Prologue
629 12 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I never liked humans.

Humans are nasty, brutish, and short.

If given the chance, humans would consume everything with greed. They would strip the earth of its bounties, terrorize the weak, and raze all organic life to the ground with autonomous killer robots and atomic cluster bombs. 

In the world that I come from, space pollution constantly tumbles out of low orbit, spewing harmful chemicals into the atmosphere. They say that it's a bad idea to get caught outside in the acid rain, because the rainwater is carcinogenic. Everyone installs air filters on their subterranean homes, and anyone wealthy enough to afford it goes outside with gas masks.

There aren't really trees.

Or wild animals, really — specifically mammals or birds.

There are tons of big insects though.

I don't really like bugs.

They spread radiation poisoning wherever they go.

It's mostly just a rocky desert wasteland on the surface.

When I read books from the past, I always marvel about what it must have been like when Earth still had forests. People used to wake up to singing birds? Squirrels and pigeons in cities? All of those things seem unimaginable to me. 

Growing up, I voraciously consumed those stories like fairy tales. There were over a million digital books saved on my electronic tablet, and that small cracked device was my greatest treasure. I wanted to escape to a fantasy world of greenery and life, blessed by the glorious shining sun. 

I live in a concrete jungle, deep underground in an ancient bunker.

I've never seen a living tree except in picture books.

Is it as nice as they say?

Trees?

I'd like to see a tree before I die.

I heard there are still some petrified forests left in the world.

Maybe if we survive this orbital bombardment, I'll get a chance to go visit one.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a fossilized tree?

The raid sirens are ringing now.

Death is raining from the heavens.

Falling. And falling.

We are like ants.

Destruction is coming.

 

Sorry for continuously starting new series. >.<

This story is going to be a low-key one, probably with a bunch of short chapters and not much editing.

20