56. The Secluded Monastery of Naya
348 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Imperial Capital Ava 

 

Standing in front of the crowd, wearing a white and blue striped day dress, Beatrice held her lace parasol overhead then looked at the eager faces of people and wondered why cousin Dylan suddenly invited her out here. 

“What is the situation?” She inquired giving him a soft elbow on the side. 

Dylan looked down and saw mostly laces and frills of the umbrella instead of her face. “Nothing much, I just thought you might be bored out of your wits sitting alone at home so I took it upon myself to show you around. It just so happened that Lady Lucia offered to go out on a pilgrimage to a certain monastery to pray for the queen’s health.” 

“Hm, I think that the last sentence was the real reason for all of this,” Beatrice said with an eye roll. Nine out of ten possibilities were that the two women were up to no good again. Who in the capital doesn’t know that when Queen Elisse lost her shine in the palace she used the Diviner’s prestige in an attempt to crawl back up. As for Lady Lucia, everyone is aware of how much she wanted to break away from the queen’s influence by using her position to turn down Her Highness’s invitations. 

For them to get together again, could there be a hidden conspiracy?

Indeed Beatrice’s suspicion was right. 

Lucia found herself in a dilemma after realizing that only some negligible events and predictions from the book of prophecy went her way. After her adoption, she found out that the baron house of Malory who fostered her was not as strong individually without the Sybil family’s help and despite belonging to the neutral Holy Temple, Lucia later realized with horror that she will forever be inseparable from the queen’s faction. 

From the beginning till now, Elisse Sybil had not planned on letting her go. Her adoption to one of their people was an invincible chain the queen set for her and now that she is in a precarious situation inside the palace, Lucia is forced to help. 

Several times she attempted to break away from the queen by slowly accumulating people and resources for her use using the Diviner’s name. Her biggest heartache was losing key figures like Clayton Rozenberg, Sir Lachlan Morrigan, Sir Dylan Blackwood and the mysterious Kanon. Though there is still the prince of the empire and the genius warlock alchemist Master Schon, the fact that they had not shown up near her gave an ominous premonition. With the queen after her, Lucia is more determined to find her supporters.

Only when she is far from Sybil can she truly enjoy her new life. 

The queen who placed her in this position was also in the same frantic state eager to squeeze a miracle out of her. Queen Elisse was in tears when her brother finally came to pay her a visit after getting past several procedures to get inside the imperial palace. 

Roy Sybil was in his blackest mood when facing her. 

“I was not informed about the changes in Ava.” He said grimly. 

Although His Majesty had a lukewarm relationship between the siblings, he would maintain the same leniency he had to any member of the imperial house when welcoming him inside the palace but, today the steps were rather a lot more rigid. When he coldly remarked about undergoing strict treatment when visiting his only relative, the Holy Knights gave a concise and stiff answer: every individual stepping in the royal residence had to follow protocols.  

That is to say that the order came directly from the emperor himself. Added by the sudden recall of his soldiers, he had a hunch that His Majesty might have grown suspicious of his actions in the northeast. But who could have leaked his plan? Not even his trusted adjutant was aware of his real intentions when he started the scheme over a year ago. 

Opposite him, the queen dabbed the corner of her eyes, “Brother, how was I supposed to send you a message when I myself is confined within my apartments? Ever since the Crown Prince came back my position fell.” 

“You are under house arrest?” Roy’s frown turned deeper.

The queen’s face looked unnaturally pale. 

The Crown Prince again! When he disappeared and was rumoured to have broken off the emperor he sent men to follow his tracks but none of those brought him relevant information that could pinpoint the bastard's location until a few months ago. Prince Reginald Asturia, could His Majesty’s treatment of his sister have something to do with him? If so, then the whispers about the father and son’s relationship breaking off was nothing but a sham. It could also be a strategy to probe their sibling’s intentions. 

