and yet the two guards stepped towards them, taking papers from the carriage driver.

  “Huh… cool,” said Keldon.

  But as the cart rolled further into Baron Volldsteen’s manor, the closer Keldon’s jaw became to touching the floor. Everywhere he looked there was luxury. Statues of fierce beasts of myth stood proudly in neatly trimmed rose bushes that teemed with sparkling lights.

  Keldon heard a clopping from behind. He turned around to see a well-dressed servant clutching onto a glass case of grilled meats riding gallantly on horseback. The servant galloped past the carriage, waving hello at Feltman as he turned the corner out of view.

  And when the carriage followed suit, the surprises never ended.

  The road led up to a dazzling crystal fountain, encircled by hundreds of carriages which were parked in front of an enormous sparkling white manor that shone like a brilliant sun in the night. The entryway was practically filled to the brim with nobles in elegant gowns and cloaks as they poured out onto the streets.

  “Seems Baron Volldsteen is throwing his weekly party tonight,” said Feltman, stopping at the red carpet that led to the staircase of the entranceway.

  “This happens every week?”

  “Of course, No one in Kharburn throws parties like the Volldsteen’s.”

  A splash of water splattered onto the ground, surprising a lady as Keldon looked up to the rooftop where nobles in swimwear lounged in bubbling pools of glowing water.

  “So how do I talk to him? I need to give him this letter,”

  Feltman raised an eyebrow at Keldon.

  “I thought you two were close?”

  “I’ve never met him.”

  “And you dared to call Baron Volldsteen… by Wubbo?” asked Feltman.

  “It’s what Bertram told me. He said he was a little of a slimy guy.”

  “And who exactly, is this Bertram character?”

  “Honestly, beats me at this point.”

  There was a stunned look on Feltman’s face as he scratched his head. Feltman scanned the crowd of people as Keldon leaned back, trying not to show his face through the window.

  “This is… a lot of people,” thought Keldon.

  Very important people he might add too.

  “Allow me to be of assistance to you, come with me,” said Feltman.

  Feltman leaped out of the carriage, opening the door for Keldon as he poked his head out for a look. Taking a deep breath, he hopped out of the carriage as Feltman led him through the sea of nobles as the pressure of their presence made Keldon shrink into his cloak. Eventually, as Feltman reached the bottom of the entryway staircase, he stopped, approaching a fair-skinned woman with chestnut hair and blond-colored curls. She bore the uniform of a servant but carried herself with noble elegance.

  “Bethany, would you be so kind as to lead this gentleman to Baron Volldsteen for me?”

  The woman named Bethany spun around with grace, leveling her gaze at Feltman’s chin automatically. However, as she realized who had caught her attention, she met Feltman in the eyes.

  “Jonah!” said Bethany. However, before continuing her conversation, she turned to Keldon, addressing him with a slight bow.

  “I’d be more than happy to escort an esteemed guest to Sir Volldsteen, however, work aside, would you happen to have that watch that you’ve borrowed from me six weeks ago?” said Bethany.

  A sheepish smile crawled onto Feltman’s face.

  “Well, you see, I hadn’t realized that I’d be seeing you today. I wouldn’t dare mishandle something so precious as to carry it around with me everywhere I went.” Said Feltman

  “Mhm Mhm, I’m sure you wouldn’t dare. Is that why you didn’t bring it with you at Brother Ziegler’s convocation ceremony either?” said Bethany.

  “Of course! Those evenings are always quite frightful what with the sheer amount of people running about and all,” said Feltman

  “Right. Then I’ll make sure to swing by your house before my shift the next morning to pick it up myself,” said Bethany.

  Feltman swallowed.

  “*ahem* of course, It’ll be in your hands by the morning.”

  “I’m sure it will be,” said Bethany, turning to Keldon. “Please allow me the honor of escorting you,”

  She turned to walk up the staircase, gently beckoning for Keldon to follow along with a firm, but an unassuming gesture. However, before Keldon went to follow her, he turned to Feltman.

  “I almost forgot, thanks for everything,” said Keldon, reaching out for a handshake.

  Feltman stared at his hand, giving Keldon a strange look.

  “…what?” asked Keldon.

  A gentle smile spread across Feltman’s face. “It was an honor to serve,” he said.

  He lowered his head to a slight bow, touching Keldon’s knuckle to his forehead.

  Feltman took a step back, putting his hand on his chest and tucking his foot behind him in a graceful bow goodbye as he gave Keldon a grin, and turned back around into the crowd.

  Keldon watched him leave as he turned to Bethany who kept her gaze at his chin with a warm smile.

  “Alright, let’s go,” said Keldon.

  There was so much more he needed to do, but respect needed to be paid along the way.

0