Chapter 33: “Twins”
53 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bond that unites the brothers is the strongest of all



The sewer tunnels in the city of Dumai were several levels deep; on the fourth level the tunnels were several meters high with several side tunnels that had no visible access since they were maintenance tunnels, they were high up out of sight, I prepared a rope and put together a makeshift harness and put it on the young man while the young woman watched curiously, then with a mighty jump I went up to the side tunnel, then slowly I raised the young man pulling the rope, finally, I lowered the rope again to let the young woman climb.

When I looked at them carefully, I realized that the outfit of both is not like that of the ninjas, they dressed similarly to the infamous Hashshashin of the middle ages, the members of the sect of the Nizaris who lived in the Middle East on the Earth, even the shape of their swords is reminiscent of the Arab Jamiyas, saving the difference that we were in another world and that it is about beastmen, the young woman called the young man brother, but it is more likely that it is a form of respect than a royal kinship, since historically all clans, assassin cults, and organizations recruited orphans and raised them with a great sense of brotherhood and respect.

"They won't find us in this tunnel", I said to the young woman, "Who are you? How did you know about a place like this?" the young woman asked curiously, "I'm Lif, just a mercenary from the south who dreams of traveling the world and a dwarf friend told me about this place" I answered casually while taking out various things from my backpack, "From the south? of the city beyond the mountains?" the young woman asked curiously, "Even further away, from the great black forest, I am from the forest tribes" I answered calmly, "With what a son of the barbarians of the south," said the young woman almost whispering, "problem with that?" I asked pouting.

"No no it's not just that I never saw anyone from the south I had only heard stories", said the young woman very embarrassed, apparently he was someone who had a hard time controlling his emotions, "With what stories eh, now come I will need your help," I said as I finished preparing all my utensils, then I turned on a special lamp that had a glass lens that allowed the light to focus directionally, "Hold this and light where I indicate, be careful it's something fragile", I said while passing the lamp, then with a small scissors cut the clothes of the young man exposing the chest, several deep wounds were visible, I also took off his mask, a young man, possibly in the same age range as Vance, between the ages of 17 to 19, his face was quite pale from blood loss and he was breathing weakly.

First I carefully cleaned the wounds and all utensils that I would use with alcohol to prevent infection, I crushed various medicinal herbs with a small wooden mortar into a paste which I then carefully applied to the wounds with a small wooden spatula, with a special needle and thread I proceeded to sew the wounds, slowly and carefully, after a long time being extremely concentrated on what I was doing I finally finished, "That's all we can do for him, now it depends entirely on his own strength" I said after heaving a sigh, then the young woman got on her knees and bowed deeply touching the ground with her forehead while shedding tears.

"Thank you for saving my brother", said the young woman solemnly, and then she took off her mask, "eh", I said in a stupid tone, the young woman was almost identical to the young man, "They're twins?" ask in a low voice, "Alsyd Lif I owe you an apology, I am Liath Lugina e Gjelber, from the Shadow clan of the Sith Cats tribe" Liath formally introduced, "Very good Liath, I think we have a lot to talk about", I said decisively, at first she was doubtful but finally she told me the whole story, the Shadow clan of the Sith Cats tribe had always lived isolated and with little contact with the outside world, only the best warriors of the clan were selected to go out to spy abroad.

 

 

Its home of origin was the northern forests that surround the great inland sea, the Sea of ​​Castial, the nation of the beastmen borders the northern border of the Kingdom of Castial and although it was called the nation of the beastmen since they were the largest population it also harbored populations of elves and dwarves, apparently good relations were maintained with human nations but in the shadows, people like Vinicius kidnapped and enslaved anyone who fell into their clutches, while no member of the Cats Sith tribe had been enslaved, several elven hunters had been kidnapped on the border between the two nations and the Liath group had been tasked with conducting an investigation.

 

 

Liath and her twin brother Dub were high-ranking warriors in training, commanded a group of low-ranking warriors, they had been commissioned to investigate the disappearance of the elves, they had tracked the slave traders to a place on the outskirts of Dumai, but apparently, the place was attacked before by someone else since when they attacked it they did not find anyone, an only large number of corpses of bandits, the remains of carnage, however, they managed to find some clues that led them to Dumai.

 

 

After infiltrating the city of Dumai, they managed to obtain information from various sources and upon learning of the attacks that Vinicius' organization had been suffering, they became emboldened and attacked without first obtaining sufficient information about their possible adversaries, after identifying the brothel that served as Toria's base, they attacked him head-on, thinking that they would only find common thugs, what happened next I could already imagine, only Liath and her brother Dub are level three warriors, the rest of his group were only level two warriors, including them were 26 people who attacked the Toria base, they managed to advance quickly, beating the thugs until they reached the top floor where Toria and her Raven bodyguards were waiting.

 

 

Confident of an easy victory they were reckless, 14 of their warriors died fighting and trying to cover the retreat, then they decided to divide into several groups to try to escape, as his brother had been seriously injured his group was the slowest of all, four warriors escorted them and when they reached them two stayed behind to gain time; Liath did not know the fate of the others, they had a meeting point on the outskirts of the city, but in the condition, her brother was in, it would be impossible for him to evade the search being carried out by Vinicius's men.

 

 

I patiently listened to Liath's story when she finally finished I started to speak, "Just so you know, I managed to save two of their warriors when I was trying to reach them, I don't know if they succeeded in the end but I managed to get rid of their pursuers for at least a few minutes" I said calmly to Liath, "Is that true alsyd Lif? You have my deepest thanks" said Liath and bowed again, "I propose an alliance, but first I must consult with other people, I am not alone in this fight" I said calmly, "I must also consult with my brother, I just hope that he recovers" said Liath lowering her head.

 

 

"Well for the moment you better stay here", I said as I handed him my water bag, several food rations as well as blankets, and some basic camping equipment, "Magic bags are convenient", I said to myself, "but alsyd Lif ..." Liath said but I didn't let her finish her sentence, "For the moment it will be safer for them to remain here, we cannot move your brother without drawing attention", I said while raising a hand to stop her from speaking, "I will return tomorrow night with a person who is my ally, for the moment just rest and take care of your brother", I said decisively.

 

 

"Tomorrow I will do some inquiries to check how everything is", I said as I went to the edge of the tunnel, "Thanks again alsyd Lif without your help we would be dead now", said Liath making another bow, It felt strange to be treated so respectfully; after listening carefully for a few minutes I finally descended into the main tunnel, I round through the sewers to mislead possible pursuers before surfacing, there was still a lot of movement at night, they continued frantically with the search but in a more covert way.

 

 

I had to go around the city several times to avoid being tracked, when I finally got to the inn I was tremendously fatigued, it was already very late in the morning, I did not know exactly how much time was left before sunrise, I bathed to wipe off the sweat and rechecked my wound, there seemed to be no problem, as it was a minor wound I just applied a herbal ointment to disinfect the wound and help heal it before applying a light bandage, then I was finally able to rest, fall asleep quickly.

 

 

It was a heavy sleep, I had not managed to wake up at dawn, I was still partially asleep when I felt my cheeks prick and a young female voice called me, "...kie ...up!!!, rookie wake up!!!, ROOKIE WAKE UP!!!!!" a scream made him almost jump out of bed!, then I saw Ariadna glaring at me standing next to my bed and the innkeeper Mrs. Irta laughing mischievously from the door of my room.

3