Chapter 8. Babbling Merchant & Boles Village
490 8 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry for the delay

"Fortunately the town we are going to pass is not yet controlled by that kind of landed noble." (Our Territory Merchant)

"...?" (Unknown)

"Hey, are you guys talking about those charges?" 

There is a care-free traveling merchant whose carriage is in front of us who suddenly joins our conversation while still in his own carriage. He was very loud when he spoke to us, making our carriage driver seem a little annoyed.

“Generally, when we, the merchants, pass through an area that has a landlord. They will usually charge a fee so that we can be allowed to pass through their territory and their fee always varies. You can predict the impact on us with just that."

"Such as service fees for sending letters can be more costly?"

"Yes."

“Wow. I just found out about that."

"Your territory lord didn't implement it and it's your first time to go outside of that territory so it's acceptable!" (Answer Traveling merchant in front, still shouting.)

Well, that's because if my father imposes this levy, you, the merchants, no one will stop by our territory.

"But the point is, this fee really becomes our obstacle. Just think if this fee system didn't exist. Our business can grow faster. And do you know what it feels like when on the way we are attacked by bandits or monsters and then take a loss from it, then we pass through the territory of one of the noble and then noble then ask for a fee? Do you know how painful it is?!" Continued the traveling merchants, solemnly, but still shouting.

Yes, yes. You're getting too much emotions into it now, old man. Let's move the sub-topic a little.

“Has our king not made a policy about this kind of fee? For example, the fee rate is the same for each region. Anyway, is this even legal? " (Unknown)

"You seem an educated person, lad. As an adult, I remind you. You have to be careful when it comes to the King. I don't want to talk badly about the King. But from the start, I don't even know if there are such regulations or not, we are just small traveling merchants, but we hope this fee problem can be resolved. At a minimum, the fee rates are the same as you said earlier. That's a good idea!" Said The Travelling Merchant. Yeah, still shouting.

"..."

“Hey, I heard that the Merchant Guild will be established in the capital and it is said that their objective is to take care of this levy issue. They said they would negotiate and cooperate with the landed nobles so that when merchants who are members of the guild want to pass through one of the territories of landed nobles that are cooperating with the guild, they will not be charged." (Our Territory Merchant)

“Ah, I also heard these rumors. I admit that's a good idea too! " (Traveling Merchant, also still shouting)

"But, I'm pessimistic it will work. You know the nobles in this area won't care about that. ” (Our Territory Merchant)

"Well, they're educated people. I'm sure it will work!" (Traveling Merchant)

"But even if it is successful, it will only happen in the capital and in the surrounding areas. I don't know how long their influence will get here, in this remote area." (Our Territory Merchant)

"Ahh ..."

There is a point too.

"You are right. Well, as a merchant, my mentality has received all kinds of the bitter and sweet reality of life. I'm not really hopeful either."

""Buhahahaha!" (Traveling Merchant & Our Territory Merchant)

They laugh together.

"..."

There was no problem that happened to our group on the way. Our journey went smoothly. When we reached the checkpoint (a suitable place for a carriage to stop, sometimes close to a stream, small lake, trees, and ground sufficiently flat to be able to pitch a tent) at midday, we stopped there, filled our stomachs, filled our horses' bellies, rested for a while and then we continued our journey again.

During the trip from midday to evening, we didn't have any problems either.

The day then getting dark. The next checkpoint said the merchants and Casey were a small village. They estimate the group will reach the village in about one to two hours.

And about an hour later, we reached the village in question.

This village is called Boles Village. Casey and merchants from our territory then go to the villagers who are on duty at night in front of the village fence to meet with the village chief, representing us to ask permission to be able to stay temporarily in the village until tomorrow.

In the distance, I saw Casey first give his identity as Adventure while talking to the villager who is the guard and one of the merchants from our territory also explained his identity.

Hearing Casey's D-Rank Adventure identity as well as the merchant's identity from my father's territory, the face of the villager who was on duty at night, who was originally wary on us, then relaxed a bit.

And then one of them went into the inner village, it seems like he going to tell the village chief.

The population of Boles Village is approximately 108 people, said one merchant employee from our territory (yes, the problematic employee that our territory merchant scolded earlier).

This village is like a village in general. The village is self-sufficient, has fields, and has several wells of its own.

They survive by hunting wild animals such as rabbits or other edible wild animals to meet their needs for meat and some villagers who have enough money, raise the livestock or farming, and others who are more creative, they opening a business in their respective house like brew ale or make clothes.

Not long after, one of the villagers who left earlier came back again to the front and said something to Casey and our merchant.

Negotiations seemed to be going smoothly, Casey and a merchant from our territory came back here with very bright expressions and told us that we were allowed to stay in the village for the night.

To Be Continued

100% Accuracy and Grammatically Correct Not Guaranteed. Revisions, Corrections, and Edits Are Periodically Done. Corrections, Critics, and Suggestions Are Welcome, So Don't Hesitate to Leave Comments. Don't Forget To Bookmark and Favorite If You Enjoyed It. Thanks

14