7. Coco
1.1k 5 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Ayan went to the twin bundle on the side and gently roused them from sleep. A quarter of an hour later, the family of four left the cave bringing nothing but each other. Not far from them the killing began when the two groups clashed. 

She dare not look back and mentally block out the noise of cursing and screaming. 

It was still early, dew clung on leaves wetting their clothes as they went deeper into the forest. When the trail ends, the real danger begins. 

In the long solitude of the forest, it finally ushered four people after so many years. At about 1800 meters, the family can be seen weaving through thick grass and plants. 

Stag-horses graze through fresh weeds and flowers on the slopes, while goats similar to ibexes daringly hop around the cliff sides.

Ayan marvelled at this world's ecosystem, to the uniqueness and strangeness entwined together that are new to her eyes. She thought of her college camping adventures before, the difference from her usual one is that she always has maps, sturdy equipment and definitely no crazy people chasing behind. The view in here however is several times richer than she had seen. 

There is a vibrant sign of life everywhere and pollution-free water is abundant. 

The climate in the forest is mild but after walking for half a day, they were already sweaty, hungry and tired. 

"Let's rest for a while. I don't think those people can catch up with this distance." Ayan finally surrendered sitting on the side of a stream. Pounding her aching legs.

The twins followed their mother and slumped on the grassy patch catching their breaths. Seeing them groan, Clayton didn't have the heart to disturb them. 

"Half an hour, then we continue." he allowed and walked around to see if there was something useful. 

Ayan took this time to catch her breath and talk to the fairy spirit. 

"Are you there?"

"Here."

"Oh, thank goodness!" He wasn't up yesterday making her nervous. "Fairy, where have you been? You scared me to death."

"I went to sleep to gather energy. It took you a long time to cross, don't you know? I waited until you finally broke through."

Ayan made an 'oh' sound then peeked inside the fairy ring. What she saw made her jaw drop. Beyond the orchard near the house, there are fields and fields of various crops in every acre of land. 

About two acres of hills to the right side of the house was made into rice terraces, facing it is another two acres of tea plantation. The image was picturesque as though it was a painting made from the finest brushstroke. 

In the tea field, Ayan found the little fairy boy picking wearing farmer's clothes complete with a straw hat and a basket on his back while picking up tea leaves.  

"You…" 

"I'm the spirit of the fairy ring, of course, this dimension is my responsibility," he said, sensing her upcoming question. "You were in the space between worlds for how many years. You may not have felt it but I had nothing to do so I planted the seeds you bought and sowed them to the fields."

Why does she feel that he did this out of boredom?

"But so many crops."

"Who told you to collect so many? I can only plant them. You can choose to harvest and put the harvest in the barn or not, they won't go bad."

"I see," Ayan sighed in relief. "What's your name by the way?"

She cannot always call him a little boy, fairy spirit or fairy boy. 

"None, you can name me however you want." 

Ayan detected a little hint of excitement from that. Does he secretly want to be named? She smiles slyly. "Alright, then I'll name you Coco."

"I'll take the name graciously."

"Well, then Coco is the water from the lake drinkable?"

She had been thinking about it. Is fairy water able to nourish their bodies? Just kidding, she was only being cautious just in case they arrived at a place far from the water source next. Walking near the water source is not safe either because animals tend to gather near it to cool off and drink. 

"Not for now." Coco replied. "This lake is polluted by sludge from different kinds of divine creatures, their dirt is not suited for mortals to ingest."

Ayan shuddered. Who would want to drink their bathwater? Even if it was from divine creatures, she doesn't think she can stomach that at all. 

Coco added, "However if you find another special artefact in that world the water from the lake will gradually recover. There will be plenty of benefits."  

In the end, Ayan was not disappointed. She smiled from ear to ear. 

"Mother?" Raven asked. 

She cleared her throat and made an excuse for her silly behaviour, "Don't worry, let me walk over there a bit. Maybe there is food."

Clayton looked at her back strangely. She avoided his eyes. 