When the realization hit Roy, a chill slowly seized his heart. No, that’s impossible!

All people of the empire are aware that the Crown Prince left the palace and threatened to put down his inheritance if he received Elisse Sybil as his second wife. The eldest prince was completely disheartened when his sister entered the palace and on the day of her arrival, Prince Reginald set off without talking to the emperor. The relationship of the imperial family dropped to a freezing point along with his departure. But if all of these were just carefully laid strategies… restlessness slowly emerged from the depths of his stomach. The imperial family is a lot more complex than what they have judged. 

His Majesty might have seen through him long before he placed his sister beside him. But those people wouldn’t be so confident in supporting them if that was the case. Roy waved off his outrageous theory and told himself not to fall into the same paranoid state as his sister. 

Queen Elisse gripped her handkerchief out of shape and could barely hide the hostility in her tone when speaking, “The recent events in Ava, I am afraid no one was able to thoroughly explain to you. Did you know that after the plan for the 5th Order fell through, another group came to stir the already muddy waters of the imperial capital? The damned publisher of the article about those wretches’ accident was raided in her home, it is a pity she did not die during the attack!” 

It only took all morning for the matter to spread all over the city. Now the gossip about revenge went out of hand and is now running rampant that the people began speculating about the Sybil family, the queen in particular. She must have held the grudge on the poor countess for publishing the article that shamed her in front of the emperor. Although Countess Verit Cecil survived the attack, the Sybi family’s reputation is now in a precarious situation.  

She summoned all their supporters but was given a cold shoulder. The reason for it was the death of the imperial physician, the dismissal of the Grand Chamberlain and the demotion of most of the ministers who were under their banner. In fact, the queen wouldn’t have this problem today if only she fought to defend their people early on but she did not, she chose to stay silent for fear of further angering the emperor and completely losing her status. She also had some paranoid guesses that the one who attacked that countess might be one of theirs who resented her. But Queen Elisse dare not tell Roy about this. She knew her brother, the blame will fall on her head! 

Her life was going smoothly. She had everything within her grasp… if only that article did not come out! 

“Everything, everything was their fault. Why didn’t that bereaved widow die?!” The queen shouted hysterically. “You have to help me find justice… I know Verit Cecil, she’s one of the empress’ old friends. She must have done that as a favour for the slut Delph—” 

Queen Elisse choked on the rest of her words when Roy gave her a cold glare. 

“Remember where you are.” He said in a dangerous tone. They have no idea how much of the imperial residence is still under the control of the monarchs. Although they placed several confidantes and spies, this is still the Asturia family’s domain. “No matter how much you abhor her, you cannot show it on your face. Openly showing contempt… you know that even the title you hold cannot save you.”

Queen Elisse gritted her teeth until her gums bled. Unwillingness filled her heart. She knows how much worth her title as a queen holds. It’s not even worth the tip of that despicable slut’s shoe! 

Roy cared for none of his sister’s thoughts. He had more urgent things to think of. As for that group that attacked the countess, he was only half convinced that it was the empress or perhaps the crown prince who took advantage of the event to further put the blame on their family’s head. This is not the imperial family’s style to engage in brash tactics. Nevertheless, the people who aimed to kill the owner of the Tribune papers were also meant to drag the Sybil family down. 

“Lucia Neu has to play her part well,” Roy said. 

As the empire's Diviner with the Holy Temple as an ancient institution behind her, Lucia can easily capture the hearts of the masses and as long as people remember she was held by the Sybil family to reach where she is today, those with ill-intentions can only watch from the sidelines for the time being. Their family will not fall. 

Roy planned to strengthen the Sybil family’s power while his sister sits as the queen by seizing the unclaimed title held by the monarchs. If only Elisse had more influence on the emperor, he did not have to think of such elaborate and roundabout schemes. But alas, his sister not only failed to capture the emperor’s heart, but she also failed in putting a wedge between the emperor and the empress. But so what? There is still room for manoeuvre. He has a trump card and it was sure to change the mind of the emperor. 