Behind the tall reeds, Ayan saw several broods of nestlings. Mute swans and ducks are swimming on the water. Even when they saw her coming, none of them moved to escape and continue with their preening and swimming.  

"Coco, can I put animals inside?"

"Yes, you can." Coco answered, his eyes brightened with emotion. 

Slowly, Ayan crept on the nest and put the chicks into the space. Most of these chicks will not survive as they grow up, taking a few will not hurt the brood. 

"I'll leave them in your care." she said. 

Coco received five swans from different nests and five ducklings. He was twisting a hazel fence for them when a beehive suddenly appeared on a mango tree in the orchard. 

"I just found it," Ayan said. "It's also nice to have our own honey."

Coco looked at it briefly and nodded his head. These bees are very useful, they can help him pollinate the plants. Then three chicken hens came and one cock.

"It looks like a lucky harvest outside." he mused, quickly urging his power to manipulate the vines into creating a good enclosure. 

Ayan finished collecting fowls and took out food from the orchard like yesterday. When she returned she was holding fat clumps of red grapes, bananas and four bright yellow mangoes on her skirt. Clayton caught two plump rabbits and is already done cleaning them. 

"There are plenty of animals out," Ayan mumbled. 

Clayton was distracted for a moment when he noticed the scratches on her face, her hair had a lot of grass in it and her hands were clotted with dirt. Just where did she go? 

"It's only natural that the animals begin to frolic since autumn is coming soon."

"No wonder."

She finally realized it, no wonder the temperature is lower despite the vigorous sun. With the forest beginning to glow with yellow, red and orange, animals will also gradually feast to store fat for winter. Some larger animals will start their courtship and mate at the end of autumn. At that time, the forest will be more dangerous.

She hopes they make it out of here before the snow falls. 

Clayton cleared his throat and grunted, "Go wash in the stream."

She looked at herself and laughed awkwardly.   

Their lunch for today is a roasted rabbit with a simple seasoning of sage and salt Clayton saved in his satchel. Ayan saw that there weren't many things inside. There is only a kettle, a pewter cup, a box of spices left and the fire steel she gave him, the journey is still long. 

Among all things, salt is very important. The body will grow weak if they lack salt. She has a lot of those in the space but how is she going to explain pulling them out? 

She was distracted throughout the meal and did not notice it when they finished. 

"We need to keep going." Clayton declared after they drank boiled water. 

Thus the four of them resumed the journey travelling until late in the afternoon. As they go higher, the air becomes thinner, the children and Clayton have good stamina while she struggles with every step. 

It would be good if she can convert all these fats in her body to energy instead of clogging her arteries! 

How the heck did she grow this big when she barely ate in these past few years? Did she accidentally eat fertilizer? 

"Mother, a little bit more." Raven encouraged in front.

Carmine was already a few meters away grinning on top of a rock. "I win, I get here first!" 

Their parents who lagged a few steps behind only waved back for an answer. These kids' energy is enviable! 

"Are you alright?" Clayton asked when he noticed she slowed down. Her face was chalky white. 

She waved him off, "I was regretting eating too many oily foods at every meal." 

Her joking remark threw him off balance. Ever since they married and her body changed she became as silent as a statue, the traces of the wayward girl he knew totally disappeared. 

"Thankfully, there wasn't much oil in our diet now." he replied dully. They hadn’t eaten a decent meal since leaving the path. 

Ayan didn't understand why he had to be so self-deprecating. She was trying to make the conversation light. 

She snorted, "No oil? The fat rabbits you caught must be feeling so sad right now."

Clayton also realized his mood was too sullen so he changed his words. 

"There are red boars in the middle of the forest if we're lucky we might be able to taste it next." 

Red boars are a rare delicacy even to people with high status. Its meat is tender, the fat is not greasy and has high nutritional value. For someone like Clayton, catching the elusive animal is easy but Ayan didn't want to add more to his burden. 

"Heaven forbid, at this height, I'd rather wish for stronger lungs than lard choking my blood vessels." Even though he still has skills his body, however, could not keep up. 

He nearly laughed despite himself. Clayton did not say more and kept her horrified image in mind.

 

42