A small baron and a commander rank whetted his appetite to desire for more. These small things can no longer satisfy him. 

He thought of that fertile land in the northeast and the ghost of a smile formed on his lips. 

In a few days, the delegates from Ma-i will arrive. He needed to make a new plan to convince the emperor that there would be no benefits in joining hands with those barbarians. Before everything settles, he will show everyone the true face of the Ma-i tribe and as the person who victoriously revealed their conspiracy, His Majesty might lift the ban on his sister and allow him to lead the troops towards the tribal island. By then, his fame will slowly spread and be cemented further. No one can look down on the Sybil family again.  

“These days, try not to come out too often and do not attempt to come near His Majesty. The more you long for him, the more he will become repulsive. Give it time.” Roy said calmly. 

“I understand…” 

Queen Elisse held her stomach. Due to extreme anxiety, she had been unwell lately and with the help of her attendants, a simple cold was passed on to the main hall as an illness. However, she still failed to solicit pity from His Majesty. It seems he was thoroughly disheartened with the fate of the 5th Order. The queen gritted her teeth wishing the old Commander Sidrain to just fall dead and because of her pent up emotion breaking out of control her pregnancy was affected. 

On the emperor’s part, to avoid the issue of estrangement within the palace, he still sent his aid to visit the queen’s apartments and check on her condition. Queen Elisse cried in fear, this child is their only chip left to the monarchs. She cannot lose it! 

Lucia was then sent to help her but under the condition that they must convince the emperor to allow her to go on an important journey under the guise of praying for the queen’s health. And so she went. On the streets near the city gate, Lucia looked outside the carriage with an ashen face when she saw a large crowd had gathered to send her off. 

“They have come to wish you well in your journey, milady.” James Eidloth said with a smile in his eyes. 

Lucia shrank deeper into her seat which James wrongly interpreted as her being modest and shy. Receiving the people’s ardent adoration might be too much for her to bear, she is the only Diviner of Asturia after all. Today they are heading to a place her ladyship pointed at the map, she volunteered to pray for the queen’s health and decided that the secluded monastery would be best. 

People were skeptical in the beginning, how could a monastery be in an unmarked area on the map? But it was their Diviner who assured them the journey will not be in vain so they could only put their faith in her.

Lucia pinched the sides of her luxurious robe in anxiety. Unbeknownst to everyone, the reason for going to that place was not only to pray but for the treasure the monks kept. If her guess is correct, that thing mentioned in the book can help enhance her healing power. Fate is still on her side, despite losing a few important supporters she is confident that she would be able to fulfill her foretold destiny if she followed the prophecy. First, find the treasure and when her strength grew it was only a matter of time before those people recognized her value. They will come to her in their own volition.  

Her thoughts flew to that mysterious place. She was eager to improve her healing power, that way, she would no longer need to rest for several days to replenish her strength and can finally lift her head high when being called as Diviner. With this in mind, Lucia’s cheeks regained their colour. No one aside from her knows where the treasure is, nor were the people aware that such an interesting place lay quietly just outside the imperial capital. Since it was neglected for so long, it would be just fine to claim its rewards, wouldn’t it? She thought justifiably. 

 

Twenty miles outside of the imperial capital where mist and clouds tumble upon the towering stone monoliths, a lonesome monastery rests on top like a crown. Since ancient times, the monastery was a place of retreat for the weary and for the devoted who wished to convey their heartfelt prayer to the gods. 

Naya was built a long time ago that even the oldest of the monks can no longer remember why a place hoisted several meters off the ground came to be. For Ayan who is currently marvelling at its ancient beauty, a slight familiarity hit her. It was like Meteora monastery and the Grand Canyon meshed into one creating this magical and breathtaking scenery. 

As for why they are here, it was due to an emergency happening to the delegates of Ma-i during their travel. The second princess with her frail and delicate constitution was not used to long journeys such as this. Added by the change of food and water, her already wan self fell ill. The convoy had to stop a few times and Naya is their fifth place of rest.  

A couple of hours before arriving here, everyone except Ayan had no idea that such a place near the town they were supposed to stop by existed. Trusting his lady’s words, Clayton sent a messenger to inquire about the monastery and announce their arrival. 

“Milk!” Carmine screamed happily as he pointed at the twin sculpture of a winged snow leopard standing by the archway of a wide stone bridge. “Mommy look, it is a huge Milk.”

“Careful,” Ayan said gently when the child bounced from his seat to lean on the window of the carriage. “Let’s take a look at it later after we have settled, alright?”

Raven sighed and gave his brother a subtle glare: How old are you? 

Carmine scrunched up his face: Hey, I’m five! 

Their companions riding the horses also curiously cast a glance at the gigantic winged leopards majestically guarding the entrance. Rising at about four meters tall with their whole bodies crafted so lifelike in alabaster and eyes of yellow gems. 

Meow~ 

Milk let out a displeased snort and stretched his body lazily on Raven’s lap. His two tiny ears flicked slightly while gazing haughtily at the statues: Someday, I will grow even bigger than you!

“How are you feeling milady?” Clayton’s deep warm voice sounded. 

Ayan held her cheek in her hand and threw the man opposite her a teasing glance. “Do you find me so frail, milord?”

“We have been on the road for many days, aside from that you also took it upon yourself to help with the arrangement of our convoy’s provisions. I worry that your body might not be able to stand it.” 

*cough cough* Ayan choked on her saliva and cursed him secretly. If I hadn’t seen you grinning so happily I would believe you were truly concerned about my being. 

Since leaving Arpeggio and with the restraints of the long journey, she thought this man would at least behave, but alas, she did not expect the wolf to grow even more excited when they are out in the wild. He would secretly molest her here and there!

Damn wolf man! She should let him dry up for a month. 

“Lachlan and Commander Sidrain’s troops are stationed nearby. I will take some time to check their situation and return as soon as possible. An intel came that someone began to gather grains and fodders privately causing a sudden shortage of the army provisions and horse feed. If this continues to develop uncontrollably, I’m afraid the war we were trying to avoid may break out prematurely.”

The playful smile disappeared from Ayan’s face and she felt her whole body turn cold. This was not the result she expected. Roy Sybil had been called back to the imperial capital along with his soldiers. Being in close proximity to his majesty she is certain that he will not do tricks that will solicit the emperor’s suspicion. 

She closed her eyes briefly and recalled the contents of the story. Aside from the plague of miasma, a large-scale famine also came when the passages leading to the south were blocked. The southern territory of the empire is an abundant land named the golden granary because of fertile grounds and bountiful harvests. Almost half of the capital and its nearby territories depend on them for food. Once it is blocked, you can imagine the severe consequences to Asturia’s people. It would only grow a lot worse when the plague spreads and the war comes.  

Ayan rubbed the fairy ring on her finger. That dream she had before crossing, she understood it now. Even when they stop the blight, the land dedicated for growing food within the empire can only sustain the territories to which they belong. Where do they get the surplus to feed less than a hundred thousand soldiers in the field? Their troops are doomed before the battle even starts. 

Facing the matter with utmost clarity Ayan felt she somehow touched the core of the problem: The cursed artifacts were only a diversion to add chaos and unrest. The enemy is slowly crippling them before thoroughly snuffing their remaining strength by blocking their last chance to survive. 

“Husband,” Ayan said looking into his eyes. “Remember what I said about the book?”

Clayton was captured by those enchanting grey eyes he changed from his relaxed posture. 

“The miasma will continue to spread but that is only if we fail to collect the cursed artifacts they planted and so far, Teacher Darius is on his final journey to find the last piece. The enemy still doesn’t know that we already realized their plan. When the Teacher returns to the capital to report to His Majesty about the contamination, let the news about the artifacts be hidden first.”

“Do you mean that we should withhold announcing the fact that we already have a solution on how to resolve it?”

Ayan nodded. “The enemy is confident that Asturia will not be able to recover. They planted those cursed things to gloat over our demise. You see, even if the Diviner comes and performs an ablution ritual, the miasma will still regenerate because of the things they buried all over the empire. Any attempt to cleanse the blight will be a fruitless effort.” 

It was an insidious and heartless trick. 

“So that is to say that let the enemy be confident about their plan,” Clayton said, looking at his lady with open appreciation in his eyes. 

“It’s also to make sure they proceed as they intended.” 

“I see,” he smiled gently and held her close. He decided to tell her a certain story about the territories in the south. “Two hundred years ago, before my ancestors left the empire for the Lattice Kingdom, the Crown Prince of that time and the Rozenberg commander led a war against the Lancel Kingdom of the south. They conquered it and is now known as the Longinus fiefdom. Perhaps, the gloom and grudge from that era have not been thoroughly wiped out that they began hatching that sinister trick of planting cursed artifacts all over the empire.”  

When Beck started his investigation he didn’t know where or when those accursed things would appear but he searched for them anyway in hopes of alleviating Asturia’s burden. If it wasn’t for Ayan’s information from this said book she found when her soul drifted in the void until now those things would remain unrooted.

“The imperial family discovered the south’s intention to revolt but it was a little too late. The enemies have strengthened themselves over the years of dormancy and have extended their claws inward. If the imperial family moves arbitrarily it might spark a premature war that will cause Asturia’s downfall. His Majesty and the Crown Prince had to play the fool to lower their guards and keep their eyes off their movements while carefully identifying each of those involved in the conspiracy.” Clayton paused for thought then rubbed the pad of his thumb to her smooth cheek. “Only when knowing who the co-collaborators of the southern territories would the imperial family be able to fight back by removing them one by one. If the prince’s errand failed…”   

Chaos will descend and the south will break out from their long confinement and stab the empire to its fatal spot. Ayan was speechless after hearing it. This was not mentioned in the book. So the fall of Asturia wasn’t just because of the Dark Continent growing stronger but a well-calculated man-made disaster!

Seeing her worry, Clayton held her hand and gently kissed it. “We are not entirely helpless now.” 

The miasma should have been an attempt to divide the imperial legion into different parts of the empire leaving the capital in a helpless state. But since both Lachlan and Commander Sidrain are alive and well, they wouldn't have such an easy time marching towards Ava. 

The convoy passed and made a long line along the stone bridge towards the wide courtyard of the monastery. An older monk wearing a brown hood covering him from feet up and two younger ones pushed the heavy double doors of the entrance. With careful steps and an amiable smile, the old monk walked down the portico to welcome them. 

“Welcome guests to Naya monastery.” Father Vonni greeted. Through clear and wizened eyes, he gazed at the visitors one by one and finally stopped at the young marchioness holding a white ball of fur on her arms. 

Aware of his gentle scrutiny, Ayan looked up and smiled at him. “Thank you elder for providing us shelter for tonight.”

“Your Ladyship is generous and kind, it is by heaven’s will that you find this place along your travels. I, as one of its messengers, welcome you wholeheartedly.” After saying so, he gestured for them to follow him inside. 

The two apprentices on the side looked at Father Vonni, baffled why the usually cantankerous hermit who normally hated guests came out in person to greet the new arrivals. The boys looked surreptitiously to the bright sky wanting to know if it's going to hurl thunder and hail later. It seems normal though. They looked at each other and realized how silly they looked. 

Naya may be a remote place but it is by no means humble in its appearance. The monastery occupies a floor space of 70,000 sq feet with twenty empty resting chambers, arches, high domed ceilings with frescoes, walls with religious reliefs and historical paintings. Although she had read about the description of the monastery before, seeing the real thing was far more different and gave Ayan a profound feeling of closeness to it. 

From the portico to the vestibule the vast inner chamber of Naya came into their view. 

“Your Ladyship, please.” Father Vonni slowed down, matching Ayan’s steps with an intention of bringing her forward.

On the other hand, the two apprentices gestured for the rest to follow them to a different location. Just as they were about to lead them to a passage on the right, the second princess of Ma-i suddenly let out a protest. 

“As guests of this place, aren’t we supposed to get equal treatment or do the people of the empire intend to be partial?” She questioned harshly. 

Father Vonni stopped in his tracks, and with a calm smile, he spoke. “Her Ladyship is a distinguished person blessed by the light born once in a century, it is our honour to receive her in our humble monastery. We as the keeper of Naya must extend our heartfelt gratitude for gracing us with her presence.” 

Ma-i’s tribal chief is aware of the deep-rooted customs of the empire. The position of the person blessed by the light is equal to the position of the priestess in their tribe so he hastened to signal his second daughter to end her quibbling lest they offend the people of Asturia. The tribal chief gave a glance at the lady with vibrant red hair. In the days of travelling with their escort knights, he had more or less known of her. She is the spouse of the commander leading their convoy and a mother of two. His daughter had openly declared that she is fond of Commander Clayton Rozenberg and did not mind if he had a wife already, of course, he is also aware that his daughter is hostile towards the lady. Fortunately, the lady in question did not take his daughter’s attitude to heart.

Lady Rozenberg had little aristocratic air about her but who would have imagined she held such a high status?  

“Mara, Her Ladyship’s status is far beyond ours. Curb your foolish behaviour before you incur wrath.” The tribal chief warned the errant child. 

“I was only inquiring,” Mara reasoned resentfully. “Besides, it is true that it was the empire who extended their invitation to us. We should have better treatment.” 

“If our dear guest finds our arrangement lacking, perhaps the town nearby could provide a much ample service befitting your standards.” The young apprentices suggested with a straight face. 

Another echoed, “There are several inns you can choose from. All of which are frequented by travellers all over the empire.” 

It was a subtle hint that those places are crowded and noisy. Between staying in this fortress and those shabby places, which will you choose? 

Mara, the lady veiled by gauze, stomped her foot in anger and turned her back. The chieftain shook his head and apologized for her behaviour then followed his daughter’s wake. When they arrived at the assigned resting chambers, Mara, who held a grudge could no longer hold it and slammed the door heavily locking her maids outside. 

“What distinguished status? Isn’t that the same as saying that I am inferior to her?! Why?” She shouted but only an echo replied. 

This was not the first time he heard her father say these degrading words to her. The first time was when she and her sister Diwa reached their flowering age last summer. As daughters of the chieftain with a prestigious bloodline, they have to conduct the ceremony to select the next priestess who will guide the whole island towards peace and prosperity. Their clan has flourished and survived for hundreds of years, avoiding many disasters thanks to the guidance of the venerable priestess. 

Ever since she could remember, Mara had always aimed to be that kind of person. To be the only one above thousands, adored and envied. The obsession grew as she matured and faced her shortcomings head-on. Born from the second wife of the tribal chief, she hadn’t tasted true happiness because of the existence of her sister, Diwa, the one born from the main wife. Her presence was a constant thorn in her heart and as long as she was there, she could never erase the proof of her mediocre existence. Everything she did will always be shadowed. 

But on that night of the full moon in summer, her most anticipated miracle did not fall on her but on the sister she most hated. It was then that Mara’s harboured hatred reached its peak and did an unforgivable taboo. 


Hello again, your lazy/sickly banana here. If any of you lovies have any doubts and confusions don't hesitate to ask me. Let's be confused together ahahaha. Waaa~ I miss writing this.

10